Adam Williams
Established Member
Why not do the same for rail eTickets?When I was travelling abroad recently I was happy to have things like boarding passes and a COVID pass saved on my phone but I printed out copies to act as backup.
Why not do the same for rail eTickets?When I was travelling abroad recently I was happy to have things like boarding passes and a COVID pass saved on my phone but I printed out copies to act as backup.
Ah that's where you're wrong you , with eTickets you don't need an app and if you're worried about battery life just print the PDFAnd if your phone dies or the app corrupts you have to buy a new ticket because your device is at fault.
When I was travelling abroad recently I was happy to have things like boarding passes and a COVID pass saved on my phone but I printed out copies to act as backup.
it prevents the situation that magstripe tickets don’t open barriers when they should (e.g. when changing trains, BOJ)
I don't think it's technically possible to fit an Aztec code on a credit card sized ticket and still have the necessary details printed on it too - at the moment anyway.I really can’t see why q barcode can’t be printed on magstripe stock. It actually benefits the railway as traceability is retained, it prevents the situation that magstripe tickets don’t open barriers when they should (e.g. when changing trains, BOJ), and can be used at LU.
I bought some tickets from Avanti's website yesterday and then attempted to collect them at a machine at Seven Sisters. The machine failed to print any of the tickets and advised me to contact the travel centre. I asked at the ticket desk at Enfield Town for them to print the tickets, but hey were unable to do so as the code had been used - they said I needed to call the agent and get a new collection code.
I can't find a phone number for Avanti ticket sales customer services so sent an email to their customer resolution address, but the auto reply suggests I could be waiting for a month for a response. I really want the tickets rather than to take a print out and have to argue my case with ticket inspectors as it's a many leg journey, and I'll be travelling with 2 small children and a railcard.
Any suggestions how I can get in touch with Avanti customer services "live" to get this sorted out?`
That’s the problem with staffs’ knowledge or how data is inputted. Surely barcode is capable of storing more data that a magstripe does.Based on this thread from yesterday having a scannable mobile ticket doesn't prevent BOJ issues at barriers
Northern staff at Deansgate refused to allow me to break journey on off-peak day return - had to buy ticket to leave
Hello all, Today at around 16:10, I left the Blackpool - Airport train on the return leg of a Knutsford - Bolton off peak day return, something this ticket allows. However, when I got to the street level gateline, my ticket was rejected. The guy I had at the barrier said that I had to continue...www.railforums.co.uk
Bit late now if the ticket has already been refunded.If you go to a train station ran by Avanti West Coast and go to a help desk you should be able to get the help you need there.
Perhaps utilising space at the back of the ticket to printer letters? I still think it’s doable.I don't think it's technically possible to fit an Aztec code on a credit card sized ticket and still have the necessary details printed on it too - at the moment anyway.
Ah that's where you're wrong you , with eTickets you don't need an app and if you're worried about battery life just print the PDF
Why not do the same for rail eTickets?
Well, I did not see the date and time of the post since I clicked on it from the home screen.Bit late now if the ticket has already been refunded.
It is quite unreasonable to expect passengers to go to the expense and inconvenience of printing their ticket, to avoid being issued with a Penalty Fare or prosecuted if their battery dies. Some may not have access to a printer at all - what do you suggest they do?Ah that's where you're wrong you , with eTickets you don't need an app and if you're worried about battery life just print the PDF
Just to note that section 75 will only cover individual tickets costing over £100 on their own. Multiple tickets each costing £100 or less aren't covered, even if purchased in a transaction totalling over the sum.I've asked for a cheque (partially because I've now bought the replacement tickets). As suggested, if I end up not receiving a refund, I will approach the credit card company, making a s75 claim if necessary (as the tickets were over £100).
There was no option for an eticket for this journey.Of course if you'd have bought an eTicket none of this would have happened
I agree - but very rarely find e tickets available on my journeys. But a lot of them end with Southeastern servicesNo it wasn't sarcastic, if it's available I'd always choose an eTicket nearly impossible to lose much easier for aftersales. Available on the vast majority of flows. I seriously question why people choose ToD.
Just to note that section 75 will only cover individual tickets costing over £100 on their own. Multiple tickets each costing £100 or less aren't covered, even if purchased in a transaction totalling over the sum.
Although I'm not aware of any (online) retailer that allows you to mix payment methods.On the other hand if you purchased a ticket costing £130 and only paid £80 on your credit card, then section 75 may still apply as it relates to the purchase amount, not the value of the transaction on your card.
Even if payment is partly made with eVouchers?Although I'm not aware of any (online) retailer that allows you to mix payment methods.
True, I suppose it could arise in that case.Even if payment is partly made with eVouchers?
There may be other possibilities but that is the obvious one.True, I suppose it could arise in that case.
Although I'm not aware of any (online) retailer that allows you to mix payment methods.
No it wasn't sarcastic, if it's available I'd always choose an eTicket nearly impossible to lose much easier for aftersales. Available on the vast majority of flows. I seriously question why people choose ToD.
Are you saying you get offered an eTicket option for a journey valid via London? This should not be the case. Does this ticket have a cross-London marker, or does it involve only Thameslink, or a walk (and is routed "Not Underground) between (e.g.) Waterloo and Waterloo East?One in particular for a basic journey, not a loophole ticket, but a journey valid via London, itinerary via London generated on all vending websites and the national rail website, but ticket gates and scans don’t agree.
I’ve tried the journey many times on both orange and e-ticket.
If rejected by the e-ticket scan it’s ‘definitely not valid’ in the view of some checkers at station or on train.
Hi AlistairAre you saying you get offered an eTicket option for a journey valid via London? This should not be the case. Does this ticket have a cross-London marker, or does it involve only Thameslink, or a walk (and is routed "Not Underground) between (e.g.) Waterloo and Waterloo East?
Or am I misunderstanding?