• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Retailer for Custom Through Journeys & Specific Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnerazuma

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2022
Messages
94
Location
London
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a UK rail ticket retailer that allows me to select specific trains and form a valid itinerary on a single through advance ticket. For example, I would like to book a journey from London King's Cross to Edinburgh and choose specific train models like the IC225 for part of the journey, and then continue with other specific models for different TOCs, with extra changing time at large station en route inc Doncaster, Leeds, York and Newcastle.

Put it simply, I am looking for a retailer that allows me to search for specific point-to-point journeys first and then combine multiple such journeys into a single through advance ticket, ensuring it remains valid as a through itinerary rather than split tickets.

I am aware that simpler routes like Southern only service from London Victoria to Southampton change at Gatwick and Brighton can be accommodated by Ticket Forum's site, but I am struggling to find a retailer that can handle more complex itineraries with multiple specific trains for each leg of the journey, especially during engineering works when there are easements that allow travelling out of the usual permitted route.

Does anyone know of such a retailer? Cheers.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
I don’t believe such exists as it is unlikely to comply with Rail Delivery Group requirements. The Forum’s site allows you to specify increased interchange times which will give you some flexibility.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,782
Location
UK
This is an incredibly niche requirement; considering the complexity of the accreditation process it is unlikely to be economic to get any site accredited to offer such features.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,979
Location
Airedale
First of all, split tickets are valid for a through itinerary (eg in case of delay), so your assumption is flawed.
Second, a through Advance ticket from London to Edinburgh would be operator-specific; it might be possible to find a LNER&CONNECTIONS fare to somewhere like Prestonpans but finding availability with multiple changes of non-LNER train all the way from Doncaster would be incredibly unlikely.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,563
Location
LBK
Put it simply, I am looking for a retailer that allows me to search for specific point-to-point journeys first and then combine multiple such journeys into a single through advance ticket, ensuring it remains valid as a through itinerary rather than split tickets.
Why does it need to be a single advance? What does this achieve for you that splits with an itinerary don't? I think you're a bit misled on what an Advance is - they aren't on every flow or station pair, and aren't endlessly customisable in the way you seem to think they are.
 

pelli

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2016
Messages
356
If you know which itinerary you want, then the forum's ticketing site seems to work, with some effort: I selected a random date in the future (14 Apr), and went on realtimetrains.co.uk to put together a random target itinerary from London King's Cross to Edinburgh changing, as suggested, at Doncaster, Leeds, York and Newcastle, using a variety of operators. I then went on BRtimes and looked up the minimum connection times at each intermediate station, to see how much extra time I should specify at each interchange to match my chosen itinerary.

1S09 GR KGX 07:30 - DON 09:09 (MCT 7min + extra 10min)
2B62 NT DON 09:26 - LDS 10:11 (MCT 10min + extra 21min)
1P19 TP LDS 10:42 - YRK 11:04 (MCT 8min + extra 20min)
1S37 XC YRK 11:32 - NCL 12:29 (MCT 8min + extra 18min)
1W11 GR NCL 12:55 - EDB 14:22

I could put this directly into the search on the beta site ( https://tickets-beta.railforums.co.uk/ ), whereas on the non-beta site ( https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/ ) it seems only three changes can be specified initially, but if you then edit your search then you can add a fourth one (or more).
KGX-EDB_search_beta.png

KGX-EDB_search.png
Either way, I was then offered the desired itinerary, with a single Advance through ticket if splits are turned off:
KGX-EDB_result_beta.png

KGX-EDB_result.png

However, as others have said, split tickets are no less valid than through tickets and can in this case save £16.83 after the share of saving fee is deducted, by splitting at Peterborough (but to get this itinerary to show with splitting turned on, I had to add in "avoid stopping at Grantham" to exclude the 07:27 and 07:33 departures from KGX). And if the desired itinerary is incompatible with a through ticket (whether due to routeing or quotas), then splitting allows you to still get the tickets you need to travel.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,715
Location
Burgess Hill
The journey planner behind TrainSplit does actually support performing a journey search which only includes specific train UIDs. I believe we only use this feature in the Android app, where it's used for buying tickets for a specific train you're viewing the live running info for.

While I can't imagine the feature would be useful for most, there's nothing that would prevent this option being exposed by manually setting it in the website URL, for example. Certainly not a priority, but something that can be thought about.
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,548
The journey planner behind TrainSplit does actually support performing a journey search which only includes specific train UIDs. I believe we only use this feature in the Android app, where it's used for buying tickets for a specific train you're viewing the live running info for.

While I can't imagine the feature would be useful for most, there's nothing that would prevent this option being exposed by manually setting it in the website URL, for example. Certainly not a priority, but something that can be thought about.
I’ve recently been journey planning where that would have been useful, as a way of forcing the planner to focus on a particular train rather than having to play with search criteria.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
I’ve recently been journey planning where that would have been useful, as a way of forcing the planner to focus on a particular train rather than having to play with search criteria.

Me too with a similar use case to OP's - forcing travel on a 225. Simple enough in my case to do it with search criteria but I suspect this isn't as niche amongst enthusiasts as one might think (although presumably would be with normals)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top