• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things in living memory which seem very anachronistic now

ls2270

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2012
Messages
5,534
Location
Basingstoke
I still use an iPod for music on the train and CDs at home. My technical capabilities are usually about 20 years behind the current trends!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
I still use an iPod for music on the train and CDs at home. My technical capabilities are usually about 20 years behind the current trends!
Hang on to what you’ve got. Give it time they’ll come back into fashion e.g. vinyl & cassettes**

**Yes I know for many they never went away :)
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,175
Location
Reading
I still use an iPod for music on the train and CDs at home. My technical capabilities are usually about 20 years behind the current trends!

When we moved last year, I randomly found an old iPod shuffle (the ones about an inch-square). £1.49 from Amazon later for a replacement charging cable, and that was one hell of a walk down memory lane!! :D
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,952
Location
Gwynedd
I have an original iPod (A1136, technically called 'Special Edition U2', but I'm not sure why as it's plain black, not red and black as Apple would have me believe).

It has one of my first girlfriend's playlists on it.

Don't actually have the cable to charge it I don't think.

I do still use a tiny MP3 player though, as it fits well under a swimming hat.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,175
Location
Reading
I have an original iPod (A1136, technically called 'Special Edition U2', but I'm not sure why as it's plain black, not red and black as Apple would have me believe).

It has one of my first girlfriend's playlists on it.

Don't actually have the cable to charge it I don't think.

I do still use a tiny MP3 player though, as it fits well under a swimming hat.

Is that the one that came pre-loaded with the infamous U2 album? I remember a lot of media coverage / outrage about it at the time!
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,952
Location
Gwynedd
Is that the one that came pre-loaded with the infamous U2 album? I remember a lot of media coverage / outrage about it at the time!
I genuinely can't remember!

And I'd have to get a cable to boot it up and see if it still has it!
 

Tramfan

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2011
Messages
679
Location
.
Somewhere I've still got a Minidisc recorder, used to think it was great being able to record/erase/re-record stuff so easily. Then getting an MP3 player and being able to carry thousands of songs on such a small device seemed incredible at the time.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,175
Location
Reading
Somewhere I've still got a Minidisc recorder, used to think it was great being able to record/erase/re-record stuff so easily. Then getting an MP3 player and being able to carry thousands of songs on such a small device seemed incredible at the time.

Yep I found my Sony one in the same box as the iPod! Still works as well. Also has an AM / FM radio built in. I also found my copy of Now! 43, which (according to a cursory google) might be worth a few bob!
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I still use an iPod for music on the train and CDs at home. My technical capabilities are usually about 20 years behind the current trends!
I had need to buy a new cable. I got funny looks in every tech shop I tried; most thought I meant i"pad" and they looked clueless when I said i"pod". I eventually found one in an "Exhange Mart" store. I was away so couldn't order from Amazon
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,717
Bridge Rolls aka Finger Rolls.
At one time they were a popular and more substantial alternative to sandwiches particularly if it was a special occasion e.g. a post-wedding or post-funeral buffet. Not dissimilar to brioche in appearance but more akin to a soft normal roll in texture and lack of sweetness. It may be they are still popular and plentiful in some parts of the country but in my earlier years they were almost an inevitable feature at parties and other special occasions often loaded with egg and cress.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also 'wicked' to mean good. Very popular teen slang in the late 80s and 90s but it's been years since I last heard anyone use the word in that context.
"Groovy" is another word which has all but disappeared with its connotation of vinyl records.
 
Last edited:

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,747
Boot scrapers outside front doors. They can still be seen in some Victorian terraces but I doubt that many people now what they are, and even fewer know why they were required.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,702
Location
Hope Valley
Boot scrapers outside front doors. They can still be seen in some Victorian terraces but I doubt that many people now what they are, and even fewer know why they were required.
Still very common on farms and in rural areas generally. You can buy new ones.
 

TheTTTEGeek

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2024
Messages
53
Location
Canada
Having to buy a show at episodes per tape/diisc. That might not sound bad or your Brits who have short shows but just to own the first season (or as you brits call series) of Star Blazers you had to buy 13 tapes or if you waited for the other seasons to released (which took 15 years after the first appeared on home video) you could get them on 3 sets of 7 tapes. What makes it even worse this version is that each episode is watermarked on the intro to say what part of the box set you're watching despite the VHS sleeve the stamping where the long skinny label would go & where the tiny fat label would go.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Having to buy a show at episodes per tape/diisc. That might not sound bad or your Brits who have short shows but just to own the first season (or as you brits call series) of Star Blazers you had to buy 13 tapes or if you waited for the other seasons to released (which took 15 years after the first appeared on home video) you could get them on 3 sets of 7 tapes. What makes it even worse this version is that each episode is watermarked on the intro to say what part of the box set you're watching despite the VHS sleeve the stamping where the long skinny label would go & where the tiny fat label would go.
Back in the 90s I knew someone who did that with all the Star Trek series, buying each VHS tape the day it was released. Each tape had two episodes and IIRC was released a few weeks before the episodes aired on TV.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,717
When leaving a tip (or not) for services rendered e.g. in an eating place, hotel etc. was usually entirely a matter for the customer and not something which would automatically be incorporated or suggested within the billing arrangements. Also when free access public buildings e.g. museums, galleries etc. did not specify a "recommended minimum donation amount" on their donation receptacles.
 
Last edited:

uglymonkey

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
708
I had a coffee in a shop in Greenwich today, take away. something like £3.70?. I bished my card on the usual contactless machine, stood back and waited for it to arrive. I was amazed to see in the middle of the counter a upright " tipping machine" with a screen and a big £4 shown in the middle of it. Only when I looked closer was there a much smaller option to alter the amount. Amazing. Not only £4 was seen to be a fair amount to tip when setting up , but even if you wanted to faff about with it to change the amount and swipe your card again, it would seem to be counterproductive. I would put a few coins in a bowl ( or box) for good service, but be put off having a "£4" in your face and having to fiddle with it to change the amount, as I'm sure a lot of other people would as well. So less tips given for the shop for over complicating things ?
 

TheTTTEGeek

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2024
Messages
53
Location
Canada
Calling the restaurant for delivery instead of using a website/app that lists each one in your area you can order from
 

52290

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2015
Messages
731
Calling the restaurant for delivery instead of using a website/app that lists each one in your area you can order from
You can ring my local Chinese takeaway and order your food but you have to collect it yourself, no deliveries. Also they only accept cash, no cards. They do a roaring trade!
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,952
Location
Gwynedd
Calling the restaurant for delivery instead of using a website/app that lists each one in your area you can order from
Our local Chinese takeaway only takes orders by phone or in-person. They have their own driver, who I'm confident has business insurance on their motor and pays a significant sum in income tax.

The food is great.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,952
Location
Gwynedd
Switch cards cropped up today. Must have been mentioned before.
I worked in a card payment processor for a few years. In my first week I was given the history of Diner's Club cards, believed by many to be the first (depending on your definition I guess) credit cards (charge cards, strictly).

I've never seen one in real life though, and we didn't process their payments, even though they're still going.

I remember having a Maestro card though, which was Switch behind the scenes. Maestro still exists and is popular in parts of mainland Europe. I'm not sure of any UK card issuers using Maestro now though.

I'm trying to remember if I had a Solo card at some point or not as well.
 

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
Maestro became MasterCard Debit and most banks in Europe have changed to this now or are in the process of.

Switch became Maestro in the UK when Switch became more difficult to process in Europe on the Cirrus network (also owned by MasterCard).

Solo was a version of Switch for those who had bad credit or it was a more basic account and, like Visa Electron, requires the transaction to be authorised electronically at the till. Solo couldn't be used for fallback transactions using the old card roller (clunk-click) machines with the carbon imprinter.

In Ireland there was Laser as a debit card but this was superceded by Visa Debit, Visa Electron or MasterCard Debit depending on the bank.

Most Switch and Laser cards were also cheque guarantee cards. Solo and Visa Electron weren't. Visa Electron has been supercceded also by a version of Visa Debit for those with lower credit scores.

Eurocard and Eurocheque became part of the MasterCard network as well and JCB was incorporated into both MasterCard and Visa depending on the country.

Visa Cash was trialled in Leeds for a while which was the first chip card but could only be used in specific shops using the chip technology or to withdraw small cash amounts at some retailers or on special ATMs. The trial was a failure and wasn't launched in the UK but think the USA and Europe did run it for a while.
 

Top