• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,712
Shippam's meat paste, once widely used as a sandwich filler but now largely confined to the granny shelves in supermarkets and no longer a multigenerational staple?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
Shippam's meat paste, once widely used as a sandwich filler but now largely confined to the granny shelves in supermarkets and no longer a multigenerational staple?
I'm in my early 30s and we never had this growing up. My mother in law absolutely loves it, but then it has no texture so it's right up her street! :D

The ingredients of say Asda's beef paste don't look too bad, maybe I'll try it one day.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,122
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I'm in my early 30s and we never had this growing up. My mother in law absolutely loves it, but then it has no texture so it's right up her street! :D

The ingredients of say Asda's beef paste don't look too bad, maybe I'll try it one day.
My recollection was that Shippams were more famous for a large variety of fish - and seafood - paste. They were quite a big employer in Chichester at one time.
 

75A

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2021
Messages
2,047
Location
Ireland (ex Brighton 75A)
My recollection was that Shippams were more famous for a large variety of fish - and seafood - paste. They were quite a big employer in Chichester at one time.
They certainly were, I lived in Bognor in the 60's and sometimes when we visited Chi, there was a certain smell!
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
Shippam's meat paste, once widely used as a sandwich filler but now largely confined to the granny shelves in supermarkets and no longer a multigenerational staple?
It was the sort of thing my dad had for his sandwiches, but I don't think I've had any since I was a kid. Sainsbury's carry a couple of own-brand varieties as well as Princes', which i believe now owns the Shippam's brand. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all made in the same place.
 

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
What about the Invacar?

1920px-Invacar_1973_%283%29.JPG

Image shows a baby blue coloured 1980s car with a ramp as a door which were provided by the disability benefits agency for those with a disability pre-Motability. Image taken from Wikipedia and linked to same image.

Nowadays with Motability you get to choose a car, even though recently, more high-end cars have been removed from their lists.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
What about the Invacar?

1920px-Invacar_1973_%283%29.JPG

Image shows a baby blue coloured 1980s car with a ramp as a door which were provided by the disability benefits agency for those with a disability pre-Motability. Image taken from Wikipedia and linked to same image.

Nowadays with Motability you get to choose a car, even though recently, more high-end cars have been removed from their lists.
Already covered in the thread, along with an image, albeit from a different angle, of the same vehicle (post #1944).
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,712
What are the granny shelves and what else is on them!?
Low down in the shelving hierarchy near the tinned mince, the Camp coffee and the last bottle of gravy browning. As distinct from eyeline shelves for more youthful straight-backed average height customers wherein dwells overpackaged premium muesli products.
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
754
Location
London
Magazines, I think it depends how you consume entertainment and news but I'm thinking the weather forecast being presented by a human.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,712
Privately owned stuffed creature or creatures on display within someone's (admittedly normally very posh) home aka taxidermy.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,167
Location
Elginshire
Magazines, I think it depends how you consume entertainment and news but I'm thinking the weather forecast being presented by a human.
The last time I checked the weather forecast (Met Office YouTube channel) it was certainly presented by a human, so I'm not sure why think that they're anachronistic. "Weather" or not that will change in the future remains to be seen, of course.
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
754
Location
London
The last time I checked the weather forecast (Met Office YouTube channel) it was certainly presented by a human, so I'm not sure why think that they're anachronistic. "Weather" or not that will change in the future remains to be seen, of course.
Yeah I just usually search the weather.
 

THC

Member
Joined
21 Sep 2009
Messages
725
Location
Stuck on the GEML
When it was just one day?

This year with the actual day falling on a Tuesday, I’ve seen posters for ‘St Patrick’s Weekend’ and even ‘St Patrick’s Season’.
You can blame the Americans for that. In Ireland the celebrations were up until very recently generally low-key and kept to one day, not least as St Patrick's Day falls squarely in the middle of Lent. In the best pragmatic tradition of Catholics everywhere (if not Catholicism itself), we had/took the day off Lenten observance before returning to fast/deny ourselves on 18 March and thereafter.

THC
 
Last edited:

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,712
A whole tranche of indoor board games have at least waned in multigenerational popularity if not already qualified as being anachronistic. Some have already featured but a couple which a friend happened to mention in conversation - Trivial Pursuits and Mastermind (a game involving pegs of different colours and nothing to do with the TV quiz programme).
 

Benters

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2022
Messages
146
Location
Stafford
Physically buying concert tickets (usually for the big names of the day) from your local record shop (remember them?).
These days if you want to see a 'big name' in concert you have to book online and the ticket price usually includes a hefty booking fee for the agency selling them.
You then have to wait for said tickets to arrive via the post.
 

simonw

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
1,410
Physically buying concert tickets (usually for the big names of the day) from your local record shop (remember them?).
These days if you want to see a 'big name' in concert you have to book online and the ticket price usually includes a hefty booking fee for the agency selling them.
You then have to wait for said tickets to arrive via the post.
Most ticket agencies email the tickets these days.
 

bleeder4

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2019
Messages
792
Location
Worcester
You word this as if we're not at a time when records are by far the most popular way to consume physical media.

Even small towns have record shops, and they've been booming for the past decade.
I must admit, the resurgence in vinyl took me by surprise. A few years ago I inherited my Dad's collection of vinyl records from the 60s. It continually amazes me that 60 years later people are still going to their local record shop and buying a vinyl LP, exactly as my Dad did all those decades ago. I ought to get them valued at some point to be honest, there are some Beatles one in their original sleeves which may be worth a bit to collectors.
 

Top