• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket offices required to offer the cheapest fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Are ticket offices required to offer the cheapest fare?

Recently wife and i wanted to catch the 0852 from Redruth to Plymouth.
Redruth ticket office advised me I couldn't use my Devon and Cornwall railcard, before 0900. This is incorrect, it can be used on an off peak return after 0833.
They then told me the only ticket I can buy is the anytime return at £19.90 each if I wanted to travel on the 0852. Again incorrect as the off peak return is valid after 0833. Off peak day return only valid after 0900 though.

I should have been offered the off peak return at £12.35 each with railcard discount.

I just wanted to confirm my belief I should be offered the cheapest ticket available before making yet another complaint about the shocking service at Redruth.

Attached screen print of restriction code.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 36
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,373
No, not anymore anyway. Ticket offices and other retail staff should be offering the most suitable fare as per the impartial retailing practices. Staff should no longer simply sell the cheapest ticket without making sure it is what the customer needs for that journey.

I can't comment on what ticket should have been sold though as I am not familiar with that area. But after reading that restriction code is does appear you should have been sold the ticket you wanted.
 
Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
No, not anymore anyway. Ticket offices and other retail staff should be offering the most suitable fare as per the impartial retailing practices. Staff should no longer simply sell the cheapest ticket without making sure it is what the customer needs for that journey.

I can't comment on what ticket should have been sold though as I am not familiar with that area. But after reading that restriction code is does appear you should have been sold the ticket you wanted.

Thanks, I was told the railcard can't be used before 0900, the restriction code clearly shows otherwise.
I've had a number of issues with incorrect information and over charging at Redruth due to their lack of training on ticket restrictions. When challenged they say to write in and get refunded the difference as they're only doing what the area manager tells them. Their average for this is about 4 weeks,FGW customer relations are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. They can't even get two staff to stick to the same info.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top