swt_passenger
Veteran Member
- Joined
- 7 Apr 2010
- Messages
- 34,308
Typing pools probably replaced in modern culture by ‘Olympic sized swimming pools’…A worthy inclusion within the thread in its own right!
Typing pools probably replaced in modern culture by ‘Olympic sized swimming pools’…A worthy inclusion within the thread in its own right!
Working in Euston House in the early 1980s there were some strange mini telephones that were dictating machines for when you wanted a letter doing in the typing pool. Only a couple of people used them though, with most sending a hand-written draft. When a lot of letters used technical language, or required columns of figures, dictated letters tending to come back with lots of errors that had to be annotated and sent back - leading to delays in posting them.I’m currently using a 3 part set of biro, propelling pencil and cartridge pen that I bought about 1982, when for a few years my then job included a lot of draft letter writing, for the typists!
Don't think so, although think it possibly was once contemplated, before becoming re-scoped as the M1. The A50 road that actually got built is Leicester to Warrington (via Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire). Possibly the list would once have included Lancashire also prior to 1974 County boundary changes.
It was a reference to the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch in which the participants competitively out-did each other in recounting how hard their upbringing was, and I was worried I might give the same impression. After one of the Yorkshiremen had outlined how tough his childhood was the next would counter 'Luxury!' and recount even worse times.Did the A50 ever go through Yorkshire?
Working in Euston House in the early 1980s there were some strange mini telephones that were dictating machines for when you wanted a letter doing in the typing pool. Only a couple of people used them though, with most sending a hand-written draft. When a lot of letters used technical language, or required columns of figures, dictated letters tending to come back with lots of errors that had to be annotated and sent back - leading to delays in posting them.
Me reading this in bed dressed in pyjamas: Am I an anachronism now?Grown men sleeping in pajamas?
Nothing wrong in that, just thought they were now not En-vogue.Me reading this in bed dressed in pyjamas: Am I an anachronism now?
Being quite complex, traincrew diagrams went to typing pools until the mid 1980s when DIADS (Direct input and distribution system, I think?) appeared, putting the first piece of electrical IT other than a phone on many desks.Later, of course, typing pools were closed and we were expected to type our own letters, using a word processor- initially one called 'Wang'.
I have three.Ticking clocks with pendulum. I remember seeing this as a kid but haven’t seen it recently.
So it's probably more a personal/social view on my side, but maybe not a widely cultural view currently?I have three.
OC Domestic wishes we only had three.Ticking clocks with pendulum. I remember seeing this as a kid but haven’t seen it recently.
I don't think Sky even offer a service with a satellite dish anymore do they? It's all streamed over the Internet now. So new Sky users won't be getting satellite dishes installed. I think it's only Freesat now that new users will need a satellite dish for. It will be a shame to see less of them. I always like to point out to people that you can always work out which direction you're facing just by looking at position of nearby satellite dishes. Every one is oriented in a south-southeast direction, as it's just the one satellite that provides Sky and Freesat services for the whole country.Television aerials orientated to different transmitters on houses in the same road in places where coverage overlaps.
Here in Sheffield we may be able to get signals bringing us news aimed either at West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire and Humberside well down into Lincolnshire.
In Richmond (Yorks) some would get a Tyne Tees signal and others Yorkshire TV. A few houses might have 2 aerials to get both.
We noticed when out walking yesterday how few houses now have aerials and that satellite dishes are becoming less common. We suspected from the condition of them that quite a few aerials and dishes were no longer in use.
I don't think Sky even offer a service with a satellite dish anymore do they? It's all streamed over the Internet now. So new Sky users won't be getting satellite dishes installed. I think it's only Freesat now that new users will need a satellite dish for. It will be a shame to see less of them. I always like to point out to people that you can always work out which direction you're facing just by looking at position of nearby satellite dishes. Every one is oriented in a south-southeast direction, as it's just the one satellite that provides Sky and Freesat services for the whole country.
I think we're unusual, but (see also my comments on fountain pens) it's very easy to see something "old" as "unusual" if you personally don't have contact with it.So it's probably more a personal/social view on my side, but maybe not a widely cultural view currently?
John Lewis sell a 'radio controlled pendulum clock'. How does that work ?
OC Domestic wishes we only had three..
Currently it's seven round the house, two on the bench being renovated and six in the queue.
Fortunately, for me, only one is chiming and four striking. I find it strangely restful. Others disagree.
Perhaps you can wind it up remotely from anywhere in the World....a bit like our central heating!John Lewis sell a 'radio controlled pendulum clock'. How does that work ?
https://www.johnlewis.com/acctim-we...-numeral-pendulum-wall-clock-brown/p112232451
In theory my Gran could get at least three regions, West (primary region) from Mendip, South West (secondary region) from Stockland Hill and Wales from Wenvoe.Television aerials orientated to different transmitters on houses in the same road in places where coverage overlaps.
Here in Sheffield we may be able to get signals bringing us news aimed either at West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire and Humberside well down into Lincolnshire.
In Richmond (Yorks) some would get a Tyne Tees signal and others Yorkshire TV. A few houses might have 2 aerials to get both.
We noticed when out walking yesterday how few houses now have aerials and that satellite dishes are becoming less common. We suspected from the condition of them that quite a few aerials and dishes were no longer in use.
Virgin Media won't even sell you a recordable box either these days, just streaming boxes.I don't think Sky even offer a service with a satellite dish anymore do they? It's all streamed over the Internet now. So new Sky users won't be getting satellite dishes installed. I think it's only Freesat now that new users will need a satellite dish for. It will be a shame to see less of them. I always like to point out to people that you can always work out which direction you're facing just by looking at position of nearby satellite dishes. Every one is oriented in a south-southeast direction, as it's just the one satellite that provides Sky and Freesat services for the whole country.
I expect that the pendulum is purely decorative and plays no part in timekeeping. Most low-price pendulum clocks have a standard battery powered quartz movement doing the actual work.John Lewis sell a 'radio controlled pendulum clock'. How does that work ?
https://www.johnlewis.com/acctim-we...-numeral-pendulum-wall-clock-brown/p112232451
In theory my Gran could get at least three regions, West (primary region) from Mendip, South West (secondary region) from Stockland Hill and Wales from Wenvoe.
Interestingly she could get a usable signal from both Mendip and Wenvoe, for the BBC multiplexes at least, despite the transmitters being in different directions.
Also multiple antennas, you could have a Band I, Band II, Band III and a Band IV/V UHF antenna for both 405 line TV, 625 line TV and VHF FM radio. There is a thread on the vintage-radio.net forum that has pictures of properties that still have their old aerials present, there's a couple round here.
In the early "70s, I lived in Colchester where I could get TV from 3 different main Transmitters :In theory my Gran could get at least three regions, West (primary region) from Mendip, South West (secondary region) from Stockland Hill and Wales from Wenvoe.
Interestingly she could get a usable signal from both Mendip and Wenvoe, for the BBC multiplexes at least, despite the transmitters being in different directions.
Also multiple antennas, you could have a Band I, Band II, Band III and a Band IV/V UHF antenna for both 405 line TV, 625 line TV and VHF FM radio. There is a thread on the vintage-radio.net forum that has pictures of properties that still have their old aerials present, there's a couple round here.
I grew up with a ca. 1837 long case clock in the house (hourly chimes). That kept good time up to about 2000, when it was deemed not worth paying to have it cleaned again. Regulating that was an education in patience.I have two pendulum clocks running, one of which belonged to my grandparents, and probably dates from their marriage in 1912. It keeps quite good time, currently gaining around half a minute a week, but that will likely reduce in warmer conditions. So it's an anachronism in its age but is telling the current time.
163 years, I don’t think a modern clock would last that long.I grew up with a ca. 1837 long case clock in the house (hourly chimes). That kept good time up to about 2000, when it was deemed not worth paying to have it cleaned again. Regulating that was an education in patience.
With a longcase clock you only need to be worried if it was bought in the morning of the day you were born and then suddenly stopped working...163 years, I don’t think a modern clock would last that long.
Like!With a longcase clock you only need to be worried if it was bought in the morning of the day you were born and then suddenly stopped working...![]()
Given how far signals can travel and assuming a decent aerial setup that's no surprise.Until digital switchover and so on, it was possible for places in the Shetlands to pick up Norwegian and Swedish TV signals as well as BBC and STV
I think the modern equivalent of aerials getting signals from different country, pirate radio stations might be vpn's probably something more technical though. I'm not the best inofrmed, but know some people that use websites that give out certain peoples account passwords so you could use there account to stream content for free that is meant to be paid.Given how far signals can travel and assuming a decent aerial setup that's no surprise.
At one point the re-broadcast link for ITV for the Channel Islands was done by picking up Rowridge in Brittany and then via microwave to Jersey. The BBC digital/NICAM radio link was via Stockland Hill (East Devon) and Alderney using only 250W effective radiated power.
I think companies realised that they make more money when stuff doesn't last as long. I've also heard with computers and stuff it's easier to manufacture something to only last as long as they plan it to last.With a longcase clock you only need to be worried if it was bought in the morning of the day you were born and then suddenly stopped working...![]()