• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Looks like some typically Cumbrian weather for you there. And indeed the jump at Braystones is quite a hefty one from what I remember, as was Nethertown.

Ironically I'm off for a short trip that way today, just to get Wigton and Silecroft and some 37 action in. Clears Carlisle to Green Road and leaves me not too far behind up on clearing the whole line!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
On top of all the crapness of the new interface on the TVMs, they're more often than not completely broken anyway. Quite common to see a laminated bit of A4 on them saying "due to a routewide issue... etc"

Don't know what was wrong with the old ones...
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Beware Silecroft is a level crossing ;)
I *think* I have something like a +21 so provided that the service doesn't fall over, I should be fine...

That said, the past two times I've been this way, it has.

142093 is taking me across the Tyne Valley and I'm already screaming for mercy before Hexham.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,835
Location
West of Andover
Hopefully 37402 doesn't decide to break down today for you ;)

(It broke down on Monday, thankfully on the other side of Barrow so the coast services were mostly unaffected as far as I could tell)
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Well I have a very cosy 156484 down to Silecroft. 142028 has just bombed past us so hopefully that'll stay away.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Oy, quit slagging Pacers RG!
They're fine on commuter routes but honestly over the Tyne Valley you seem to limp your way across while getting shook to pieces as you jolt and bounce your way along.

Thankfully I'm on the ScotRail service at 18:36 back across so I'm guaranteed a 156.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I make substantial efforts to bash Tyne Valley Pacers for that very reason!

Poor you having to suffer a broken low back Scotrail seat, unless 156450 turns up!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,835
Location
West of Andover
Or 156510 (?) the one with the new ironing boards ;)

BT - But be careful as there was a couple Newton Heath 142s floating around Newcastle last weekend with the original 3+2 bench seating (rather than the nicer 2+2 seating found on the Heaton batch)
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
There seams to be a concerted effort to inflict these on a wider audience of late I had noticed.
Its 450 with the new seats hense my mention of it.

I have had a short ride on it and am unsure what I think as they are padded ones in comparison to many but unsure how a longer run will be.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
It's most certainly 156510 in Saltire livery with sockets and Fainsa seats. I had it a few weeks ago.

156450 is still in Barbie livery and largely untouched, largely confined to Oban and Mallaig runs.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
You are correct gents, my notations were wrong as wasnt actually bashing on the day I had it but on a norm related journey that just happened to be deliberatly delayed for 91 minutes because I knew it was coming. What did you think of it?
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
You are correct gents, my notations were wrong as wasnt actually bashing on the day I had it but on a norm related journey that just happened to be deliberatly delayed for 91 minutes because I knew it was coming. What did you think of it?
I had it relatively soon after it entered service so the seats were rock solid. I think the new displays are inferior (and they didn't work) as are the exterior destination displays but hey, the sockets actually worked which was an bonus.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Theres a few around with the so called upgrade to the PIS now and Iv heard this from others. Day 3 in traffic I got it and whilst the seats are solid there is more padding so might actually settle down, agreed on the sockets though.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,835
Location
West of Andover
23rd July – Freedom of the North West, Day 2

It was a late(ish) start for me this morning as I wanted to get onto the 09:03(ish) Newcastle service to make a start with my remaining 5 stations to visit on the Tyne Valley Line, 4 of which are normally only served 2-hourly but I made use of the odd Sunday timetable to give me something to do (considering the Coast is pretty much out of bounds on Sundays due to 4 trains from Whitehaven to Carlisle and roughly hourly to Barrow from Lancaster).

There isn’t that much open around Carlisle this early on a Sunday morning, not even a Subway so my breakfast was a Ham & Cheese croissant from WH Smiths at Carlisle station, before taking a seat on 142084 forming the first Newcastle service, via a revenue block. I settled back to enjoy the trip along the Tyne Valley exiting Cumbria and arriving into Northumberland to the level crossing station at Haydon Bridge. I think I spotted a little shop down the street, but I didn’t have that much time on my hands, I couldn’t explore that much before 156443 rolled in to take me back a couple stops to Haltwhistle.

A very nice signal box high up above an old footbridge, a nearby Co-Op was walked to, only to find it closed, but I popped to a local shop for a couple cans of Barr brand cans of pop, just for something cold. Returning to the station I didn’t have that long to wait before 156464 popped up to take me one stop east to Bardon Mill to clear all the Northumberland stations. This station looked like it had a barrow crossing in the past, but now is a footpath to use a farm crossing to get between platforms. The Carlisle platform is very basic (little bus shelter with those folding seats), and a word of warning, don’t visit if you need the loo as there is a water treatment plant behind the station.

The next Carlisle service was formed of low mileage 142063 (which like 142084 now joins the 10 mile club of Pacer Stardom), back into Cumbria to reach Wetheral, a nearby hotel & shop to the station itself, but I was more interested in walking across the viaduct which gives an excellent view of the River Eden, and apart from nearly getting hit by an idiotic cyclist who clearly cannot read the “cyclists MUST dismount” signs at either end of the footbridge. My time here wasn’t that long before I returned to the platform for another trip on 142063 to Brampton, to clear the line. The last eastbound service for 4 hours looking at the timetable (with a similar gap on the other side after the next service, due in an hour as 142084 rushed past with 156444 along for the ride on the rear.

Brampton station has a footbridge at the Newcastle end, a very small totem pole, a basic shelter on the Carlisle platform, but a nice shelter on the Newcastle bound platform, which I made use of to relax. The town itself is a good mile and a half away going by the signposts (hence why the station is only 2-hourly), my peace getting disturbed by 66709 dashing past light engine towards Newcastle. Once 156444 reappeared I knew it was time to make my move to the other platform, as 156464 returned to take me back to Carlisle, which was in a bit of chaos. Signalling on the WCML around Motherwell had gone so some monster delays heading southbound from Glasgow, but I had other plans.

Due to the cancelled service on the Saturday evening, meant I missed out on visiting Dalston (the first station onto the coast), so after swinging via Tesco for some supplies I stood on a busy 156469/153352 [for it was the first service to Whitehaven of the day] to alight at Dalston. Sadly unlike at Brampton where the station WiFi was working, the WiFi at Dalston wasn’t working, so it was to my book for my hour fester in the rain. A large building was on the Carlisle platform, but was completely empty, so I made use of the seat in the shelter on the Whitehaven platform. Time flew by as I crossed over the footbridge to flag down 156438 back to Carlisle, where I managed to get across to platform 4 to board a heavily delayed 390002 bound for Euston (I think by this point it was running something stupid like 2 and a half hours late, calling additionally at Oxenholme and Stafford before getting diverted via the Trent Valley instead of the West Midlands crawl).

390002’s application to join the club of 9-80 was successful for the reasonably busy run (I think an Edinburgh TPE took most of the passengers as it was in front). 90 miles later I alighted at Preston for a short walk over to the platform 1/2 island with a Blackpool North bound 156461/150133 rolling in from Liverpool. I have no idea how busy the 156 was but the 150 was empty. First time along the line in light for a while, spotting signs of piles, posts & the odd wire holder, Kirkham & Wesham looked so strange with the avoiding “main” lines removed, but eventually we rolled into Blackpool North. As expected my rover didn’t open the ticket barriers but surprisingly I wasn’t given the 3rd degree from the gateline staff as they took one look and opened up.

5 minutes later I had reached the water-front, with one small aim of seeing if tram 006 was out to play, at first I started with North Pier but walked to the Tower stop (mainly on grounds that the two platforms at North Pier are quite far apart), spotting that points are in for the future extension to the station. Anyhow for the first 45 minutes it was dud tram after dud tram, and after the first southbound service I sat returned north I walked back to North Pier. With one eye on the clock I was going to call it a day after the next southbound service, the rain had returned and I was getting a bit wet, so in rolled 006. Sadly North Pier appears to be a timed stop so the tram waited around for a good few minutes before continuing allowing the conductor to pounce for a single ticket back to Tower [I did have a rough idea of heading to Blackpool South but that option had gone]. Walking back to Blackpool North, once more I was let through the gateline, and we were even allowed to board the Liverpool service a good 6 minutes before it was due to depart!

Like before it was a 156+150 combo, sadly both already in my club as it was 156440 leading 150211, as I took a seat in the leading coach of the 156 (using the theory that most passengers would board the 150 via the first set of doors), a nice run back to Preston, where I spotted a Barrow service was a pair of dud 156s, allowing me to ignore them to focus on the next Glasgow service. I had asked Virgin Twitter earlier in the day for the services that a certain 390 was working, to get back that it was on Manchester services all day. For the 2nd time of the week I had benefited from a set swap as in rolled 390128, which after a 10 minute delay waiting for a new train manager from a delayed southbound service set off, the sound of the cannon in the distance, for the 390s had finally been cleared.

I got a table seat for the 90 mile run north via the lake district in the falling light, arriving back at Carlisle, swinging via one of the many pizza places to grab a pizza for dinner, a large smile as I wasn’t really expecting to see that bugger. In summary, today I got 6 more stations visited, my final Blackpool Tram (only counting the Flexity ones, and until 017 & 018 arrive later in the year), and my final 390 unexpectedly so here be some pictures:

142084 at Haydon Bridge by Kite, on Flickr
Haydon Bridge by Kite, on Flickr
156443 at Haltwhistle by Kite, on Flickr
The signal box at Haltwhistle by Kite, on Flickr
156464 departing Bardon Mill by Kite, on Flickr
Bardon Mill by Kite, on Flickr
142063 departing Wetheral by Kite, on Flickr
Wetheral Station by Kite, on Flickr
River Eden at Wetheral by Kite, on Flickr
142063 at Brampton by Kite, on Flickr
Large waiting room at Brampton by Kite, on Flickr
142084 approaching Brampton by Kite, on Flickr
156444 rushes past Brampton by Kite, on Flickr
Small Station sign by Kite, on Flickr
66709 passing Brampton by Kite, on Flickr
153352 at Carlisle by Kite, on Flickr
153352 at Dalston by Kite, on Flickr
Dalston by Kite, on Flickr
Dalston by Kite, on Flickr
Future Extension to the Station at Blackpool? by Kite, on Flickr
Blackpool Tram 006 by Kite, on Flickr
Blackpool North Sign by Kite, on Flickr
390128 at Carlisle by Kite, on Flickr
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Top marks on those more awkward Tyne Valley shacks.

The only real good time to do them is to do them in the evening peak (when there's trains to Carlisle off Newcastle at 15:24, 16:22, 17:16, 17:54 and 18:24 that largely call at all shacks beyond Hexham) which is what I ended up doing.

Haydon Bridge has a Co-op for future reference. I'm sure it's just by the river.
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Nicely done Kite, I have walked that viaduct once whilst killing time wating for our Sunday lunch venue of choice to open.

I dont know what was happening at Blackpool that day but something clearly wrong lol. Oh and 390128, excillent!

The Sunday revenue block at Carlisle is due to it being the party capital for Cumbria, Southwest Scotland and the Southern borders so whilst the city is largely asleap theres plenty unticketed pax trying their luck.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always, an excellent read! Congratulations on clearing the Tyne Valley shacks, very good going indeed. Welcome to the club on the 390s! Nice work on clearing Blackpool for now, like you I don't count the old trams in my lists.

Got to feel sorry for the passengers held up on that 390 over 2 hours late mind, that can't be fun!
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
As always, an excellent read! Congratulations on clearing the Tyne Valley shacks, very good going indeed. Welcome to the club on the 390s! Nice work on clearing Blackpool for now, like you I don't count the old trams in my lists.

Got to feel sorry for the passengers held up on that 390 over 2 hours late mind, that can't be fun!

2 hours late is.nothing-I've been 3.5 hours late on a pendo before now!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Likewise, and to be honest there are worse places to fester out a multiple hour delay, the F and S voyager on the next platform being a strong contender!
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Likewise, and to be honest there are worse places to fester out a multiple hour delay, the F and S voyager on the next platform being a strong contender!

Aye, 4 hours on a single seat in coach K aint too bad! (The crew were fantastic)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,835
Location
West of Andover
24th July – Freedom of the North West, Day 3

The final day of my long weekend in the North, and it was an early start to catch the 05:15 service to Preston, DBSO 9709 was leading the beast known as 37402 for the first southbound service of the day. The train slowly filled up on route around the coast, and pretty much emptied out at Sellafield. I remained on board to alight the set at my first new station of the day at Bootle. A pleasant little request stop, a nice house (which I believe is for sale) in the former station building, and a level crossing at the Carlisle end of the station (so beware if you have any tight connections).

After a 15 (or so) minute wait, 153363 & 153304 rolled into the station to take me one stop back to Ravenglass (for Eskdale). A station I will probably be revisiting next year to do the Eskdale line, very well kept flower pots, (and what looked like to be a pub next to the station) but another station where tight connections will be hard (mainly due to having to use a road underpass to reach the other platform). The next southbound service started from Maryport, as stalker 153352 rolled in with 153378 on the rear to take me a couple stops south to Silecroft. The useable platforms here were barely long enough for the pair of 153s as it was a long step down from the rear door (with request stop bashing it is best to board the door by the guard to request the stop).

Another level crossing station, another well kept one as well, as 142027 decided it wanted to join my 10 mile club and bounced in (a lot of jointed track on this line), it was the Sellafield commuter train and to be honest it was quite quiet (6 other passengers on board). Passing the various 68s at Sellafield (the 57/0 which had been there on Saturday was spotted heading north earlier in the day), and using the crossover at the south of the station, the train terminated at Sellafield. An odd layout where the southbound track has two platform faces, but one side has been fenced off, the signal box at the northern end of the station controls access to the single track section to St Bees. A basic station, one which I didn’t do that much exploring with my camera on grounds of it being near the nuclear waste place (and didn’t want to end up getting arrested for the crime of taking a picture of some high security fence)

Back onto 142027 to bounce back south, this time arriving into Millom, which has a handy Tesco nearby the station, so handy as it allowed me to get some supplies [mainly a nice cold drink]. A well maintained station with information displays, which was showing something like “fault with the loco hauled set, delays and cancellations likely” as 37402 decided to have a little break at Dalton. Thankfully it was on the other side of Barrow so the coast itself wouldn’t have been that badly hit (from what I could see). Anyhow, it was time to focus on some awkward stations, and a puzzle as 153352 rolled in with 153378 on the rear (no idea, had the units been broken up in Barrow and swapped ends). The train was reasonably busy for the run northbound, as I bailed at Whitehaven, leaving the screaming kids behind.

153304/153363 had returned from Carlisle, so it was back on board, this time sitting in 153304, back along the sea front, requesting for the train to stop at the very remote Braystones. A bit of a step down, but what a stunning view from sitting on the little bench (looked like there was some sort of seat in the waiting shelter as well). My time at Braystones wasn’t for long before 142027 bounced in for the short mile and a half run to Nethertown. Another station with stunning views of the Irish Sea, as it is right on the cliff. Sadly I couldn’t see any easy way to reach the beach, no seat in the little bus shelter on the single platform, so my hat went on as I crossed over to sit on the grass on the disused platform, to partake in a spot of “Zenning Out”, the only sound was from the sea, with the feeling of beautiful isolation (sorry Achnashellach, you have lost your spot as my favourite station).

These two stations are awkward due to the levels of service, as only a few trains a day call, but the hour I spent waiting went quickly (as I had my alarm set for 5 minutes before the next train was due as a “just in case I fell asleep”). I flagged down 156469 with a not-so surprised guard, saying farewell to the stunning part of the line, it was a near 27 mile run to the island platform of Foxfield, featuring a very beautiful signal box (and for the benefit of Mr Tech, a pub outside the station ;)). 40 (or so) minutes later 156479 rolled in to take me the 2 miles back along the line to Green Road. A very remote station (looking at the map, the nearest settlement was a good mile away), very well kept with some workmen upgrading the level crossing (I can see why this part of the line has no Sunday service and limited evening service, due to the many signal boxes & level crossings along the route).

The end was in sight, as I flagged down 153378 to take me to Askam, a handy Co-Op outside the station for anybody wanting a quick snack, beware it is another level crossing. My mobile internet decided it didn’t want to play ball, but thankfully my good friend Techni was on hand to tell me the next southbound service was running roughly 10 minutes late (the last southbound for a couple hours), which increased my +7 at the final coastal shack. I got a bit jumpy when departure time came and gone, a couple minutes later the barriers came down as 37402 returned to take me the 3 miles to Kirkby-in-Furness, the coast had been cleared. Flagging down the return of 142027 which had 153352 on the rear (locked out of use), which was running around 10 minutes late (mainly caused by getting held up outside Whitehaven). A crew change at Barrow in Furness as I remained on board, pausing briefly at Roose, before the Barrow avoiding line rejoined as I alighted at Dalton.

Which meant that all Northern stations have been visited, Dalton joining the list featuring the likes of Ash, Perranwell, Maidstone Barracks, West Runton, Watlington, Gainsborough Lea Road, Seamer, Islip, Rainham, Winsford & Berwick Upon Tweed as being final stations for TOCs. Anyhow back to Dalton, nothing much to report around the station, just housing with a road bridge at the Lancaster end to get between platforms. My 35 minutes here went quickly as 156469 rolled in to take me back underneath the wires at Lancaster, visiting Tesco for something to eat & drink. As a time wasting move once I returned to the station it was onto 156425 for the run to Carnforth, returning on 185146 (pushing that 185 above 10 miles). At Lancaster it was another time wasting move to Wigan North Western [my seat on the Euston 390 was only reserved from Warrington] with 350406 & 350403 for the speedy run (350403 joining the 10 mile club as I’ve only previous had it on a Haymarket leap).

It was another low mileage 390 taking me back to Euston tonight, this time in the shape of 390103 (only a Manchester – Stockport leap), no issue getting seat C9, as I relaxed on the fast run south, apart from having to stop south of Crewe due to Daisy accessing the tracks (and she wasn’t Mooving). At Euston I decided to allow the first southbound service go (as I had roughly 45 minutes to get to Waterloo, knowing that the unit to form the 22:20 doesn’t normally arrive until 22:05), the next northbound caught my eye as it was required 51545/51544 for the tiny leap to Mornington Crescent. 51549/51550 did the honours to take me to Waterloo, for a short wait before long term absence 159006 rolled in to form the 22:20 back to Salisbury.

A good run back to Grateley with a short walk home, to relax and reflect on a very productive weekend, where nothing really went wrong (a few minor delays, an odd cancelled service which I was probably going to skip anyway due to wanting to check into the hotel), giving me a free day for the following Saturday which I had pencilled in for a “mop up” day in case of delays/cancellations. Anyway, that will follow but first a lot of pictures:
37402 at Carlisle by Kite, on Flickr
37402 departing Bootle by Kite, on Flickr
Bootle Station by Kite, on Flickr
153304 at Ravenglas by Kite, on Flickr
Ravenglass by Kite, on Flickr
Ravenglass by Kite, on Flickr
153378 departing Silecroft (before the “Richard Waz Here graffiti ;)” by Kite, on Flickr
Silecroft by Kite, on Flickr
Silecroft by Kite, on Flickr
142027 at Sellafield by Kite, on Flickr
142027 at Millom by Kite, on Flickr
Millom by Kite, on Flickr
153304 at Braystones by Kite, on Flickr
Braystones by Kite, on Flickr
Braystones by Kite, on Flickr
The View from Braystones Station by Kite, on Flickr
142027 at Nethertown by Kite, on Flickr
Nethertown by Kite, on Flickr
Nethertown by Kite, on Flickr
The sea at Nethertown by Kite, on Flickr
Nethertown, not one to visit when it is raining by Kite, on Flickr
156469 departing Foxfield by Kite, on Flickr
The signal box at Foxfield by Kite, on Flickr
156479 at Green Road by Kite, on Flickr
Green Road by Kite, on Flickr
Workmen at Green Road by Kite, on Flickr
153378 at Askam by Kite, on Flickr
Askam by Kite, on Flickr
Askam by Kite, on Flickr
37402 departing Kirkby-in-Furness by Kite, on Flickr
Kirkby-in-Furness by Kite, on Flickr
Kirkby-in-Furness by Kite, on Flickr
153352 departing Dalton by Kite, on Flickr
185146 at Lancaster, because a trip to Lancaster wouldn't be complete without a picture of a 185 by Kite, on Flickr
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
A very enjoyable day out again on a route I'm becoming rather fond of these days, this may or may not have anything to do with 37s.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,835
Location
West of Andover
29th July – Freedom of the North West, Day 4

The day began in East Croydon (had a mild red pen evening on the Friday getting some more 387s, another 700 and a S7 into my book), at a rather early 04:10 (was booked onto the 06:03 Glasgow service from Euston), to be honest my night’s sleep wasn’t the greatest. Things in my head [mainly at being an absolute idiot (which if you follow me on Twitter you will know the reason)], being near to the lift in a warm room [it was the option of being cool with the AC on with the world’s nosiest electric box or being warm without a buzzing], getting woken up during the night with some party goers returning, and screaming kids departing early [I assume heading to Gatwick for an early morning flight]. Anyhow complaining aside, it was a short walk to get a surprise on the 04:40 Bedford service, a classical 319435!

Good in one way as 319435 is one of many 319s in my book for a Core leap [abit St Pancras – Farringdon], good that it was some classic 319 motor noise. Bad because I was hoping for something with a plug socket to charge my phone [see above for the main reason], but going via Selhurst to drop off some staff, it was a slightly different South London crawl, turning off after Streatham Common to via Streatham to rejoin the usual route (roll on next year!) at Tulse Hill. Interestingly the next northbound service was also showing as “formed of 4 carriages” when I arrived at St Pancras for a short walk to Euston (I know it takes longer, but it does save some money by avoiding the “Mixed Mode” premium by using LU).

The first Glasgow service of the day departed from platform 1, so the train manager was checking tickets as passengers were boarding 390002, not the fastest Glasgow service as it called at Watford Junction, Milton Keynes, Rugby, Stafford & Crewe before the usual Warrington, Wigan etc, but did put a good performance in for some tilt, arriving into Preston pretty much bang on time. I got good news the previous night as my last Northern unit finished the night in Blackpool so it was on the correct side of the country, although it could have been on several services from Blackpool but my tweet to Northern to ask out where she was working wasn’t needed as the 08:42 Preston to Carlisle was formed of winner 156463.

Needless to say that I was over the moon as I climbed on board my final Northern unit (at least my trip to Manchester at the start of September will be focused on the trams with nothing else to worry about), I took a seat on the left hand side in the direction of travel for the long trip to Carlisle (took just over 4 hours to do the 141 and a half miles!). The coast was as ever beautiful, and I think the only 2 stations this service skipped were Green Road & Drigg, it even called at Braystones & Nethertown. The unit ran into the rear of low mileage 153358 at Barrow in Furness but I was glad to get off at Carlisle, those Richmond seats are not the best for 4 hour journeys.

The Flying Scotsman had also arrived into Carlisle, so the station area was busy as I made my way to Tesco to pick up a meal-deal for lunch (plus picking up a carton of Orange Juice with bits in rather than a Smooth one, doh!). Back to the station and to platform 7 (shockingly my final platform to score at Carlisle) with a busy 156494 to take me to Dumfries, a station only in my visit log as being a 10 minute photo stop on a Railtour last year, so one I wanted to revisit to do it properly. Just before Annan I couldn’t quite ID the unit on the Dumfries short workings (caught it as 15643X), so it was to Gretna Green with 156501 (aka the “Hen Party” express).

A short wait before 156435 rolled in to take me to Annan (didn’t fancy the connection at Dumfries, even though the next Carlisle service was running 10 minutes late). A quick visit to the town centre got me a new flavour of Barr’s soft drinks, this time Apple (can’t complain at 39p for a cold drink). My final Scottish unit of the day was 156477 (must have escaped from the West Highland Line) back to Carlisle for a short connection with 158787 forming the Leeds semi-fast via the Settle & Carlisle. The Settle & Carlisle didn’t disappoint in being beautiful, as I bailed an hour and a bit later at Settle for the walk (if only this service called at Hellifield, it would give a decent connection to a Morecambe train). 20 minutes later I arrived at Giggleswick station for a short fester before 144015 rolled in from Leeds for some 144 thrash across the “Little North Western” to complete the ‘triangle’.

Annoyingly it went into bay platform 2 (to attach to the 153 on Morecambe shuttles), rather than platform 5 as booked, so it meant a longer walk to platform 4 for the next London service. I didn’t have that long to wait (the 144 was held at Carnforth for a late running TPE to clear the line) for my old foe to roll in. Yep it was City of Preston, 390128. I managed to get a decent seat in coach F for the reasonably fast run, slowed down at Stafford due to catching up with a late running service from Liverpool, and got a bit busy at Milton Keynes with fare dodgers boarding (sounded like the barrier at Milton Keynes was open, and there is less chance of a 390 rolling into a barriered platform at Euston).

Anyhow, arrival into Euston was roughly on time, which gave me a nice 40-odd minutes to get to Waterloo, so it was a walk to Euston Square, turning down a Hammersmith service to wait for 21029/21030 a minute later to Baker Street, with 96035/96110 giving me my doss of 96 stock noise for the fast run to Waterloo. Swinging via Tesco for a quick sandwich, before heading towards platform 14 to wait for the 22:20 Salisbury, which as ever had a large crowd waiting for it (mainly Basingstoke goers, seeing as there is a reasonable gap in fast Basingstoke services). In rolled 159012... with 159011 attached, cor blimey a double unit, SWT you are treating us too well. I got a seat in the middle coach of 159011 which was reasonably busy, but not as busy as usual, a fast run back to Grateley and a fast walk home, arriving a few minutes before it started to rain again (and judging by the state of the roads when walking home it had rained a lot before hand).

A very pleasant little round trip, the cherry being the capture of 156463, but I was completely tired at the end of the day, I won’t be doing that 06:03 service again in a hurry [unless I get a hotel within Zone 1], some pictures:
37059 passing Hayes & Harlington by Kite, on Flickr
37069 at Hayes & Harlington by Kite, on Flickr
156463 at Preston by Kite, on Flickr
Flying Scotsman at Carlisle by Kite, on Flickr
Dumfries station by Kite, on Flickr
156501 at Gretna Green by Kite, on Flickr

Next weekend is quiet, might pop down to Exeter if either 57602 or 57605 is working the summer special loco hauled, the Sunday will probably be a trip on HS1 (South Eastern currently have a £10 return deal from London to Margate which is hard to turn down)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top