Western 52
Established Member
Frost on the inside of carriage windows caused by freezing weather and condensation from the steam heating. No double glazing of course.
Ahem....you would have needed a carriage key to have opened or closed them (not that we had them before joining the railway, did we?)Handy for bellowing out of (not that I did)
I was trying to remember exactly, but my brain was saying:I know some GW HSTs also had them at the 'standard' end of the buffet counter
On the GW HSTs it was FO and buffet car, but I can't remember if it was specific types of vehicle. I do remember the 'phonecards' were £4 each which got you next to no time - in the early 90s that was a lot of money!I was trying to remember exactly, but my brain was saying:
HSTs, 225s, Mk3s, Mk4s in a TF/FO/PO vehicle
158s in the DMSL
159s in the DMCL(W)
442s in the DMFsoL
XC Mk2 sets in the RFB
But now I seem to remember HSTs also had them in the buffets.
Either that differed by area, so some sets had it in a TF, others the buffer it was both. Possibly to offer the facility to customers in Std as well later on?
I believe the first phones installed were in the WCML Mk3B 'Pullman' Open Firsts.
Lyons individual Fruit Pie. Yum!Individual apple pies in boxes from the buffet
And I actually saw one in use!Fully-openable windows in the middle one of the three second class compartments in Mark 1 CK (corridor composite) carriages....to allow sick or injured people on stretchers to be embarked/disembarked.
MaxPax still exists and I believe they still supply drinks to certain train catering companies.MaxPax tea and coffee from the buffet car. Does that still exist anywhere?
I last remember seeing those in Mk3 sleepers.Buttons on the toilet floor for flushing the toilet and working the tap in the sink, along with a big knob to twist to allegedly adjust the temperature of the tap water.
I recall a green version - maybe regional differences.On the subject of window labels, Ladies Only labels (which I believe were orange on white?).
And not just Red Star, ordinary parcels too (not premium rate).Remember Red Star parcels in the brake van?
Didn’t the 158’s wipe all the data on the magnetic strip?Beckett,Laycock and Watkins IIRC.
I remember both HSTs and 158s having them. They were expensive to use.
Here you go! https://www.helstonrailway.co.uk/news/2018/a-br-mark-1-suburban-has-arrived/It was a big clunky metal handle that was turned by hand like a doorknob.
Yes - even suburban units had them - this was 4SUB 4732 which was returned to faux-original condition for service in its last couple of years until 1982. I took the photo after boarding it one morning in 1981 at Ashtead on my way to Victoria.Framed pictures on compartment walls. And weren't there also mirrors in compartments sometimes?

Originally they were in 1st class but latterly they were usually in the buffet car.Oh yes I remember them. Only in first class though?
LNER Mark 4s and the soon to be withdrawn CrossCountry HSTs still have curtains in 1st class.Also, curtains (particularly orange ones)
Yes, and manually operated slam doors. The Great Western Sleeper still has them.Dropping the window to open the door.
And the adjustable air vent above the bed (or above the compartment door), and the trinket tray above the bed in 1st class Sleepers, and the pad to put your watch on.The chamber pot in a sleeping car compartment.