• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I've got two tickets from Peterborough to Norwich, one is a Cheap Day Return type ticket and the second is a Priv type ticket now they're valid for tomorrow but I'm no longer in a position to use them, as I brought them originally at Potters Bar does this mean I have to go to Potters Bar to request the refund or can I go to any National Rail operated ticket office?

Secondly, do I have to get them refunded on the day of validity or can I request the refund up to 28 days after purchase?

As I'm am not knowledgeable about ticketing, I would greatly appreciate any assistance here guys, thank you

E. YOUR REFUND RIGHTS

26. Refunds on tickets that have not been used.

If you decide not to use a ticket (other than a Season Ticket - see Condition 36) to make all or part of your intended journey, then:

(a) if the train you intended to use is cancelled, delayed or your reservation will not be honoured, you decide not to travel and at that time you return the unused ticket to any ticket office, the Train Company responsible for that ticket office will, if it is in a position to do so, give you an immediate full refund as shown in Condition 27.

(b) if paragraph (a) does not apply and the ticket has been bought from a Train Company’s ticket office (or a self-service machine) and you return your ticket at any Train Company’s ticket office no later than 28 days after the expiry of the ticket’s validity, you will receive a refund (subject to the notes below); or

(c) if paragraph (a) does not apply, the ticket has been bought from a Train Company’s telesales office or a Train Company’s internet website and you return the ticket to an address notified by that Train Company no later than
28 days after the expiry of the ticket’s validity, you will receive a refund (subject to the notes below); or

(d) if paragraph (a) does not apply and the ticket has been bought from a travel agent, if you return the ticket to that agent no later than 28 days after the expiry of the ticket’s validity, you will receive a refund (subject to the notes below).

Notes:

(i) The amount of the refund will normally take into account any use you have made of the ticket and in some circumstances no refund will be paid.

(ii) In the case of a refund made under (b), (c), or (d) above, you may have to pay a reasonable administrative charge (not exceeding £10).

(iii) Your right to receive a refund of all or part of the price paid may be restricted in the case of some types of reduced and discounted fare tickets, for example, those with an advance purchase requirement. These rights are set out in the notices and other publications of the relevant Train Companies.

(iv) In the case of a refund under (b), (c), or (d) above, you will not receive an immediate refund but your refund application will be processed as soon as
reasonably practicable.

(v) In the case of an Electronic Ticket, the refund process may require you to allow the person making the refund to delete the stored ticket data or to demonstrate to that person that you have done so in accordance with the conditions of that ticket.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
I've got two tickets from Peterborough to Norwich, one is a Cheap Day Return type ticket and the second is a Priv type ticket now they're valid for tomorrow but I'm no longer in a position to use them, as I brought them originally at Potters Bar does this mean I have to go to Potters Bar to request the refund or can I go to any National Rail operated ticket office?

You can request a refund for the CDR from any Ticket Office, though if it's not operated by FCC they'll just forward it to Potters Bar to process.

The refund for the PRIV, however, needs to go through Rail Staff Travel for authorisation. You'll need to complete an RSTL25805 form (last updated 1st March 2010), then forward it to your company's contact at RST (or to rpmi if retired). If authorised, they'll send it to Potters Bar for payment.

NB: FCC usually charge an admin fee of £10.00 for refunds, so you'd possibly only get back £6.70 for the CDR and nothing at all for the PRIV (the original fare presumably having been £6.50).

Secondly, do I have to get them refunded on the day of validity or can I request the refund up to 28 days after purchase?

As per Condition 26(b) of the NRCoC, you need to apply within 28 days of expiry.

HTH,

Barry
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top