• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thoughts on the Trump presidency

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
Listening to Today on Radio 4, there is a lot of hand wringing going on in Westminster. A lot of government is still under the illusion that dealing with Trump is like dealing with any other world leader, friend or foe. They don't seem to accept that all diplomatic norms have been thrown out, and this is uncharted territory.
Well, territory last charted in the late 1930s at any rate.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mr. SW

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
552
Location
Armchair
I was going to make a joke about running out of popcorn but I think events have gone beyond that...
 

sor

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
799
I am shocked that the recipient of the inaugural FIFA Peace Prize would act in this way. Where is the integrity?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I am shocked that the recipient of the inaugural FIFA Peace Prize would act in this way. Where is the integrity?
I know, it really is shocking that a winner of such an august item as the FIFA Peace Prize would behave in this way.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,838
Location
Clydebank
BBC Live News Text Updates, 09:13, linked and quoted below.

The letter to the Norweigan PM saying he doesn't feel obligated to act purely for peace because they didn't give him the noble peace prize. I mean if this wasn't the President of the most powerful country on earth, it would be hilarious. As it stands, it is hilarious with just a tinge of sadness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cx2k7gv0znmt
I do understand where you're coming from, but I lost the ability to laugh at this a long time ago. Far as I'm concerned, it's straight up pathetic - not to mention insanely dangerous and volatile - because he's the President. A demented man-child with a vindictive streak a mile wide throwing the world into chaos over this is, as far as I'm concerned, not in the least bit funny. Or surprising.
 
Last edited:

OhNoAPacer

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2013
Messages
726
Location
Egremont Cumbria / Northampton
I have two medals from being part of a team that won Division 1 of the Postal Chess League a couple of times. If it would help defuse the situation then I am happy to send him one of those.

I know that sounds like a ridiculous suggestion but ...
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,022
Location
Yellabelly Country
Someone sent me this meme earlier.
20260119_163624.jpg
Image: Shows Kim Jong Un, the Supreme Leader of North Korea

The think that gets me about Trump is that he's like a spoilt brat. It's my football and I'm taking it home attitude. Trying to participate on the world stage with that attitude is not going to make many friends. It needs the rest of the world leaders to stick up a collective two fingers to him. However, they're too busy trying to polish his ego for that to happen.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,036
Russia is celebrating Trump's threats to Europe, as reported by the BBC's Steve Rosenberg:
In an astonishing article, the Russian government paper is full of praise for Trump and critical of European leaders who oppose a US annexation of Greenland.

"Standing in the way of the US president's historic breakthrough is the stubbornness of Copenhagen and the mock solidarity of intransigent European countries, including so-called friends of America, Britain and France," writes Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
But why the praise from Moscow? Why the apparent encouragement?
It's because Russia has much to gain from the current situation.
Trump's fixation with Greenland, his determination to take over the island and impose tariffs on European countries that oppose his plan have put a huge strain on the transatlantic alliance: both on America's relations with Europe, and within Nato.
Anything that weakens – or threatens to split – the Western alliance is viewed by Moscow as a huge positive for Russia.
"Europe is at a total loss and, to be honest, it's a pleasure to watch this," gloated the Russian tabloid Moskovsky Komsomolets in one of its articles about Greenland.
What's more, American threats to annex Greenland are being used by pro-Kremlin commentators to try to justify Russia's war on Ukraine.
Victory in Ukraine remains the Kremlin's priority.
Moscow believes that maintaining a positive relationship with the Trump administration will help achieve this.
Hence Russia's criticism of Europe. But not of Donald Trump.
It's getting towards the point that it's harder and harder to resist the allegation that Trump and his cronies are under Putin's control ... o_O
What else could make sense of all this insanity?
 

Annetts key

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2021
Messages
3,831
Location
West is best
Russia is celebrating Trump's threats to Europe, as reported by the BBC's Steve Rosenberg:


It's getting towards the point that it's harder and harder to resist the allegation that Trump and his cronies are under Putin's control ... o_O
What else could make sense of all this insanity?

You could say that if you go.on what the Russian newspapers are saying, that Russia is not interested in Greenland, therefore Trumps stated reason for wanting Greenland (security), falls apart even more...
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,232
Location
Kent
I'm shocked that you didn’t get a four eight year supply of popcorn (for use in your very own nuclear underground bunker)!
Don't need a microwave to pop it, just leave it out if the alarms eventually go! Might have a uranium aftertaste, but that's all just part of the "fun"! :lol:
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,417
To be honest I think Trump is now just randomly ranting. Placing bets on Vance being president by the spring.....
 

kermit

Member
Joined
2 May 2011
Messages
631
Is Trump trying to "achieve" the subjugation of Greenland, and the acquisition of a historic 51st State, in time for the July 4th 250th Anniversary? Whilst conveniently distracting from those troublesome Epstein files?
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,172
Location
Elginshire
To be honest I think Trump is now just randomly ranting. Placing bets on Vance being president by the spring.....
The man is clearly ill and should be in a care home. Because of who he is and what he's done I really don't want to feel sorry for him, but part of me thinks that an old man in such obvious decline should be left to live out his twilight years in a quiet place away from the public gaze.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,732
Location
Scotland
Is Trump trying to "achieve" the subjugation of Greenland, and the acquisition of a historic 51st State, in time for the July 4th 250th Anniversary? Whilst conveniently distracting from those troublesome Epstein files?
Again Puerto Ricans are like "Greenland?!"
 

perstreperous

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2022
Messages
44
Location
South London
He has fallen apart since the turn of the year and the Chagos Islands remarks have put the cap on it all.

(I was amused by the BBC commentary, sent from the flaming keyboard, "special relationship in ruins Prime Minister humiliated blah blah blah". No - we are dealing with someone who is ill. That the sick person is the President of the United States, and cannot be removed from his post except by death, resignation or an untried constitutional amendment is a disaster for the world).

I was thinking yesterday that the "conversation" (over social media I believe) with the Norwegian Prime Minister, to summarise:

USP: I should have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize by your government.
NPM: It is awarded by an independent committee.
USP: You say that, but I know you are pulling the wires behind the scenes.

was exactly, almost to the word, what I had to deal with when a colleague became ill and, in the end, was paid off because of a diagnosis of PPD (Paranoid Personality Disorder).

Edit: I put my wallet where my mouth is and bet on JD Vance assuming the Presidency within six months.
 
Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Even if what little remaining common sense completely falls of a cliff and Greenland becomes a US territory it won't stay that way beyond January 20th 2029. Assuming* of course the Dems take the House in November and everything else in 2028. How quickly do we expect absolutely every other dire decision of the Trump WH to be rolled back or nixed?


*I know, assuming the US democratic process will remain unaltered is pretty wild
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,763
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
He has fallen apart since the turn of the year and the Chagos Islands remarks have put the cap on it all.

Have they? To be fair I think arguing against us ceding Chagos to Mauritius is about the most sensible thing he's ever said! I have no particular issue with the idea of backing out of former empire countries if that's what their inhabitants want, but it should be ceded to them (the Chagossians) from whom we stole it, not some random third country (one aligned with our enemies, indeed) with an alleged claim over it that has no more value than our own.

I'd agree with the principal that he's not mentally competent and needs removing, though. 25th Amendment should do - has Vance got the guts? I have little time for him to be fair but he's at least mentally sane even if I might strongly disagree with most of his policies.
 

BAFRA77

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2023
Messages
276
Location
Worcester
Even if what little remaining common sense completely falls of a cliff and Greenland becomes a US territory it won't stay that way beyond January 20th 2029. Assuming* of course the Dems take the House in November and everything else in 2028. How quickly do we expect absolutely every other dire decision of the Trump WH to be rolled back or nixed?


*I know, assuming the US democratic process will remain unaltered is pretty wild
Judging by their previous track record - never
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Edit: I put my wallet where my mouth is and bet on JD Vance assuming the Presidency within six months.

Not convinced Trump is going anywhere until his physical condition starts to become really obvious to even his most die-hard cult memberssupporters. We're not there yet though I'm still in no doubt he won't be making it to the end of his term.
 

BAFRA77

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2023
Messages
276
Location
Worcester
Have they? To be fair I think arguing against us ceding Chagos to Mauritius is about the most sensible thing he's ever said! I have no particular issue with the idea of backing out of former empire countries if that's what their inhabitants want, but it should be ceded to them (the Chagossians) from whom we stole it, not some random third country (one aligned with our enemies, indeed) with an alleged claim over it that has no more value than our own.

I'd agree with the principal that he's not mentally competent and needs removing, though. 25th Amendment should do - has Vance got the guts? I have little time for him to be fair but he's at least mentally sane even if I might strongly disagree with most of his policies.
The Trump administration approved the deal when it was negotiated, accepting the Downing Street argument that this would remove the risk of the UK and the US losing access to Diego Garcia under interntational law.

He's just straw clutching now to find ANYTHING he can twist to rant about having his new Greenlandic plaything - he's like a toddler rolling around on the floor in a supermarket having a tantrum because mommy won't buy him a Mini-Milk
 

perstreperous

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2022
Messages
44
Location
South London
Have they? To be fair I think arguing against us ceding Chagos to Mauritius is about the most sensible thing he's ever said! I have no particular issue with the idea of backing out of former empire countries if that's what their inhabitants want, but it should be ceded to them (the Chagossians) from whom we stole it, not some random third country with an alleged claim over it.
It was the instant reverse, it appears written about 0100 or 0200 in the morning (not the best time for rational thought). I see that all the quotes made at the time from everyone else, starting with Marco Rubio, are now being dredged up on what a great deal it was.

In a rational situation that behaviour would lead to the knives coming out for insertion in the front or back, as appropriate.

(For the record, I don't know enough about the Chagos Islands issue to have any particular opinion).
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,763
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Not convinced Trump is going anywhere until his physical condition starts to become really obvious to even his most die-hard cult memberssupporters. We're not there yet though I'm still in no doubt he won't be making it to the end of his term.

I think there's a reasonable chance he won't live to the end of his term. He is obviously in extremely poor physical and mental health. I'd give him months - the question is how much damage he can do in months if nobody is willing to accept he's senile, Vance in particular as he could activate the 25th Amendment. Does he himself not want power, perhaps, as Trump has made such a mess it'll certainly reflect on him when he can't fix it all quickly?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

He's just straw clutching now to find ANYTHING he can twist to rant about having his new Greenlandic plaything - he's like a toddler rolling around on the floor in a supermarket having a tantrum because mommy won't buy him a Mini-Milk

I don't disagree with that. As I said I think he's severely mentally ill (e.g. dementia) - he probably actually has the mental capacity of the toddler now. He was never a nice person (watch that film about him to get an idea) but he's now not just that but also not mentally competent or rational.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
I think there's a reasonable chance he won't live to the end of his term. He is obviously in extremely poor physical and mental health. I'd give him months - the question is how much damage he can do in months if nobody is willing to accept he's senile, Vance in particular as he could activate the 25th Amendment. Does he himself not want power, perhaps, as Trump has made such a mess it'll certainly reflect on him when he can't fix it all quickly?
Weird possibility, but perhaps Vance is letting Trump get deeper into this kind of weird & wacky territory before he takes over? That way when he does take the helm, anything he does will seem sane in comparison?
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,042
Location
Up the creek
Well, how have things gone in the year since I started this thread. I expected Trump to be even more greedy than than in his first term and grift at every opportunity, to vindictively attack all those that he felt had slighted him, and to display even more egotism than normal. There would be a number of questionable actions and some tantrums from Trump himself which would lead to some instability, and there would undoubtedly be changes to the balance of society, but the basic government functions would continue as before and there would be a chance of recovery. Changes there would be, and not to the general good, but we would get through.

I referred to it in satirical vein as ‘insanity’, but this is what it has turned out to be. Who, even in their worst cheese-induced nightmare, would have thought that Trump would be threatening to invade a part of NATO? The changes that I expected to take place behind the scenes have barely been hidden: the only reason that they aren’t so obvious is that there are so many things happening that no one can keep up with them.

My feeling is that what has changed everything is the decline in Trump’s health, particularly in the last few months. On top of all his other idiosyncrasies, he appears to be losing track of reality. As he is ruled by his ego he now does things that previously his cunning would have held him back from. His advisors seem to be an even more unscrupulous bunch than usual and I do wonder exactly who some of them are working for.

As far as this country is concerned, we are probably close to the point where we must make a decisive stand against Trump. It will cause massive problems, but we cannot go on appeasing someone who has, in effect, become a dictator. If we did, we would just find ourself in an even worse state when we finally had to make that stand.

And what now? We can expect that Trump will finally tip over the edge soon, probably in months. Hopefully he will either quietly die or be removed screaming, rather than doing something utterly catastrophic. So we get Vance, who I think is an even nastier character. For a while it may seem a relief to have someone in the Whitehouse who will think rationally, but I suspect that the changes that have happened under Trump will allow Vance to do some extremely unpleasant things and normality will not return.
 

Top