• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket validity advice - Boundary London Travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 455 boy

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2009
Messages
23
Hi

Long time member needing a bit of ticketing advice please!

I've already purchased a ticket and it can't be easily changed due to being booked through the work ticketing provider.

I need to go from

Brighton to Shepherds Bush

And then to Bond Street later in the day

And then back to Brighton

And I purchased an off peak day Travelcard costing £32.40, routed Thameslink only

Will this ticket be valid? And if so, is there a specific route I need to take? Looking at some itineraries online I'm guessing it might not be?

Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if you need more details on the ticket
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
You only need to follow the “Thameslink only” restriction until you reach London Zone 6, at which point you can use almost any operator’s services. So you can, for example, use Thameslink to East Croydon and change there for Shepherd’s Bush via Clapham Junction.
Coming back, you can - for example - go Bond Street to Farringdon where you can change for Brighton.
Ticket is shown at https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail...pert=on&flow=1&multi=1&fare=8&rte=789&tkt=ODT with its time restrictions, but they’re unlikely to affect you. No evening restrictions.
 
Last edited:

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,186
As long as you use Thameslink as far as East Croydon you’re fine to do what you want (I know there is an argument that it’s valid on any GTR train but that’s up to you’re appetite for possible aggro).
You can use any train/operator within zones 1-6
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
As long as you use Thameslink as far as East Croydon you’re fine to do what you want (I know there is an argument that it’s valid on any GTR train but that’s up to you’re appetite for possible aggro).
You can use any train/operator within zones 1-6
To be clear, the chances of being charged a new/excess/penalty fare are very slim. I am aware of various forum members who have been using these tickets on Govia Thameslink's other brands recently, in order to 'mystery shop' to see if GTR are still engaging in unlawful practice, but no charging has taken place.

Anyone who is charged a new/excess/penalty fare is arguably entitled to claim a refund.

If anyone buys a ticket through the forum's ticketing site routed "Thameslink Only" and is charged a new/excess/penalty fare, then I personally would be happy to assist in any reasonably practical way, such as assisting with proofreading letters etc, to obtain a refund, and if all reasonable efforts are fruitless, then I can make arrangements for the cost to be covered, but this seems extraordinary unlikely.

The last case I was aware of was a few years ago, and GTR did refund the customer:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top