28th December Another spin to London
Staying overnight in London for the Old Father Thames tour on the Thursday (on grounds that it was cheaper than paying for a full-fat Anytime single), I had a day in London on the Wednesday. Similar to the Tuesday I had no real ideas where to go for, and eventually rolled out of the darkness of sleep around half nine (next week is going to kill me trying to get back to work timings), so it was onto the 10:59 service to Waterloo. The TVM still wasnt working, and the platform was quite busy as 159004 and 159020 rolled in, I took up a seat in 020 for the 75-odd minute trip to Waterloo.
Anyhow once in London it was time for some lunch, and flipping a coin in my head I headed to the Waterloo & City line, with 65505/65506 doing the honours for the mile and half trip to Bank, where I walked for a mile and a half to reach the DLR platforms (okay, not quite a mile and half, but you get the point). Anyhow it was time for a good DLR based session, on the search for winners, festering around Shadwell to note any inbound workings to try and capture as they worked back out. My moves were as followed:
01-65-02 to Shadwell
45-54 to Limehouse
31-
30 back to Shadwell
85-92 to Limehouse
81-37 to Westferry
50-
93 to Poplar
76-
32 to All Saints
28-
43 to Poplar
45-54 to Canning Town High Level
105-
151 to West Silvertown (from Low Level)
117-148 to Canning Town Low Level
118-
116-154 to Custom House for ExCeL (before it closes for Crossrail works), 116 being my last B07 DLR unit
16-71 back to Canning Town Low Level
After a couple other dud moves I concluded that apart from a couple services on the Bank Lewisham services I had captured the majority of what was out, so headed over to the Jubilee line with the aim of visiting Stratford to make use of a PNB at Westfield, however before I got there I was North Greenwich bound with 96076 leading winner
96105. Passing a spooky disused room on route to the other platform, with a couple dud services before winner
96097 rolled in with dud 96098 on the rear to take me to Stratford.
PNB completed at a very busy shopping centre, and I was back and located the westbound Central Line with a minute wait before the first set rolled in. I find I need to be top of the game when it comes to Central Line bashing, to ID all 4 sets within the service, and quickly comparing those 4 numbers to the requirements within a few seconds before deciding to jump on. First up was winner
91037 leading duds 92204/92438 with winner
91087 on the rear to Mile End. However before the next Central Line service rolled in required
21491/492 popped up on the opposite platform on a District Line service so it was to Stepney Green.
One more dud S7 later and the next Hammersmith service rolled in formed of duds 21509/510 to take me to Liverpool Street, where after around 15 minutes nothing else appeared which featured on my decreasing S-stock requirement list, so it was down to the Central Line for the following series of movements:
91147-92260-92228-91279 to Bank
91235-92156-
92256-91313 to St Pauls
91223-
92108-92258-91217 to Chancery Lane
91139-92250-
92146-91015 to Holborn
In deciding to have a change of scenery I headed over to the Piccadilly line, where I had a couple double-dud sets, my luck seemed to hold out:
868-
190 to Covent Garden
181-892 to Leicester Sqaure
111-244 to Piccadilly Circus
211-
202 to Green Park.
At Green Park I decided for another change and headed to the Victoria line platforms, which are an island giving view of both northbound and southbound services, on the lookout for a certain pair of services. 6 minutes later
11085-11086 rolled in heading south, so I leapt on board my final Victoria line set for the tiny leap to Victoria itself. Exiting LU to grab some fresh air, I noticed a required 387/2 departing, which gave me an idea for some 387 hunting. With the current timetable it is a service to Gatwick every half hour, so there would be 3 sets out.
The first 2 sets were both triple duds, so to kill time before the 3rd set I headed to the district line where services were running Edgware Road Upminster due to engineering works, a few duds and with one eye on the time I jumped onto duds 21541/542 to St Jamess Park, striking it lucky with winner
21529/21530 back to Victoria. A quick exit of LU and over to platform 13 where my travelcard worked the barriers (my BZ6 Gatwick ticket in my wallet) and I jumped onto the next triple. Winner
387207 was leading dud 387224 with winner
387213 on the rear. I took up a seat in an empty coach on 387207 for the trip down to Gatwick Airport. Ride is so-so at speed, not as good as the 442s.
Once at Gatwick I was going to jump on the next Bedford service, however I spotted a required 700 working down to Three Bridges, so after the next Bedford services were duds (377s) I headed out to the airport itself, passing open barriers (the main entrance barriers were closed), passing the time before returning to platform 1 for winner
700014 to roll in on a Bedford service, which is a semi-fast to East Croydon (so no good speed run on a 700, but god it has good acceleration), taking up a seat in the rear 1st class area to relax back to East Croydon.
An hour spent on platform 7 (interworked with a trip to Sainsburys for some sweets) and I called it a night with dud tram 2561 to George Street to visit the little Tesco for a bottle of water for the next day. Walking back towards East Croydon I headed straight to the Easy Hotel, checking in, getting the same room I had back at the start of the month, but this time doing something clever in removing my card from the reader to shut-off the electric box and its humming.
Anyhow a successful day for me, 10 DLR units into the book, 2 more 96 stocks, 2 more S7s, 8 x 91 stocks, 5x 73 stock, plus my final 2009 stock. Not forgetting 2 more 387/2s plus another RLU 700. Here be a couple pictures of DLR land:
13 & 04 on Poplar depot:
Units at Canning Town:
-------------
29th December Old Father Thames
It was the day of my final railtour of 2017, this being the Old Father Thames tour which was down to cover a couple freight lines which I required, plus some required track in the Clapham Junction area, the route was changed due to a loco ban on the temporary bridge between Lewisham & Nunhead which meant an earlier start from Victoria. Not as early as my previous exits from Croydon but still an early enough start, as a kick in the teeth I had to wait for required tram 2564 to pass before reaching the station for the delayed 07:07(ish) service, which was formed of a cosy 377152 for the run to Victoria, making use of the time to grab a sandwich meal-deal for later (as there would be no breaks on the tour).
The tour was due out from platform 2, with dud 66019 on the rear and dud 66177 on the front, both which worked the Buxton Spring service back in April 2015 (ah well, cant have required locos on every railtour). I was in coach F, right by the door (which could do with some oiling), with 66177 hauling us out of Victoria, onto dud track swinging down underneath the SWML and onto required track as the line split once more and we carried on back underneath the SWML towards Latchmere Junction and onto the West London Line, scoring a micro-grice of the Kensington Olympia through line, pausing to change drivers at Willesden Junction before continuing at a snails pace on the North London Line caught behind a London Overground stopping service.
A brief pause at Stratford to allow passengers to board before continuing on crossing over to join the Goblin line towards Barking (the route taken by the half hourly C2C services), over the flyover and onto the line towards Grays (I think we might have run in a reception line for Ripple Lane, but couldnt be sure), turning off before Stanford-Le-Hope onto my first main track score of the day heading towards London Gateway docks, which featured many giant cranes and containers full of various goodies.
The first reversal of the day and it was back out to the main-line, and into the track at West Thurrock Junction for a 2nd reversal and brief pause before carrying on passing Tilbury Town and onto the former Tilbury Riverside line, passing the site of the former station running to the buffer stocks. Not as impressive as London Gateway, but still a few containers around. Back on the move again, back onto the main-line and towards Grays, passing the station, back out towards Stratford and back onto the North London Line.
Once more it wasnt long before we had caught up with a stopper, but this time we went via the freight line passing the former platform at Caledonian Road & Barnsbury, but it was a slow and steady pace, pausing at Willesden Junction once more where a few passengers alighted before continuing along the West London Line, carrying on underneath the SWML to pause to continue onto the line taken by LO services, which looking at a detailed map means my remaining required track in the Clapham Junction area is the former chord towards Waterloo (used by Eurostar services to access the depot, and now pretty much disused, but like other various little chords will remain uncovered until there is a railtour booked to go that way.
Anyhow, back to the report, never losing my sense of wonder. The tour continued along the LO lines (via the Brixton flyover) crossing over towards the Nunhead line after Denmark Hill for a slow trip via the Catford loop, noting that the 319s stabled in Bellingham sidings had been visited by the local youths with spray paint. An uneventful trip towards Swanley where we were allowed to alight for some fresh air, but couldnt go far before reversing back towards London taking the grade separated junction to the SEML, passing Chislehurst taking the Lee Spur heading out towards Dartford towards Gravesend turning left onto the Grain branch after Hoo Junction. I had previously covered the Grain branch a few years ago so it was dud track for me, but a nice revisit to countryside.
A water stop at Grain to top up the water tanks before heading back along the same way, but now into darkness, one final reversal at Swanley heading back up the Catford loop, caught behind a Thameslink stopper, and hanging around the outside of Victoria for 10+ minutes awaiting for platform 2 to become available, arriving pretty much bang on the arrival time in the booklet. I had a few options on how to get home, so it was over to the Southern side with 377443/377110 taking me to Clapham Junction for a brief wait as the colourful 450 paused on a Basingstoke stopper (looked busy), grabbing a view of the 707s located in the yard.
159002/159011/159017 took me back to Basingstoke where I had a 30 minute wait to grab a pizza (Saturday timetable this week), and noticed it was freezing (the ground that was, the pizza was tasty). 159101/158883 was up next to take me back to Grateley, the end of a successful railtour, two more branches highlighted in the book, with some mild scores in the Clapham Junction area.
66177 at Victoria:
Big cranes at London Gateway:
Former Tilbury Riverside station:
Cranes at London Thamesport in the dying light:
More trains need horses on the side:
--------------
31st December Forgotten Melody
A trip to the West Midlands was on the cards to make a change, making a large note of the last XC services southbound being earlier due to New Years Eve. A request to the TOCS request thread gave me the location of some winners, and a dud pretending to be a winner, so I had a rough plan for the day.
159019 was working the 05:59 service to Basingstoke, where I turned down the GWR 165 towards Reading on grounds of not having a seat reservation for the XC service, which was formed of 220010 for the trip out towards Banbury, grabbing a table seat in coach F (reserved from Birmingham International). A good speedy run on a mostly empty unit (coach F only had myself and another couple passengers in until Oxford), but it was time to change to Chiltern.
168111 & 168001 formed the 08:0X service towards Birmingham Snow Hill, passing 68011 at Leamington Spa (which probably featured Quinn on route to London), but an OK run towards Snow Hill, where I picked up my Daytripper from the ticket office before returning (via the open gates) to board 172332/172212 for my first 172 based move since May, to take me to Smethwick Galton Bridge (as I didnt fancy the tight connection at Rowley Regus).
It was time for some 68 thrash, as dud 82303 rolled in (with dud 68012 on the rear when I IDed it at Snow Hill due to short platforms meant the rear coach was off the platform) for a nice trip to Snow Hill, going via the subway located at the St Pauls end of the station to cross over to the other platform with hybrid 172333 leading 172222 (features one coach from 172338) back to Smethwick Galton Bridge. Where it was a long walk round to platform 4 (as the lift wasnt working) to await the next ATW service. My first winner of the day rolled in with
158820 leading 158840, my final ATW 158 finally into the book, where I turned down my final 350/2 in exchange of 390011.
Which I had down as being required, however due to a typing error earlier in the year when setting up my requirement lists, I must have inputted 011 rather than 001. Mega Doh! Anyhow dud 390011 took me out to Birmingham International with dud 350253 returning me to Birmingham New Street, where after a quick glance around for anything which might have been set swapped, I picked up some lunch before heading to the tram platform for the following moves (the dud trams were just time wasting mileage moves):
24 to St Pauls
36 to
St Chads (also known as the stop formally known as Snow Hill, but renamed on grounds that it doesnt really serve Snow Hill station anymore
22 to Winson Green Outer Circle
26 to Soho Benson Road
20 to Winson Green Outer Circle
29 to Jewellery Quarter
19 to Soho Benson Road
23 to Jewellery Quarter
26 back out to Winson Green Outer Circle
31 to Jewellery Quarter once more
21 out to Handsworth Booth Street
35 to Jewellery Quarter
23 to Soho Benson Road
24 to Jewellery Quarter
Now that tram 24 had returned I made a tight connection to 172214 at Jewellery Quarter to take me to Birmingham Moor Street for a time wasting move, before heading back to New Street, getting a shock when the next Liverpool service said formed of 8 coaches, with 350103 & 350122 being in charge (football in Liverpool?) to take me to Wolverhampton, crossing over the high footbridge to platform 4 as winner
350246 rolled in, my final 350/2 (leaving just 2 more 350/1s to get).
Back to Birmingham New Street, where after a quick look around and shopping trip to see if anything of interest was included in the HMV sale, before heading to Moor Street, with an idea of a Voyager Avoiding Move. 172333/172222 took me to Snow Hill, where I got a good table seat on 168002 for the run up to Banbury, walking over the footbridge to platform 1 where 165121 was waiting on the GWR Oxford service (why do I see these services transferring over to Chiltern at some point in the future?), scoring some micro-gricing south of Banbury giving me some 165 thrash (a much better noise than the noise from a 168) in the former 1st class area.
Running into Oxford platform 1 (the new bay platform, another little score), I turned down a pair of 166s on a fast service, noting 172101 & 168326 on the next Marylebone service. The next Ealing Broadway stopping service was formed of 165119 with 165114 on the rear locked out of use. I remained on until Didcot Parkway, crossing over to the main-line side for my last HST of 2016. Sadly it wasnt one of my last 11 GWR 43s with 43143 leading 43186 for the speedy run to Reading.
Once at Reading I had an issue, there was a late running Bournemouth bound XC due to roll in at the same time as the next Basingstoke stopper was due to depart, so I decided to hang around the rear of 165130 keeping an eye out on the signal, when I saw it go green I jumped on board, but hanging near the door before the familiar sound of bells from the guard signalling to the driver to close the doors and I took a seat for the run to Basingstoke. That 220 was rolling in just as we had departed so a close call, and was behind us by Bramley (after a sub-3 minute turnaround), rolling into platform 4 at Basingstoke a minute or two after I headed to platform 2.
I had finished a good couple hours before I was planning, so my final train of 2016 was the 19:38 departure from Basingstoke to Grateley, formed of City of Exeter 159001. Which looking at my logs was my 1st service from Andover to Clapham on the 10th January (not my first train of 2016 which was 66001, nor first 159 of the year which was 159014 on a Romsey Rocket). Anyhow a relaxing walk home with scoring 2 more units, plus 3 trams, a good end of the year.
Some pictures:
68012 at Snow Hill:
The stop formally known as Snow Hill:
Driving coach from 172338 in 172333:
168326 & 165121 lining up in the Oxford Bays:
I shall try and do a 2016 summary at some point