My idea so far is to get returns from Thetford to Crianlarich which comes in at £135 per person (without Railcard). I'd then need to get them a single from Crianlarich to Oban (£10.30) to complete the outward journey
But Thetford-Oban is £142.00 which is less than £135.00+ £10.30! So no need to 'split' at Crianlarich as that increases the cost! The return would then be started 'short' at Crianlarich.
Is it possible to split the journey somehow or use a cheaper route?
The tickets you quote are "Not London" and are valid via a wide range of routes, such as via York or Settle or Manchester. Probably fine via Nuneaton or even Birmingham but you'd need to check. Worth bearing in mind if they wish to visit friends or relatives en-route.
As for cheaper tickets, firstly it is worth considering whether you can benefit from the 'Club 55' deal. Someone else can advise on the details of that, so keep an eye out for a reply on that possibility.
Failing that, the savings by holding a Senior Railcard (34% off) will pay for the railcard with this trip alone, therefore I suggest buying one, and all the fares quoted below are
with a Railcard discount.
Rather than have the flexibility of an 'Off Peak' fare (which can be bought on the day, from the ticket office or on board the train if the ticket office is closed; it's a "walk on" fare) you may wish to purchase
Advance tickets, which are much cheaper but are valid on a specific train and are non-refundable. (Like low-cost plane tickets)
Thetford - Glasgow Stations Advance Single £30.25* each
Thetford 1024
Peterborough 1125
Peterborough 1215
Edinburgh 1617
Edinburgh 1630
Glasgow QS 1721
Glasgow Stations - Oban Anytime Day Single £13.45 each
Glasgow QS 1821
Oban 2126
* Price is for travel on 10 June 2011, and is correct at time of writing but that fare will sell out at some point, and the price
will increase.
Fort William - Glasgow Stations Advance Single £8.00 each
Fort William 0742
Glasgow QS 1130
---or---
Fort William 1140
Glasgow QS 1530
Glasgow Stations - Thetford Advance Single £**
Glasgow QS 1245
Edinburgh 1335
Edinburgh 1400
Peterborough 1748
Peterborough 1845
Thetford 1947
--- or ---
Glasgow QS 1630
Edinburgh 1719
Edinburgh 1730
Peterborough 2119
Peterborough 2138
Thetford 2241
** Not yet available due to EMT not yet releasing their Advance tickets yet (see my problem below)
Alternatively both of these options (plus others) are available at £15.85 single each from Glasgow Stations to Peterborough (only). An additional ticket would need to be purchased from Peterborough to Thetford. I will check when these tickets go on sale and advise you when this occurs (I am hoping it will be soon!!!)
My advice would be to buy all tickets now, and wait for the Glasgow-Thetford tickets, you may be able to buy them later on today.
EMT are a pain. They don't release their Advance tickets as early as East Coast do, hence your problem, and mine!
EC have released dirt cheap tickets (about £6) York to Peterborough until 3 July, but I need to book tickets to Thetford. So it asks me for £6 to Peterborough or £100+ (for 2 people) to Thetford. It's only because I understand the system that I know what's happening. I have no idea when EMT will release tickets (though I hope they do on Friday), so I don't know if I am better off waiting for a through ticket (which will be cheaper at the lowest price) or if the EC cheap tickets will sell out before the EMT ones will go on sale.