• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket acceptance between DfT TOCs after missed connections

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,395
I have (separate) advance tickets for the Wigan North Western 18:26 – 19:51 Carlisle Avanti (I know, not renationalised yet) service and for the Carlisle 20:00 – 21:40 Newcastle Northern service. The Avanti service is currently around ten minutes late. Assuming I miss the 20:00 service, could I get the 20:42 – 21:56 LNER service, or would I have to wait for the 21:05 – 22:43 Northern one?

I know that the solution if the answer isn't 'it's automatically allowed' is to look for staff to ask for permission; I'm asking here in case I can't find anybody to ask.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Looks like you wouldn't have made your Carlisle connection. What happened? Sorry nobody replied, I've only just seen your post but would have suggested asking the LNER guard.
 

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,395
I asked at Carlisle, but the LNER was delayed ~25 minutes when I asked so I was told that the next one would be Northern anyway (and Carlisle announcements and boards kept saying 25 minutes even whilst Realtimetrains and Traksy had the delay down to 15). I've got the LNER service, which left around four minutes before the stopper (looking at RTT, that's since been delayed at Wetheral) and haven't yet seen on-board staff.
 

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,395
Thank you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

My ticket wasn't checked on the LNER service. A 36 minute delay against my original plan means half the cost of the advance tickets back, plus (I'm assuming; I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't apply) a small amount for the Manchester Oxford Road to Wigan Wallgate portion of a Bee Network bus, tram and train off-peak day ticket.

The delay coming back aside, more or less everything went well today. Apart from walking from Deansgate to Manchester Victoria due to delays and missing an Ordsall Chord service, everything else was on time. I got a photo of a 333 at Doncaster, leaving me with three gaps for classes in passenger service. I also ticked off Reddish South, Denton and the Eccles branch, leaving me with three tram stops and no stations left in England outside Devon and Cornwall.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Avanti's delay repay portal didn't recognise the Bee Network ticket number. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long to get a reply to the email I sent.
 
Last edited:

Top