• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket acceptance with a WMR / LNW -only ticket, due to Northampton problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednick

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2013
Messages
294
Location
Worcester
I've already purchased a Super Off-Peak return ticket from Worcester to London Euston. It's the West Midlands Railway / London Northwestern -only ticket.

I am travelling on Sunday December 1st to London. That evening, I am breaking my return journey at Hemel Hempstead, where I have already booked a hotel for the night. The next day, I shall be returning from Hemel Hempstead, via Milton Keynes and Birmingham, back to Worcester. I am taking my bike with me.

I already had the whole journey planned. But the flooding problem at Northampton may likely not be totally sorted by Sunday, so things will probably alter. I am going along with the assumption things will not be back to normal by Sunday (If they are, I'll travel exactly as originally planned).

Regarding the outward journey Worcester - New Street - Euston: If ticket acceptance on Sunday is the same as it is right now, I have the choice of using either Avanti or Chiltern from Birmingham to London (They'll see my ticket is WMR / LNW only but know it's OK - providing, as I say, that I check on the day itself that ticket acceptance is allowed). If I use Avanti, I'll have to book a bike reservation, so maybe Chiltern would be easier.

I'll get a train Euston - Hemel Hempstead on Sunday evening. On Monday, I'll have to get the London Northwestern service to Milton Keynes Central. Then, I can get the London Northwestern train from Milton Keynes to Birmingham. But, if ticket acceptance is still in operation on Monday with Avanti, I could use their trains from Milton Keynes to Birmingham (with a bike reservation).

Have I got that all correct?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Regarding the outward journey Worcester - New Street - Euston: If ticket acceptance on Sunday is the same as it is right now, I have the choice of using either Avanti or Chiltern from Birmingham to London (They'll see my ticket is WMR / LNW only but know it's OK - providing, as I say, that I check on the day itself that ticket acceptance is allowed). If I use Avanti, I'll have to book a bike reservation, so maybe Chiltern would be easier.

I'll get a train Euston - Hemel Hempstead on Sunday evening. On Monday, I'll have to get the London Northwestern service to Milton Keynes Central. Then, I can get the London Northwestern train from Milton Keynes to Birmingham. But, if ticket acceptance is still in operation on Monday with Avanti, I could use their trains from Milton Keynes to Birmingham (with a bike reservation).

Have I got that all correct?
That looks correct to me, provided you travel via Birmingham as originally planned..
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
I used a Manchester-London TfW/WMT only on an Avanti 807 from Crewe to Euston yesterday no problem. Got written confirmation from Avanti's social media team for the inevitable argument at Euston, but there were no checks on arrival.

I was standing all the way though! The train had seemingly been reserved as if it was a Pendo... and that was even after we evicted a load of Manchester passengers via an additional stop at Stafford. In fairness, we were told at Crewe the following service wouldn't be as busy but I wanted my first 807 so couldn't really complain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top