• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Ken X

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2021
Messages
350
Location
Horsham
We recently received a three figure payment from NatWest complaints dept following an upheld dispute. It came in the form of a hand written cheque. Quite surprised us that did. The teller at Barclays was amused as well. We would have processed it ourselves but the writer must have been an ex-doctor and I wasn't sure if the automated system was up to the task. :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,750
Sprinkling talcum powder in your hair when it was too greasy.
Talcum Powder itself now seems to have disappeared from sale, presumably because of the realisation that a lot of it is contaminated by asbestos.

If you can find any body powder on sale in major stores these days it is invariably made from vegetable starch.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,504
Location
Sheffield
We recently received a three figure payment from NatWest complaints dept following an upheld dispute. It came in the form of a hand written cheque. Quite surprised us that did. The teller at Barclays was amused as well. We would have processed it ourselves but the writer must have been an ex-doctor and I wasn't sure if the automated system was up to the task. :D
You know you're getting older when you realise the last time you went into a bank was to close an account a week before the branch itself closed.

However I must be really old because when I used a bank regularly I went to a cashier. Tellers were in American banks. The early cash machines tended to get called Cashpoints, a Lloyds brand, before the ATM took over (automated teller machine)
 
Last edited:

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,726
When Liz Truss became the PM of shortest tenure, her surname reminded me of a former shop I occasionally walked past in Glasgow which specialised in "Surgical Appliances for Gentlemen". I don't think many such establishments continue to trade but I could be mistaken.
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,200
Talcum Powder itself now seems to have disappeared from sale, presumably because of the realisation that a lot of it is contaminated by asbestos.

If you can find any body powder on sale in major stores these days it is invariably made from vegetable starch.
It is available on Amazon, I buy it for my mother, as she is 93 and has used it all her life I won't worry too much about what is in the tin
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,143
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Talcum Powder itself now seems to have disappeared from sale, presumably because of the realisation that a lot of it is contaminated by asbestos.

If you can find any body powder on sale in major stores these days it is invariably made from vegetable starch.
I use talcum powder after showering due to a skin complaint. When in Italy, I buy bottles of Neutro-Roberts Borotalco, which is manufactured from Borax which occurs naturally in high-pressure hot springs in the South-Western part of Tuscany and is a by-product of the geothermal power generation industry. I usually bring back a few plastic bottles of it to the UK with me.
It can be found in most Italian supermarkets....at prices considerably cheaper than farmacies.
 

Top