• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,122
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Talking of dentists - the glass of pink 'water' at the side of the chair with which to rinse one's mouth and then spit into the little sink with permanently running water.... Haven't seen one of those for years...
Still a thing at my dentist....but nowadays it's a glass of green water.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,941
Talking of dentists - the glass of pink 'water' at the side of the chair with which to rinse one's mouth and then spit into the little sink with permanently running water.... Haven't seen one of those for years...

Plastic cup of pink water for me.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
The mechanics of the drill being exposed - what looked like a couple of lengths of off-white string going round a couple of pulleys.
I remember the anaesthetics used for fillings took up to 20 minutes to achieve full effect. The procedure was to sit in the chair for the jab(s), then return to the waiting room to numb up whilst the next person was attended to. After leaving the surgery, it could take a couple of hours before dribbling stopped and full control of the mouth returned. Modern anaesthetics take less than 30 seconds to work and less than 30 minutes to leave.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,712
Someone whose memory stretches further back than mine may remember the purpose of road "check points". I can recall from childhood car journeys on major roads, that vehicles or a proportion of them were occasionally directed to a designated "check point" but my memory is hazy regarding the purpose of this.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,034
Someone whose memory stretches further back than mine may remember the purpose of road "check points". I can recall from childhood car journeys on major roads, that vehicles or a proportion of them were occasionally directed to a designated "check point" but my memory is hazy regarding the purpose of this.
I don't remember checks for cars. There were inspection points for lorries, to check their weight and safety, which used to be at designated locations. I think such checks are still done now, but at random places like service areas.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,296
Someone whose memory stretches further back than mine may remember the purpose of road "check points". I can recall from childhood car journeys on major roads, that vehicles or a proportion of them were occasionally directed to a designated "check point" but my memory is hazy regarding the purpose of this.
There's a big DVSA checkpoint area alongside the M74 motorway (Southbound) in the Beattock Summit area. Primarily used for checking HGVs. Car (and other type of vehicles) check points tend to be set up 'ad hoc', at more random locations, alongside 'A' roads, with ANPR systems likely being used to indicate which vehicles definitely need to be pulled over for further checking (no insurance, no MOT, no road tax, stolen vehicles, cloned vehicles and/or drugs or criminal activity markers, etc). And sometimes officers will pull over vehicles that just look plain unroadworthy.
 

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,903
There's a big DVSA checkpoint area alongside the M74 motorway (Southbound) in the Beattock Summit area. Primarily used for checking HGVs. Car (and other type of vehicles) check points tend to be set up 'ad hoc', at more random locations, alongside 'A' roads, with ANPR systems likely being used to indicate which vehicles definitely need to be pulled over for further checking (no insurance, no MOT, no road tax, stolen vehicles, cloned vehicles and/or drugs or criminal activity markers, etc). And sometimes officers will pull over vehicles that just look plain unroadworthy.
I’ll admit that I’m a fairly infrequent traveler along that road, but I don’t recall ever seeing the checkpoint in use.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,809
Location
SW London
I've seen a checkpoint on Blackfriars Bridge a couple of times. Only stopping commercial vehicles. One of the things they were looking for was "red" diesel.

(For those who don't know what that is, it is diesel on which duty has not been paid, which is only permitted to be used for agricultural and other industrial purposes (generators etc), and is dyed red so that it can be identified.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,122
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I've seen a checkpoint on Blackfriars Bridge a couple of times. Only stopping commercial vehicles. One of the things they were looking for was "red" diesel.

(For those who don't know what that is, it is diesel on which duty has not been paid, which is only permitted to be used for agricultural and other industrial purposes (generators etc), and is dyed red so that it can be identified.
.....and for diesel trains!
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,130
There's a big DVSA checkpoint area alongside the M74 motorway (Southbound) in the Beattock Summit area. Primarily used for checking HGVs. Car (and other type of vehicles) check points tend to be set up 'ad hoc', at more random locations, alongside 'A' roads, with ANPR systems likely being used to indicate which vehicles definitely need to be pulled over for further checking (no insurance, no MOT, no road tax, stolen vehicles, cloned vehicles and/or drugs or criminal activity markers, etc). And sometimes officers will pull over vehicles that just look plain unroadworthy.
There is also one on the M25 in Surrey near Leatherhead. I have seen a DVSA vehicle lying in wait on the M25, then speed off and apprehend a foreign-registered vehicle to escort it to the inspection area just off the motorway. This was within the last 3 months.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,727
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Someone whose memory stretches further back than mine may remember the purpose of road "check points". I can recall from childhood car journeys on major roads, that vehicles or a proportion of them were occasionally directed to a designated "check point" but my memory is hazy regarding the purpose of this.
Oh yes -I well recall, as a 1970s youngster, family's car being directed to a police checkpoint on the A303*, as we headed westwards to visit my maternal grandmother. As our Morris Marina queued for inspection, a friendly officer would look at mother crocheting, two lads playing I-Spy in the back - and wave us on.
I think - but am not 100% firm on this - that it was in the time of a heightened sensitivity and security, due to The Troubles.

* I used to get motion-sickness, which scuppered my father's hopes of M4-M5. However, the inevitable food-stop in Devizes, coincided with a visit to the local model-shop - and my parting with pocket money, for the next desired OO wagon or carriage! :D
 
Last edited:

EYFanatic

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2025
Messages
666
Location
Hell's Dungeon
I think - but am not 100% firm on this - that it was in the time of a heightened sensitivity and security, due to The Troubles.
Christ on a stick, I remember those - was with my dad just after Arndale's frontage was rearranged by some unhappy Irish fellows and he got pulled at a check point because he was driving a vehicle with Irish Republic plates on. Almost got done for Red Diesel too until he explained that the vehicle had come from Ireland and been fuelled up by the previous owner and they let him off for that and gave him a ticket he had to show until the fuel tank was dry if he got pulled over
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,149
Location
Wilmslow
I encountered a check point a few years ago, I don’t know its purpose but my understanding is that you are required to stop if directed to but don’t have to say anything, I think they asked the purpose of my journey and I politely told them it was none of their business. Probably ten years ago.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
I encountered a check point a few years ago, I don’t know its purpose but my understanding is that you are required to stop if directed to but don’t have to say anything, I think they asked the purpose of my journey and I politely told them it was none of their business. Probably ten years ago.
Isn’t it also the case that there has to be something specific that they stop you for - no blanket or random checks (unlike in many other countries). Blinker speed being a useful “catch all”.
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
846
Location
Preston
I encountered a check point a few years ago, I don’t know its purpose but my understanding is that you are required to stop if directed to but don’t have to say anything, I think they asked the purpose of my journey and I politely told them it was none of their business. Probably ten years ago.
That's the traffic census, helps the DfT decide where to expand the motorway and trunk network.
Isn’t it also the case that there has to be something specific that they stop you for - no blanket or random checks (unlike in many other countries). Blinker speed being a useful “catch all”.
Since that's not an enforcement check that doesn't apply, so they can pull in batches.
 

EYFanatic

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2025
Messages
666
Location
Hell's Dungeon
Isn’t it also the case that there has to be something specific that they stop you for - no blanket or random checks (unlike in many other countries). Blinker speed being a useful “catch all”.
Thats true, although a blanket check on certain vehicles is occasionally done. When the Soham murders happened, I remember them stopping all dark blue and black cars of a certain type and reg start as they thought it might be involved
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
Thats true, although a blanket check on certain vehicles is occasionally done. When the Soham murders happened, I remember them stopping all dark blue and black cars of a certain type and reg start as they thought it might be involved
But then that is a specific reason.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,809
Location
SW London
I've been stopped by the Essex Constabulary because the car I was driving on business came up on ANPR as having been involved in a forecourt drive-off six months previously. The documents I presented, showing I had only picked up the car from Hertz that morning, seemed to satisfy them. I resisted the temptation to say that the evidence had been burnt!

Was somewhat embarrassing nevertheless as my boss was in the passenger seat. She was not amused!
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
I've been stopped by the Essex Constabulary because the car I was driving on business came up on ANPR as having been involved in a forecourt drive-off six months previously. The documents I presented, showing I had only picked up the car from Hertz that morning, seemed to satisfy them. I resisted the temptation to say that the evidence had been burnt!

Was somewhat embarrassing nevertheless as my boss was in the passenger seat. She was not amused!
Sounds like a bit of an administrative foul up on the part of the Police - chasing up offences committed by car hirers should be pretty easy (or at least should come off watch lists pretty quickly if it’s a driver offence rather than an owner offence).
 

cb a1

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2015
Messages
462
I encountered a check point a few years ago, I don’t know its purpose but my understanding is that you are required to stop if directed to but don’t have to say anything, I think they asked the purpose of my journey and I politely told them it was none of their business. Probably ten years ago.
Expanding on what cool110 wrote, the information collected is used to understand travel patterns and journey purposes. Not only done by the DfT, but pretty much any highway / roads authorities across the world. Similar surveys are / were done on bus and rail too.

It has been my displeasure to organise quite a lot of these in the past. They are an absolute nightmare to do and the level of abuse that the poor enumerators were sometimes subjected to was horrendous despite the ultimate objective of the data collection being to make everyone's life better through an improved transport system.

Thankfully, third party datasets are rapidly becoming easier and cheaper to obtain through people's use of mobile phones, smart ticketing systems, in-vehicle satellite navigation systems, etc., thus making roadside censuses anachronistic.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,149
Location
Wilmslow
Expanding on what cool110 wrote, the information collected is used to understand travel patterns and journey purposes. Not only done by the DfT, but pretty much any highway / roads authorities across the world. Similar surveys are / were done on bus and rail too.

It has been my displeasure to organise quite a lot of these in the past. They are an absolute nightmare to do and the level of abuse that the poor enumerators were sometimes subjected to was horrendous despite the ultimate objective of the data collection being to make everyone's life better through an improved transport system.

Thankfully, third party datasets are rapidly becoming easier and cheaper to obtain through people's use of mobile phones, smart ticketing systems, in-vehicle satellite navigation systems, etc., thus making roadside censuses anachronistic.
Thanks, and agreed.
I certainly wasn’t abusive when I was stopped, I simply said that I wouldn’t answer their questions and went on my way.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,130
Quite possibly. Think we've now, more-or-less, disproved that roadside "check points" are entirely only a thing of the past.
Did you miss my post #3940?

There is also one on the M25 in Surrey near Leatherhead. I have seen a DVSA vehicle lying in wait on the M25, then speed off and apprehend a foreign-registered vehicle to escort it to the inspection area just off the motorway. This was within the last 3 months.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,809
Location
SW London
That's the traffic census, helps the DfT decide where to expand the motorway and trunk network.
I was stopped for a census once. One of the questions was whether I could have made the journey by public transport. Well, yes and no. The journey can easily be made by public transport, but there would not have been much point in not taking the car, as the purpose of the journey was to take it for its MoT!
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
Speaking of Orange street lights, anyone remember the old beacon style street lights, they were replaced in the 1980s by more efficient street lights, which are currently being replaced by the LED street lights.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,034
There was a discussion about older style street lighting on here, just over a year ago:
Being outside til dark and having a constant orange glow across the streets, which I remember coming through the house at night, something which is now almost completely gone with the replacement of LED fixtures and modern lighting assets, everything now being very very bright, and white!
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
I do miss the sodium street lights, particularly at night when looking at places from a distance & you see the Orange flicker like roman candles.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Speaking of Orange street lights, anyone remember the old beacon style street lights, they were replaced in the 1980s by more efficient street lights, which are currently being replaced by the LED street lights.
Do you mean the ones which look a bit like belisha beacons, but with a steady white light instead of flashing amber? I'm sure there are still some of those around.
 

Top