Merle Haggard
Established Member
The term "Robin Reliant" is very irritating. You wouldn't go around saying that you drive a "Mondeo Ford"
It's funny that the topic of three-wheelers has come up. I had a video about the Bond Minicar pop up in my YouTube feed the other day. Staying on the same theme, who remembers the Invacar? I used to see quite a few of them around when I was visiting grandparents, although I don't recall seeing many around here. You could have any colour you wanted, as long as it was "Ministry Blue"!
![]()
Image credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buch-t CC BY-SA 3.0 de
Invacars were made in Watford and were distributed by rail, loaded on Lowfits.
In the days before TOPS it was part of my job in FRS distribution to order a Lowfit when an Invacar was to be despatched. There would be advice that a Lowfit was being released at some distant terminal and had been labelled to Watford Jct.. It usually took a few tries before one actually arrived, though. Lowfits were comparatively few in number and in high demand and one had suspicions that a transit location had been tempted to highjack ours to fulfil their own requirements.
The number of cars produced seemed to be very low; just a few a month, from what I remember. Perhaps they were hand built.
