7th January A trip to Manchester
For my 1st weekend trip of January I had decided to head up to Manchester for lack of a better idea (3 months ago), and for the first time of the year it was a short walk to the station for the 05:27 which today was formed of a quiet 159009 for the run towards Waterloo, spent reading the latest issue of Todays Railways to pass the time in the darkness.
Once at Waterloo, I headed straight towards the underground, going down the stairs due to the middle escalator being out of order. It was to the Northern line platform with a dud set up first which I turned down for the following service formed of winners
51610/51611 for the trip to Euston, coming out of the underground firing up RTT to check mainly what platform the 07:35 Manchester was due to depart from, and also to check something I had noticed when reading the newspaper that Man Utd were at home in the FA Cup, which meant I could hopefully get a slight annoyance out of the way
Anyhow, it was platform 14 for the 07:35 formed of dud 390156 (which going by my records Ive only had once before from Carlisle to Haymarket in May 14 on my Freedom of Scotland adventure), and it was a very quiet service (at least judging by the number of available seats in coach C), straight down the WCML pausing at Milton Keynes before non-stop to Crewe, daylight had arrived bringing with it some thick fog which would burn away as the day went along. After Crewe it was onto the Manchester line and unusually I stayed on board all the way to Piccadilly station itself, rather than bailing at Stockport.
I had put a request into the TOPS request thread to see if my last Northern 150s/153/156s were due to be working in the Manchester area, getting a result for one of the 150s being on Chester services, similarly one of my last 3x 175s was due later in the afternoon and my last 9-car 390 was also on Manchester/Euston services. I hadnt asked for my remaining Northern 158s as it gave me something to look out for later in the day at Victoria if I wanted to, the focus for the next hour or so would be on the trams, so it was downstairs to a busy Metrolink platform (with members of staff selling pre-printed tickets to Old Trafford to avoid queues at the TVMs).
My moves for the next hour were:
3029/
3036 to Piccadilly Gardens
3086 to St Peters Square
3050/3054 to Piccadilly Gardens
3023 to Piccadilly
3067 to Piccadilly Gardens (as a positioning move to get away from the crowded platform)
3094 to Piccadilly
3072 to Piccadilly Gardens (similar to 3067)
3111 to Piccadilly.
I exited the metrolink platforms to head back upstairs to the main station, being careful as the floor was very slippery, the angled travelator was lethal, made worst by not actually running (later in the day it was blocked off with passengers wanting access to platforms 13/14 having to use the stairs. Onto platform 14 and I was expecting the worst, but 323230 was on the platform and around 66% loaded, easy enough to grab a seat in the front coach for the near 3 mile run towards
Manchester United Football Ground, my first shack of the year.
Exiting the basic platform at the rearmost exit (as the other exits lead directly into the stadium it seems) into the concourse, where it was operation escape Old Trafford, with a short walk towards the other Old Trafford, this time the cricket ground, where it had started to rain. I purchased my single ticket back to the city zone (I was on a basic GM Rail Rover which was only valid on the trams within the city zone) and jumped on dud 3006 to Trafford Bar, before taking up a seat to see what was coming up from the Airport or East Didsbury. I wasnt there for long before winner
3108 rolled in attached with 3101 to take me to Cornbrook, where I took up resident for what felt like 45 minutes before the next required tram rolled in heading towards the city (excluding the required trams spotted on the Airport services).
3033 eventually popped up to Deansgate-Castlefield, closely followed by required
3109 to St Peters Square, followed by another short bleak spell before 3059/
3060 took me to Market Street, having to turn down a required tram for dud 3043 to Piccadilly Gardens closely followed by dud 3062 to Piccadilly itself, for I had a date with a certain 150. A short trip upstairs and the next Chester was waiting on platform 12 and it was winner
150113 (leaving just 150149 of the Northern 150s), which I took to Stockport.
I missed a trip there, as I decided to hang around Stockport for the inbound working of the 390, either by not jumping back to Piccadilly and back out for some extra miles, or even remaining on that 150 to Altrincham for extra 150 thrash. Anyhow, the 390 I was waiting for was running a few minutes late (caught up behind a late running XC which called at Macclesfield), and in rolled
390001 to clear my 9-coach 390s (this time properly), just 390128 remains (and that was working a service from Glasgow to Euston before a return trip to Liverpool before a late evening Manchester arriving around 23:00-odd, so not really gettable today). Once back at Piccadilly I picked up a bite to eat from Boots before heading downstairs jumping on dud 3110 to Piccadilly Gardens, where after a couple more trams I decided to walk over to Market Street (I dont know why I didnt board the Bury tram for extra chains).
A short wait at Market Street before winners
3117/3112 took me to St Peters Square, followed by winner
3070 leading dud 3074 took me to Deansgate-Castlefield. Due to the loadings on the city bound trams being slightly busy (the football had finished) I decided to head over to Deansgate station itself (which was very quiet) for duds 156426 & 142009 to the bay platform at Oxford Road, followed up by 158857/158783 to Stockport (nice PIS on 783, and were they USB sockets I saw?). Under the subway and to platforms 3/4 for a short wait before winner
175112 rolled in, my last of the 3-car 175s. Back to Piccadilly, where dud tram 3002 took me to Victoria for a spot of 158 hunting, noting a 158 was on a stopping service to Leeds and a 150 on a semi-fast.
I took up a seat on the Metrolink platform, but for the first 40 minutes my luck wasnt the best (although at this point I only needed 14 trams), but eventually winner
3031 rolled in to take me to Exchange Square. A short walk to Shudehill and after a while I jumped onto duds 3105/3113 to Market Street as the island platform makes life easier. Winner
3042 attached with 3001 took me to Shudehill to take me down to a dozen, with 3012 taking me back to Market Street, eventually calling it a day jumping on 3005 to Piccadilly Gardens to visit the little Tesco Express, before another short fester before jumping on 3080 back to Piccadilly itself.
Very unusually NRE had decided to put me onto a service going via Warrington rather than a direct service to Euston, so it was onto 158863 taking me to Warrington Central for some 158 speed running non-stop after Oxford Road. A short walk (getting a bit lost due to Google Maps Night Mode feature) took me to Bank Quay to be greeted with the message delayed for the final Euston bound service of the evening, eventually flicking over to running 10 minutes late. Eventually low mileage 390124 rolled in, and it was full and standing with football fans. I kicked someone out of my reserved seat and turned my music up to try and drown out the drunken singing of rude songs and other drunken chatter.
The good thing is by the time we had passed Watford Junction we were back on time, catching up with a LM stopper north of Wembley, and it was down to the Northern line platforms, with just under an hour to get to Waterloo and pick up some food. The first Northern line service was dud, but my luck changed with
51546/51708 taking me to Goodge Street,
51528/51529 to Leicester Square & finally
51555/51554 to Waterloo. 3 winners in a row was an added bonus to cap off the day, especially with no queue in McDonalds before taking up a seat on 159001 forming the 23:40 before it got wedged out by prats of Woking. A good trip back to Grateley, followed up by a walk home, reflecting on 3 more winners scored, 8 more 95 stock sets plus 16 trams. Next week is an early morning drive to Westbury to board the Mersey Weaver 2, my first Pathfinder tour in over a year, so hopefully a winning 66 (or 2) will feature on an interesting looking tour of Cheshire.
Some pictures:
My first shack score of the year (plus new track):
323230 waiting for the green signal to head back to Piccadilly:
Tram 3017 waits alongside Tram 3019 & friend for the platform at Piccadilly Gardens to clear