• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Given just how many 150s there arr to have had all of them is quite the achievement.

I still believe you need a 390 is that right?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Given just how many 150s there arr to have had all of them is quite the achievement.

I still believe you need a 390 is that right?

Aye, 390128.

One of these days it will pop up in Manchester when I'm there, or pop up by random on one of my forthcoming Virgin moves [like 91114 did].
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
17th June – To the Cambrian!

Today would be the day where I would make a start with the Cambrian line, as apart from the two termini & Machynlleth I need everything, including all those request stops on the coast line (which is a job for August time). My focus today would be on the shared section of the line where there are a few additional services thrown in to make it hourly at times, however due to timetable limitations it would be an early morning drive to Basingstoke for the first northbound XC of the day. I apologise in advance if I misspell any of the station names.

A pleasant enough drive to Basingstoke, purchasing my car park ticket before heading towards platform 4 to wait for the 05:40 Manchester service to roll in, today formed of 220022 to take me the 65 and a half miles via a lengthy reversal at Reading to Banbury, where I bailed for the following Chiltern service, which was formed of a quiet solo 168323 to take me onwards to Birmingham Moor Street where it terminated (to attach to another 168 in the platform to form the next London service). At Warwick Parkway I passed the Duchess of Sutherland steam engine, no idea why I’m mentioning this other than to draw parallels to my Far North trip to Sutherland.

I set about having the short walk to New Street, swinging via Tesco for breakfast, a nice cold carton of apple juice and a newspaper before heading to the Batcave to wait for the 08:25 service to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli formed of 158838 & 158832, I took a seat in the dark 832 which had working AC (as the windows were all open on 838), the lights came on after Wolverhampton, but it was nice and cool. After a reversal at Shrewsbury, it was onto the ERTMS controlled Cambrian Line, passing many closed stations, crossing over the border to Wales as I alighted at the first station on the route, the island platform at Welshpool.



With an hour to kill, and the platform not really giving much in the way of shelter from the sun (has a little bus shelter on it, but that was quite warm inside), I had a short walk to a nearby Tesco, passing the site of the “Old station” and what appears to be an old station overgrown. After some more random walking around I returned to the station to make a start at reading the newspaper when enjoying the sunshine as the Aberystwyth extra rolled in. As expected it was 158824 (as I had saw it earlier heading towards Shrewsbury at Welshpool), and was reasonable loaded, passing over the mountains, passing the depot (very scenic line this is in places), before bearing left into the newish loop at Dovey Junction, pausing for 158838 to return before carrying on back onto the long platform 2. A bit like Penryn on the Falmouth line in Cornwall, just beware it appears to be one long walk from 2B to platform 1.




Anyhow I remained on board running alongside the water to alight at Borth, which is a nice little seafront village (a little shop nearby) and a well maintained station. I had a short walk to the beach to enjoy the sea views and have my lunch when sitting on a bench before heading back to the station to enjoy the view from the platform before 158824 returned from Aberystwyth to take me back one stop to the quite remote Dovey Junction, watching the passing move take place with 158819 heading to Aberystwyth, waiting for a few minutes when using the WiFi of 824 which when checking RTT, it suggested the next southbound service was running around 7 minutes late which gave me an idea of getting a bonus shack score into my book as a warm 158837 rolled in to take me one stop along the line to Penhelig.





A brief glance and the station is within a cutting, featuring what appeared to be a nice looking wooden waiting shelter, but my time here wasn’t for long as I headed down some wooden steps. The only reason why I was doing this walk is due to Google suggesting it took 21 minutes, with the next train being in 22 minutes, so normally a bit too tight. However apart from the first few minutes where there was no pavement, a pavement soon appeared walking along the sea front (a few pubs doing a good trade in beer this afternoon), making use of a footpath which wasn’t shown on Google Maps, which was a handy shortcut as I reached Aberdovey in 14 minutes. Evidence of a former platform here, with the remaining platform being low; however there was no shelter from the sun due to the position of the shelter.



158820 eventually rolled in around 7 minutes late, as I headed back alongside the coast, rolling in alongside 158819 at Dovey Junction before continuing to Machynlleth where a few minutes later 158819 rolled into the rear as both units continued heading eastwards, back over the mountains to take me to Newtown, a nice looking station with good shelter, so I’m told a friendly ticket office (sadly it was closed), near a reasonable sized town. With 85 (odd) minutes to wait before the next westbound service, I headed to the town centre to do some looking around, eventually walking alongside the River Severn, reaching Tesco where some ice-cream was purchased [alongside another cold carton of juice], before heading back to the station.



Next up was 158826 & 158822 to take me the short distance back along the line to Caersws, on the single track section, next to a little maintenance area, an old (I assume) signal box, but not a lot else around the station which I could spot, so after returning to a nice cool shelter I relaxed for 15 minutes before 158838 & 158823 rolled in (yep 158838 had returned to get even more miles), both units had failed AC, although at Shrewsbury I did spot the Deltic tour getting ready to depart, but it was warm in the coach after returning with a video of the departure. A right time departure as I headed back towards Wolverhampton and Birmingham New Street, my mission of the day complete with a bonus shack score.





However that wasn’t all, as earlier in the day I had spotted a blue 68 working the early morning Kidderminster – Marylebone service, which after checking with Mr Quinn I was happy as it should be 008. With time to kill I popped to Sports Direct in the Bull Ring in the attempt to purchase some new 3 quarter length shorts as my previous pair was ripped, this failed due to not finding anything suitable, so it was to Moor Street watching a bit of chaos as a 172 eventually departed 15 minutes late, as the sound of a 68 was heard in the distance as winner 68008 rolled in, sadly only for the tiny leap to Snow Hill, but gets it into the book, plugging a gap in my 68s I’ve had for haulage. I missed the DVT due to a tight connection onto 168001 as annoying when the DVT passed someone got in the way blocking the numbers, although IIRC I only need one more Chiltern DVT so it would probably been dud (although nice to have to fill a gap in my log).



Anyways, 168001 was the unit taking me back to Banbury, swapping over to 220024 working the next Reading terminator, terminating into platform 3 and giving me roughly 30 minutes to grab dinner from McDonalds, at a station in chaos with many delays being reported. I was surprised as the next Basingstoke stopper being a nice cool 166215 as normally these are 2-car 165s at weekends, as another 166 claims membership of the 9-80 club (only pervious entry for this 166 was on a Tilehurst – Reading leap). Arrival into Basingstoke was on time, to find another station in chaos with many delays & cancellations getting reported, as I walked to the car park and had a drive home in the warm weather.

7 new ATW shacks into my book, allowing me to focus mainly on the coast line, getting Penhelig was a bonus, as was the 68 (even if it meant I was home 45 minutes later than originally planned).

--------

18th June – A circular route of rediscovery

I come across this ticket by chance when playing with the GWR website so I won’t mention it just in case it is a routing guide error, but I treated myself to First Class on grounds that it was quite reasonably priced compared to standard class. Anyhow as I have mentioned in the Shack Attack thread there is a small number of shacks I have recorded as being visited before I started to log my moves, so doing this round trip would allow me to put them into my log as revisits.

A nice early morning drive to Romsey, saw me managing to locate a prime parking spot by the side of the road before heading up the stairs to wait for the doors on 158798 to get released before it formed the service to Brighton. The guard only had the local door open as he was checking/selling tickets before departure, as I took a seat in the leading coach, the AC wasn’t working (no surprise there), however once the windows were opened with speed built up it was OK.

Arrival into Brighton was on time, the train getting busier as the journey went on, where I noticed the crowd control barriers for the potential crowds heading home later in the day as I headed over to platform 7 as 171729 was just rolling in from Ashford. I did my usual trick of heading straight into the First Class area on grounds that the Brighton – Ashford services are standard class only which is something most normals don’t know about (plus the 2+1 seating helps). A pleasant enough run heading eastwards via the Sussex countryside, reversing in Eastbourne to run alongside the sea as I alighted at my first shack revisit of the day, at Bexhill.



I had forgotten how long the platforms are, as I exited the station, swinging via the Co-Op on route via the seafront to reach Collington, a quite basic shack, as I saw 377449 departing on the Ore – London Victoria service:


The next Ore service in typical Southern style was running late, and 377423 eventually rolled in around 19 minutes late, which meant I had missed my connection to the London Cannon Street service at St Leonards Warrior Square, which meant I had roughly 30 minutes to waste before the next Cannon Street service (Hasting – London isn’t an even balance due to one service calling all shacks and the next being semi-fast). So to kill the time I headed to the beach:


Back to the station, and it wasn’t a long wait before 375620 & 375629 rolled in to take me northbound for the first time on the Hastings Line (I’ve only ever done this line southbound, and it brought back memories of that cold wet December evening in 2015 where I linearly hopped down the line making use of the peak-time extras). Unsurprisingly I was the only person sat in the “posh” seat area for the nice run up to Tonbridge, arriving pretty much bang on time, allowing me to cross over to platform 1 where 377425 was sat ready to work the next Redhill stopper.

Once more memories of when I did the shacks on this line came back, with the plug socket coming in handy to give my phone a quick charge on the slow and steady line (much better doing it non-stop on a diverted South Eastern service). Once at Redhill, the heat hit me as I couldn’t spot how well the new platform work is coming along due to a high fence blocking views. The platform was busy and this is one of the reasons why I paid that extra couple quid extra to go 1st class, as I know the hourly Reading services can get busy with holiday makers returning home. We were warned that the AC had failed before 166211 rolled in, which was busy in standard class, with all 4 tables taken in First Class, as I got dirty looks from a posh lady for daring to sit at her own personal table.

The North Downs line is scenic as ever, although it was let down for this service being the Surrey Shacks caller (again memories) losing time on route, with uncooled air being blown in via the vents, not being the nicest of trips (might have been better if the first class door was locked open but this 166 it was actually working). Eventually the 166 rolled into Reading around 10 minutes late, but the XC towards Bournemouth was also running a couple minutes late and had rolled in as I was going up the stairs to reach platform 8.

2200014 was the voyager in question and the AC was bliss, I had no issue finding an empty seat due to the fact that coach A only had 2 other passengers in it!, the rest of the train appeared to be standing room only from when I walked past


I even got some freebies from the trolley, a couple cans of diet coke & a packet of crisps, making use of the free Wi-Fi, no issue from the guard who accepted my ticket without query, for the nice run into Hampshire, pausing around Micheldever so that the driver could be talked through a couple red signals which had failed, but a nice enough run other than that, arriving into Southampton avoiding most of the issues from earlier in the day.

It was onto the Romsey bound 158882 going back via Eastleigh for some AC loveliness, departing 12 minutes late due to waiting for a member of train crew, but a nice enough trip via Chandlers Ford where I decided against doing a mini-visit this evening due to the heat so it was back to Romsey, and a walk down to the car opening the windows to allow some of the hot air to escape before firing up the Climate control set at a nice cool 18C, AC on with the windows closed to take me back home, the outside temperature sensor recording a temperature of 35C at Romsey, dropping down to 32C by the time I reached home.

Apart from issues with failed AC, a nice enough day pottering around in a circular journey, rediscovering a couple lines
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
It's so hot! Nice couple of trips there Kite. I particularly enjoyed looking at the photos from Wales. Thanks for the write up :).
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Good weekend there, enjoyable reads. Why the changeover at Banbry in both directions on the Saturday, split ticket?
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, good read as ever and nice to see you going over some old ground. That visit to the Cambrian on Saturday seemed productive even if it meant upping your mileage with non-AC 158s. I need to get back to the Cambrian as I have not been since 1977 on this tour
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Kite, good read as ever and nice to see you going over some old ground. That visit to the Cambrian on Saturday seemed productive even if it meant upping your mileage with non-AC 158s. I need to get back to the Cambrian as I have not been since 1977 on this tour

So it sounds like you have required track north of Portmadog to Pwllheli ;)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Another fantastic read, and nice work on the bonus shack score :) Caught up with me on the Cambrian, indeed you're now 1 shack ahead of me as I need Aberdovey and everything else north of there. High time I made an effort to get up there again...
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a great couple of days! Could you PM me that potential loophole please? ;)

As for your mystery DVT, 68008 replaced 68014 which was with 82301 so it's highly likely that it was 82301. I'll be able to confirm next time I see the set.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Having caught up on the last couple of trips, it is amazing how you sem to keep on top of everything.

Regarding the Platform 4 grice at Coventry from the Birmingham direction, that was where the Birmingham NS - Coventry local all stations services used to terminate. I did that grice in 1989 on a Class 310, then over to Platform 3 to see which Class 47 was on the northbound "Sussex Scot".

Regarding the Cambrian, both yorself, Keith, and Techniquest have done far better than me, as I have yet to bash the track west of Shrewsbury. Something I have planned for the future, which will help me clear the Machynlleth based Class 158s, as I am deliberately avoiding them on runs within the West Midlands PTE area for that purpose.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Regarding the Cambrian, both yourself, Keith, and Techniquest have done far better than me, as I have yet to bash the track west of Shrewsbury. Something I have planned for the future, which will help me clear the Machynlleth based Class 158s, as I am deliberately avoiding them on runs within the West Midlands PTE area for that purpose.

And just for the record, I have also been to Aberystwyth (prior to the railtour) on an excursion from Bristol which was Duff as far as Shrewsbury where a pair of Rats took over. While in Aberystwyth, we went up the Vale of Rheidol with no 7 on the way up on an additional train laid on as a result of the excursion hitting town and no 8 back (some of us bunking a service train on the way back to avoid an extended fester at the far end). The return run was rather entertaining as one of the Rats failed upon leaving Machynlleth so we were left with one Rat to drag a dead classmate and 12 Mark 1s up the bank. Much spluttering was witnessed by all!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Sounds like a great couple of days! Could you PM me that potential loophole please? ;)

As for your mystery DVT, 68008 replaced 68014 which was with 82301 so it's highly likely that it was 82301. I'll be able to confirm next time I see the set.

You have PM ;)

BB21 confirmed it was 82301 as the DVT :)

My last Chiltern DVT is 82308, but they are not on my 'required' list, just as a "nice to score at random", similar to the VTEC & GA DVTs

-----

Adam, I'm sure you will enjoy the Cambrian :)

----

Keith, the Vale of Rheidol line is on my list to do next year, I will probably make a start doing the 'easier' heritage lines [i.e. those near a NR station] first.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
82308 isn't a Chiltern DVT :lol:. It's an ATW one, currently on the Manchester set :lol:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
My old foe is stalking me! :lol:



And in random micro-gricing news, I managed to score platform 2 at Exeter St Davids this afternoon as the Okehampton services were starting from there :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
24th June – A roundabout encounter with Darfield

It was time for another station visiting trip, this time a focus on some of my remaining stations on Northern which are mostly focused around the Far North West, and a return for the first time in a few weeks (and for the last time for a few months) of the 05:27 Waterloo service from a very grey Grateley (grey in terms of paint as the blue has mostly gone), with “Basingstoke & Deane” 159004 taking me to Waterloo this morning, tipping it over the 2500 mile mark, arriving pretty much bang on time, with 51536/51535 taking me onwards to Euston.

A quick visit to Sainsburys for some breakfast, before heading over to the top of platform 3 where the 07:30 Glasgow Central service was getting prepared (according to RTT), however at 07:20 a late set swap took place, thankfully only over to platform 4 where 390047 was stolen from a Manchester service, as I took my seat in coach C...

...it wasn’t C9 this time, but C43, which like C9 doesn’t line up against a bulkhead giving me some extra elbow room, but as it was underneath the Pan meant the overhead rack was tidy (but has a benefit of excellent leg-room). Departure was a couple minutes down, but that was made up on the speedy run towards Lancaster, where I alighted to wait for the Blackpool – Barrow service a few minutes later, which was formed of (hire-in) 185114 to take me onto the Furness Line to score my first shack score of the day, exiting via local door only at Kents Bank.



It appeared that the 185 fitted, the only reason why I think it was local door only was due to a low(ish) platform, anyhow a barrow crossing at the Barrow end of the platforms (boom boom!), and a nice place to relax, apart from the 20-or so other passengers waiting on the opposite platform, good views over the water. A busy 156459 rolled in from Sellafield, and I was lucky to get a seat for the near 11 mile run back across the River Kent on the Arnside viaduct to have an encounter with Carnforth. Sadly it was brief as via a RPI block it was under the subway (be near the rear of the unit) to board a Leeds bound 150215.



This 150 wasn’t as busy as expected, but gave a very good vocal performance heading eastwards on the Bentham line to take me to Bentham, a nice enough station to visit, if I had the time I probably would have visited the village centre, but as time was a bit on the tight side (due to the fairly limited timetable on this route), so it was over the footbridge, spotting a lovely waiting room for my reasonable wait for a highly probable 144. The station having some posh looking passenger information units fitted, one was broken!



As expected it was a 3-car 144 on the daily boat train, and I didn’t quite fancy a rough 150 minute wait at Wennington, I decided to stay on board 144022 all the way to the end of the line following a reversal at both Lancaster (making use of the lay-over to pop to the station shop, only to purchase a newspaper as they were a tad expensive for a roll), and Morecambe to reach Heysham Port. A good 9 other passengers remained on the train from Morecambe to the Port with a busy looking ship to the Isle of Man. Around 9 other passengers boarded the 144 during the layover at the Port, compared to the previous time I used this service I was the only passenger on board.



Anyhow, it was a slow and steady trip back to Morecambe, picking up some more passengers, which emptied out at Lancaster for another reversal to take me back onto the long block section of the Leeds – Morecambe line, to take me to my final Yorkshire station at Clapham, the white rose has been conquered. With 40 minutes to wait, I spotted the station was in the middle of nowhere, a good couple miles away from the village of Clapham, with evidence of a former bus stop outside (although that Sunday bus across the dales to Clitheroe sounds interesting). The Lancaster bound platform was very plain, featuring a bus shelter & pole seat, in comparison the Skipton bound platform featured a nice waiting shelter, and with rain threatening I returned to read my newspaper/magazine.


144018 bounced into the station on the next Morecambe bound service, to take me back to Lancaster for a short wait for a 390 to depart before hired in 185151 roared into the station. Back to the Barrow line where a quite re-plan took place to take in the cancellation of the loco hauled set, but also meant a potential bonus shack score if I could pull of a +7 at the next station. After Carnforth the 185 was 4 late, so at Ulverston it was a quite walk via the subway to the other platform to find the next Lancaster service running late! Anyhow a pleasant enough looking station, an unusual track layout with the Barrow line having two faces.



Running around 10 minutes late, and with the PIS saying “formed of 1 carriage” I was dreading it, but managed to board a busy 153328 due to a large turnover of passengers, back across the River Leven viaduct to a station swap at Grange-over-Sands. Another pretty station, featuring a long bench on the Barrow platform, beware for anybody wanting a tight connection as it be a long subway, but it gives excellent views across the Bay. Even though the 153 was busy a second member of staff still managed to check/sell tickets, only the 2nd time of the day I had to show my ticket!



It was time for some more dog box action on the Millom terminator, with 153315 for the short run back along the coast to reach Cark & Cartmel, another nice station with a lovely footbridge and a waiting shelter in the former station building (and some more posh looking PIS units)



Another short wait at Cark before Windermere bound 185151 returned from Barrow in Furness for some more 185 action back across the water and into Lancashire with the bonus shack of Silverdale. Another barrow crossing and I was a bit disappointed as compared to some stations on this line this one hasn’t got a lot of seats, the Barrow bound platform featuring a bus shelter with nothing inside and a single row of folding bus shelter style seats. Interestingly this service skipped Kents Bank which was a bit of an oddity.



Thankfully it wasn’t too long of a fester at Silverdale before 185114 returned from Manchester to gain a 2nd entry into my log for the day on the short run to Arnside, a couple nice shelters and the village centre pub & shop being roughly 5 minutes walk away from the station. Some good views of the River Kent, but time was short before I returned to the station to await the next service from Carlisle to arrive. But especially for Tom here is a picture:



My final Northern service of the day was the return of 156459 back to Lancaster, where I had a 45 minute wait, allowing me to pop out of the station to visit Tesco for something to eat, returning to make use of the station WiFi and relax before 390156 rolled in to take me back to Euston. A lightly loaded service, and was going swimmingly until Hemel Hempstead where we caught up with the late running Crewe - Euston stopper, for a slow line crawl arriving into Euston around 9 minutes late. I got annoyed with the Flixster Video app on my tablet as it decided not to play the 2nd half of the movie I was watching after plugging in my charger.

After around 10 minutes of 95 stock hunting, it was to Waterloo on 51577/51578, for a spot of “hunt the diesel”, spotting 159102 locked up, giving me time to pop to Tesco for some water for tomorrow, returning as the unit was unlocked at around 23:25. As usual it was full & standing on departure of Clapham Junction, and as usual it emptied out quite well at Basingstoke, but a reasonable run back out west, and a nice walk home.

No winning units today, but only needing 3 Northern DMUs that was to be expected, but only Wennington & Dalton remains for me ‘south’ of Barrow in Furness (and pretty much everything from Barrow to Haydon Bridge, bar Whitehaven & Carlisle) to clear Northern.

I will leave you with a picture of 150106 sat on platform 2 at Exeter St Davids:
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Some of those places look very familiar. Great read Kite.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
Well done on clearing Yorkshire- most impressive. Never known RPI's at Carnforth before either! I didn't realise RPI's strayed outside of the PTE areas up here.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Iskra, there was two members of staff at Carnforth yesterday checking/selling tickets :)

June in Review

A bit of a quiet start for me with a weekend with the family, however I did manage to score the Longleat railway for coverage which I believe is my first miniature railway into my book. the main event would be the following week with a trip to Birmingham New Street required on the Friday night due to needing to be there for a Railtour on the Saturday, with my requirements in Birmingham being rather small it was a time wasting run on the tram, before doing the Perry Barr South – West curve used by that once a day XC service.

The Saturday was a Railtour taking into account some loops and branches, covering the Clitheroe Castle Cement line, and the Hunslet East line at Leeds. During a much needed break I scored my final Northern 158 operating a Huddersfield stopper (of all services!). Both 66s were winners which made it a good day.

A last minute decision on the 16th June saw me heading to Bath Spa to bag my final class 150 on a run back to Westbury, although it messed up my plans for a nice early night as it was another early start on the Saturday to drive to Basingstoke for an early morning XC service to head towards the Cambrian line, visiting the shacks on the “main” line part, plus a couple on the coast part. A bonus was getting 68008 on a Snow Hill leap in the evening.

The Sunday was a day of relaxation, a day of rediscovery, as I did a large loop from Southampton to Battle, going out via Brighton & Eastbourne, returning via Redhill & Reading, a nice enough day sitting in first class.

The next Friday (23rd) I was set to do a trip on HS1, but a cancelled & delayed service from Salisbury put that plan to bed, so for lack of a better idea I did a Bedwyn round trip, scoring a 43 on a Reading – Newbury leap, before a nice empty HST took me to Westbury, recovering the line between Westbury & Reading.

The 24th saw me head to the Far North West, mainly to grab a couple more shacks on the Morecambe – Leeds route, plus putting a small dent into my Lancaster – Carlisle via Barrow requirements. Some good tilt both ways via Virgin West Coast. The Sunday saw me head down towards Plymouth for a social with Techniquest & Blind Traveller, recovering the Gunnislake line, and as an added bonus scoring platform 2 at Exeter St Davids with an Okehampton bound 150.

The final Friday saw me head to London due to an early start on the Saturday requiring an overnight stay, so with noting that none of my last 5 GWR 43s were gettable, it was straight to Waterloo, heading to Paddington to pick up some required 387s, heading across to Farringdon where eventually a required 700 rolled in (taking up a position on an overbridge allowing me to keep an eye on the LU side in case my final S7 (which is in service) popped up. In addition my 2nd last DLR unit entered the book during a time wasting session due to misreading a Central Line service.


Scores on the Doors
16 new stations visited (plus 2 re-visited)
7 new units (1x 150, 1x 158, 4x 387, 1x 700)
4 new locos (1x 43, 2x 66, 1x 68)
2 new LU/DLR units (again I hardly touched LU this month)
Miles covered – 3012 miles

Scores on the Doors, Mid-year
87 Units getting the pen of red treatment
42 required locos
165 New Stations Visited
359 required Trams/LU/DLR
25669 miles to date

I’m taking a short break from trip reporting due to some personal reasons; keep an eye on my Flickr as I will still be uploading photos with titles & descriptions, with random stuff on Twitter.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a good June was had there. I hope the personal reasons are sorted soon and that all goes OK too.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Hope your ok Mr kite, shout if we can help in any way and thanks for your company and hospitality last weekend.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
Iskra, there was two members of staff at Carnforth yesterday checking/selling tickets :)

June in Review

A bit of a quiet start for me with a weekend with the family, however I did manage to score the Longleat railway for coverage which I believe is my first miniature railway into my book. the main event would be the following week with a trip to Birmingham New Street required on the Friday night due to needing to be there for a Railtour on the Saturday, with my requirements in Birmingham being rather small it was a time wasting run on the tram, before doing the Perry Barr South – West curve used by that once a day XC service.

The Saturday was a Railtour taking into account some loops and branches, covering the Clitheroe Castle Cement line, and the Hunslet East line at Leeds. During a much needed break I scored my final Northern 158 operating a Huddersfield stopper (of all services!). Both 66s were winners which made it a good day.

A last minute decision on the 16th June saw me heading to Bath Spa to bag my final class 150 on a run back to Westbury, although it messed up my plans for a nice early night as it was another early start on the Saturday to drive to Basingstoke for an early morning XC service to head towards the Cambrian line, visiting the shacks on the “main” line part, plus a couple on the coast part. A bonus was getting 68008 on a Snow Hill leap in the evening.

The Sunday was a day of relaxation, a day of rediscovery, as I did a large loop from Southampton to Battle, going out via Brighton & Eastbourne, returning via Redhill & Reading, a nice enough day sitting in first class.

The next Friday (23rd) I was set to do a trip on HS1, but a cancelled & delayed service from Salisbury put that plan to bed, so for lack of a better idea I did a Bedwyn round trip, scoring a 43 on a Reading – Newbury leap, before a nice empty HST took me to Westbury, recovering the line between Westbury & Reading.

The 24th saw me head to the Far North West, mainly to grab a couple more shacks on the Morecambe – Leeds route, plus putting a small dent into my Lancaster – Carlisle via Barrow requirements. Some good tilt both ways via Virgin West Coast. The Sunday saw me head down towards Plymouth for a social with Techniquest & Blind Traveller, recovering the Gunnislake line, and as an added bonus scoring platform 2 at Exeter St Davids with an Okehampton bound 150.

The final Friday saw me head to London due to an early start on the Saturday requiring an overnight stay, so with noting that none of my last 5 GWR 43s were gettable, it was straight to Waterloo, heading to Paddington to pick up some required 387s, heading across to Farringdon where eventually a required 700 rolled in (taking up a position on an overbridge allowing me to keep an eye on the LU side in case my final S7 (which is in service) popped up. In addition my 2nd last DLR unit entered the book during a time wasting session due to misreading a Central Line service.


Scores on the Doors
16 new stations visited (plus 2 re-visited)
7 new units (1x 150, 1x 158, 4x 387, 1x 700)
4 new locos (1x 43, 2x 66, 1x 68)
2 new LU/DLR units (again I hardly touched LU this month)
Miles covered – 3012 miles

Scores on the Doors, Mid-year
87 Units getting the pen of red treatment
42 required locos
165 New Stations Visited
359 required Trams/LU/DLR
25669 miles to date

I’m taking a short break from trip reporting due to some personal reasons; keep an eye on my Flickr as I will still be uploading photos with titles & descriptions, with random stuff on Twitter.

Has the ticket office at Carnforth closed then? Or were they there as well as the ticket office?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top