• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
I know I had a science teacher who had changed the colour of one of her bathrooms walls to match a specific colour of a new loo roll she liked, only for that colour to no longer be stocked in the 4 packs she brought. It could still be purchased in larger packs but that bathroom had no room for larger packs and suppodedly she had nowhere else to store them. A bit strange if you ask me!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,124
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I know I had a science teacher who had changed the colour of one of her bathrooms walls to match a specific colour of a new loo roll she liked, only for that colour to no longer be stocked in the 4 packs she brought. It could still be purchased in larger packs but that bathroom had no room for larger packs and suppodedly she had nowhere else to store them. A bit strange if you ask me!
How did you find that out? Did she tell the whole class? If I were her I would have kept quiet about it!
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
How did you find that out? Did she tell the whole class? If I were her I would have kept quiet about it!
Yes she told us about it in class. She was also a bit strange in using a roll of film on her overhead projector to write on rather than the whiteboard.
And to think we were the top class for science!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,326
I think the paper went the way of multi coloured sanitary ware. When did you last see a newly built house with a green or pink bathroom suite?
Good point. I rented a house once with a pink suite. Probably original to the mid 60s built house. Cistern lid was cracked.
I got a matching replacement for the landlord from a place like this stockist.


I wonder when white bathrooms will go back out of fashion again.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Good point. I rented a house once with a pink suite. Probably original to the mid 60s built house. Cistern lid was cracked.
I got a matching replacement for the landlord from a place like this stockist.


I wonder when white bathrooms will go back out of fashion again.
Less likely, they just increase stock expenses but are unlikely to increase sales.
 

EYFanatic

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2025
Messages
667
Location
Hell's Dungeon
No problem... One of the advantages is that most combine the black and white sets with an AM/FM radio

Go somewhere like the North York Moors on an evening and you can pick up the dutch radio pirates quite easily
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,784
Location
St Albans
.......She was also a bit strange in using a roll of film on her overhead projector to write on rather than the whiteboard.
And to think we were the top class for science!
A few teachers did things that way as they remain facing the class and thus maintain an eye on them more easily than if they turn their back to write on the white/black-board.
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,185
The impossibility of getting a b&w tv these days prevents substantial savings on the tv licence being achievable, sadly. ;)
Indeed, I would guess that b&w TV licences only account for a very tiny percentage of all TV licences issued these days, probably less than 1%.

That said, I believe that many b&w TVs can be connected to a digital receiver.
Some camping supply stores (both tented and caravan/motorhome) sell black and white windup TVs and you can still get a license for them too for home use!
Can they pick up a digital signal, though? Are they designed to receive a digital signal or do you have to connect them to some kind of device for that?
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,746
Drinking Champagne from those glasses known as saucers.

If you have a bottle of bubbly these days you use flutes.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,951
Location
Gwynedd
In the 1980's I had a lovely avocado coloured trill phone. Them were the days!
I saw a couple of trim phone and rotary phone come up on Freecycle the other day and was tempted to get them to use as ornaments (we don't use a landline at all). They were snapped up quickly though!
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
846
Location
Preston
Was that the proper name, I thought it was trillphone for the sound it made......and radioactive!? That explains a lot :lol:
It actually stands for Tone Ringer Illuminated Model, said illumination being provided by a phosphor coated vial of tritium behind the dial.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
It actually stands for Tone Ringer Illuminated Model, said illumination being provided by a phosphor coated vial of tritium behind the dial.
They still sell a safe non-radioactive version. I'd beware of anything secondhand, though...
 

Lloyds siding

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2020
Messages
626
Location
Merseyside
I hope you registered the alarm clock as an unsealed source :lol:
I used to sleep with it about 6" away from my head...which explains a lot.
I think it was probably assumed to be exempt under the Phosphatic Substances and Rare Earths exemption order, on the grounds of having a useful purpose other than setting alarms for geiger counters, in that you could set alarms to wake up too!
Probably covered by grandfather rights too (after all, it did belong to my grandfather!) ;)
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
Indeed, I would guess that b&w TV licences only account for a very tiny percentage of all TV licences issued these days, probably less than 1%.

That said, I believe that many b&w TVs can be connected to a digital receiver.

Can they pick up a digital signal, though? Are they designed to receive a digital signal or do you have to connect them to some kind of device for that?
If there is no baseband/composite video input then so long as there is an external aerial connector then a simple RF modulator (or a VCR with a video input) will work to convert a digital reciever to work with a black and white TV (or any TV). There are also some HDMI to RF converters as well.
There were some digital TV recievers with RF modulators but I don't think there are any with DVB T2/HD compatibility which is needed for some channels.
 

Top