• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The very last direct services. When were they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
968
Location
LONDON NW10
I realize that the very last ever departure from London King's Cross to
(a) Grimsby/Cleethorpes via the East Lincolnshire Line
(b) Grimsby/Cleethorpes by the post-1970 route
were not major events in British Rail history, but were they marked in any way and is there anything on the web. I have looked but cannot find anything, but maybe genuine enthusiasts know historical type sites that I don't.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furryfeet

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2008
Messages
449
This is a link to a web site with pictures of
a) East Lincs line in the week prior to closure in Oct 1970
b) the last trains on the Louth freight stub in Dec 1980

I know these are not the last passenger trains from Kings Cross to Grimsby via the East Lincs, which I believe ran on Sun 04 Oct 1970, but it will give you a start.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.enefer/lincs/lincs.htm
 

Quakers Yard

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2013
Messages
217
Location
Edwardsville
I remember being in Kilmarnock years ago and Kings Cross was listed on an old sign as a destination. This was in the days when the place had an old-style cafe that was also licensed.
The London platform was the opposite side nearer the distillery but when did that service stop and what type of service was it eg sleeper?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I
 
Last edited:

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
I think Cleethorpes last received a train from Kings Cross, 20/21 years ago (1992/1993). I remember an article in the Grimsby Telegraph in the last year or so about it being 20 years.
(Not like they payed much attention to the 150th anniversary of Cleethorpes station back in April)

Thanks, Sam
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top