• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I have never had an issue with the power box in those rooms to be honest.
Sounds like a lot of fun just doing some classic bits of track, had to laugh when 390128 turned up again!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
I have never had an issue with the power box in those rooms to be honest.
Sounds like a lot of fun just doing some classic bits of track, had to laugh when 390128 turned up again!

No doubt it will be taking me to Manchester on the 08:40 on the 2nd September (or being the 20:35 Euston service) :lol:

Aye, it was a nice relaxing day, no having to request tiny remote shacks, I could sit back and relax the slow ride.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always an excellent read, and many, many congratulations on 100% Cleared on Northern. You've made me and no doubt others considerably jealous of that!

Good to know that the walk from Settle to Giggleswick is not too long, I need both shacks so worth remembering :)
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
Many congratulations on clearing Northern!

I'll have you know that my Silecroft graffiti is perfectly spelled ;)

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
An overview of July

The month began with an early morning Manchester service with a trip to Lancaster picking up my final Lancashire station to visit (Wennington), swinging via Liverpool picking up my final 2 507s, with a bonus score of my final 175 in Manchester, a good day it was.

The Sunday was a quiet start, with just a trip to revisit Tackley (north of Oxford), this time arriving and departing by train (rather than arriving by foot and departing via a bus).

My plan for the weekend of the 8th July changed with the Northern strike shifting my plans, so after grabbing my last Sheffield tram (118) (before the new ones enter service), it was a quick trip to Retford and back to score the track from Retford High Level to the Sheffield line, the Saturday spent on Supertram before heading to Nottingham where after an hour tram 218 popped up to take me to Toton Lane, and back to the city centre for some HST action back to London.

I had my first experience of the GWR sleeper in the seats in the early hours of the 15th July, after grabbing 2 more 43s, 2 more 387s and a 1992 stock unit on the Friday doing a Thames Valley Rover. The seats are not as nice as on the Cally sleeper (I prefer airline seats as you get more legroom). A trip to Cornwall on the Saturday saw my plan go out of the window as a required 43 was spotted at Peznance to working an ECS move before doing a Par – Newquay service. I did manage a trip to Looe as well to get some 150 based action, with a trip back to Reading via the Hants & Berks line.

My only Railtour of the month was on the 16th July, a GBfR Charity Railtour, scoring a couple 66s from Stratford to Peterborough (plus the High Meads Loop), having my first 20 haulage on a round trip via Sheffield, before another 66 to Peterborough. The following week had a couple post-work trips to grab my final 2 GWR 43s to clear the passenger 43s, before some more 700s falling on an evening trip to London as a pre-trip move.

The big trip of July was a long weekend in the North, Friday was some more HST action to Sunderland, a detour to Nunthorpe to pick up my 2nd last Northern 156 before a good session on the Tyne & Wear Metro taking my requirements down to 3 sets. The Saturday was a trip over to the western fort, making a start with the Cumbrian coast, picking up a couple 37s for haulage, my final 153 and several shacks. The Sunday was spent on the Tyne Valley, before popping to Blackpool to pick up my final Blackpool tram before my last 390 took me back to Carlisle as an unexpected bonus.

The Monday was more station visits on the Coast, finishing the day completing my plan without any real issues, with Northern joining the 100% stations visited clearance club, leaving just 18 stations in Scotland, and 87 ATW stations (10 in England, 77 in Wales), the finishing line is starting to come in sight, just over that Welsh shaped mountain.

The last weekend of July was spent doing a London Friday, grabbing 4 more 387s, including having a fast run to Slough, a S7 plus another 700 before retiring for the night in the usual Easy Hotel in Croydon, for an early start on the Saturday, scoring my final Northern Unit by sheer luck that it was in Preston working a Carlisle service for a long run to Carlisle, detouring via Dumfries before heading down to Settle and across to Lancaster to finish my Freedom of the North West Rover in a bit of style.

Scores on the Doors

30 new stations visited (plus 2 revisited)
20 new units into my book (1x 153, 2x 156, 1x 175, 6x 387s, 1x 390, 2x 507s, 7x 700)
12 new locos (2x 20s, 2x 37s, 5x 43s, 3x 66s)
16 new “light rail” units (1x 92 Stock, 1x S7, 1x Sheffield, 1x Nottingham, 1x Blackpool, 11x Tyne & Wear Metro)
5861 miles covered

Looking ahead to August sees a trip on HS1 (fingers crossed I get some required 395s), and with Waterloo getting dug up, I’m turning my attention to ATW land, mainly the Cambrian Coast and Heart of Wales line, I doubt my red pen will be seeing that much use in August seeing as my current requirements are:
156s:
432; 458; 503

158707

321s:
303*, 304, 448*

332014*

334024 (Basically, I was doing an audit of sorts when transferring my ticks to my latest book, and where this unit was ticked off in my previous book I can't find any logs of it so must have been ticked by mistake)

387s: (including those not built/entered traffic)
140; 143; 144; 150; 154; 155; 156; 157; 158; 159; 160; 161; 162; 163; 164; 165; 166; 167; 168; 169; 170; 171; 172; 173; 174

395s:
001, 009, 012, 015, 020, 021, 022, 027, 028

483009

700s: (including those not built/ entered traffic)
001; 004; 006; 011; 012; 016; 019; 024; 032; 033; 034; 037; 040; 041; 042; 043; 044; 046; 047; 048; 049; 050; 051; 052; 053; 054; 055; 056; 057; 058; 059; 060

116; 117; 118; 119; 120; 121; 122; 123; 124; 125; 126; 127; 128; 129; 130; 131; 132; 133; 134; 135; 136; 137; 138; 139; 140; 141; 142; 143; 144; 145; 146; 147; 148; 149; 150; 151; 152; 153; 154; 155

LU

1973 Stock:
108; 167; 174; 218; 220; 221; 233; 854

1992 Stock:
91177; 92080

1995 Stock:
51530; 51557; 51647; 51648

S7s
21439/21440; 21547/21548*

Other ‘Light’ Rail

DLR:
39

Metrolink:
3013; 3024; 3037; 3061; 3063; 3069; 3083; 3103; 3115; 3116; 3119

Glasgow Subway:
122*; 125

Sheffield Supertram:
201*; 202*; 203*; 204*; 205*; 206*; 207*

Tyne & Wear Metro
4002*; 4018; 4043

Edinburgh Trams:
255

(* - As far as I'm aware, currently not in traffic)
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
Sounds like it was a pretty good month for you Kite! Plenty shacks, units and locos into the book!
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Finally caught up and finished Northern I see! My last shack (the first time I did it!) Was a bit better...
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Good luck in Wales, we all seam to be making huge inroad in the land of the Dragon this year with at least 5 of us getting lines, shacks and units, in fact O would go as far as to say that collectively Wales is more popular than Scotland this year!


Cheers as ever for sharing
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Many congratulations on clearing Northern!

I'll have you know that my Silecroft graffiti is perfectly spelled ;)

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Thanks Richard :)


Finally caught up and finished Northern I see! My last shack (the first time I did it!) Was a bit better...


Aye, Northern complete in both stations visited and units, with the bonus of not needing any of the incoming 319s or GWR 150s :)
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, a fantastic read as ever and well done on getting everything Northern out of the way.

Your wants list is equally impressive and shows your dedication week in, week out in getting out there grabbing the shacks and waving your red pen at any potential winners. You even put seasoned bashers such as myself to shame!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Shorter than any of the regular trip reporters I'd imagine!

77 ATW shacks is only 12 or 13 (can't be bothered to check) shacks behind me Kite, this concerns me as you may well end up clearing ATW before me. Not an acceptable state of affairs...

An excellent month for you there Kite, it must be said!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Shorter than any of the regular trip reporters I'd imagine!

77 ATW shacks is only 12 or 13 (can't be bothered to check) shacks behind me Kite, this concerns me as you may well end up clearing ATW before me. Not an acceptable state of affairs...

An excellent month for you there Kite, it must be said!

And I have a 2-night stay in a guest house in Barmouth coming up next weekend... ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
And I have already cleared the Heart of Wales...;)

And also Shrewsbury to Crewe :p

I've never called at any of those stations, first time was on a fast 175, then on a railtour, hopefully if next weekend goes without issues I can make a start using the 4th day of my North Wales rover
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Do remind me about that lot and I'll send you advice on what's around etc. Same applies for the Heart of Wales when you get to that lot, you'll discover walking and buses to be incredibly useful!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A highly successful time up north there. A massive congrats on clearing Northern for both shacks and units too. It won't be long before you've been to every station...
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
I bet your list of required RLU 700s is a lot shorter than mine though Keith ;)

The list is not as short as you might think.

Of the 46 RLU 700s delivered, I've had 34 of them with no less than three falling this week. There's six more out there in traffic so hopefully I can round those up in the coming few weeks (on the relatively few days that I am commuting that is) so leaving the final six to enter traffic. But my list does not include the 14 that are not even in the UK yet.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
And I have a 2-night stay in a guest house in Barmouth coming up next weekend... ;)

That should be ample time to clear the Cambrian coast. I reckon you need in the region of 22 shacks and a little bit of judicious walking/biking will cut down on the festers. For example, Abererch to Penychain (or vice versa) is definitely bike-able while the train goes to Phwheli. Probably walk-able too, depending on how long you have and there's the bus as well.

Looking forward to reading about your escapade once you are back in the land of the living.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
At the moment my plan only has 3 walks for the coast

Llandecwyn to Penrhyndeudraeth
Talybont to Dyffryn Ardudwy
Barmouth to Llanaber (on the Sunday morning)

Although depending if I can make my connection at Tywyn [which I believe is a barrow crossing]. Sadly no bike this time (and I haven't got any plans involving the bike as I think all my awkward once/twice a day stations have been visited)

The hardest part will be my attempts at trying to say some of the Welsh station names!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Might be a case of a paper TT and a point of the finger when asking the guard for request stops.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Or as we did when up there earlier this year, "Next stop please"

Actually not a bad piece of advice. The ATW crews are pretty good for understanding the needs of shack scorers, although it has to be said it's a lot easier to work out pronounciations on the Heart of Wales!

I suspect Kite will have an easier time with the Cambrian shacks than I will with trying to note the names of the shacks in Prague!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Or as we did when up there earlier this year, "Next stop please"

I've tried to avoid those tiny single shack leaps to reduce the risk of over carrying due to the guard not popping out (ATW is harder as the guard can use any of the 4 sets of doors compared to northern who tend to use the rear door)
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
I've tried to avoid those tiny single shack leaps to reduce the risk of over carrying due to the guard not popping out (ATW is harder as the guard can use any of the 4 sets of doors compared to northern who tend to use the rear door)

My experience on the Cambrian was that as soon as they saw you had a rover, they'd ask where you were headed in order to determine whether you wanted a request shack or not. Enjoy yourself though!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
5th August – A lazy Saturday revisit

Due to a family event on the Friday before, I had 2 options for the Saturday, either go down to Exeter to bag 57605 or stay local to revisit a couple shacks I visited before starting to log my trips, just to get them into my log file rather than in memories. Due to a late night and early start I decided to ditch Exeter as I wanted an early finish, so after getting a lift from the hotel to Romsey I purchased the first of my tickets from the ticket office, and headed under the subway to wait for the SWT service to Romsey (via Southampton).

With heavy delays to GWR services from a bridge strike in the Bath area, 158881 was busier than normal for the 8 mile trip to Southampton Central, where it looked like most of the train emptied out (some grumbles as the Southern 377 for Brighton departed pretty much straight away as it is timetabled to do so), but for me it was over the footbridge to platform 4 for a short wait before 220034 rolled in to take me swiftly onto Bournemouth (apart from the slight delay in arriving at Bournemouth due to a late running Weymouth service in front having detached the rear unit). Strange as it sounds I had never previously taken a XC from Redbridge Junction to Bournemouth, so completes a little bit more of the XC empire.

The 220 overtook a late running Poole stopping service at Brockenhurst, with 450085 eventually rolling in around 40 minutes late. A bit of confusion as the screens were showing Weymouth, but I took a seat for the short run passing the old viaduct to Bournemouth West (access is now only from the west facing curve) as I alighted at Branksome. My only previous visit here was around February 2013, all I can remember it was a day where SWT did a “Rainbow Day” promotion from Salisbury, with unlimited travel on the network for something like £10, and I went on a day trip to Weymouth, breaking my journey at Poole and at Branksome to visit a nearby Homebase.

Anyhow, less about history, with the delay to that Poole service meant I had roughly a 10 minute wait for 444041 to roll in from Weymouth, attaching to an empty 444007 at Bournemouth. I switched units at Bournemouth in order to get a better seat (unlike some of the normals who seemed to ignore the empty unit and board the portion from Weymouth). This was a fast service (the Weymouth services seem to switch at Bournemouth so a fast service to Bournemouth turns into a Weymouth stopper, with the semi-fast services to Bournemouth turn into a Semi-fast Weymouth service), so only called at Brockenhurst before I alighted at Southampton Central for a short wait before 158887 rolled in to take me round the loop to my 2nd station revisit of the day in the shape of Chandler’s Ford.

Chandler’s Ford featured a smiling flower-pot shaped like a steam engine pulling some wagons, and it is bad that I can’t remember the last time I visited, only that it was a day I went from Winchester to Romsey to do what I called “Charity Shop shopping” where I used to visit various charity shops in a given town (or city) for any music which looked interesting. I bailed at Chandler’s Ford coming back from Romsey to visit the local library (back when Hampshire libraries had a large selection of CDs) before heading back to Eastleigh then onto Winchester. I can only assume it was in 2012 or 2013 time but couldn’t pin-point it down to even a month, and this station has been bugging me, so felt nice to get it revisited once more.

I purchased my single to Grateley which for some reason NRE was quoting as valid going the long way round, so it was back onto 158887 when it returned from Romsey to go the long way round via Southampton to reach Salisbury, arrival was a couple minutes down, but meant I had roughly 25 minutes to dash out to Sainsburys to grab something for dinner before dashing back to the station to board the 15:47 Basingstoke service formed of 159102 to take me the near 11 miles to Grateley. A walk home via the new pavement on the railway bridge (looks like a decent job, one I might use come the winter time to avoid the road by the former pub). Some normal stuff followed; including a trip to the dump before attacking the hedge some more and cutting some grass.

I know I could have headed to Exeter to get that 57, but keeping an eye on my budget after a large expense last Saturday meant I ditched it. Only station left now on my list to revisit is Halling which was previously visited on a Railtour photo stop. Anyhow some pictures:
220034 at Bournemouth by Kite, on Flickr
450085 at Branksome by Kite, on Flickr
Branksome by Kite, on Flickr
158887 departing Chandlers Ford by Kite, on Flickr
Chandlers Ford Station by Kite, on Flickr
----------

6th August – The next trip report will be in 1 minute, it will be a service calling at all stations to Ealing Broadway

For the first time for a few months I was heading to London on a Sunday to have a LU hunt, with a detour to Broadstairs making use of an ultra dodgy ticket to get some 140 mph action via HS1 (OK I tell a lie, it was using the current South Eastern “Summer Days Out” £10 return ticket promotion). With thanks to Dstock7080 I learnt which diagram my 2nd last S7 was due to be working so it was a case of looking up the diagram in the working timetable to see where best to intercept it would be.

But first, it was a gentle walk to Grateley station, purchasing my travelcard to board an empty 159105 & 159006 which sadly soon filled up with football fans at Basingstoke, seriously it was just past 8:00 and they were on the cheap mass produced lager (this was the last service to reach London before the weekend super-off peak 09:30 – 11:30 restriction kicked in). I decided to bail at Clapham Junction, passing the barriers on the footbridge to reach platform 4 to grab a seat on 455730 & 455866 for the trip onwards to Waterloo, arriving into the rebuilt & reopened platform 22 (so a little micro-gricing of the new layout at International junction).

Waterloo International is impressive to say the lease, with a large concrete ramp to gain access to the concourse. I worked out that my 2nd last S7 (the last one being 21547/21548) was due heading towards Wimbledon at Embankment around 09:32 (so roughly 20 minutes time). I didn’t have long to wait around on the Northern line as the first northbound service which rolled in was required 51647/51648 to take me underneath the water to Embankment (one more pair of 95 stocks left). I minded the gap as I got off the train and headed upstairs to the westbound sub surface line platform, taking a seat and waiting out the 12 minutes before 21439/21440 rolled in.

My god it was quite busy, a lot of tourists (which I don’t mind as they help boost this country’s economy), I was originally going to stay on to South Kensington to catch a following Circle line service to Notting Hill Gate, but bailed at Westminster. Downstairs to the jubilee line with 96119/96120 taking me to Canada Water for a 7 minute wait before 378139 rolled in to take me to Shadwell. You can probably guess what is coming up next, and you would be correct as I went up in the lift and climbed the stairs to the DLR platform for the hunt of another 39.

Alas my luck had run out, no sign of it by the time the first spotted had started to return, so it was onto 83/71 to Poplar, spotting a couple units on the depot (thankfully neither were 39), jumping onto Stratford bound 67 & 68 to Langdon Park, mainly as a move to see what else was on the depot. 91/25 took me back to Poplar for a short wait before 124/141 took me back to Shadwell (for it was Tower Gateway bound) with 43/77/62 for the short run to Bank. Canning Town low level services would have to wait until I got back from Kent, as 51564/51563 took me onwards to Kings Cross St Pancras, where I exited London Underground and headed to the South Eastern platforms at St Pancras.

I had a couple options here, mainly based if anything required was spotted on a loop service, sadly both 395s were dud, so it was plan A with the Margate service. Winner 395020 was leading dud 395002, as I scored a decent table seat near the front of 020 for the speedy run on HS1 (can’t beat some 140 mph action), turning left after Ashford to go via Canterbury, the drop of speed was very noticeable as I alighted at Broadstairs (still a very beautiful line in places).

My plan meant I had roughly 30 minutes at Broadstairs, which is a pretty enough seaside town, not as down-market as Margate, a quick walk to the beach to overlook Viking Bay, swinging via Tesco to grab something to eat before returning to the station as 395002/395020 had departed back to London. However I was waiting for the “Folkestone West” train following a few minutes later, as expected it was dud 395008 to take me on the coast crawl via Sandwich & Deal, before getting up some speed over the rebuilt section of line between Dover & Folkestone (passing the remains of Folkestone East and the old Harbour branch).

I was a bit naughty and ‘broke’ my journey at Ashford for a 25 minute fester, listening to the noise Eurostars make when storming on the flyover (a 373 sounds better than 374s, if only for the loud motor noise from the end cars). I was rewarded with winner 395021 leading low mileage dud 395007 for the 50 mile dash to Stratford International, another 395 into my book (leaves 7 to go). I hung back at Stratford to see which 395 would roll in from Faversham, getting spooked out when a Eurostar ECS passed on the ramp to/from Temple Meads depot, you can hear it but can’t see it from the platform. Anyhow that 395 turned out to be dud so I exited the station and headed over the DLR station getting lucky and leapt straight onto 34/93 working the next service.

Onwards to Canning Town low level, the next two Stratford bound services were duds, so it was 5 options left. Alas 39 must have been sat on Beckton depot as it wasn’t on the Beckton short workings, nor the remaining services from Woolwich as 93/34 returned to take me back to Stratford, navigating the crowd control system to access the Central Line platform. My plan was to use the next westbound service as a bridge over to the other platform to access the subway and head out to Leyton. However the next westbound service was 91159/92426/92080/91135 so my plan to head to Leyton went out of the window with my 2nd last 92 stock taken on a short hop to Mile End where thankfully due to an extended dwell I managed to grab the ID of the leading unit (I wasn’t making notes of formations today).

An hour later, having missed a couple eastbound services due to bad timings with S7 movements and 91177 not being spotted I called it a day and jumped onto 21453/21454 to Embankment with 51613/51612 taking me back to Waterloo. I should try to remember that the 07:39 from Grateley to Waterloo forms the 19:15 Exeter service, but means extra mileage for 159006 and 159105 with 159015 joining in, gaining membership of Club 2K on route. Sadly it was a football special, with drunken racist songs being sung by the Arsenal fans, so time for some music, being thankful when it emptied out at Basingstoke.

25 minutes later, Ii arrived back at Grateley with a short walk home, quite pleased with scoring a trio of LU units, plus a couple more 395s, with some good speed. I suspect a return trip to London will be made in a couple Sundays time, mainly focusing on Piccadilly Line and a Leyton fester for 91177.
395020 & 395002 at Viking Bay, Broadstairs by Kite, on Flickr
Viking Bay, Broadstairs by Kite, on Flickr Viking Bay, Broadstairs by Kite, on Flickr
Inside 92080 by Kite, on Flickr
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I always forget you've only been logging your journeys for the last 3 and a bit years, which just makes it even more incredible to realise how much you've done over that time.

Incredible bit of fortune with LU there, to need so little and be only 3 steps away from clearing 3 more LU fleets is just amazing. It goes without saying that I'm jealous, and even more determined than ever to clear more of LU when I have a brief visit next week. I definitely still feel you shouldn't go into semi-retirement next year, instead exploring more of the world and the many interesting systems Europe has to offer. Plenty of recommendations I can make, and of course I'd be interested in tagging along for some of it ;)

You've overtaken me on 395s by one now, and I would love to take advantage of that Southeastern offer. Alas the funds just aren't there, and there's too much to go after in London to warrant doing what you did. Odds are I'll get your last 92er when I'm in London!

I'll no doubt remember in the meantime, but the best of luck on the Cambrian Coast this weekend. Not at all jealous...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top