• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jadmor

Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
156
In the early 1960's I was taught ... 22 yards = 1 chain, 10 chains = 1 furlong, 10 furlongs = 1 mile.
Our exercise books had tables of old measurements on the back cover including obsolete things like "rods, poles or perches "

Funnily enough when we cleared my dad's stuff I found a tape measure with odd divisions, which turned out to be chains and links - one hundredth of a chain!
I hope they didn't teach you that a mile is 10 furlongs!
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,151
Location
Wilmslow
I hope they didn't teach you that a mile is 10 furlongs!
We had that discussion already!
 

scarby

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
891
Novelty songs/artists.

Examples such as Clive Dunn, 'Grandad' (although he was only 50 years old when it was recorded), Don Estelle and Windsor Davis 'Whispering Grass', 'Get Down Shep' by the Barron Knights and so on.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Novelty songs/artists.

Examples such as Clive Dunn, 'Grandad' (although he was only 50 years old when it was recorded), Don Estelle and Windsor Davis 'Whispering Grass', 'Get Down Shep' by the Barron Knights and so on.
If we're going back a long way then how about the BBC TV interlude films. Probably the most famous was the potter's wheel, of the kitten with a ball of wool. Probably more of interest here are the transport related films, i.e. London to Brighton in 4 minutes, (this was remade sometime in the '80s in colour with MK1 EMUs), West London Air Terminal to Heathrow in ? minutes, and various chill type films such as a slow boat on the River Ouse.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,298
Novelty songs/artists.

Examples such as Clive Dunn, 'Grandad' (although he was only 50 years old when it was recorded), Don Estelle and Windsor Davis 'Whispering Grass', 'Get Down Shep' by the Barron Knights and so on.
Or Lee Marvin's iconic rendition of "Wand'rin' Star", taken from the 1969 film "Paint Your Wagon", where he didn't actually sing as such, it was essentially a low-pitched, gravelly baritone growl.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,317
If we're going back a long way then how about the BBC TV interlude films. Probably the most famous was the potter's wheel, of the kitten with a ball of wool. Probably more of interest here are the transport related films, i.e. London to Brighton in 4 minutes, (this was remade sometime in the '80s in colour with MK1 EMUs), West London Air Terminal to Heathrow in ? minutes, and various chill type films such as a slow boat on the River Ouse.
I think the bbc has a page with all or many of these available to view.
 

EYFanatic

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2025
Messages
667
Location
Hell's Dungeon
Didn't a U.S. space probe crash on Mars in the late 1990s after a contractor used U.S. measurement units for the ground landing software (instead of metric) and NASA hadn't then realised this?
Mars Climate Orbiter. NASA used metric and Lockheed used Imperial for calculations

Specifically, software that calculated the total impulse produced by thruster firings produced results in pound-force seconds. The trajectory calculation software then used these results – expected to be in newton-seconds (incorrect by a factor of 4.45) – to update the predicted position of the spacecraft. Whilst the common belief is that it was destroyed on entry, there is the possibility that the craft skipped off the lower atmosphere and entered heliocentric orbit
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,730
Location
Scotland
Whilst the common belief is that it was destroyed on entry, there is the possibility that the craft skipped off the lower atmosphere and entered heliocentric orbit
The difference between aerobraking and lithobraking.

Off topic diversion, but it highlights the main difficulty in going to Mars: the atmosphere is thick enough to kill you, but too thin to help you much.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,715
Thinking of Gordon Ramsay first and foremost as being part of Glasgow Rangers FC.
 

Mogz

On Moderation
Joined
20 May 2019
Messages
636
Being early 40s I'm at a pretty unique age that I use imperial in metric mixed.

measurements I can do either, through prefer millimeters for small stuff under an inch.

Fluids depend on what it is, litres for paint, pints for milk, water, stock and beer, litres for fuel prices, miles for milage. Again I tend to default to metric for small stuff under a pint.

Weights, I tend to be mainly metric, but if buying loose stuff over the counter it's oz and lbs.

People... stones and a lbs, feet and inches. I can visualize a 6ft tall 14 stone bloke, but give it me in metric I'll need a moment to convert it.

I used to work an a hardware store and mixed systems were quite usual.

Can I have 2.4m of 3"X2"...

How many square meters of laminate floor do I need for a 12ft by 18ft room.

Have you got 4ft of M8 threaded bar.

8ft of 2.5mm T&E

... four candles please.
Same age… same thing here!

I think our generation are pretty much bilingual when it comes to weights and measures!

I remember very well that loose sweets and pick n mix were sold by the “quarter” everywhere until 2000 when most shops switched to “per 100g” with no corresponding reduction in price!

You will still find some independent shops still selling sweets “per quarter lb/ 113g” though! ☺️

Also, while schools taught exclusively metric for a time in the 70s and 80s, since the National Curriculum was introduced in 1988 the maths curriculum includes modules on imperial measures for “imperial measures that are still
in common usage” and approximate metric conversions.

This is limited to:

Gallons, Pints, Fl Oz

Stone, Pounds and Ounces

Miles, Yards, Feet and Inches.
 
Last edited:

ic31420

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2017
Messages
404
Location
United Kingdom
Manual Chokes on cars and the knack / skill of feeding it back in as the car warmed.

Carphones I remember my dad getting one in his C reg Vauxhall Cavalier. The neighbours all came and took turns to sit on the drive and phone their wives in the house.

Rabbit Phones

2 star and 4 star petrol and attended petrol stations

Tiger Tokens

One that came up at work was portable gas fires and the smell and sound of them, particularly as the gas bottle ran low

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

!

I remember very well that loose sweets and pick n mix were sold by the “quarter” everywhere until 2000 when most shops switched to “per 100g” with no corresponding reduction in price!

You will still find some independent shops still selling sweets “per quarter lb/ 113g” though! ☺️

I recently been discussing g/oz with my little lad.

I recently ordered my lad 4oz or sweets in a shop and he pulled them up for lazily weighing out 100g rather than the fuller 112g.

Albeit because he though he was being diddled out of 12g
:)
 
Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
Portable gas fires still exist, though they create a fair bit of moisture. In reality to be used safely properly a window should be open, kind of negating their use. Very few people would leave a window open though.

Talking about chokes on cars, I remember my Gran having a manual one on her F reg Volvo 340 GLE, there was an orange light on the dash to remind you it was in use. Of course a lot of small engined devices (pressure washers, lawn mowers, strimmers Etc.) still have a choke. It can be tricky sometimes to know if an engine has cooled enough to need the choke or not.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,715
Talking about chokes on cars, I remember my Gran having a manual one on her F reg Volvo 340 GLE
I noticed the following in a different forum concerning a matronly schoolteacher in the 1960s.

"Miss Mair was having problems with her Renault, Jim Rankin the garage owner couldn't understand what the problem was so he said he would accompany her on a drive. "show me exactly what you do" he asked her. Maimie pulled out the choke-and hung her handbag on it... (The handbag had been hung on the extended choke knob so that she could dig out her lipstick. She then proceeded to apply the said lipstick using her rear-view mirror.)"
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,123
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I noticed the following in a different forum concerning a matronly schoolteacher in the 1960s.

"Miss Mair was having problems with her Renault, Jim Rankin the garage owner couldn't understand what the problem was so he said he would accompany her on a drive. "show me exactly what you do" he asked her. Maimie pulled out the choke-and hung her handbag on it... (The handbag had been hung on the extended choke knob so that she could dig out her lipstick. She then proceeded to apply the said lipstick using her rear-view mirror.)"
Was that by any chance the Miss Mair who taught at Hermitage Academy....and Jim Rankin the garage owner in Helensburgh? (Sorry Mods.... somewhat off-topic, I know! ;)).
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Talking about chokes on cars, I remember my Gran having a manual one on her F reg Volvo 340 GLE, there was an orange light on the dash to remind you it was in use. Of course a lot of small engined devices (pressure washers, lawn mowers, strimmers Etc.) still have a choke. It can be tricky sometimes to know if an engine has cooled enough to need the choke or not.
The newest car I've driven with a manual choke was a base model 1992 Escort, by that point I think they were quite rare on new cars.
 

Ken X

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2021
Messages
347
Location
Horsham
I noticed the following in a different forum concerning a matronly schoolteacher in the 1960s.

"Miss Mair was having problems with her Renault, Jim Rankin the garage owner couldn't understand what the problem was so he said he would accompany her on a drive. "show me exactly what you do" he asked her. Maimie pulled out the choke-and hung her handbag on it... (The handbag had been hung on the extended choke knob so that she could dig out her lipstick. She then proceeded to apply the said lipstick using her rear-view mirror.)"
Friend of ours ran a garage many years ago and sold a new Renault 5 turbo to a chap. He soon brought it back saying it was down on power. The car was checked and no fault found. This scenario repeated itself a couple of times and finally our friend asked the owner to take him out and demonstrate the problem.

Turned out the owner was changing up the gears before the turbo had a chance to run up.

Now the garage owner had a hobby of racing touring cars so he offered to take the owner out and show how the car could perform.

Half an hour later a very pale owner agreed the car had lots of power and handled very well. :D
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,496
Location
Sheffield
My first car had no heater, wind down windows that stuck, wipers that staggered across the windscreen and needed 'winding up' with a starting handle. 0-60? Only down hill with a following wind. It would now be considered a classic car but the rust got it. (Bought for £50 and passed to brother 2 months later- then got another rusting car 9 years younger.)

My mother told of her father getting his first company car. No side windows at all.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,151
Location
Wilmslow
2 star and 4 start petrol and attended petrol stations
I remember 3 star and 5 star as well, my father acquired a Rover 2000 TC in the early 1970s and it had a sticker next to the fuel filler demanding only 5 star be used.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,715
Was that by any chance the Miss Mair who taught at Hermitage Academy....and Jim Rankin the garage owner in Helensburgh? (Sorry Mods.... somewhat off-topic, I know! ;)).
Yeah - featured a while back on Robert Ryan's 'Helensburgh Memories' Facebook page.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Another car related one, buying vans for conversion to cars.

In the 50s purchase tax on cars was significantly higher than on vans. To get around this many small vans were designed to be easily convertible to estate cars by replacing the rear side panels with windows and bolting a rear bench seat to the floor. A fair few years before my time (I was a late surprise), but my dad took advantage of this when buying his first car.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
I remember 3 star and 5 star as well, my father acquired a Rover 2000 TC in the early 1970s and it had a sticker next to the fuel filler demanding only 5 star be used.
On the subject of fuelling cars, do some drivers still put 'shots' of additives such a redex or equivalents into their tanks before filling?
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
935
Location
Birmingham
On the subject of fuelling cars, do some drivers still put 'shots' of additives such a redex or equivalents into their tanks before filling?

A few days before an MOT I will, otherwise no.

I drive a 4 year old Seat Ibiza so it's probably unnecessary, but it can't hurt.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,950
Location
Gwynedd
On the subject of fuelling cars, do some drivers still put 'shots' of additives such a redex or equivalents into their tanks before filling?
I have a filthy diesel. Not ULEZ/CAZ compliant etc. Mostly the high rev, high temp driving keeps things running clean, but a couple of weeks before an MOT I do stick a bottle of Redex DPF cleaner in. Admittedly I also inherited about a dozen bottles from my father in law so it's not costing me anything. But err.. better safe than sorry?
 

Top