Annetts key
Established Member
I'm not surprised that there have been some U.S. casualties. Whatever Trump does turns into a disaster of some sort for the U.S.A. or the world.Three US servicemen have now been killed in the operation so far. Given how war averse US citizens are now, this could get ugly for Trump very quickly.
This amuses me:
It's lay people who take part in elections and many politicians are not always experts, but are lay people. So it's hardly surprising that in democratic systems sometimes a leader comes to power where they are not particularly popular with a significant number of the population.Time and time again we have fallen for the "he is less bad than the predecessor/alternative so must be good" trap. This is what happened with Masoud Pezeshkian, Hassan Rouhani, Hamid Karzai, Naftali Bennett, Joe Biden, Emmanuel Macron and plenty of others. As they were seen as "good" compared to the other alternatives, people didn't question what their political views actually were and in the end got caught out badly.
Certainly, I consider Joe Biden to have done a reasonable job even if I disagreed with some of that administrations decisions. Trump in comparison is total disaster. I don't think there is more than one thing or decision where I agree with him.
Emmanuel Macron, that's more complex due to the way that the French system works. And I don't follow French politics very closely. But Macron is certainly better than Marion Le Pen would ever be.
And mostly, a new leader has to be a compromise. Because people with extreme views normally don't result in a good outcome overall.
.
