• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket gates at Manchester Piccadilly not accepting GM traincard

Status
Not open for further replies.

windswept

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
19
As of last Friday, the ticket gates at Manchester Piccadilly have been rejecting my GM traincard* season ticket (issued from Glossop) with error code 116. I have seen several other people having the same problem.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48909 suggests the error code should be interpreted as "station not listed as allowed for entry and exit with this ticket"

Why might Piccadilly not be a valid station for use with a GM traincard?

*http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Tickets/Pages/tickets_rail.aspx
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TC60054

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2016
Messages
595
Location
Doncaster
The gates at Piccadilly are next to useless in my experience. My usual train from Manchester leaves from a gated platform and it must be at least four months since the barriers last let me through without having to seek assistance.
 

windswept

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
19
The gates at Piccadilly are next to useless in my experience. My usual train from Manchester leaves from a gated platform and it must be at least four months since the barriers last let me through without having to seek assistance.

I'm not that surprised, but I thought I'd got away without having problems as recently as last Thursday! I'm intrigued as to what gate software update would forbid GM traincards, which will be a pretty common ticket type seen at Piccadilly.

I suppose there's no point getting in touch with Virgin/Network Rail...
 

meridian2

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2013
Messages
1,186
I bought a Day Rover ticket a few weeks ago, and none of the gates accepted it. From the resigned look on the security bloke's faces, it was not an uncommon experience.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Bad gate configuration.

Agree. The gates themselves are fine.

The train operator's back office staff are at fault. Happened at Merseyrail with Saveaway tickets for some years initially.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Unless they have the ability to read train+tram tickets issued on Metrolink stock, train+bus tickets issued on buses and by PayPoint machines, paper tickets and print at home tickets the gates are inadequate.

However, not being programmed to accept a commonly used type of ticket printed on NR stock which is valid for journeys to/from Manchester is nothing sort of incompetence by Virgin Trains.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I get the same error message with my season ticket at Welwyn Garden City (as does anyone else with a ticket that does not have WGC as origin or destination) - this has happened since the gates were installed. the ticket works at all other stations on the line. several years of reporting it to FCC and now GTR has not changed anything.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,385
Location
Calder Valley
I have found that some barriers are set up to take any valid ticket.
A recent example is the barriers at Salford Crescent where they accept any ticket in date. Oddly enough the barrier staff use a standard orange printed ticket to open up the gates instead of the usual placing card on the reader approach. I wonder if that is also to do with TOC's not being bothered to set up the barriers properly.

The barriers at Leeds are another excellent example of it. Only a couple of days ago I entered a Leeds-Manchester advance into it only for it to tell me that it was not valid at this location!
It's all well and good northern going about saying that they are installing barriers at different locations, however if they cannot be bothered to set them up properly to accept tickets that are clearly valid at that location it's a bit of a poor show.
Sam
 
Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
I bought a Day Rover ticket a few weeks ago, and none of the gates accepted it. From the resigned look on the security bloke's faces, it was not an uncommon experience.

Few gates anywhere seem to recognise any type of rover or day ranger ticket.
 

terryc

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2013
Messages
95
I was pleasantly surprised when my Wayfarer ticked 'worked' the gates both on leaving and entering Manchester Oxford Road the other week.:D
 

adamello

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2016
Messages
233
However, not being programmed to accept a commonly used type of ticket printed on NR stock which is valid for journeys to/from Manchester is nothing sort of incompetence by Virgin Trains.

How come? it's a NR managed station
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Had an advance from Man Picc to Donny rejected at Piccadilly only last Friday. Eye rolling galore.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
NR are station manager, their responsibility to deal with complaints about station and services even if it is passing it along they can apply pressure to speed up rectification.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
GM Wayfarers do not work in the gates at Piccadilly either.

It's an issue with many rovers, due to how the ticket is encoded. A Northern manager on here explained on here that rovers present unique problems due to how they are encoded.

IIRC it's because they are encoded with the origin and destination as the same. Unless the barriers are encoded to accept any valid ticket, they will be rejected.
 
Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
The barriers at Leeds are another excellent example of it. Only a couple of days ago I entered a Leeds-Manchester advance into it only for it to tell me that it was not valid at this location!

That has been happening ever since the barriers were introduced at Leeds. A poster on here claimed to be involved in the introduction/management of the Leeds barriers and asked for info about issues so that they could be fixed. I reported this problem and nothing changed .... make of that what you will.
 

tom1649

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
990
It's an issue with many rovers, due to how the ticket is encoded. A Northern manager on here explained on here that rovers present unique problems due to how they are encoded.

IIRC it's because they are encoded with the origin and destination as the same. Unless the barriers are encoded to accept any valid ticket, they will be rejected.

I see, thank you. My Wayfarer worked in the barriers at both Manchester Victoria and Bolton.
 
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
359
Virgin installed the barriers and Virgin manage the barriers.

Just the same at Birmingham New Grand Street Central.

It's been about 8 months since I managed to get through the barriers there with a ticket that wasn't rejected (and these are standard normal NR Oranges)
 

windswept

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2014
Messages
19
It worked today, so only a problem for a week - wonder if they've had to set the barriers to accept any ticket?
The traincard is laid out like a standard season, except for having & GM TRAINCARD * in the destination field (with Glossop, where I bought it, as the origin). Don't know how they're encoded though.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
That has been happening ever since the barriers were introduced at Leeds. A poster on here claimed to be involved in the introduction/management of the Leeds barriers and asked for info about issues so that they could be fixed. I reported this problem and nothing changed .... make of that what you will.

Funnily enough Leeds is one of the few places that I've got through a barrier with a rover ticket. It was a NE straight 7 and worked - once. Subsequently it was rejected.
 

iainbhx

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2014
Messages
217
Funnily enough Leeds is one of the few places that I've got through a barrier with a rover ticket. It was a NE straight 7 and worked - once. Subsequently it was rejected.

Last year I bought a Spirit of Scotland ticket, it worked where it was issue - Glasgow Queen Street, but that was about all.

Last week my season wasn't working at Birmingham New Street, this week it has been.
 
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
397
Location
Greater manchester.
That has been happening ever since the barriers were introduced at Leeds. A poster on here claimed to be involved in the introduction/management of the Leeds barriers and asked for info about issues so that they could be fixed. I reported this problem and nothing changed .... make of that what you will.

I have just come back from Leeds city station to Manchester Victoria station today with an advanced ticket. The barrier accepted the ticket at Leeds but rejected it at Manchester.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I find Leeds station barriers never accept tickets with a Two Together discount, giving the message "ticket not valid at this location".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top