• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
You made the Borderlands sound so easy. Nice work on the shacks, some rather dubious signaling decisions and anoying farses making me very glad indeed that when I use the Chiltons as a cheep way North on Tuesday that Iv given myself an hour at Crewe before the final long haul Home.

RIP SWT.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
You made the Borderlands sound so easy. Nice work on the shacks, some rather dubious signaling decisions and anoying farses making me very glad indeed that when I use the Chiltons as a cheep way North on Tuesday that Iv given myself an hour at Crewe before the final long haul Home.

RIP SWT.

Compared to some lines it is quite easy, hourly served, no request stops (apart from Hawarden Bridge). I was leaving it until the end (at one stage of my master plan, Chirk was going to be 2563)

I hope you booked yourself onto a 68 hauled set rather than a Turbostar ;)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
He is indeed booked on a 68, I know what he's booked on as I booked the tickets for him ;)

You do indeed make the Borderlands line look easy, I sure wouldn't get them all in one day but that's fine by me. Nice work on clearing the line though, I really must make an effort to get up there and do them myself.

The GWR livery really does look good on the 143s, makes them look halfway acceptable!

I still think your plan for this weekend is ambitious. I think when you see the sort of roads I was telling you about you'll understand. All I can say for sure is ensure you've packed plenty of supplies, you won't find anything at all near some of the shacks you're going after! If you make it back in one piece I'll be shocked...
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
19/8 – Onwards to the Borders
An enjoyable day, although my attempt at alighting at Lympstone Commando was foiled by the station being closed due to the camp being on summer leave, a task for my next Devonshire trip probably in September time.

Next weekend is a crazy trip to conquest the Heart of Wales line, maybe it will see the return of an old friend ;)

Can't believe they actually locked Lympstone Commando!
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
He is indeed booked on a 68, I know what he's booked on as I booked the tickets for him ;)

You do indeed make the Borderlands line look easy, I sure wouldn't get them all in one day but that's fine by me. Nice work on clearing the line though, I really must make an effort to get up there and do them myself.

The GWR livery really does look good on the 143s, makes them look halfway acceptable!

I still think your plan for this weekend is ambitious. I think when you see the sort of roads I was telling you about you'll understand. All I can say for sure is ensure you've packed plenty of supplies, you won't find anything at all near some of the shacks you're going after! If you make it back in one piece I'll be shocked...

I've not seen your plan Kite, but Tech is right! I'm not too far from conquering the HoW myself now either...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
My supply mountain is building up nicely, as I agree some of those stations look to be in the middle of nowhere.

Although I am looking forward to have a nice lazy weekend on the 2nd September having a good tram hunting session in Manchester, focusing solely on trams
 
Last edited:

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
My supply mountain is building up nicely, as I agree some of those stations look to be in the middle of nowhere.

Although I am looking forward to have a nice lazy weekend on the 2nd September having a good tram hunting session in Manchester, focusing solely on trams

That's because they *ARE* in the middle of nowhere!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Another lazy weekend coming up on the 16th etc for you too with some major milage moves but lots of fun too.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
That's why I did the Heart of Wales during the last week of July, so as to make use of the additional Builth Road - Cardiff Central via Swansea District Railway train that is laid on for the Royal Welsh Show.

Of note, the stations I have yet to score on the HoW is mainly the London & North Western Railway section i.e. everything between Broome and Llanwrtyd Wells.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
My personal guess for Kite's shack score number 2,500 is Sugar Loaf. Should he ever get over this way...;)

Funny how things work out, only noticed that I was on 2487 after last weekend's trip to the Borderlands line, so a quick rejig of the order I would be doing the HoW shacks meant your prediction turned out correct :lol:

(In my original plan I had Sugar Loaf down as being on the Saturday making use of the crossover of services at Llanwrtyd to make it a +15 or so)

Another early start tomorrow to make use of the Llandovery short working before heading to the northern part of the line
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Anyhow I think I have found a genuine use for my gold card season ticket from Lapworth to Hatton.

I was playing around with BR fares yesterday looking up prices for off-peak returns for October time and discovered that Oxford - Hatton was the same price as to Leamington, and Lapworth - Shrewsbury was a couple quid cheaper than a Leamington - Shrewsbury (off peak return).

I'm pretty sure using that mix of tickets will be valid on the Chiltern services which don't call at Lapworth due to using a season ticket. :lol:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
25th August – Onwards! to the Heart of the Wells

Ah the Heart of Wales line, with its 4 (and a bit) services a day, many tiny remote request stops, what could go wrong? I worked out a rough plan back in May time, which got chopped & changed in the last couple weeks, doing some swaps for the Saturday as I wanted station number 2500 to be something rather Loafy. I had booked myself a room in the Southmead Guesthouse in Llanelli for the long weekend (Friday to Monday Night) with the theory of being able to use the weekday early morning Carmarthen – Llandovery service (OK mainly price came into play as Swansea is quite expensive if you want anything remotely need the station on August bank holiday weekend!).

I had my highly ambitious plan at hand; I had many packets of crisps in my bag (along with other supplies), my red pen was once more having a nice weekend at home, so with finishing work at a decent time I shall begin with day 0.

Day 0 – Positioning move

A gentle walk to Grateley station for the retimed 14:58 to Salisbury (would continue onwards to Yeovil Pen Mill), formed of 159011 for the near 11 mile trip westwards to Salisbury, it was a reasonable load from this service from Reading. Once at Salisbury I had around 25 or so minutes to wait, picking up a bottle of free SWR branded water, I took a seat watching as a trio of 158s rolled in to attach to a 159 from Exeter to form the 15:24-ish departure (judging by the screens it was meant to be a 158-158-159 attaching as the PIS was saying “formed of 10 carriages”).

Due to some strange reason I couldn’t get seat reservations for my trips to/from Cardiff, however when 158961 rolled in from Portsmouth I managed to find a table seat (had no reservation labels anyhow!) sadly the AC had failed so it was quite warm, made worst after Bath when the unit was full & standing (at least in the front carriage, no idea about the rear two carriages), a large flow of passengers at Bristol, but left the station even more crowded than before, the crowding that that bad that a disabled person got left behind at Filton Abbey Wood because there was no way they would have fitted onto the train.

Anyhow, normally the order of services from Newport towards Cardiff meant the 158 from Portsmouth was 5 minutes in front of a Swansea HST and 10 (or so) minutes in front of a West Wales bound 175, but not tonight as due to the Bristol Parkway works, the Swansea HST goes in front and the West Wales 175 goes in front of that. I dread to think how crowded the 17:45 Cardiff – Milford Haven service would have been. Anyhow the 158 rolled into Cardiff a couple minutes late, unusually arriving into platform 2 from the east, so a short walk over to platform 4 where the 18:06 Swansea stopping service was waiting, calling at pretty much all stations to Swansea (apart from Llanharan). A very vocal 150279 was doing the honours of this Swanline service, as it emptied out as time went by, reaching Swansea pretty much on time.

I had a short wait before the unit to form the 19:34 departure to Carmarthen rolled in, and was surprised to find it was 158820 (seeing as this unit works Pembroke Dock services during the day, so I was expecting to see a 150 or even a 153). Anyhow, I took a seat for the short run to Llanelli where after a short delay waiting for the member of staff at the hotel to return from Asda with some shopping I checked in, sorted out my bags and headed to sleep for it would be a rather early start (04:20 alarm!)

I shall leave you with this picture of 158885 sandwiched between 887 & 883 and a bottle of water (because what is more random than that?)
158885 at Salisbury A bottle of South Western Railway Water
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I'll enjoy reading of your Welsh exploits Kite. I thought about what could be more random than that bottle of water and started scanning the internet for things but then decided I'd better not... ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
I agonise in advance if I have misspelt any of the Welsh stations. I’m doing something different with this trip report, all my pictures are uploaded into this album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27666294@N02/albums/72157688397563945


26th August – Heart of Wales Day 1

Did I mention previously I had a stupidly early start this morning? Alarms set for 04:20 as I wanted to be on the 04:52 departure to Shrewsbury. Needless to say it was quite dark walking to the station, over the footbridge for a short wait before 150254 rolled in; one passenger alighted at Llanelli so I had a private 150 for the first half an hour (next passenger boarded at LLandelio) so it was a reasonable fast run (in terms of the Heart of Wales, calling at the stations for the guard to operate the level crossings etc).

My first point of call this morning was at Cilmeri, a station in the middle of nowhere (had some farm houses nearby, but not a lot else. Returning to the station for a short fester before flagging down low mileage 153327 with the same friendly guard (the crew swap over at Llandrindod). Slightly busier than the 150, but still rather empty, as I requested (or say “I’m sorry I’m not going to attempt to pronounce the name” before showing the guard the name of the station on my phone), Llandybie.

A nice large village/small town, a good selection of shops including a Co-Op located around a 5 minute walk from the basic platform. My original plan was to fester around for an hour and a bit, but decided to have a change of plan on noting a possible bus move to score a bonus shack. After visiting the Co-Op, I headed to the bus stop called “Toilets” for it was opposite some public toilets, a short 10 minute wait [as I had two options depending if the bus was on time] before a First “Cymru Clipper” service rolled in on route X13 to Swansea. Bus number 69382 if anybody was interested, for it had leather seats with little Welsh dragons:



The bus arrived a few minutes early so hung around the bus stop before departing right time, picking up some more passengers along the way to Ammanford bus station for a short layover before continuing via a couple more small villages before reaching the town of Pontarddulais, as I requested a stop near to the station, crossing over a river before heading down the road to reach the curved platform of Pontarddulais. A few other passengers were waiting for the 2nd northbound service of the day, which was running a couple minutes late as 150240 appeared, being flagged down for the next run northbound.

I decided to request Cynghordy, and the guard was a bit surprised as someone wanted that shack, as it is another one in the middle of nowhere (which I’m sure Mr Techniquest can confirm having spent a good 3 and a bit hours here). Some nice cushions in the little waiting shelter so after a few photos I took up a seat to read my newspaper (the 2nd north & 2nd south pass at Llanwrtyd which is just up the line [you might note I have missed a station out which is between Cynghordy & Llanwrtyd]. A nice peaceful place to stay but soon it was time to flag down the return of 150254 to go off-plan once more. My original plan had me bailing at Pantyffynnon for a walk via Tesco to Ammanford, but seeing as I was ahead of myself and I managed to get WiFi I noticed another potential bonus, with a potential of a bus move to cut out some walking (with a tight +2 to the Llanelli bus). Thankfully we were on time as I requested to call at Bynea, one of the two stations on this line which share the tracks with the Swansea District Line. One of the lesser used stations as apart from this time I stopped here once more during the weekend.

A quick photo was had, as I dashed across the road to the bus stop, noting the bus was running a minute or two late as bus 44615 working a route 110 (Swansea to Llanelli I believe) rolled in to take me up the road to a bus stop near the Pemberton Traffic Lights on the outskirts of Llanelli. Across the road and a short walk to the nearest bus stop sign for the next “L4” service which was running a few minutes late. Bus number 42612 appeared to take me along the road to Llangennech village itself, as I alighted at the “Old Bridge” pub, for a walk via an industrial estate to eventually reach Llangennech station, not the easiest station to find in all fairness. Nice views of the river opposite, with Harrington humps installed on the platform to make the gap smaller:



The 3rd northbound service today was the return of 153327, for it had made it to Cardiff and returned. A bit busier than before but once more I managed to get a reasonable seat requesting Garth. Nothing really to note about Garth station, located in an housing estate, as I set about on a fast walk along a hilly country lane, enjoying the sunshine to reach Llangammarch Wells station. A nice little waiting shelter as I enjoyed the company of a local who had lived in the village for many years, sadly at this point I noticed my little necklace had broken with a gem stone from Spain lost on route (boo).

150240 had returned from Shrewsbury for a short run back south to reach the signal box station of Pantyffynnon, disused platform on the opposite site from where it used to be double track, with the freight line branching off behind the station towards Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen. I set Google Maps up with directions to the nearby Tesco for something for dinner (and mainly something cold and wet), knowing I had plenty of time, enjoying the walk alongside the freight line [well a high fence]. After getting some supplies it was time for another walk towards the town centre and out of the other side to reach Ammanford station.

For the 3rd time of the day and for the last time it was onto 150240 to head back north as I bailed at Llanwrda, another station without much around. I took up a seat enjoying the late evening sunshine as darkness started to take over, noting this was shack number 2499, it was an enjoyable time before 153327 appeared on the final southbound service, quite busy until it emptied out around Ammanford, but this is where things went wrong after joining the main-line at Llanelli, we came to a stop. Looking at RTT a Carmarthen bound unit was sitting on the platform, doing an impression of 507023 (according to the guard it had a mild fire). So we reversed outside Llanelli station and headed to Swansea (which by this point I was tired and just wanted to crash in the bed).

175001 was working the next westbound service as I took a seat, waiting for the unknown unit to be moved, as the 175 departed only 10 minutes late to take me back to Llanelli, walking back to the guesthouse to crash out, thankfully it was a late start on the Sunday with the potential of a trip to Swansea seeing as I didn’t have to worry about catching a bus to Bynea.

To be continued :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
A cracking little day and great to hear the trend set by Techniquest and myself of riding local bus services when on bashing mitions is catching on. Pitty about the crispy 175, not helpful at that time of night!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Excellent. I don't know the area at all well but it looks interesting. I like the dragons on the bus seats.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
You had cushions at Cynghordy? You lucky soul, I didn't!

Very much up and down the line, but a good way of doing all those shacks. That incident right at the end of the day must have been more than frustrating!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
27th August – Heart of Wales, Day 2

Right where was I? Oh yeah having a nice lazy morning with breakfast in the guest house in Llanelli. My plan for this morning had changed (original plan had been for a bus move to Bynea, but as I managed to get that shack yesterday it meant I could head to Swansea on 150282 in order to walk to a nearby Tesco Express to grab some items for lunch (more as a “just in case the Co-Op at Llandeilo is closed”). The guard remembered me from yesterday and asked me which one today, which he made a note of.

Back onto 150282 for the fast run back out to Llanelli (after spotting a 150+158 combo on a Milford Haven service), reversing in the station to head back onto the Heart of Wales, nobody requested the first two stops, there was a close miss at Pontarddulais as a couple passengers were hiding in the shelter, the driver just noticed them before he accelerated away. The usual calls northbound with a moderate load (at least in my coach), the train started to climb as I followed the guard into the staff area behind the cab as the train came to a stop at shack 2500, Sugar Loaf.

The guard was surprised as there was 2 passengers waiting (plus a dog) as I said “see you in around 80 minutes” as the 150 pulled away. Right then Sugar Loaf station, tiny platform with some steps leading up to a busy road where there was bugger all around, seriously how on earth did this station avoid getting closed in the 1960s? A nice footpath on a bridge led me over the railway with a little waterway running alongside the bridge for a quick photo before I headed back to the tiny platform, noting a little bus shelter and had a read through the recently added visitors’ book (yes I did sign it). I took a seat on the brick wall; sadly with that road behind it wasn’t that peaceful to be able to “zen” out.



My time of isolation was soon ended with 150235 rolling in with 4 passengers alighting (looked like they were going hiking in the hills), 150235 joined 282 in the 10 mile club with the run back heading southbound, this was the only time I called at Sugar Loaf during this weekend, all the other times it was no requests (so odd that both times I requested the train it would have called there anyway!). Anyhow it wasn’t a long wait before I alighted at Ffairfach, waited for the train to clear the level crossing before heading for a little walk towards the small town of Llandeilo. Quite a few little shops, a lovely river crossing and a hill up towards the town centre (and then back down again), deciding that I had enough for supplies so I didn’t visit the Co-Op before reaching the passing loop station at Llandeilo.

The northbound platform had a little shelter but no seats (apart from a brick wall), so after my sandwich I headed off for a little walk to discover a lovely suspension bridge near to the station, to sit by the riverside for 10 minutes, sadly the angle of the sun meant attempts to get a photograph from the north side were washed out, but it was a peaceful place to waste some time before I recrossed the “Kings Bridge” and headed back along a little path to reach the station once more



For it was time for some Dog Box Thrash, with a reasonably loaded 153353 to take me back over the hills to reach the home of the World Bog Snorkelling Championships, Llanwrtyd Wells. A nicely maintained station, one of the passing loops on this line and on a weekday sees a couple services pass here (barrow crossing at the northern end, however seeing as crews change and the driver has to phone the signal box there is no need to rush). Due to the time of day I decided it wasn’t worth popping towards the town centre as nothing probably would have been open, so with an hour (and a bit), I took up a seat in the shade and carried on reading my book.

As expected the final train of the day was the return of 150282, which took me back to Llanelli, where my plans for an Indian for dinner didn’t work out as a promotion I saw on a menu leaflet in the hotel (meal for one) had been stopped (I even went back to the hotel to drop off my bag to double check I had the right place). So dinner was instead a meaty pizza which was quite alright, a quick shower before packing my bags for the following morning for it was another early start.

----------

28th August – Heart of Wales Day 3

The first train of the day from Llanelli towards the Heart of Wales was the 05:20 short service to Llandovery, which comes direct from Carmarthen, so unusually I was boarding a Heart of Wales service from the Swansea bound platform. This morning it was 150278 on the short service and unsurprisingly the service was empty heading north to terminate at Llandovery. I noticed the little garage next to the station was open which was visited to pick up something cold, a newspaper & a sausage roll.

Back onto 150278 to eat said sausage roll before the unit departed, as I requested my last stations on the southern part of the line, Llangadog. One of the stations on this line which is a request stop one direction, but a required stop the other due to a level crossing, nothing of note around Llangadog (other than some buses), so I took a seat in the nice waiting shelter for the 1st proper northbound service, which was formed of another 150 who wanted membership of the 800 chain club, 150250.

Making use of the onboard WiFi, I pulled up Google Maps with the route I was going to walk; the 1st of 3 walks today. The 150 was mostly empty, picking up more passengers as it went along, with a nice 20 minute wait at Llanwrtyd for a delayed southbound service (issues with signalling between Llandrindod & Knighton). Carrying on heading north onto a line I haven’t travelled on [north of Builth Road] since the August bank holiday weekend in 2014 so it was nice to recover the northern part. Anyhow I had requested for the train to pause at Knucklas. The station is on a hill overlooking the village and just after a lovely viaduct (which if I hadn’t planned to walk I probably would have gone to get a picture off).

Anyhow the 1st walk of the day was along the B4355 for around 2 and a half miles to reach the town of Knighton, pausing to make use of some public toilets. The walk itself is OK; you’ve got to keep your head on with several corners, to hear for traffic, I was glad when I reached the pavement section. Swinging via a Cost Cutter to purchase some items for lunch (a Spar is also available), before carrying on to walk into England, to reach Knighton station.

Tower in Knighton

A pretty little station, the northern most passing loop on the line, as I took up a seat after a couple photographs (remember all pictures are available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/27666294@N02/albums/72157688397563945 ) to await the next southbound service which was a busy 153353, as I had to make a decision which way round to do the two stations north of Llandrindod, in the end deciding to exit from the 153 at the very beautiful Dolau. The platform is awash with various colours from flowers, with a comfortable waiting shelter giving lots of history into this tiny little station (which hasn’t got a lot around it)

153353 at Dolau

Around 30 minutes later, a busy 153312 rolled in, not that many empty seats on this 153 as I headed back northbound, back into England, and getting ready for another walk as I alighted at Hopton Heath. Nothing much around the station (houses and some industrial units), but to avoid a walk back to Bucknell there does appear to be a bus move on weekdays (Arriva Bus route 740 bound for Knighton, departs “Green” at 13:17 for a 10 minute run, giving Adam an idea if he needs these two stations). Like before it was another gentle walk in the sun along the B4367, a few hills but they mostly balanced out, but another one to keep your ears open and switch sides of the road as required. Worth noting that it is about the same distance to walk to Bucknell as it is to Broome from Hopton Heath, with Bucknell having a little garage shop & pub.

Just over an hour later I reached Bucknell station, taking up a seat on a bench in the shade (for the sun had made an appearance), taking off my boots and shorts (fear not I had some leggings on which helps my legs when I do these crazy walks). It was peaceful waiting for the sound of the level crossing to sound to warn me of the approaching return of 153312 to take me back down the line, returning into Wales and to Pen-Y-Bont. Another station with evidence of a former 2nd platform and with not a lot around (apart from a busy sounding road), so with 95 minutes to fester, I took up a seat in the sunshine and relaxed.

The time flew by, as I soon gathered up my random thoughts and waited as 153353 returned from Swansea, to take me to the remote Llangynllo, where myself and two other gentlemen alighted (nobody boarded and this being the first time of the day the train called. A couple houses next to the station, but that is everything, the village is a good 2 miles away, down a little country lane, passing underneath Pye Corner bridge (suddenly I was back in Newport!). Turning onto the B4356 for another countryside B-road walk (unlike the other two walks this road was quiet), but the walk back uphill in the sun to reach the few houses next to Llanbister Road was hard going. I was glad when the totem pole was spotted, as like others there is nothing much around, the place of Llanbister being 5 miles distant.

But good news, the station is operated by Wales & Borders Trains
Old sign at Llanbister Road Station

I would add that these was the only time I’ve been on a train which called here, but the final move on Tuesday had the 153 calling at both these remote shacks for someone to board. Anyhow I was expecting 150250 to return, but in fact it was 150242 which did mean another member of the club (another unit only previously in the book on Cardiff leaps), and with darkness falling I made good use of the Wi-Fi heading back towards Llanelli, where it was a cheese burger & chips for dinner from the little takeaway because I was hungry.

I was quite happy that only one shack remains on the Heart of Wales, and that I had a later start on the Tuesday, so after packing up my stuff it was a nice sleep.

29th August – Heart of Wales Day 4

After checking out of the guest house, it was a walk via the Premier Foods shop to pick up something cold before heading to the station, crossing the footbridge at Llanelli for the last time in probably a fair while (as I need nothing in South/Mid Wales). The first service of the day this morning was another sub-10 mile unit, as 150241 made its first appearance into my haulage log for this report. Like yesterday this was a quiet unit on departure, picking up passengers as time went on.

The Llandovery service was passed at Llandeilo, and the first southbound service was passed at Llanwrtyd. I was staying on the unit until nearly the end of the line, my final Heart of Wales line shack. Entering England at Knighton and via Shropshire as I alighted at Broome. I couldn’t believe it, but the line had been done!

150241 departs Broome

If I remember correctly I had 45 minutes, worth noting there appears to be a bus move towards Craven Arms, but only runs on Mondays & Thursdays. Some industrial units around the station but not a lot else, so I took up a seat to read the newspaper I picked up earlier, noting that the weather this morning was the complete opposite, mainly being slightly wet (so I got very lucky with the weather being beautiful on Monday). Anyhow eventually I flagged down my final train on the Heart of Wales with 153312 taking me to Llandrindod Wells, back over the temporary speed restriction around Dolau. An on time arrival allows me 20 minutes to dash towards Tesco for some supplies before returning to the station for a busy 153303 to roll in from Swansea.

My original plan was to bail at Church Stretton, however the 153 was held at the junction with the main-line for around 10 minutes for a late running Holyhead service to pass, which meant the 153 was around 14 minutes late into Craven Arms. I decided to bail at Craven Arms instead of Church Stretton as the connection would have been a +1, so after kicking some smoking youngsters out of the waiting shelter (at least smoke out in the open), I took a seat and relaxed.

66502 at Craven Arms

Heading to Llanelli this afternoon was my old foe, 175003 (at least it will gain membership of the club), I managed to get a seat on the busy 175 which oddity didn’t call at Cwmbran. I was originally going to bail at Hereford to say “bonjour” to Mr Techniquest, but he was stuck at work due to a power failure (Asda forgot to put a 50p into the electric meter), so I remained on board all the way to Cardiff, where for the last few minutes dragged. Eventually Cardiff Central was reached, but I had no time other than to head towards platform 2 where 158959 was waiting working the next Portsmouth Harbour service, featuring working AC but both disabled toilets were locked out of use.

An uneventful run back, being put ahead of the HST doing a weave into the slows after Cardiff for a couple miles before weaving back over to the fasts (I was expecting to see the HST roar past us), the train getting extra busy at Bristol & Bath where it was standing down the aisles [when I went to the toilet, the rear coach still had empty seats!], lost a few minutes due to dwell times (A massive shame the DMU order got cancelled a few years ago, 4-car 172s with interiors of 168s would have been great for this route). Anyhow with one eye on the clock we rolled into Salisbury at 17:44 which would give me 3 minutes to get to whatever platform the 17:47 Waterloo was on, platform 2 so it must have been held at a reversing point (as I believe the unit which forms the 17:47 is the rear unit from the 15:50 Waterloo – Yeovil).

“We regret the 17:47 London Waterloo service has been cancelled due to a shortage of trains” (cue the guard & driver looking confused and quickly getting on their phones). Basically due to the overrun at Waterloo, services were all over the place, however a few minutes later the service was uncancelled with spare 159006 being kicked into life and arriving from the depot. As it rolled through the former platform 1 to reverse and return into platform 2, departing around 15 minutes late. Better than an hour delay (or even a 30 minute delay if control decided to put in additional stops into the 18:20), anyhow I made it home at a decent time to relax, unpack and make a start with my logs.

In summary, I was quite pleased my plans worked out, the Heart of Wales line has fallen, leaving just 49 stations left to board/alight at, the end is in sight. I will leave you a picture of a 153 departing a rural Powys station
153353 at Llangynllo
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Bringing some memories back there! I have just 3 shacks to get on the Heart of Wales line-which I hope to get my bottom to before the end of the year. Cynghordy, Llanrwda and Llandybie if you're wondering (and able to supply gen on?)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Bringing some memories back there! I have just 3 shacks to get on the Heart of Wales line-which I hope to get my bottom to before the end of the year. Cynghordy, Llanrwda and Llandybie if you're wondering (and able to supply gen on?)

Cynghordy - Nothing much around
Llanwrda - Think there is a shop in the village, 10 minutes walk from the station
Llandybie - Quite a bit of choice, a couple shops, a coffee shop/bakery, public toilets around 7 minutes from the station
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Congratulations Sir. Many of us on here making great strides in Wales this year and this is no acception. What you will do once all stations are cleared is beyond me, all public toilets accross the UK? Will if so you made a start this trip. Great report, cheers.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
August Passed Away Unnoticed – An overlook at August

With Waterloo being dug up, it was a good time to focus on Wales where most of my shack requirements were, and using the theory of booking accommodation in the area where you are ‘attacking’ is better than wasting time travelling to and from the area.

Anyhow the first weekend was quiet, the Saturday was a couple station revisits which I had previously visited before started to log my movements, a late start due to a family event the night before. The Sunday was a trip to London, mainly a nice run on HS1 to Broadstairs making the most of a £10 promo day return, picking up 2x 395s, plus a handful of LU stock, the only time of the month my red pen came out to play.

The first overnight bashing trip of the month was on the 11th to 13th August, where having got accommodation in Barmouth I set about visiting the Cambrian Coast, finishing Saturday night of with the line complete and a lovely walk along the Barmouth sea front from Llanaber. The Sunday was spent coming back home as it does take a fair while to come back to Hampshire from Barmouth!

The next weekend was bit of an odd-one, due to changing plans I was in Birmingham Friday night (nice little spin out to Redditch for some 323 thrash), so decided to attack the Borderlands line, plus finally getting Chirk & Ruabon into my book, along with a Flint sized bonus. The Sunday was a nice little trip to Devon, revisiting Exmouth & Paignton, sadly once more the 143s stayed away from me, but a gentle day and a warm welcome to South Western Railway.

The bank holiday weekend was spent on the Heart of Wales line, basing myself in a guest house in Llanelli I headed up on the Friday evening, before having a good time going backwards & forward, making use of buses on the Saturday, scoring shack number 2500 and walking around 10 miles on the Monday. The end result was another awkward line cleared, leaving 49 shacks to get.

Those 49 are broken down as:
1x GWR*
1x Northern*
29x ATW (Shrewsbury – Crewe locals and pretty much everything west of Flint)
18x Scotrail (All on the West Highland Line)

*I decided to change my classification of how I count shacks, so have to revisit British Steel Redcar & Lympstone Commando, this time alighting from a train.

August’s score on the doors

58 new stations boarded or alighted at (plus 2 revisited)
2.5 new units (2x 395s, 1x 168/3 as a 168)
4 new light rail units (2x 95 Stock, 1x 92 stock, 1x S7)
3250 miles travelled

OK, not the best of months for my red pen (already beaten those figures in the first weekend with a trip to London & Manchester!), however it was mainly spent in Wales getting shacks into my book.

Looking ahead to September sees a trip to Manchester (well yesterday) to have a good metrolink session, before a trip I first planned back in November last year, basically 6 days in Scotland, Oban branch on the 9th September, before heading towards Mallaig on the Monday, staying in a hostel in Banavie in order to focus on the Mallaig – Fort William section. A couple buses feature but hopefully Scotland will fall on the 13th September [with maybe even a trip behind the kettle if there is space!]
The following weekend is another trip to Scotland (hopefully lots of 92 mileage this month), heading up the Friday night on the sleeper to Edinburgh, for a hopeful walk across the Forth Road Bridge and a Mk4 drag from Carlisle to Newcastle. The Sunday is a probable trip to Bristol via Oxford Parkway with a HST diversion due to Reading wires going live. The “The Diamond Twenties” Railtour on the 23rd September with a late start (compared to other Pathfinder tours), followed up by a trip to Redcar on the 30th September.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Congratulations Sir. Many of us on here making great strides in Wales this year and this is no acception. What you will do once all stations are cleared is beyond me, all public toilets accross the UK? Will if so you made a start this trip. Great report, cheers.

What I will be doing after all the stations have been alighted or boarded from is having a rest for a while.

I can see myself dropping down to a regular Network Rail Card next year (if only for a couple months)

One of my regrets is not taking pictures in the early days
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Well done on clearing the Heart of Wales.

Do not beat yourself up about not taking pictures in the early days - there are probably a few people who may have thought that they regretted doing or not doing.

In my case, due to me moving address a few times when I first struck out on my own in 1995, I have tossed out a few things that I thought I would not have a need for again. One of those several things were old paperwork from my first spell of bashing trips between 1988 to 1994. Had I still retained that paperwork, I would have known which Sprinters, IC125 powercars, and loco hauled stuff at the very least to have declined when I resumed my bashing trips after a 20 year break.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top