• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

dcbwhaley

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
838
Dark transparent plastic 'shades' that clipped over the top of prescription glasses to turn them into 'sunglasses'.Said shades were also prone to scratches. Now happily superseded by photochromic lenses and prescription sunglasses
Still available from Amazon. Much cheaper than prescription varifocals and have the advantage that they can be flipped up out of the way.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Something which I don't think has been mentioned so far in any of the 109 pages. Residences with outside toilets.
We had a few posts about this, ie only outside toilets, in late January from about here:

I thought it had more coverage but I found I was possibly remembering the subject came up a couple of times in the similar 2021 thread here about ‘things that used to be’:
 
Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,298
Anyone else vaguely remember those coloured plastic sheets which could be taped over a black and white TV to give it the appearance of being a colour telly. Had a blue strip along the top, a green one along the bottom, and the middle bit was orangey-yellow? Might be imagining it, but believe they really were a thing!
 

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Watford
Anyone else vaguely remember those coloured plastic sheets which could be taped over a black and white TV to give it the appearance of being a colour telly. Had a blue strip along the top, a green one along the bottom, and the middle bit was orangey-yellow? Might be imagining it, but believe they really were a thing!

I can recall knowing of them, but never actually seeing one.

Which reminds me of another candidate - products marketed as 'As advertised on TV'. When did you last see that?!
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Anyone else vaguely remember those coloured plastic sheets which could be taped over a black and white TV to give it the appearance of being a colour telly. Had a blue strip along the top, a green one along the bottom, and the middle bit was orangey-yellow? Might be imagining it, but believe they really were a thing!
Sounds very similar to the system used to fake colour graphics on the monochrome screen of a Vectrex, an early 80s gaming console.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Anyone else vaguely remember those coloured plastic sheets which could be taped over a black and white TV to give it the appearance of being a colour telly. Had a blue strip along the top, a green one along the bottom, and the middle bit was orangey-yellow? Might be imagining it, but believe they really were a thing!
Probably designed for football in an open field between Watford and Wolves…
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
Anyone else vaguely remember those coloured plastic sheets which could be taped over a black and white TV to give it the appearance of being a colour telly. Had a blue strip along the top, a green one along the bottom, and the middle bit was orangey-yellow? Might be imagining it, but believe they really were a thing!
Something like this?

 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,715
I also vaguely remember a one-off television transmission which to a very limited degree produced a bit of colour on monochrome pre-colour television sets for the brief duration of the transmission. Anyone else recall this?
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
I can recall knowing of them, but never actually seeing one.

Which reminds me of another candidate - products marketed as 'As advertised on TV'. When did you last see that?!
Can anyone here remember the large magnifying lens that were hung over the front of the then small screens (think 9 inches or so), that made the picture large enough for more than 2 viewers? Then there were the early attempts at stereo sound where one channel was received on radio (am!), and the other from VHF TV sound.
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,680
Perhaps a tangent, but for the three years I've lived in Scotland, I've never had any issues spending Scottish banknotes south of the border. All except two occasions which were both on forum meets!

Similarly, when I've had poker winnings and been given £50 notes, I've found most places accept them fine.

I'm tempted to run three experiments:
  1. Spend a Scottish £50 note somewhere in England, Wales, or NI.
  2. Spend a Bank of Scotland £100 note somewhere in Scotland.
  3. Spend a Bank of Scotland £100 note somewhere in England, Wales, or NI.
Of course not one of those people filming it for YouTube, or kicking off and shouting 'legal tender' at minimum wage service workers, but simply to see if they're accepted!

I used to use £100 notes from time to time when, as a student, I might need to move money from one bank to another in time to meet a direct debit for a rent payment. The quickest way of doing so would be to withdraw the £300 from one bank and deposit it in the other, with no time needed for it to clear. A cheque would take 5 days to clear and a bank transfer 3 days.

I did used to carry a few £1 notes in the back of my wallet to confuse cashiers in England. I expect that the surprise would be higher nowadays and the acceptance rate lower!
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,035
Can anyone here remember the large magnifying lens that were hung over the front of the then small screens (think 9 inches or so), that made the picture large enough for more than 2 viewers? Then there were the early attempts at stereo sound where one channel was received on radio (am!), and the other from VHF TV sound.
One of my uncles had one of those magnifying lenses on a TV in the late 1950s (which was before my parents had a TV of any sort). I remember it as hanging from canvas straps, maybe fixed behind the set? It probably brought the screen size up to about 12 - 13", at the cost of added distortion.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
One of my uncles had one of those magnifying lenses on a TV in the late 1950s (which was before my parents had a TV of any sort). I remember it as hanging from canvas straps, maybe fixed behind the set? It probably brought the screen size up to about 12 - 13", at the cost of added distortion.
I think that some of them were hoolow and filled with liquid (water?) to save cost. That much acrylic would be very expensive. They were held in front of the screen by two straps that went over the top of the TV cabinet.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,715
When it was fairly common for families (at best) to have one car which the male parent travelled to/from work in with children mostly travelling to/from school on foot. This meant that the phenomenon of multiple cars stopping at hazardous locations on roads close to schools at school start/finish times was seldom an issue.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
Something like this?

That system was originally invented by Baird, I understand, and also had a two colour 3D variant. Used for the CBS colour system that was not successful, partially because it was not compatible with regular black and white TV's
Some small broadcast CRT displays had a setup where the CRT itself was greyscale but used an alternating colour LCD based filter in front of the display to produce colour. JVC called it LCCS.
 

Mogz

On Moderation
Joined
20 May 2019
Messages
636
I used to use £100 notes from time to time when, as a student, I might need to move money from one bank to another in time to meet a direct debit for a rent payment. The quickest way of doing so would be to withdraw the £300 from one bank and deposit it in the other, with no time needed for it to clear. A cheque would take 5 days to clear and a bank transfer 3 days.

I did used to carry a few £1 notes in the back of my wallet to confuse cashiers in England. I expect that the surprise would be higher nowadays and the acceptance rate lower!
Scottish £1 notes! Do they still issue those, I wonder?

They were always fun to get in the 90s as a kid because you could get four or five and feel minted!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,729
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Scottish £1 notes! Do they still issue those, I wonder?

They were always fun to get in the 90s as a kid because you could get four or five and feel minted!
As a 70s youngster, I used to get 50p weekly pocket money from my parents. When we visited my paternal grandmother, who hailed from Alloa, she would furnish me with a Scottish or English £1 note. Youthful wealth indeed! :)
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,715
Scottish £1 notes! Do they still issue those, I wonder?
Regular production of them (by Royal Bank of Scotland) stopped in 2001. They are still legal tender and some are still in circulation but are hardly ever seen now.
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
Is shops being open for half a day in midweek still a thing, most areas it was Wednesday, but some areas it was Tuesday or Thursday were shops would open until 12pm, or 1pm then shut for the rest of the day, think some Market Towns still had (& may still have) half day opening one day a week in midweek well into 2000s?
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,950
Location
Gwynedd
I used to use £100 notes from time to time when, as a student, I might need to move money from one bank to another in time to meet a direct debit for a rent payment. The quickest way of doing so would be to withdraw the £300 from one bank and deposit it in the other, with no time needed for it to clear. A cheque would take 5 days to clear and a bank transfer 3 days.

I did used to carry a few £1 notes in the back of my wallet to confuse cashiers in England. I expect that the surprise would be higher nowadays and the acceptance rate lower!
When I was organising the bills for my student house, a Sri Lankan housemate used to pay me the gas/leccy in reddies. I don't think he appreciated that they could be faffy to spend, but I also think he'd taken a stash of them out at the start of the year and was just working his way through them. First thing I would do was take them to the bank. I sometimes wondered if they'd been taken out and redeposited into the same branch the same day! This was about 15 years ago mind.

I went to a gig at Nottingham Arena and tried to use a £50 to pay for some merch. The staff member didn't even say anything, just laughed at me and shook her head.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is shops being open for half a day in midweek still a thing, most areas it was Wednesday, but some areas it was Tuesday or Thursday were shops would open until 12pm, or 1pm then shut for the rest of the day, think some Market Towns still had (& may still have) half day opening one day a week in midweek well into 2000s?
We have a butchers and a fishmongers like that. They're open from about 7am though, and they open on Saturdays I think 7-3, so their Wednesday early doors is I guess like their remaining 0.5 days of their weekend.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,715
Is shops being open for half a day in midweek still a thing, most areas it was Wednesday, but some areas it was Tuesday or Thursday were shops would open until 12pm, or 1pm then shut for the rest of the day, think some Market Towns still had (& may still have) half day opening one day a week in midweek well into 2000s?
See also earlier posts scattered within the range 1,063-1,099 (Pages 36 and 37).
 
Last edited:

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,680
I suppose it depends on the location you are trying to spend the £50 note and how often they make large cash transactions - a chicken shop or corner shop would be less likely to see them than, say, a petrol filling station or a cash and carry.
 

dcbwhaley

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
838
Is shops being open for half a day in midweek still a thing, most areas it was Wednesday, but some areas it was Tuesday or Thursday were shops would open until 12pm, or 1pm then shut for the rest of the day, think some Market Towns still had (& may still have) half day opening one day a week in midweek well into 2000s?
That is why you have clubs like Sheffield Wednesday football club and Hull Thursday Cycling Club. Meeting sand competing on the towns half day closing
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,104
Location
At home or at the pub
That is why you have clubs like Sheffield Wednesday football club and Hull Thursday Cycling Club. Meeting sand competing on the towns half day closing

Its why i mentioned if half day opening was still a thing, Sheffield Wednesday were originally a Cricket club, that played on Wednesday afternoons, the football side of things was formed as to keep the team together during the Autumn/Winter, they were known as The Wednesday FC until 1929, when they changed the name to Sheffield Wednesday FC.

There is an amusing sceene in Ted Lasso, were they're discussing Sheffield Wednesday, & Ted gets confused over the name.:E
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,729
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Its why i mentioned if half day opening was still a thing, Sheffield Wednesday were originally a Cricket club, that played on Wednesday afternoons, the football side of things was formed as to keep the team together during the Autumn/Winter, they were known as The Wednesday FC until 1929, when they changed the name to Sheffield Wednesday FC.
Every day is a schoolday. 8-) Since boyhood, more than fifty years ago, I've wondered at its origins. :)
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Personal message adverts in newspapers, occasionally somewhat cryptic.
I remember them, especially when craving to be top of the listing, some advertisers started their entry with the word 'A'. Then another entry starting with AA, then AAA and so on until the first line was full of A's. :rolleyes:
 

3141

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
2,124
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
Personal message adverts in newspapers, occasionally somewhat cryptic.
There was a time when the whole front page of The Times consisted of a personal column, births and deaths, and so on. The item I liked particularly was the regular one remembering the assassination of Julius Caesar. There was no news of the normal kind, though The Times itself claimed that these items were news.

The Evening Standard in London still has messages on the lines of "You were on the Northern Line at 5.15 last Thursday between Bank and Kings Cross and you had long brown hair" by someone who hadn't the courage to speak to the person they admired at the time.
 

Top