• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket marked 'Specified TPE trains & connections only' doesn't use any TPE services

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2013
Messages
1,378
Evening All

I have purchased a ticket (as part of a split from the Forum's ticketing site) and one leg of the journey is on an Advance Purchase Carlisle to Edinburgh ticket which is marked 'Specified TPE trains & connections only'. However the itinerary does not use any TPE services and is as follows:

Carlisle d 0922
Glasgow Central a 1042

Glasgow Queen St d 11:15
Edinburgh a 12:06


The first service is actually an Avanti West Coast service (rather than TPE), and the second is Scotrail (I have no issue with this).

My worry is that something has gone wrong here and that I will have issues using a ticket marked 'Specified TPE trains & connections only' on an Avanti West Coast train (even though I am as per itinerary). (There is an 09:14 TPE service from Carlisle to Glasgow Central also). Has anyone had any experience of this - is this normal?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jawr256

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2017
Messages
168
This seems doubly odd because the itinerary doesn't satisfy the minimum connection time in Glasgow (15mins Central + 5mins walk + 10mins Queen Street = 30mins)
 

SeanG

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2013
Messages
1,378
This seems doubly odd because the itinerary doesn't satisfy the minimum connection time in Glasgow (15mins Central + 5mins walk + 10mins Queen Street = 30mins)
Apologies my typo here - it does satisfy that connection time as there is 33 minutes.
 

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,611
Location
Warks
I see no TOC restrictions on the route code in question:


I would hazard a guess that - ordinarily - some train operators may rely on other-TOC Advances using a different ticket type code, specific to that other TOC which they don't then map to a tariff within S3 Passenger. Obviously for the Rail Sale that's not the case, and the product is the same for everyone.
 
Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,475
Location
London
I see no TOC restrictions on the route code in question:


I would hazard a guess that - ordinarily - some train operators may rely on other-TOC Advances using a different ticket type code, specific to that other TOC which they don't then map to a tariff within S3 Passenger. Obviously for the Rail Sale that's not the case, and the product is the same for everyone.
That explains why most TOCs only do "TOC Only" tickets for the Rail Sale. As it uses the same product regardless of TOC, presumably it would be too difficult to implement TOC restrictions at product level.

A learning point for next time it runs (if it runs again) I suspect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top