• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Wrekin Giant. Titled train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor7

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2012
Messages
1,083
Location
Penrith
I just noticed a small reference (almost unnoticed) in the latest Railway Magazine that Virgin have decided to name the new service from Shrewsbury to London, namely The Wrekin Giant.

I always believed from the outset Virgin have always resisted using titled trains, so is this more significant than the brief 'Sidelines' mention would indicate?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eisenach

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2014
Messages
189
Location
Leominster
The used to be a construction company called "Wrekin Construction". With all the road congestion they caused, I always thought it was a most appropriate name. :D
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
I just noticed a small reference (almost unnoticed) in the latest Railway Magazine that Virgin have decided to name the new service from Shrewsbury to London, namely The Wrekin Giant.

I always believed from the outset Virgin have always resisted using titled trains, so is this more significant than the brief 'Sidelines' mention would indicate?

Probably as this has been a long time and hard fought thing to try and get this VT service to Shrewsbury so a little bit of marketing would go down nicely.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
According to one folktale, the Wrekin Giant hated the Mayor of Shrewsbury and the good folks there, so he set out with a large shovelful of earth to dam the River Severn, thus flooding the town and sending its inhabitants to a watery death.

But, try as he might, he couldn't find Shrewsbury, and, tiring under his load, dumped the whole lot in the countryside [thus forming the Wrekin], and returned home to Wales, never being seen in the Shrewsbury vicinity again.

I do wonder if this is quite the right thing to call the eagerly-awaited train service.
 

59CosG95

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2013
Messages
6,864
Location
Beeston (Notts)
According to one folktale, the Wrekin Giant hated the Mayor of Shrewsbury and the good folks there, so he set out with a large shovelful of earth to dam the River Severn, thus flooding the town and sending its inhabitants to a watery death.

But, try as he might, he couldn't find Shrewsbury, and, tiring under his load, dumped the whole lot in the countryside [thus forming the Wrekin], and returned home to Wales, never being seen in the Shrewsbury vicinity again.

I do wonder if this is quite the right thing to call the eagerly-awaited train service.

Taking 67012's nameplate "A Shropshire Lad" and applying it to this service might be more appropriate.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
According to one folktale, the Wrekin Giant hated the Mayor of Shrewsbury and the good folks there, so he set out with a large shovelful of earth to dam the River Severn, thus flooding the town and sending its inhabitants to a watery death.

But, try as he might, he couldn't find Shrewsbury, and, tiring under his load, dumped the whole lot in the countryside [thus forming the Wrekin], and returned home to Wales, never being seen in the Shrewsbury vicinity again.

I do wonder if this is quite the right thing to call the eagerly-awaited train service.

Lies! At least some differences to the version I know (as a Shropshire Lad)! ;) Almost the same but the version I know it that the giant rested and slept and became the Wrekin and his bag of rocks is The Ercall.
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
If you google "Wrekin Giant" then the first link is a Wikipedia link to an old Shropshire-based American Football team :D
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,431
Lies! At least some differences to the version I know (as a Shropshire Lad)! ;) Almost the same but the version I know it that the giant rested and slept and became the Wrekin and his bag of rocks is The Ercall.

As a fellow Salopian, with a Salopian father, that is the version I heard too...

I dont think the MP for the Wrekin will be on Shrewsbury Station to welcome the service after todays unfortunate news about him.

He would more likely have been on Wellington station... but..

Doubtless the MP for the other half of Telford and Wrekin will be at Telford Central...
 
Last edited:

pablo

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
606
Location
53N 3W The blue planet
The used to be a construction company called "Wrekin Construction". With all the road congestion they caused, I always thought it was a most appropriate name. :D

Funnily, I did a few month's procurement for them over ten years ago and it was for NR's rail refuelling depots all over the place.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top