• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,171
On that theme, companies with old/unusual legal names.
I believe the legal name for Red Funnel ferries is still "Southampton Isle Of Wight and South Of England Royal Mail Steam Packet Company Limited"

"The Liverpool and Glasgow Association for the Protection of Commercial Interests as Respects Wrecked and Damaged Property Limited"

More usually known as "LGSA Marine" these days.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,711
The relative ease of parking on many residential streets in the days before every man, woman and their blooming dog had their own car.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,175
Location
Reading
The relative ease of parking on many residential streets in the days before every man, woman and their blooming dog had their own car.

Good one aye. Also on that topic -- the relative ease of being able to drive down the road or walk along the pavement without having to squeeze by shed loads of SUVs, vans etc. Without giving away our address on t'internet :lol: If you look on Google Streetview at some of the side streets off Erleigh Road and Addington Road in Reading, you can see the walls of parked cars on both sides of the streets, and how narrow the remaining gaps are on the road. Most taxi drivers refuse to drive up them!
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
The relative ease of parking on many residential streets in the days before every man, woman and their blooming dog had their own car.
And before that man, woman and dog’s house had been turned into an HMO for six car owners!
 

Brightonboy

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
145
Location
Suffolk
What about the days when large business and government establishments had their own internal and inter-building messenger services delivering internal mail etc between departments?
 

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,903
What about the days when large business and government establishments had their own internal and inter-building messenger services delivering internal mail etc between departments?
Still exists at Oxford University at least.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Good one aye. Also on that topic -- the relative ease of being able to drive down the road or walk along the pavement without having to squeeze by shed loads of SUVs, vans etc. Without giving away our address on t'internet :lol: If you look on Google Streetview at some of the side streets off Erleigh Road and Addington Road in Reading, you can see the walls of parked cars on both sides of the streets, and how narrow the remaining gaps are on the road. Most taxi drivers refuse to drive up them!
Had a look at both of those, - at least all the cars that I could see were parked on the road and not over the pedestrian walkway. Round here, St Albans, pavement parking is rife, even on roads where every house has an off-road parking space. How many drivers think that it's OK to force pedestrians to walk in the road to get along the road. The law is about to change allowing local authorities to completely ban parking on pavements, - like in London boroughs since the '70s. Can't come too soon.
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
Does anyone remember those boil in the bag Curries, they used to be 3 varieties, Chicken, Beef, & Prawn Curry with Rice, i always used make extra Chips with it.

The boil in the bag Curry, (total cooking time was 20 minutes) you used to put the Curry in boiling water for 15 minutes, add the Rice with the Curry for the last 5 minutes of cooking time, drain & serve, they've been replaced by Microwave Curries.
 

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
Does anyone remember those boil in the bag Curries, they used to be 3 varieties, Chicken, Beef, & Prawn Curry with Rice, i always used make extra Chips with it.

The boil in the bag Curry, (total cooking time was 20 minutes) you used to put the Curry in boiling water for 15 minutes, add the Rice with the Curry for the last 5 minutes of cooking time, drain & serve, they've been replaced by Microwave Curries.
You can still buy them: https://fabfinds.co.uk/products/ves...zBAIj9AVlC4K5LVXl9TSf62XtVj2ScFZ1qQSz9b8SzsfF
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,454
Location
Stevenage
Does anyone remember those boil in the bag Curries, they used to be 3 varieties, Chicken, Beef, & Prawn Curry with Rice, i always used make extra Chips with it.

The boil in the bag Curry, (total cooking time was 20 minutes) you used to put the Curry in boiling water for 15 minutes, add the Rice with the Curry for the last 5 minutes of cooking time, drain & serve, they've been replaced by Microwave Curries.
I recall it the other way round, rice first. The rice is in a porous bag and needs to be cooked, the curry only needs to be heated up.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,711
IIRC, they also did various flavours of Chow Mein and Chop Suey. One came with crispy noodles and the other with soft noodles - but I can't remember which was which.
Chicken Supreme was another option.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
IIRC, they also did various flavours of Chow Mein and Chop Suey. One came with crispy noodles and the other with soft noodles - but I can't remember which was which.
The chow mein definitely had crispy and soft noodles. I don't think I've ever tried the chop suey.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,033
Findus was the boil in the bag Curry.
Vesta was a do in the saucepan job.
That's my recollection too, Vesta came with a paper bag of dried 'stuff' which had to be rehydrated and heated. I came across some packets in a pound-shop or similar a few years ago, and tried one, just out of nostalgia. Let's say my culinary taste must have evolved since my student days!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
The chow mein definitely had crispy and soft noodles. I don't think I've ever tried the chop suey.
The crispy noodles were to go in your deep frying pan, I think? We skipped that part of the instructions; it was over 50 years ago now… :lol:
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Dedicated 'chip pans', with a basket, kept full of oil, were common. So were kitchen fires.
I put out a chip pan fire when I was about 15. My grandmother had left it far too hot. I remember having to stop her trying to carry it to the garden, fortunately for some reason I already knew the wet tea towel procedure. o_O Had there maybe been one of those TV information films?
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,305
Location
Lewisham
I put out a chip pan fire when I was about 15. My grandmother had left it far too hot. I remember having to stop her trying to carry it to the garden, fortunately for some reason I already knew the wet tea towel procedure. o_O Had there maybe been one of those TV information films?
We learned in school when the fire brigade came with a demonstration.
The crispy noodles were to go in your deep frying pan, I think? We skipped that part of the instructions; it was over 50 years ago now… :lol:
Correct. I think a lot of people skipped that instruction including myself.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,711
Large, sometimes humungous bound book-style rail or bus public timetables often including a fold-out route map. Sold at a cover price which was a fraction of their production costs and often including copious further operations and commercial information often including local company contacts and their contact details.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
Large, sometimes humungous bound book-style rail or bus public timetables often including a fold-out route map. Sold at a cover price which was a fraction of their production costs and often including copious further operations and commercial information often including local company contacts and their contact details.
That is off topic! These are not anachronistic by any means :) :)

They are the best travel books you could buy - opens you up to a world of possible destinations and your imagination can do the rest!
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,672
Location
The West Country
I put out a chip pan fire when I was about 15. My grandmother had left it far too hot. I remember having to stop her trying to carry it to the garden, fortunately for some reason I already knew the wet tea towel procedure. o_O Had there maybe have been one of those public information films?
Yes there was, here it is.
 

Top