• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things to do in Cleethorpes in late October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I will most probably be making a Saturday visit before the end of the month by First TPE from Manchester Airport using a combination of the Club 55 offer and the discount for having a Senior Citizens railcard.

My itinerary looks to be:-
Manchester Airport dep 0753
Cleethorpes arr 1051

Cleethorpes dep 1626
Manchester Airport arr 1825

So, about five and a half hours to pass. Any interesting places that will be open at this time of the year worth visiting ? I can use my ENCTS pass to make bus journeys free of charge.

I was going to go last Saturday, but the weather forecast for Cleethorpes was for heavy rainfall for much of the day.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
There isn't much to do by October.
There is Waltham Windmill, I haven't been in years, which is an ok place to go to, with a museum, lots of small shops and miniature railway. As you said you have free bus travel (route number 9/9A every 15 minutes from the High Street takes you to Waltham). Although I can't find anything about opening times.
The Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway normally runs until the end if October (with I believe a break in November). You can either walk (or catch bus route 9/9A, the other way out of Cleethorpes).
Further out of town (in Immingham) is the Immingham Museum, which details the story of Immingham Docks and involvement of the Great Central Railway. Can't find opening times, but there is http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/VenueDetails.aspx?venuecode=1869 which gives an email address and phone number for more information. For your information, Paul, you'd have to catch a bus to Grimsby (there are many routes), and change there (for route 45/45M) to Immingham.
All the regular restaurants/fish & chip places/pubs should be open, along with the arcades and some of the amusements.

Any more help needed, just ask :)
Thanks, Sam
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
You can walk down the coast to stand on the meridin line. I can personally attest that this picture does not do justice as to how exciting an experience that is. [1]

Meridian+line+at+Cleethorpes.JPG


[1] for the absence of doubt, it is even less exciting than the picture implies :)
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
You should have fish and chips at Steels. Some of the best I have had. Worth looking out.

And play the slots of course :)
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Thanks for all the replies. I see that next Saturday is the final Saturday running date for the Cleethorpes Light Railway, so I am hoping that the weather foreast for that day will be better than the last couple of Saturdays.

Having the ENCTS pass is a blessing when using local buses in areas of England.
 

boing_uk

Member
Joined
18 May 2009
Messages
619
Location
Blackburn
I can quite honestly recommend NOT going to Steels. On the quality of the fish and chips it is actually quite mundane for the price compared to other chippies in the area; Seaway round the corner are just as good and cheaper.

Best F&C is Wybers chippy.... but you'd have to go to my mums round the corner to sit down and eat them :D

Sam has covered most of the basics though. If the weather is good, the boating lake is quite nice to walk round too and the Wellow across the road, although it looks a bit dingy on the outside and generic pubco fayre is not that bad either.

It all depends on your particular interests really. Pop in to Cleethorpes Library on Alexandra Road (the main road just up from the prom) where the tourist information centre is.
 

Harlesden

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
968
Location
LONDON NW10
I was there 2nd October. Used the Suggitts Lane foot crossing (wow how that has changed) and walked down to the Pier. There was literally nothing open at 2PM in the afternoon. My next Grimsby/Cleethorpes day trip won't be until April/May. Just nothing there out of season
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Thanks for both these last two postings. I would have travelled much earlier in the year than this but the Club 55 offer is only of recent vintage, but the return cost from Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes next Saturday (earllier start than the 0930 embargo Monday to Friday) using the Club 55 offer and my extra discount for holding the Senior Citizen Railcard makes the cost far less than a normal priced ticket purchased with my railcard.

My luck (or lack of it) will see heavy rain forecast for the day in the Cleethorpes area, which is not the best weather to walk around in for five and a half hours..<(
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
boing_uk:1597192 said:
I can quite honestly recommend NOT going to Steels. On the quality of the fish and chips it is actually quite mundane for the price compared to other chippies in the area; Seaway round the corner are just as good and cheaper.

Best F&C is Wybers chippy.... but you'd have to go to my mums round the corner to sit down and eat them :D

Sam has covered most of the basics though. If the weather is good, the boating lake is quite nice to walk round too and the Wellow across the road, although it looks a bit dingy on the outside and generic pubco fayre is not that bad either.

It all depends on your particular interests really. Pop in to Cleethorpes Library on Alexandra Road (the main road just up from the prom) where the tourist information centre is.

All down to taste re STEELS. We always go back there which to me is the best recommendation! Enjoy yourself whatever you do. And let us know where you get your fish and chips!
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
All down to taste re STEELS. We always go back there which to me is the best recommendation! Enjoy yourself whatever you do. And let us know where you get your fish and chips!

As for my favourite, it's Ocean Fish Bar on St Peters Avenue. Not a big fan of the Steels fish, although the food in general is nice, and service is excellent. As you say, it's down to choice.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,417
Location
S Yorks, usually
Don't know if the buses will work out (or even if the buses go anywhere near), but the seals and their pups down the coast at Donna Nook are well worth a visit this time of year.
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
Don't know if the buses will work out (or even if the buses go anywhere near), but the seals and their pups down the coast at Donna Nook are well worth a visit this time of year.

Buses don't go anywhere near from Grimsby/Cleethorpes. Best bet is buses from North Somercoates (which does receive buses in the week from Grimsby) area.
 
Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
Thanks for all the replies. I see that next Saturday is the final Saturday running date for the Cleethorpes Light Railway, so I am hoping that the weather foreast for that day will be better than the last couple of Saturdays.

Having the ENCTS pass is a blessing when using local buses in areas of England.

If the weather is good, it is a pleasant 10 to 15 minute walk along the coast from Cleethorpes town centre to the Light Railway. I went there myself a couple of weeks ago.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Well, I thought I would update the thread. Last Saturday saw good weather and it was windy, but warm. I used the "Lollipop" road train (£1.00) from the pier up to the leisure centre and had a cooked breakfast at the small establishment near to it.

Last Saturday was the last Saturday of the current season on the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway so for the £4.00 return fare, that allows breaks of journey, I was able to refresh my memories of this iconic narrow-gauge railway. The museum was small but interesting and a tea room served scones, tea, etc. I did not avail myself of the "Signal Box" tiny pub as I am still on certain medication.

I found the High Street in Cleethorpes to have somewhat been diminished in its attractiveness from my memories of many years ago with certain increases in a lower-quality shop. Rather than use my ENCTS pass and to help to walk off the cooked breakfast, I walked around the full length street area of Cleethorpes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top