• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thoughts/Rules On Signallers Providing Booked Assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
Jesus wept... Its a ramp.
Have you ever carried or lifted the ramps we use in this country? They are pretty heavy, especially at stations with a large height difference (the taller the step the longer the ramp).

I dropped one on my foot once and I could hardly walk for three days.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Facing Back

Member
Joined
21 May 2019
Messages
929
Hardly. No union would ever support a proposal that could lead to destaffing and, in any case, any union response is purely hypothetical as this proposal is utterly impractical for the reasons outlined above, and nobody AFAIK is seriously suggesting it be implemented.
Unions frequently support proposals that lead to a reduction in headcount for a wide variety of reasons. I'm not sure I can recall a situation where ASLEF or the RMT did though. When they do, they fight hard to avoid compulsory redundancies and to protect or improve conditions for remaining employees.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Have you ever carried or lifted the ramps we use in this country? They are pretty heavy, especially at stations with a large height difference (the taller the step the longer the ramp).

I dropped one on my foot once and I could hardly walk for three days.
You clearly were delinquent and not wearing the approved ramp-lifter footwear
 

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
I don't think the railway has to provide a member of staff at the station to escort you about
Yes, "the railway", does and is legally required to do so.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You clearly were delinquent and not wearing the approved ramp-lifter footwear
You may or may not be aware, but steel toe caps, including the work issued ones I was wearing, don't cover the top of your foot. Many railway issued safety shoes don't even protect your ankle anymore, but that's for your unnecessary assumptions and accusations against my professionalism.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Operators are indeed charged by the minute for delays they are attributed to them, but traincrew have wide discretion to act as they need to in the interests of safety, and a visually impaired person whose assistance hasn’t materialised is absolutely an example of where this discretion could and should be used.

In those situations delay costs simply don’t come into it. Similarly, as a driver, I have stopped out of course to allow wheelchair users off who have been overcarried due to a cock up meaning they’ve been left on my train. In these situations it isn’t a case of asking permission, you simply inform the signaller and control what you’re doing and why.
Same as you, I've refused to move my train before until someone with a ramp arrives. They had to send someone from another station in a taxi!

The delays got put down to the station staff who assisted the passenger onto the train for not phoning ahead beforehand, and then going "meh" when nobody answered the phone at the (unstaffed) station.

I always encourage people who need assistance to use the passenger alarm when nobody shows up. Much of the time we don't know you're on the train, especially if you got on at a terminus or there are crew changes en-route. It disappoints me how many people think they will be told off or fined for using the passcom in this situation to speak to the driver.
 
Last edited:

coxxy

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2013
Messages
375
Have you ever carried or lifted the ramps we use in this country? They are pretty heavy, especially at stations with a large height difference (the taller the step the longer the ramp).

I dropped one on my foot once and I could hardly walk for three days.

you clearly missed my next post where i said as an ex guard and a current driver. So yes, ive carried a ramp. Never managed to drop one on my foot though.
 

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
Never managed to drop one on my foot though.
I haven't before or since! I won't go into too much detail publicly but I was exonerated in the subsequent investigation!

you clearly missed my next post where i said as an ex guard and a current driver.
Yes sorry, I just saw the post about ramps in Germany and was thinking abut that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top