• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

There's to be no standing on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbutton

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2013
Messages
461
If I purchased a 7 Day ticket and it was rejected on the first day I would want to know why. I couldn't conceive of going through the rigmarole every day of it being rejected at the gate. I have done on occasion asked for my season ticket to be reissued and there was never an issue. How this is the gateline staff fault is beyond me.

I can't say from experience, but from reading forum posts it would appear that barriers generally aren't programmed to accept rovers and rangers.

In my own experience, most barriers also won't accept a ticket that doesn't have that particular station as the origin, destination, or route (e.g. break of journey).

Many London barriers are programmed to reject all discounted tickets so that eligibility (e.g. child, railcard, etc) can be manually checked.

In all of these cases, it's the programming of the barrier that's at fault and I would be angry if the gateline staff were to give me grief because of it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
I can't say from experience, but from reading forum posts it would appear that barriers generally aren't programmed to accept rovers and rangers.

In my own experience, most barriers also won't accept a ticket that doesn't have that particular station as the origin, destination, or route (e.g. break of journey).

Many London barriers are programmed to reject all discounted tickets so that eligibility (e.g. child, railcard, etc) can be manually checked.

In all of these cases, it's the programming of the barrier that's at fault and I would be angry if the gateline staff were to give me grief because of it.


Many thanks Ian

I would certainly bring that as an issue to the TOC where my ticket would constantly get refused.

IF the gateline staff were 'giving me grief' then I would certainly take umbrage. Angry ? doubtful. It would be a case of the gateline not understanding that my ticket is refused by default by the barrier. That is a staff problem and should be highlighted.

My frustrations will be from the ystem not working but I still would not take it out on the staff or place blame on them unless they are clearly at fault.

Again, If I regularluy bought a ticket that was refused then I would speak to the TOC about any issues I was having.

Cheers for the information. Always good to be enlightened :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK fine, but what was the OP doing that was unsafe and how did their behaviour warrant the perceived rudeness from the member of staff from some on here?

I have no idea what the OP was doing. From what he posted the member of staff asked "are you all right, where are you travelling to ?" he also didnt suggest rudeness. The member of staff approached the OP. That is often a good way to prevent security risk. IF the platorm is intended to be clear at all times then challenging people is what they are supposed to do. Its not about doing something unsafe it is the prevention. I would say the staff member was being diligent.

I accept that staff have a responsibility for the safety of their environment but they also have a responsibility not to create situations that could evolve into something unsafe, or to find fault where there is none, or even to act in a demeanor that is inappropriate to the situation.

Anything that the platform staff did or didnt do is an assumption. Walking up to someone asking if they are ok doesnt create a situation. Is there a contravention of rules ? I have no idea. I have been at many stations where you are not allowed to be on the platforms unless boarding. They are always kept clear. What reason do you have to be there unless you are boarding a train ? Without being paranoid or tinfoil hattery. I like it that way.

Responsibilities are not just limited to maintaining safety. They are also about maintaining good customer relations.

100% agree.

Rudeness wasnt mentioned in the OP and there isnt an excuse for it. However; being challenged by staff is not them being rude. They are doing a job. As a passenger I need to be mindfull of my behaviour too.
 

Condor7

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2012
Messages
1,083
Location
Penrith
Part of the approach the rail industry is taking to reduce suicides? Especially as he first of all asked if you were okay. Many stations now are plastered with Samaritan posters and some staff have been given training to spot behaviour that lead cause for concern.



Just out of interest do most suicides happen at stations then?
I always assumed they were further up or down the line when trains were travelling at faster speeds.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
It strikes me that with this many comments, from a range of posters - local and tourist, long-time and infrequent posters - that there clearly is a problem specifically at Blackpool North which extends beyond some of the usual staff-passenger relationship problems. I can appreciate that it must be a difficult station to work at at times, but it's not the only station with those sort of challenges.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Part of the reason may be the fact that there is often someone there to clean and prep the train

At TPE managed terminus stations the platform displays show 'Preparing for service' prior to 'Boarding'. This includes sending someone through to collect up any left rubbish and switching the seat reservation tickets before passengers start to board.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm from Blackpool & always wondered why they require so many members of staff at the barriers looking important & doing nothing!

Is it a left over from before the ticket barriers were installed? Getting rid of the staff when you install automated barriers wouldn't go down well with unions.
 

Sheepy1209

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2011
Messages
204
In response to some of the comments about the type of passenger you see at Blackpool North - especially repeated use of that offensive word 'chav' - I disagree that Blackpool attracts the kind of passengers who make staff behave in that way.

Yes, there is drunkenness sometimes, mainly on incoming trains, but drunkenness is a problem on trains everywhere. In general passengers are just normal people, but what BPN doesn't get many of is commuters - unlike Poulton-le-Fylde and I suspect some of the stations in south Fylde. It gets a lot of groups, and by that I include families, and a fair number of people who don't regularly travel by train.

Personally I much prefer Blackpool North to the scrum on P14 at Manchester Piccadilly! At least once you're through the barriers there's plenty of space, it's safe and it's warm.
 

abbo1234

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2013
Messages
91
I agree,I travel through every weekend.Always pleasant and quite often as i travel from unmanned Euxton Balshaw Lane,the ticket issued on train never works in the barriers,I have to go through manually and it never is a problem and staff are always polite.
 

Hyphen

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
504
Location
Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
If I purchased a 7 Day ticket and it was rejected on the first day I would want to know why. I couldn't conceive of going through the rigmarole every day of it being rejected at the gate.

Funnily enough, I did ask on the first day - after it failed at Swansea (and Cardiff for my companion, who joined me on-the-move) and Paddington. I was told they don't put anything meaningful on the magstripe of the All-Line Rover, in case somebody decides to copy it and walks round with a ticket that would open any barrier in the UK...

(though I understand that's not actually true, and there's the odd gateline which does accept the ticket - but I didn't find any)
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
The best way to take photos at Blackpool North is probably when you arrive. Sit near the back of the train, walk to the rear when it stops and take photos quickly, before they have time to stop you.

Ha, try it!

The doors between the platform and concourse are locked on the heels of the last passenger through. If the staff don't see you walking the wrong way and taking pictures then you will most likely find yourself trapped on the platform side with no means of leaving the station save for banging loudly on the now locked doors and shouting to try and attract attention!

As for the barriers - had the same experience of putting my ticket in (an Advance from Blackpool North), the machine beeping and not opening the gates, I presented my ticket to the woman on gateline duty who had seen all this happen, she insisted on walking back to the barrier and making it fail again. Perhaps she thought I was simply too damn stupid to be able to put the ticket into the slot correctly, rather than there being a fault with the ticket, or more likely, the gates are very poorly programmed - my evidence being the number of people who have reported exactly the same problem.
 
Last edited:

northernman

Verified Rep - Northern
Joined
19 Jul 2012
Messages
139
Morning all, what a thread!

A few comments from me, in no particular order:

Staff attitude:
I have always found the staff to be very friendly, however I will raise this thread with the local manager as it does seem to be the common perception that they are less friendly. Not my experience at all, but lets look at that.

Rovers:
Rovers do not traditionally work in ticket gates. This is because the rover is encoded from and to the same national location code usually, the gate therefore throws a wobbly when it tries to verify if the break of journey is a valid one because it cannot understand why a ticket would be valid from and to the same place. Its an industry thing and I am trying to influence a change. I accept however that for a very popular product its not a great experience, hence our work on it.

Barriers:
I put the ticket gates in at Blackpool North. Whilst on the face of the comments on this thread suggests they are in the wrong place, let me give you the reasons for why they went into that particular location:

- Blackpool has had a long standing issue of crowd control (people departing the station, often worse for wear), therefore the local agreement to keep passengers on the concourse until train departure;
- Train preparation and tanking also takes place at this station, being a terminus. This often means that there are pipes and other such stuff on the platforms which people would trip over, hence the concourse doors locked policy;
- In the project visits pre gating I must be honest and say I was horrified that the station concourse was full of people who had no intention of travelling and would sit drinking, smoking, causing trouble, the station toilets were possible the worst I had ever encountered and from a travelling passengers point of view, as well as our own staff safety it was a pretty horrible place to be;
- Therefore the gates went in that location because:
1. It was the most sensible place to put them given that we still wanted to keep the majority of the concourse clear for people to wait until their train was ready;
2. It put the toilets on the 'paid side' to ensure that people who had no intention of travelling and just wanted somewhere to sit all day and cause trouble would have to find somewhere else to go;
3. From a pedestrian flow point of view, being a terminus the entire train disembarks so there would be short bursts of queuing which needed space, hence the gates put closer to the station entrance/exit;
4. The only major issue with the location was if people had gone through to the paid side and then wanted to use the shop on the unpaid side, we specially instructed our staff to be aware of this and allow people through;

Gate logic:
There is no national process for updating gates, so if a TOC introduces a new product we have to assess whether it is likely to go through a gate and update the logic accordingly, sometimes this gets missed and we do encourage our staff to notify us of any tickets being rejected so we can update the logic accordingly.

Regards
Ian Borthwick
Revenue Projects Manager
Northern Rail
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,827
Rovers:
Rovers do not traditionally work in ticket gates. This is because the rover is encoded from and to the same national location code usually, the gate therefore throws a wobbly when it tries to verify if the break of journey is a valid one because it cannot understand why a ticket would be valid from and to the same place. Its an industry thing and I am trying to influence a change. I accept however that for a very popular product its not a great experience, hence our work on it.
There is also the problem that almost all rovers have the same ticket type coding on the magstrip, so it is impossible to program gates to accept the right one(s) for the area concerned and reject those from elsewhere in the country. The decision is often taken that it is better to reject all rovers, rather than risk accepting invalid rovers.
 

Moonshot

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2013
Messages
3,806
As per usual, it takes a rail employee to make the valid points......

I was actually in Blackpool yesterday.....the barriers do exactly what they are supposed to do. From my observations , any tickets which failed were very efficiently dealt with by staff manning the barriers. I was also here the other week when Burnley were playing Blackpool - again the planning that goes into the throughput of large numbers of passengers was very evident. Absolutely no issue whatsoever....
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
Perhaps it is the attitude that rail staff are always right and passengers (by extension) are always wrong, and that there is absolutely no problem whatsoever that is part of the 'problem' in the first place.....
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,827
Perhaps it is the attitude that rail staff are always right and passengers (by extension) are always wrong, and that there is absolutely no problem whatsoever that is part of the 'problem' in the first place.....
I'm not sure you can read anything like that into northernman's post.
 

boing_uk

Member
Joined
18 May 2009
Messages
619
Location
Blackburn
The only issues I ever had at BPN as a daily commuter were other passengers and the resident pigeons.

The arrangements for keeping the platforms clear seemed odd at first, but entirely sensible given the types and numbers of passenger they get and of course servicing the trains in-platform.

More seating would be appreciated of course.

My only gripe with the place, like many of the stations around Lancs is the platform lighting burning well in to the mid-morning. I know it is in the North, but it is still generally daylight by 10:30am!
 
Last edited:

hounddog

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2014
Messages
276
There is also the problem that almost all rovers have the same ticket type coding on the magstrip, so it is impossible to program gates to accept the right one(s) for the area concerned and reject those from elsewhere in the country. The decision is often taken that it is better to reject all rovers, rather than risk accepting invalid rovers.

That is surely an excuse, pure and simple. Supermarkets manage to put a unique barcode on every product. There's no reason for the rail industry not to do the same with tickets.
 

rf_ioliver

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
1,028
That is surely an excuse, pure and simple. Supermarkets manage to put a unique barcode on every product. There's no reason for the rail industry not to do the same with tickets.

Barcodes in supermarkets denote a product not an individual item. AFAIR, UK ticket have a unique serial number on them anyway?

t.

Ian
 

hounddog

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2014
Messages
276
Barcodes in supermarkets denote a product not an individual item. AFAIR, UK ticket have a unique serial number on them anyway?

t.

Ian

Not sure of your point. I wrote 'product' not 'item' for a reason. There is no reason in my mind why every rail 'product' should not also have a unique code.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
WARNING A non industry person coming up with apparantly simple solutions!

It's slightly off thread but surely rovers / rangers could be given individual codes and machines programmed to accept the codes for rovers / rangers valid at that station? Rather than having to work out origin / destination / route.

For example, a Freedom of the North West could be FONW (as appears on the ticket despite it being advertised as a North West Rover!). The barrier reads FONW, its knows that rover is valid at that station. The end date of the rover is encoded, the barrier knows that date has not yet passed.

Obvious problems - 4 in 8 rovers (and similar self dated) and the All-line Rover as mentioned up thread as it would be a free ticket forever if the code could be replicated (then again credit cards can be replicated - it's a criminal act as is fraudulant travel).

I have no particular objection to the location of the barriers at Blackpool, save that it is difficult to carry luggage, hot tea and insert your ticket through the machine. People behind tend not to expect a delay whilst you put things down and pick them up again. Then again the same issue applies to a manned barrier and to any other location.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,827
WARNING A non industry person coming up with apparantly simple solutions!

It's slightly off thread but surely rovers / rangers could be given individual codes and machines programmed to accept the codes for rovers / rangers valid at that station? Rather than having to work out origin / destination / route.

For example, a Freedom of the North West could be FONW (as appears on the ticket despite it being advertised as a North West Rover!). The barrier reads FONW, its knows that rover is valid at that station. The end date of the rover is encoded, the barrier knows that date has not yet passed.

Obvious problems - 4 in 8 rovers (and similar self dated) and the All-line Rover as mentioned up thread as it would be a free ticket forever if the code could be replicated (then again credit cards can be replicated - it's a criminal act as is fraudulant travel).

I have no particular objection to the location of the barriers at Blackpool, save that it is difficult to carry luggage, hot tea and insert your ticket through the machine. People behind tend not to expect a delay whilst you put things down and pick them up again. Then again the same issue applies to a manned barrier and to any other location.
Ignorance is bliss! Unfortunately, the ticket type only has two available characters on the mag strip, and those two characters have to be shared between hundred of different ticket types. And it isn't 26x26 to get the numbers as there are always some that can't be used for one reason or another. With the number of different advance tickets in circulation as well as walk-ups that doesn't leave much space.
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
I'm not sure you can read anything like that into northernman's post.

I wasn't doing! It was more of a reflection on Moonshot's post immediately prior to mine: but having re-read said post I think I misunderstood the point he was making anyway! :)
 

Moonshot

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2013
Messages
3,806
I wasn't doing! It was more of a reflection on Moonshot's post immediately prior to mine: but having re-read said post I think I misunderstood the point he was making anyway! :)

Yes Darren I think u have......but in any event ( and I m not having a go at anyone here ) I tend to see a lot of posts from rail enthusiasts on here who seem to be complaining about what they percieve as an issue, but in actual fact has genuine reasons for such a situation to arise in the first place. To give an example other than the one quoted in this thread, sometime ago myself and a couple of other forumites got involved in a rather heated debate with a rail enthusiast who had damaged the barriers at Leeds - the short version of his reasoning was that they shouldnt be glass. What the idiot hadnt realised through his ignorance was that the safety case for installing those barriers was made on the basis of glass as a material as part of a " wrong side " failure mechanism in case of fire in the station.....
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
In all fairness, when my ticket was rejected, there was no delay in getting the staff to let me through. I rather suspect the problem may have been the ticket encoding, as I have come across similar issues before. I mean, if the barriers aren't accepting AP's to that actual place, then there is a fundamental issue, but I can't be sure that they weren't badly encoded
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
In all fairness, when my ticket was rejected, there was no delay in getting the staff to let me through. I rather suspect the problem may have been the ticket encoding, as I have come across similar issues before. I mean, if the barriers aren't accepting AP's to that actual place, then there is a fundamental issue, but I can't be sure that they weren't badly encoded

With APs (and indeed various other tickets/discounts) they sometimes set barriers to always reject them so they can be manually checked for date/time/discount entitlement etc. by staff. I've had that happen at London Victoria when starting on an AP (although it might be a red herring in this case as it also had a YP discount, another type of ticket rejected there).
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
With APs (and indeed various other tickets/discounts) they sometimes set barriers to always reject them so they can be manually checked for date/time/discount entitlement etc. by staff. I've had that happen at London Victoria when starting on an AP (although it might be a red herring in this case as it also had a YP discount, another type of ticket rejected there).

Well, that's an excellent way to treat customers!

Inconvenience them by making them perform what ought to be a simple task twice - first to a ticket barrier then to a wandering operative who may or may not be stood where he should be, may or may not be gassing with colleagues and be generally uninterested in the needs of the passenger and who may or may not already have a queue of similarly refused travellers.

If so many ticket types are set to require manual checking, sufficient manual checking staff should be provided to avoid further delay to the passenger.

Further, passengers holding those tickets which they know will be rejected by the barriers should be allowed to go straight to the manual check rather than being forced to prove what they already know.
 

ECML180

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
518
Location
Doncaster
I tend to see a lot of posts from rail enthusiasts on here who seem to be complaining about what they percieve as an issue

Perceiving is believing! In the eyes of the industry or an ignorant bystander it may be reasonable to check tickets in this way, but to the bloke who has just queued for 5 minutes to have his ticket rejected and then find that the gateline attendant has wandered off, is this good service? Nope! Even if the industry finds something reasonable, it's the customer who matters, if they don't like it then they'll cease to be customers.

If so many ticket types are set to require manual checking, sufficient manual checking staff should be provided to avoid further delay to the passenger.

Quite right, it irritates me no end that on a staffed station (Loughborough) I have to show my failed ticket (young persons rail card discount) to a yellow box on the wall which will telephone someone miles away when there's 2 people in the ticket office, 2 dispatchers and a gateline attendant (rarely at the gateline).
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
People who wander to the end of the platforms may arouse a suspicion of wanting to trespass or worse, commit suicide. Admittedly it is less likely in a terminus station but by no means unheard of. The railway now has initiatives and training to spot this kind of behaviour. 99 times out of 100 it's not necessary, but one time it might save a life.

But in reality, they probably aren't. Sadly this sort of officious authoritarianism seems to have become progressively more common since around 2000 (and perhaps even since the early nineties to a degree), there seems to be an assumption that people are doing something wrong rather than an innocent explanation.

Thankfully I haven't had this sort of harassment on the railways, though one evening in February I was running to a friend's house (as I was late) and got stopped by a policeman for "acting suspiciously". I've had the same thing sitting down looking at a view on a public footpath near someone's house, though by some local resident rather than the police. Seems there is a growing tendency for anyone who behaves in a way slightly different to a narrow view of what is "normal" to be labelled a potential criminal.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top