10th February Hunting for Dusties
It was another Friday evening trip to London, today I was after getting of my last remaining 321s into the book, as I needed 11 of them at the start of the evening. Sir Postye came to the rescue in looking up the magic box with the location of 6 of them and 4 of them were on Southend services, so I decided on a nice easy day return to Wickford. The first was on the 17:32(ish) towards Clacton, so with finishing work around 14:40 (I now work 08:00 17:00 Mondays to Thursday which allows me to finish at 14:30 on Friday), I went home, got changed and drove to Andover.
I need to make a note to try and reach Andover station via another method if aiming for the 15:38 as the roads were quite busy with school kicking out time, but I made it time to spare, even to pick up tickets for my trip on the Saturday. As expected the 15:38 was running a couple minutes late and was formed of 159101/159018 & 159017 with the rear unit looking quite busy as I did my usual move to reach the empty front unit for the ride towards Waterloo, spotting a 707 in the Wimbledon depot area and with announcements on the approach to Waterloo about the forthcoming August Waterloo works, it was a right time arrival into the busiest station in the UK.
The easiest way to get from Waterloo to Liverpool Street is via the W&C line, then one stop one the Central Line, however I decided against that due to wanting some 96 tunnel noise, so it was to the Jubilee line with a busy 96015/96072 taking me to London Bridge, doing the short walk to the Northern line platform with a busy 51626/51627 for a couple stops to Moorgate, exiting onto the eastbound Sub-Surface line platform, I checked the clock and decided to hang back waiting if anything required would show itself. After watching a metropolitan line service getting diverted to terminate into the Moorgate bay and a fast service (doing one of those Fast Metropolitan line services is on my wish-list, although I know I would need to board at Aldgate to get a decent seat). Anyhow I decided to call it a day with dud 21019/21020 to Liverpool Street where I exited LU and headed over to the trio of 321s on the 17:32 (ish) service.
Dud 321331 was on the rear with 321353 in the middle and winner
321434 on the front, 1 down. I took a position of standing near the rear door on 434 [seemed First Class was at the front] ready to make a fast interchange at Stratford from platform 10 to platform 10 and ¾s, judging by previous trips the entrance to one of the subways would be near the door (and I was right, as it only took a minute to reach platform 10A). I walked all the way to Maryland (or what it felt like) in order to be in the front unit of the next Southend Victoria service (the theory being the front unit would be quieter).
Winner
321333 rolled in and my theory was correct as it was easy enough to locate a seat in the motor coach (where else would I sit?

) for the fast run out towards Shenfield, slowing right down to a crawl after Brentwood due to congestion (Im guessing the temporary loss of the Southend dive-under line due to the rebuild at Shenfield causes delays with services towards Southend (and Southminster) having to cross the London bound line on the flat). Anyways once off at Shenfield, I walked back in the snow [had I previously mentioned it was snowing?] to grab the ID of the middle and rear as 321352 and (the ex-GN) 321419 [they look good in plain purple].
10 (or so) minutes later the next Southend service arrived, with 321429 leading winner
321337 with 321327 on the rear to become my 3rd winner of the evening to Billericay, with another short wait before winner number 4 got entered into my log with
321315 leading 321420 & 321354 to Wickford, quickly jumping back to Billericay on duds 321336/321314 for a short wait as the next required 321 should be 30 minutes behind 315, so I took shelter in the Car park exit (the barriers being wide open for that extra bit of revenue protection) as 321422 rolled in with 321316 in the middle and winner
321365 on the rear. Another unit into the book and I was feeling happy as I alighted at Wickford, and took a seat as I knew another required 321 was due into Shenfield from Clacton in around 45 minutes. The first service was from Southend and was dud, which I turned down in exchange for the units from Southminster which was falsely advertised as being formed of 4 coaches (it was 8 coaches), which got me in the wrong place as I took a seat on 321341 back to Shenfield where it terminated (with announcements from the platform staff that this train is not in public use, please do not board this train, probably easier when it used to terminate on platform 5 away from the crowds.
On the rear was an unexpected bonus, winner
321317 making it 6 winners of the evening. A quick visit to the nearby Co-Op to acquire something to munch on, and I returned to the station, noting that how different it felt with no 315s ticking over, as I located the little waiting room which featured a couple comfy sofas (and padded seats). Although with the arrival of the next service from Southend soaking up the passengers, one left their suitcase in the waiting room which caused the few people remaining to be kicked out as a member of BTP was called to deal with the security alert. I wasnt out in the cold for long before winner 7 rolled in,
321349 leading 321359, back into the motor coach for the run back to Liverpool Street. Only 4 more 321s remain which Im quite pleased about, 303/304/448 which I believe are currently at Doncaster, and 321344.
At Liverpool Street I decided to head towards the westbound sub surface line with a dud S7 coming in first, which I turned down as the headlights of the following S8 were visible in the tunnel, as winner
21003/21004 rolled in to take me to Baker Street. You could probably guess what was in my mind as I headed to the southbound Jubilee platform turning down the first service before boarding duds 96125/96126 for the fast run to Waterloo (mmm 96 motor noise at high speed). Once more I exited LU and headed to the outside world, to locate a seat on the 21:20 service towards Yeovil Junction formed tonight of 159001 leading 158888 with a fare dodger getting caught after Clapham Junction (I have no idea where he was going but got charged £40-odd for an anytime single, the guard wasnt having any excuses and refused to apply the railcard discount.
I alighted at Grateley with a short walk home to sort out my bag for an early start for the Saturday, but I was very happy with scoring 7 out of my last 11 today, my most wanted super-six has been restored to 6 units.
---------------
11th February A trip to the West Midlands
The idea of today was a lazy day trip to the West Midlands, mainly to get the new Bromsgrove station into the book and for a brief tram/unit hunt, so compared to previous Saturdays it was a return to an early start and potentially could be an early finish. The light snow from Friday evening had settled so it was an interesting walk to the station trying to avoid slipping over on the pavement, but I made it in plenty of time for the 05:59 to sneak into the station. I was happy as it was 159012 which is my lowest mileage 159 for the run to Basingstoke, spent finishing reading the latest issue of Todays Railways.
After randomly turning down the unit on the GWR Reading service (cant remember why), it was a short wait before dud 220034 rolled in, as I took my reserved seat in coach D, I couldnt help noticing that a lot of the seats were showing reserved from Oxford, so I had time to relax for the run to Reading, reversing in direction for a speedy run towards Didcot, turning right onto the Oxford line, the usual delay before arriving into Oxford as a turbo terminated and headed into the sidings, where as expected the train got quite busy.
15 minutes later I bailed at Banbury for a short wait before 168219 & 168107 rolled in (I preferred it when this service was a 168+172) for the slow journey northbound, giving a wave to Quinn (and I assume Nat) at Leamington where they were awaiting their late running 68 service towards London, it wasnt soon before we were held at Tyseley for a late running 172 from the other line to go ahead, as we terminated at Snow Hill a minute or two late. A quick hop upstairs via the wide-open gateline and my Daytripper was issued without any issues from the ticket office before I returned to the platform as 172340 rolled in on the next Worcester bound service which I took to
Rowley Regis. Rowley is one of those stations I have visited in the past but had no record of my visit due to poor note taking when I first started in 2014.
A quick walk over the road bridge and down to the other platform for a short wait as DVT 82302 arrived with dud 68015 on the rear to take me back to Moor Street. Sadly I didnt spot Mr Quinns friend [the pulse guy who talks rubbish], but how much I want another fast run with a 68 (as the route from Rowley towards Moor Street is very slow, even with skipping Jewellery Quarter). On route I had managed to gather from Twitter that my final 390 was hanging out of Manchester (boo), but my final LM 170 was on Shrewsbury services and 350105 was doing its usual avoidance of London on Crewe services, which got me thinking about a plan of interception (made easier when I found out which service it was due out of Crewe on!). For lack of a better idea I joined duds 170502 & 170510 on the next Shrewsbury service, taking both 170s over 10 miles on the run to Wolverhampton, where I hung back with a busy looking 350/1 taking up most of the passengers from Liverpool, a pair of Voyagers arrived from Scotland as winner
170632 rolled in.
I was happy as it meant the sub-class had finally been cleared for my last LM 170 (leaving 4 Scottish examples to clear the class). A short run back to New Street I got the news that my favourite 350 was on the 12:XX departure from Crewe, a quick work on RTT formed a rough plan to intercept it at Nuneaton with a purchase of a Bedworth Rugby day return (along with a Coventry Arena Bedworth single to plug the gap) which turned out to be cheaper than a Coventry Milton Keynes day return. Anyhow once at New Street I had around an hour to go tram hunting, so after IDing the 1st tram as dud 20, with the 2nd tram as another dud, I headed to Tesco to pick up food for an early lunch returning to the tram stop wasting time purchasing my tickets for later on (and picking them up).
Eventually winner
17 rolled in, and when it returned from the usual reversing move I noted another required tram rolling in alongside. I was lucky to make the connection onto winner
27 at Bull Street as the conductor ran out of paper roll for the ticket machine and wanted to grab a spare roll from that tram. I bailed a few chains later at Corporation Street, crossing the road as winner
37 rolled in to take me back to Bull Street, where I took a seat, with one eye on the clock I decided to bail onto dud 31 back to Grand Central, working out that I still had 3 (or 4) unknown trams out to play on the 8 minute frequency, but I had more important things to deal with as I took a seat on 221118 (leading 221115) on the next service from Scotland to Coventry.
I had my fingers crossed as the dogboxes from Nuneaton rolled in, but sadly it was 153366 & 153356 to take me the 10 miles to Nuneaton (dog box thrash!) where I had around 30 minutes to kill before the next service from Crewe arrived, so I popped out to Asda to have a look at some bits and pieces. After that little trip I headed to platform 5 and settled down to await the arrival of the 350 from Crewe, my fingers and toes were crossed as in rolled
350105. Woohoo x 105, the bugger had finally fallen, the 350s have been cleared. As an extra bonus I even got a seat for the 14 and a half mile run to Rugby, where I decided to be naughty (slap my hand if you can work it out) and jumped onto late running 390008 back to New Street (as it saved waiting around 25 minutes for the next London Midland service which was one which called at most stations from Coventry to New Street).
Once at New Street, I had around 25 minutes before the next Hereford service was due to depart so I headed outside walking to Corporation Street jumping onto dud 17 back down the hill, knowing that it would be 37 up next followed by 27 it wasnt worth hanging around, so I went down to take a seat on a busy 170503/170513 on the next Hereford. A ticket check took place between New Street & University, the guard happy with me using a ticket from Alvechurch to Bromsgrove (well changing at University is pretty much the only way to go from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove at the moment). I alighted at the new
Bromsgrove station with a 30 minute wait before the next service back to the big city, I popped to the nearby Co-Op for a pasta salad.
As for the station itself, it be a bit bleak with small waiting shelters at the bridge end (and smaller ones at the other end), the returning 170 was delayed waiting for a late running HST to zoom past, before 170635 rolled in to take me back to New Street, the delay meant it had missed its path after Kings Norton so was caught behind a stopper. After arrival I decided on a rough exit plan, but first I had some unfinished business with the trams, so it was to the tram platforms at Grand Central for the slightly unusual sight of being no trams in sight. An announcement was made that the next tram would be departing from platform 1 as a late running 17 rolled in, the driver changing ends and using the crossover located at the Corporation Street end of the platform [probably a rare move!] as I sat back and relaxed on the run on the former GWR line to Wolverhampton.
My eyes were on the trams heading towards Grand Central and when I saw tram 31 I knew I was in unknown trams and bailed at Kenrick Park. My theory was correct and my 2nd last tram,
30 rolled in to take me to Winson Green Outer Circlee, crossing over to board 27 back to Handsworth Booth Street. My fingers were crossed but 100% clearance wasnt to be as it was dud 19 back to Winson Green Outer Circle. Dud 35 took me to the Hawthorns and the return of tram 20 meant I had seen all the trams out, leaving 28 as the only tram left.
Swinging via the Bull Ring to visit a couple shops, before I headed over to Moor Street, where I decided I had enough 168/170 grumble already so it was onto mega-superdud 165014 for the run to Leamington Spa, scoring the Dorridge Up Passenger Loop as a XC service overtook the 165 before it arrived into Dorridge, where thankfully some football fans alighted and the train returned to peace & quiet for the run to Leamington Spa. I had previously noted that the next London Marylebone service was a pair of 168/3s, so it was onto dud 168324 leading winner (as a 168/3)
168321 to Banbury (wasnt as bad as I was expecting) where I alighted from the train and sat back to relax to await the next Bournemouth service.
Once more it wasnt as bad as expected as low mileage (Southampton Central Southampton Airport) 221122 rolled in and it was easy to locate a table in coach B for the run towards Reading along the relief lines diving under the flyover to come up into platform 8 before a fast reversal to take me back to Basingstoke. In the 30 minutes I had at Basingstoke I visited Tesco Metro for some supplies, made use of the TVMs to pick up some tickets for April time before waiting for the 20:38 back towards Salisbury. 159012 found itself into my book for the 2nd time of the day, as I bailed at Andover to collect my car (which I had left on the Friday night), giving her a good run heading back home (as I could feel her needing a good speedy run to clear the rubbish from the DPF).
The highlight for me today was clearing my 350s, plus getting that 170 means the only unit left with London Midland is the Bletchley hating 153365. Getting 4 out of my 5 remaining trams was also a big brucie bonus as well. A couple random pictures:
Grateley in the (very light) snow:
An unknown XC HST dashing through Bromsgrove:
A random crossover on the Midland Metro:
Next week sees a return to the West Midlands, this time behind a 67, with an overnight stay in London on the Friday. I feel like a 700 hunting session coming along unless 321344/387225 are out to play (with keeping an eye out if those other 321s re-enter service in the meanwhile.