Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
If I was suddenly asked to take a theory test I’d like to think I’d pass, but in reality I probably wouldn’t. I’m nearly 75 and been driving 50+ years. In that time there’s been many changes and additions to the Highway Code much of which I’m sure would catch me out.
If I was suddenly asked to take a theory test I’d like to think I’d pass, but in reality I probably wouldn’t. I’m nearly 75 and been driving 50+ years. In that time there’s been many changes and additions to the Highway Code much of which I’m sure would catch me out.
If I was suddenly asked to take a theory test I’d like to think I’d pass, but in reality I probably wouldn’t. I’m nearly 75 and been driving 50+ years. In that time there’s been many changes and additions to the Highway Code much of which I’m sure would catch me out.
I feel the same, and I've been driving for even longer.
When the Highway Code first came out, while I was still a child, my recollection is that it was only a few pages. Now it's a small book. There's a lot there that one should know.
If I was suddenly asked to take a theory test I’d like to think I’d pass, but in reality I probably wouldn’t. I’m nearly 75 and been driving 50+ years. In that time there’s been many changes and additions to the Highway Code much of which I’m sure would catch me out.
There are mock tests you can do online if you're curious, I did one when my wife was learning to drive 13 years ago, IIRC I passed it but only narrowly, I did get a few questions wrong. The majority of the questions were just basic common sense ones which any driver should know.
I feel the same, and I've been driving for even longer.
When the Highway Code first came out, while I was still a child, my recollection is that it was only a few pages. Now it's a small book. There's a lot there that one should know.
I believe the Metro newspaper still do this - Rush Hour Crush. It is aimed at people you've seen on your travels and want to get in contact with, so a little more niche than a generic personal ad, but I quite like it!
NB: I haven't read the Metro since around 2022 so I am just assuming it is still going.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
The one at the start is a 'Tell Me' question, typically about making sure the car is safe to drive.
The one during is a 'Show Me' question, where you'll actually need to demonstrate a vehicle control like how to use the horn, wipes, windows, etc.
If you get either or both of them wrong, you'll get a single driving fault (a 'minor'). If you manage to do something dangerous or potentially dangerous, it'll be a serious fault or a dangerous fault (a 'major'), though I imagine this is exceptionally rare!
Indeed. And I'd actually be quite in favour of mandatory periodical theory+hazard testing. The theory multiple choice questions mainly because the highway code has been updated every year for over over a dozen consecutive years (excluding 2020 when time seemed to stand still for some of us). The hazard perception mainly for older drivers, probably alongside the eye sight tests. And yes I know younger drivers are more likely to end up crashing, but that's less to do with knowledge of the rules of the road or hazard perception test passability - it's usually lack of practical experience or in some cases merely immaturity.
I know younger drivers are more likely to end up crashing, but that's less to do with knowledge of the rules of the road or hazard perception test passability - it's usually lack of practical experience or in some cases merely immaturity.
If I was suddenly asked to take a theory test I’d like to think I’d pass, but in reality I probably wouldn’t. I’m nearly 75 and been driving 50+ years. In that time there’s been many changes and additions to the Highway Code much of which I’m sure would catch me out.
One of the stupid decisions made over the years was to stop including those leaflets explaining new rules and signs etc with letters about vehicle tax and MOTs etc. I’m fairly sure back when they were a very regular thing people kept up to date with changes more easily...
I believe the Metro newspaper still do this - Rush Hour Crush. It is aimed at people you've seen on your travels and want to get in contact with, so a little more niche than a generic personal ad, but I quite like it!
NB: I haven't read the Metro since around 2022 so I am just assuming it is still going.
One of the stupid decisions made over the years was to stop including those leaflets explaining new rules and signs etc with letters about vehicle tax and MOTs etc. I’m fairly sure back when they were a very regular thing people kept up to date with changes more easily...
One of the stupid decisions made over the years was to stop including those leaflets explaining new rules and signs etc with letters about vehicle tax and MOTs etc. I’m fairly sure back when they were a very regular thing people kept up to date with changes more easily...
I've always thought they should post out updates to the highway code when they make them, and explain them in simple terms (well, they should be written in simple terms anyway).
The stats and the insurers are quite clear that reckless driving is significantly more common among young drivers (particularly 17-25 year olds) than older drivers. Not to say that serious accidents due to decreasing physical
resilience of elderly drivers never happen, of course.
The stats and the insurers are quite clear that reckless driving is significantly more common among young drivers (particularly 17-25 year olds) than older drivers. Not to say that serious accidents due to decreasing physical
resilience of elderly drivers never happen, of course.
I recently had another trip to Beamish Museum as part of the Jampot 2025 [AJS and Matchless Owner's Club annual get-together.
I managed to sneak a visit into the newish 1950s town.
Flippi' 'eck - it makes you feel old when you actually have [& use] some of the objects on display !
I appreciate you were, but nonetheless the spotlight currently seems to be on retesting for older people rather than any obvious focus on the greater numbers of those who are problematic and lie within the 17-25 age range.
I appreciate you were, but nonetheless the spotlight currently seems to be on retesting for older people rather than any obvious focus on the greater numbers of those who are problematic and lie within the 17-25 age range.
There seems to be a view here that younger drivers might cause more damage that can be excused because they as a group drive many more hours per year, - ergo they are individually less of a problem. In reality, it's the actual impact on others that needs to be the priority, irrespective of how many drivers it might impact.
I recently had another trip to Beamish Museum as part of the Jampot 2025 [AJS and Matchless Owner's Club annual get-together.
I managed to sneak a visit into the newish 1950s town.
Flippi' 'eck - it makes you feel old when you actually have [& use] some of the objects on display !
I took my father to the Textile \museum at Styal Mill shortly before he retired.
On display were two spinning mules identical to the ones he was using to produce yarn in his day job.
And the looms on display were the ones that my mother had been using a few years earlier
|
The years when it would have been impossible to envisage being able to order such a full spectrum of products from the comfort of your own home for delivery there the following day. The number of van deliveries on a daily basis to houses in our small housing estate of average affluence seems to me to have reached a level little short of being phenomenal.
The years when it would have been impossible to envisage being able to order such a full spectrum of products from the comfort of your own home for delivery there the following day. The number of van deliveries on a daily basis to houses in our small housing estate of average affluence seems to me to have reached a level little short of being phenomenal.
How long did it take for items ordered via Sir Pryce Pryce-Jones's 'Royal Welsh Warehouse' emporium in Newtown, Wales, to be delivered, back in the day (19th/20th centuries)? Presume you would have had to have factored in the additional time needed for your order to be received by the business, unless they maybe accepted telegrams & then allowed payment on receipt of goods?
The years when it would have been impossible to envisage being able to order such a full spectrum of products from the comfort of your own home for delivery there the following day. The number of van deliveries on a daily basis to houses in our small housing estate of average affluence seems to me to have reached a level little short of being phenomenal.
The years when it would have been impossible to envisage being able to order such a full spectrum of products from the comfort of your own home for delivery there the following day. The number of van deliveries on a daily basis to houses in our small housing estate of average affluence seems to me to have reached a level little short of being phenomenal.
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.