• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket eaten by barrier on departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

allotments

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2020
Messages
181
Location
Cambridge
I'm used to barriers retaining tickets on arrival at destination but today's valid Advance for the 13:46 Euston-Crewe was retained by barrier as I attempted to enter platform 11. I had put the ticket in a second time after it failed to open gate first time.

Barrier staff - who were already very busy - had to recover it.

How does that happen?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChewChewTrain

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2019
Messages
355
Never heard of that and it’s obviously concerning. What if it happened to an infrequent traveller who assumed it meant they wouldn’t need it after that point?
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
I'm used to barriers retaining tickets on arrival at destination but today's valid Advance for the 13:46 Euston-Crewe was retained by barrier as I attempted to enter platform 11. I had put the ticket in a second time after it failed to open gate first time.

Barrier staff - who were already very busy - had to recover it.

How does that happen?
I had a similar experience as well. The exit barrier malfunctioned after taken my season ticket (mechanical failure) and the staff had to recover it.
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,362
The ticket must have been jammed or something as entry barriers don't have the ability to retain tickets, they have no ticket bins, whereas the exit ones do.
 

Scott1

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2015
Messages
385
At the end of the day it's a mechanical system, so it's not failure proof. Especially given its dealing with bits of card that get folded, torn, wet etc.

As RPI has stated there is no 'bin' on the entrance side of the gates, so it can't retain tickets even if that was desired, it can only accept or reject and ejected the ticket. The exception, as you've found, being if it gets stuck inside.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top