• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Wow what an excellent haul! :D. Congratulations on clearing the 185s and 323s, not to mention clearing Metrolink for shacks. So very much jealous!

Looking at what you got, I would have scored either 10 or 11 trams if I had done all of your moves on that trip, as you can imagine I really want to go for a Metrolink clearout now!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
28 trams? It was aaaaages ago when I needed 28 trams! :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
Pictures now added :)

55013, agreed there some of the trains from Stockport towards Manchester in the morning were rammed, 185143 tried to get onto a required 220 but couldn't. The worse probably were the 323s from Stoke.

185143, I could probably say the same for my LU requirements against your requirements ;)
 
Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2011
Messages
1,487
You are a braver man than I tackling Manchester on a December Saturday! Kudos on the 185s as well, no mean feat :)
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Well done on clearing Manchester Metrolink, and all remaining diesel units.

I still require the Metrolink track to Ashton-under-Lyne and Rochdale, plus the tiny bit of track that avoids Media City.

That may be a future task for me during the course of 2017.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
Well done on clearing Manchester Metrolink, and all remaining diesel units.

I still require the Metrolink track to Ashton-under-Lyne and Rochdale, plus the tiny bit of track that avoids Media City.

That may be a future task for me during the course of 2017.

Within the Manchester area, I still need:
northern: 2x 150/1, 2x 153, 2x156, 8x158
ATW: 2x 150, 1x 158, 2x 175/0, 1x 175/1
VT: 1x 390/0, 2x 390/1

So still a few DMUs (and Quinn's Pandas) to go.

As for the avoidance track, hit the area at peak time when Eccles services avoid MediaCity
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
10th December – Marches, Moors & late night Diversions

For my 30th birthday my parents decided to treat me going First Class dining on the Marches & Moors railtour, with a 07:09 start from Euston meant an overnight stay in Croydon, having travelled there on the Friday night (and scoring 171201 in the progress on a London Bridge – East Croydon move, to re-clear the class).

Anyhow it was the short walk to East Croydon station for the 05:47 Thameslink to Bedford, today formed of 377515 & 377509 for the usual Thameslink crawl via Crystal Palace arriving into Blackfriars a few minutes early, as usual it wasn’t a busy load and it was easy enough to secure a table seat. Me and my parents alighted at Farringdon and headed over to the Sub Surface Line platform with dud 21533/21534, working a circle line service, taken to Euston Square, with a short walk to Euston itself.

Expecting the ECS for the tour to be already in the station, but it hadn’t left Wembley (rumours of the 90 which was down to haul the tour failing with a replacement located), eventually it rolled in at 07:02, a fast turnaround with the 66 detached from the carriages, as we had a long walk to the front with Coach B. I managed to ID the 90 as required 90018 before boarding in the 1st class carriage. I forgot how better these seats are compared to the standard class bench seating, the armrest is most welcome.

Anyhow, breakfast was served pretty much from the word go, with teas/coffees , with cereal served after Watford Junction, followed by a full English breakfast served before Milton Keynes, where we went into platform 5 for the timetabled looping of a Manchester & Birmingham bound 390s (as we were put into the fasts). Departure from Milton Keynes meant another run with the bread, but enough about breakfast, it was a run on the slows crossing over to the main Weedon line after the former Castlethorpe station before storming towards Rugby for the final pick-up, before turning off towards the Birmingham loop, finally clearing Birmingham International with a non-stop run, turning right after Stechford to head towards Aston and Bescot Yard where the train pulled into the Up & Down goods line for a loco swap.

90018 was detached and winner 60044 attached (although I couldn’t ID the 60 until Wrexham). We departed turning left onto the line towards Wolverhampton, turning left once more to swing via Wolverhampton and onto the Shrewsbury line for a nice gentle potter up towards Shrewsbury passing non-stop via platform 3 and onto the line towards Wrexham, pausing at Gobowen for the level crossing, before coming to a stop at Wrexham General for a chance to get out of the train and go for a walk whilst waiting for a DMU to clear the ‘single’ track section ahead.

Eventually the ATW DMU cleared the single track section and a light lunch of a chunky brown Windsor soup was served as I was crossing my fingers for a non-stop run via Chester, slowing right down to a walking pace before the driver got a green signal and powered away turning left towards the Helsby line heading towards Runcorn East, coming to a stop after the station before continuing along the “freight” lines south of Warrington (so a bit of new track scored, I think), pausing at Warrington for a crew change and onwards via Newton-Le-Willows towards Manchester Victoria.

A rough 10 minute wait at Dean Street junction (where the line from Liverpool joins the line from Salford Central before a slow run into Manchester Victoria, sadly my luck with Chester didn’t hold as we came to a stop on a busy platform 3 before carrying on out of Manchester Victoria, pausing in a loop around Thorpes Bridge Junction for a Leeds bound stopper to overtake, before continuing up the Calder Valley line (which is very beautiful), turning left at Todmoron curve for a non-stop run via Copy Pit to the goods loop behind Blackburn station (yes Accrington was walking pace with that curve). We were due to have a 45 minute wait in the Goods Loop for the carriages to get re-watered from a man in a van. 45 minutes later the water tanks were mostly topped up and we continued the trip westbound terminating at Preston for an hour break.

Although for us in dining, we were asked to be back for 16:50 to allow dinner service to begin soon after departure. Preston was quite busy with policemen for kickball fans and it had started to rain, so we didn’t go that far, just to get some supplies for the trip southbound. Returning to the station, swapping seats (as my mum doesn’t like going backwards) for the only reversal. 90018 was back on the train and 60044 had disappeared, but soon after departure the evening meal service was served. A lovely vegetable soup followed by a Roast Turkey/Beef Christmas dinner (which was lovely) as the train stormed through Wigan. By Warrington Christmas Pudding had been served, with a cheese-board coming soon after Crewe.

The train headed onto the Alsager line, pausing for a late running 156 to clear the single track section before coming to a stop again at Kidsgrove for a late running 390 to clear the junction, running non-stop via Stoke and over the flyover at Norton Bridge (I think, although by that time I was munching my warm mince pie and after dinner mints). A slight pause after Stafford station to allow some late running 390s to storm pass before joining the Trent Valley line for a fast run southbound (although we lost some time north of Nuneaton). Evening meal had finished and after Rugby we spread out, taking over a single table, for the run southbound, some delays to 390s northbound meant a fast run without having to wait at Milton Keynes to be overtaken, although it did mean we caught up with a stopper as the run wasn’t as fast as before, eventually rolling into Euston around 5 minutes late.

A quick decision and I decided we should head to Victoria, as how bad could it be? Answer very bad, the 21:20 Brighton was cancelled, the 21:23 East Grinstead was rammed (no chance at even boarding), the 21:36 Portsmouth & 21:50 Brighton was also cancelled, thankfully the 21:30 Gatwick Express was showing as stopping at East Croydon, so to platform 17 where a pair of 387s were waiting for a driver, 21:30 came and went with the screens changing to “expected 21:45”, a driver eventually was located and the doors were released on dud 387201 leading winner 387224, which was rammed on departure. We got going for a non-stop run to East Croydon, where it looked like most of the train emptied out, as I took my parents back to the hotel room, dropping off some items from my bag before returning to East Croydon.

I had noted that Gatwick Express services were being shown as stopping, the 22:06 (ish) departure was hopelessly late, as a 700 rolled in first (thankfully dud), before the same 377s from this morning before the 22:30 (ish) service formed of winners 387208, 387220 & dud 387210 rolled in for the non-stop run to Victoria (3 more 387/2s into the book on travelcard moves!) Nothing much around Victoria (other than cancelled trains) so I decided to head to the SSL platforms, first S7 was dud, before winner 21503/21504 rolled in on a Circle line service, which was taken to St James’s Park, the next 2 services were dud, but with nothing showing after the 3rd I decided to cut my losses and jump onto 21407/21408 to Westminster.

I was planning to meet up with Techniquest & Blindtraveller at Baker Street, although the problem of LU is no internet signal, and with a guess of their rough arrival time at Baker Street (assuming they stayed on the same service) I had a spot of Jubilee hunting, with 96088/96071 to Bond Street, misreading 96081/96040 (as 020) back to Green Park, before 96052/96079 took me to Baker Street, with a 8 minute wait for the next service, and after waiting round on the platform, I headed to the Met line platforms for a signal. No information so I decided to head to Kings Cross St Pancras on 21471/21472 for the walk to St Pancras (didn’t quite fancy taking my chance at Farringdon), the northbound platform was extremely busy, but with the next service (being delayed) formed of 12 coaches I was expecting a FLU 700 to roll in for the short run to West Hampstead Thameslink.

Nope, it wasn’t a 700, it was 12 coaches alright, but was 377210/377208/377522 (how rare is a trio of 377s on Thameslink these days?), I boarded in coach 12 which was nice and empty (the middle coaches were slightly busy). It was a good bit of Electrostar AC speed and nearly 5 miles later I alighted at West Hampstead Thameslink arriving at the same time at Techniquest & BT for a general catch-up before a key event. For whatever reason I looked up RTT a few weeks ago for Thameslink services via Clapham Junction and noticed that the last two Thameslink services before a blockade of the line via Blackfriars were being sent via Clapham Junction, which meant rare track of the chord between Loughborough Junction & Canterbury Road Junction, plus probably something required around the maze of lines in the Clapham Junction area. Anyhow it was at West Hampstead Thameslink, no information was being displayed for the size of the 23:40 Bedford – Three Bridges, it appeared to be a stopper so we were expecting a 8-car unit, however I was happy with winner 700114 rolling in (Techni wasn’t so happy as it was dud), however it meant the rear end 1st class area was taken advantage off for the long trip.

First time on a decent AC trip on a 700 and blimey these things accelerate hard, and that the platforms at Kentish Town are tiny (when you look down the inside of a 700 with red crosses showing for “doors won’t be released here” on the PIS). However we paused at Farringdon for operational purposes but the doors weren’t released due to the station being closed, and the comparison to DC is amazing, how much more sluggish the 700s feel. A moment of truth at Blackfriars as a couple minute delay before we started moving, crossing fingers as a few minutes later we felt the front of the train moving right as the platforms at Loughborough Junction passed on the left. New track covered, woohoo (which is quite rare as it isn’t even listed as a PSUL move), crossing over to the LO tracks after Brixton and leaving the LO tracks around Clapham Junction to join the “Southern” lines (might be required for me, but I might have covered part of it back in November 14 with a diverted 377 trio departing from the South Eastern side of Victoria).

Anyhow, I’ve just spent 30 minutes looking up random reports from 2014 instead of focusing on the report, it was strange passing Clapham Junction on a 700 (must have taken a few passengers by surprise), but instead of an expected fast run it was a slow crawl down the Brighton Main Line, stopping for what felt like ages outside East Croydon before eventually rolling into platform 2. We alighted from the service and headed to the hotel, as I said farewell and goodnight (at 2am, yes a 21 hour day).

An enjoyable railtour, and interesting experience of being in the “posh” end of the train, add in a good social and an unusual late night diversion, here be a picture of 60044 at Wrexham:



(And in case anybody was wondering, Sunday was a touristy day with my parents in London, mixed with a trip on HS1 to Ashford (and back), sadly no required 395s appeared.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite

Well done on bagging that last 171, something I've yet to look at and may not get a chance now for a while given all the problems on Southern.

The tour sounded good although I know that 60044 is one of the few 60s that I've had. What a great birthday present!

Also the mini tour sponsored by Thameslink sounded good even though it turned up one of my stalker 700s. The other odd bit of track that that move does is Longhedge Junction - Pouparts Junction - Clapham Junction
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
Kite

Well done on bagging that last 171, something I've yet to look at and may not get a chance now for a while given all the problems on Southern.

The tour sounded good although I know that 60044 is one of the few 60s that I've had. What a great birthday present!

Also the mini tour sponsored by Thameslink sounded good even though it turned up one of my stalker 700s. The other odd bit of track that that move does is Longhedge Junction - Pouparts Junction - Clapham Junction

Some of that track around Clapham area was probably covered by a trio 377 on diversion from the South Eastern side of Victoria towards Clapham Junction due to engineering works around Battersea Park. 700104 is turning into an anti-stalker as I keep spotting it heading in the opposite direction

I was quite pleased with spotting 171201 on that service, the declassified first class area is quite nice, as I had decided it probably would have been better heading to London Bridge rather than the crowds at Clapham Junction.

My 387/2 scoring within the zones might take more of a back-seat, unless I get news of Gatwick Express calling at Croydon again
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
What a nice thing to do with your family, looked very civilised I must say
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
A very enjoyable birthday present that must have been! Certainly incredibly different :)

It was good to have a quick social with you, thanks for the track which we'd have not got otherwise. Once I found the bed (you know me, you and BT all stay so often we should be noting room numbers by now :lol:) I wasn't far behind in collapsing into sleep myself, think by then it had been very close to 21 hours awake for me too. Now I've realised that, I understand why I was so tired yesterday and today!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
An excellent birthday present there - the skoda certainly isn't my cup of tea (and donuts don't make any noise on passenger trains) but the food certainly is! Congrats on the 171s as well, but a 21 hour day is madness...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
An excellent birthday present there - the skoda certainly isn't my cup of tea (and donuts don't make any noise on passenger trains) but the food certainly is! Congrats on the 171s as well, but a 21 hour day is madness...

It meant scoring a quite rare bit of track (i.e. doesn't have any booked passenger workings, diversions happen as and when required. Similar to the chord between Limehouse & Stratford) so was worth it :)

The Skoda meant ~100mph running, better than ~70 mph running in the slow lines south of Milton Keynes
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,733
Location
West Riding
Great report Kite, I was eyeing up doing that tour for a bit of 60 haulage, but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. Agreed that the Calder Valley is a nice line and 1st class dining on UKRailtours is one of the best possible ways to see this country :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
17th December – Freedom Spirits Day 1

Glasgow here I come, not just for the weekend, but for 5 days of visiting for the first time since January, a trip I’ve been looking forward to be able to relax and hopefully get some more Scottish units and shacks into my book. A plan was made up, remade up when after doing some number crutching meant a Spirit of Scotland 4 in 8 ticket with the current 20% off was slightly cheaper than the day tickets, especially as it meant giving me extra freedom to visit Edinburgh.

An early night was had on the Friday, and I was up walking to the station for the 05:27 service to Waterloo, a very foggy start of the day as 159015 rolled in to take myself to Waterloo, arriving pretty much bang on time, giving me time to grab something to eat for breakfast & a newspaper before heading downstairs to the Northern Line. No real time to do hunting this morning so it was onto the first service formed of 51633/51634 to Euston, once above ground I fired up RTT to give me an idea where the 07:30 Glasgow Central service was (and I can’t remember right about now which platform it did go from), but RTT was correct as I made my way down the ramp, passing the ticket inspectors to board dud 390006, seat 62 in coach E was my seat (one of those where there is elbow room).

390006 was dud, but becomes probably my 1st 390 to clock over a thousand miles, I had an annoying person sat next to me who took over the central armrest and looked annoyed that he had to sit next to someone all the way. The fog had lifted around Oxenholme where I started to look out of the window, at the rolling countryside, running non-stop after Carlisle via some beautiful countryside and hills, spotting my first 320/4 in the Newton area as the train started to slow down for the usual Cambuslang crawl, but a right time arrival into Glasgow Central at pretty much mid-day. My first order of business was already taken care of the week before with my Spirit of Scotland ticket, with the date marked so I was good to go, the first aim was the shacks from Pollokshaws West towards Stewarton, so after grabbing a meal-deal from Boots I headed over to see what was on the East Kilbride service for a linear hop to Pollokshaws West if it was required.

Dud 156496 was leading winner 156507 for my first winner of the day for the 3 and a quarter mile hop to Pollokshaws West where I had a 10 or so minute wait before winner 156505 rolled in on a Barrhead stopping service, the first time I believe I have called at the three stations (and maybe even Barrhead). My first shack score of the day was at Nitshill, where I know you could walk back to Priesthill within the time, but with my bag and due to timings (as only 1 train an hour towards Kilmarnock strangely calls at Barrhead, the other service runs fast to Dunlop). Anyhow nothing much to report around Nitshill other than a large hill full of rock salt, before fresh dud 156505 returned to take me to Kennishead making the tightish connection by use of the footbridge.

Next Barrhead stopper was a pair, but sadly both duds to take me to Barrhead itself, scoring the bay platform with 156511 & 156436. Swapping units for the short wait as a late running service from Kilmarnock rushed through before heading out to Priesthill & Darnley, which isn’t the easiest station to get between platforms as it involves a footbridge set back from the station itself. I was expecting to see 156505 returning but it was dud 156494 for the short run back to the Barrhead bay platform, where I headed under the subway to the Kilmarnock bound platform. 156496 was the unit in charge for the 9 mile run along the single track section towards Dunlop, where I had a 30 minute fester (the trains pass each other between Dunlop & Stewarton, and the next Glasgow service was non-stop and was annoyingly required 509, the following service would have been the return of 156496).

25 or so minutes later 156507 decided to make its second appearance into my logs for the day to Stewarton where I had a 25 minute (or so) fester before 156508 rolled in from Carlisle to storm back towards Glasgow Central, just missing out on a pair of winners heading towards East Kilbride. The next job for me was to check into the Euro Hostel, staying here previously in 2015 so I knew the way to go; handing over £74 for a 4-night stay in central Glasgow in December was a bargain for a single room. Anyhow, I dropped off my bag and some other stuff before heading back out into the night to have a fast walk towards Queen Street (as fast as you can walk in the crowds of Glasgow city centre on a Saturday before Christmas!). I arrived in good time, and ahead of my schedule, so turning down a 334 working towards Cumbernauld before duds 334010/334012 took me to Garrowhill on a delayed Edinburgh service.

A short connection here was made with 334021 working back to Shettleston, making a note of another late running Edinburgh service giving a reasonable connection. A good decision as the next Glasgow bound service was dud 334026 leading winner 334032 (clearing the class) for the bus stop leap to Carntyne. Across to the other platform for a longer than expected wait before delayed 334022/334027 rolled in to take me to Blairhill, making a connection with 334002/334038 back to Easterhouse to clear the Bathgate line a good 30 or so minutes ahead of schedule. I was happy as dud 318267 rolled in to take me to Partick, with a couple options to take me to Dalmuir, the 1st wasn’t required, but the 2nd was required 320414 leading 318260 to make my start with the former London Midland 321s in their new home. A hop to Hyndland was in order to await the Dalmuir service behind which went via Singer and unusually formed of 334036.

The next service towards Balloch was dud so I remained on the platform for the last Oban/Mallaig train of the evening, which tonight was formed of a trio of duds in the shape of 156493/156492 & 156465, with it being local door only due to the platform not being long enough for a trio of 156s. Sadly I couldn’t see the beautiful West Highland Line as I bailed at Arrochar & Tarbet for a 30 minute fester (thankfully there is a covered waiting area) before winners 156447 & 156485 took me back to Dumbarton Central to score a micro-grice from platform 3 with 334036 on a Cumbernauld stopper back towards Hyndland via Yoker, making a note of a required 318 being spotted heading to Dalmuir. One advantage of Hyndland is the island platform, one disadvantage is being able to ID the rear units of a double due to the unit numbers only being one sided.

A double duds later before winner 320413 entered my books (attached with dud 320310) to Scotstounhill to intercept 318263 coming back from Dalmuir. I alighted once more at Hyndland and wasn’t there for long before winner 320411 rolled in attached with dud 318250 to take me to Anderston, where I managed to hop onto late running winner 320415 back to Exhibition Centre (which now features barriers so you need to be at the rear to get across the other side of the island platform. I decided to head back to Glasgow Central on dud 318253 to see what was coming back the other way. Sadly that was dud, but in a way it was good as next up was dud 320321 leading winner 318261 to take me to the Scottish Cave, otherwise known as Argyle Street. Wanting to call it a night I headed back to Glasgow Central on 334036 before heading to the hostel to rest my eyes after a long day.

11 required units, plus 11 new shacks, clearing the “Roundabout” area, but before I headed back to the hostel I picked up a Daytripper scratch-off ticket for the Sunday, to save some time in the morning as I wanted to be on the first train out.

Some pictures:

156505 departing Nitshill:


Kennishead:


Presthill & Darnley (the footbridge is in the background)


Barrhead:


Dunlop:


Stewarton:


Arrochar & Tarbet:


334036 looking lost at Glasgow Central Low Level:


-------------

18th December – Freedom Spirits Day 2

The focus of today was on the Inverclyde line out of Glasgow Central, with a couple towards Stranraer. I was out of the hostel in time for the 07:20 Glasgow to Gourock service (the one which skips Fort Matilda), which I believe is the first departure from Glasgow Central on a Sunday. Anyhow it was in the hands of 314212 for some early morning 314 thrash, getting some early morning Inverclyde air at every stop with the automatically opening doors. I took this 314 nearly to the end of the line, alighting at Greenock West, with my phone set for the short walk up the hill to visit Drumfrochar on the Wemyss Bay line.

10 or so minutes later 314211 rolled in for the near 5 mile run to Inverkip. A nice enough station, and it wasn’t long before 314211 returned from Wemyss Bay where I had a good idea and bailed at Branchton for a short fester before 314208 arrived to take me to the I.B.M. Halt, although it appeared the access into the business park has been blocked off and any workers have to walk alongside the fence to enter at the front. Anyhow it wasn’t that long of a fester in the warm December morning before 314208 returned to take me to Whinhill to clear the single track (with passing loop) branch line. Google Maps was fired up for the walk down the hill, passing underneath what appeared to be an old railway bridge to reach Greenock Central.

I was happy when the next Glasgow service was formed of dud 380005 leading winner 380012 as it meant a quick dash to the toilet for the speedy run to Woodhall, doubling back to Port Glasgow on dud 380011 for a short 20 minute fester for 314211 to take me to Paisley Gilmour Street, at the same time as my original plan but being 2 shacks ahead of myself at this point. It was over to the Ayr bound platform for the next Ayr service, formed of duds 380110 & 380009 for the fast run down the coast line to reach Ayr itself.

The station on my hit list next normally is something like a +80, apart from a couple services on Sundays which pass there instead of the more usual Girvan. Once at Ayr it was a hop over the footbridge to reach platform 3 to board dud 156496 heading towards Stranraer, moderately busy emptying out a tad at Maybole, as I continued south down a rather pretty line to reach Barrhill, the other service was already in the platform so it was a quick hop via the barrow crossing to board 156467, the connection being held due to the drivers & signaller having to exchange the tokens for the single line sections. There isn’t much around Barrhill to speak off, but as I settled down to head back to Ayr I had a couple options, either catch the next Glasgow service to Troon and back to Ayr, or walk to Newton on Ayr to intercept the Ayr bound service there.

My mind was made up with winner 380107 taking me to Troon, with a short wait before 380110/380009 got their 2nd entry into my book for the day taking me back to Ayr, and then back onto dud 156467 for the run back down south to Maybole. A nice enough town with several shops on offer to purchase food from, before I returned to the single platform (evidence of the former 2nd platform is there, overgrown with the access from a footbridge blocked off. 156467 returned from its trip to Stranraer to take me back to Ayr, where I quickly visited Poundland for a pair of new earplugs (as my previous pair decided to only work on one plug, so even a £1 set was better than nothing).

Once back onto the station it was onto dud 380010 leading winner 380002 to take me up the line to Irvine where the connection is very tight, however I managed to pull it off with the next Ayr service being a minute or so late, formed of 380112 I alighted at Barassie the junction station where the line towards Kilmarnock branches away with a former platform on that side of the station. After a quick look around it was over the footbridge to await the return of fresh dud 380107 to put it into the cleared for 10 miles book back to Paisley Gilmour Street (how I do like the 380s for their interiors and acceleration), once I alighted at Paisley it was a cross platform interchange for the next Gourock service. I was happy with dud 380011 to take me nearly to the end of the line at Fort Matilda

A very basic station and a short wait for 380011 to return from Gourock to take me to Langbank a station which had a tight +3 on a Sunday, however with thanks to Techniquest who gave me hints I made it over to the other platform with time to spare for 380014 to take me to Cartsdyke, with Google Maps fired up to show me the way back to Bogston, deciding to go via the housing estate rather than along the main-road, heading over the Wemyss Bay line before coming back alongside it on an old road before nearly hitting my head on a low bridge going underneath to reach Bogston station itself, my final one on the line.

380014 took me back to Glasgow Central, where somehow I had arrived 2 hours ahead of schedule, my eye was drawn to a trio of 156s heading to East Kilbride. Duds 156436 & 156510 was leading winner 156446 to take me to Pollokshaws West. It was a pair of units was up next from Kilmarnock which I turned down because they were both dud. Sadly I wasn’t rewarded with anything required as duds 156501/156502/156434 took me to Crossmyloof, followed by 156495/156507/156513 to Giffnock, intercepting the return of 156446/156510/156436 from East Kilbride. I was about to call it a night before I noticed a certain 320 sat on the blocks with RTT suggesting would form the next Motherwell bound service.

RTT was correct as after grabbing some food I boarded dud 320311 leading winner 320301 my final original 320 to Cambuslang. After a couple dud services were spotted I headed back towards the city centre on 318257/320318 going non-stop through both Argyle Street (complete darkness apart from the PIS screens) & Anderston to Exhibition Centre, where I seemed to have hit the kicking out of a musical event, oops. Taking a low profile and turning down the 1st service as the next was a few minutes behind, it was onto duds 318258 & 318259 back to Glasgow Central Low Level, the end of a good day.

Some pictures:

One of Quinn’s favourite EMUs departing Inverkip ;):


Daylight is here at last:


IBM, I wonder what the station code is ;)

Greenock with the river (beautiful in the night time with all the lights on)


Woodhall:


Barrhill:


The beast of 156467 at Ayr:


Maybole:


314211 at Paisley Gilmour Street:


Bogston:
 
Last edited:

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Excellent report Kite, I love going out on the rails in Scotland. I haven't had 156467 yet, but it sounds like I'm going to enjoy travelling on it. :)

Merry Christmas Kite. :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
Merry Christmas to you as well 507021 :)

19th December – Freedom Spirits Day 3

As I was using a Spirit of Scotland rover, it isn’t valid until 09:00 (or was it 09:15?) unless you are travelling on some lines (Far North, Kyle, West Highland etc), so not to have much in the way of unproductive time I was up by 04:50 for the short walk over to Queen Street High Level, for the first time since the blockade and it appears Network Rail have done a good job. Anyhow my service was the 05:20 Oban service; you can probably guess where I was heading to. Sadly it was dud 156447 to take me to the dud shack of Helensburgh Upper for a 30 minute fester before the sleeper.

Thankfully there is a little shop located over the road which do a quite good range of rolls, and newspapers, so I had a very un-breakfast like Tuna roll when sitting reading the newspaper as 66740 rolled in with required 73970 behind to provide power to the coaches (I can hear Quinn screaming now ;)). I took a seat in the seated carriage, which was freezing cold (an old Intercity livery coach), however I was only on board for one stop to Garelochhead. A nice little island platform where services run on the right hand side, got quite busy with commuters (I assume) ready for the first service towards Glasgow which was formed of winner 156445.

This service calls at Cardross, Singer, Maryhill & Possilpark & Parkhouse, but it is one of only two services which do not call at Dalmuir (the other being a Helensburgh Central – Springburn which runs fast from Dumbarton East to Partick. Anyhow I placed it safe and remained on board all the way to Glasgow Queen Street, and the guy on the gateline took one look at my ticket and allowed me to pass. With some time to kill I headed to Tesco for some supplies before heading over to Glasgow Central, where my memory didn’t help (since I found out it was 09:15 the rover was valid from), as the gateline person allowed me to board the 09:04 Ayr stopping service formed this morning of dud 380020 to my 2nd new shack of the day at Lochwinnoch.

Over the road bridge and a short wait before dud 380111 rolled in for the short run back up towards Glasgow to Howwood, another road bridge shack but I made it easily to the other platform for 380104 to take me to Glengarnock, remaining on the same platform as 7 minutes later a Largs bound service was due to take me to Kilwilling formed of 380001. I crossed over to the other platform face of the central island platform for the next stopper from Ayr, noting a required 380/1 spotted on the Ayr bound. 380019 rolled in to do the honours to take me to Dalry, where I had a choice of two services, the first was Ayr bound and was dud, the 2nd was bound for Ardrossan Harbour, again sadly dud 380115 to take me to Kilwinning.

Over to the Ayr bound platform, for the next fast service formed of 380010 to Prestwick International Airport, crossing over to the other platform (Jesus this station could do with some TLC, things rusting away like there is no tomorrow), the reason was to intercept winner 380105 back on a bus stop leap to Troon. A short wait before 380110 took me to my final Ayrshire Coast line shack at Newton-on-Ayr with another short wait as a basic shack, old coal wagons nearby rusting away. My wait wasn’t for long before 380002 completed the trip to Ayr, where I had some time to kill so I had a wonder round the town for 15 or so minutes.

Once back on the station, the next Glasgow service was dud so I gave that a miss, waiting for 156474 to roll in from the south (noting 156509 was on the Girvan short workings) to take me to Kilmarnock pausing briefly at Troon. A short wait at Kilmarnock before dud 156494 rolled in from Carlisle to take me to the single platform shack at Kilmaurs for a short wait with duds 156467 & 156462 back to Kilmarnock and as a time wasting mileage move 156462 back to Kilmaurs (156467 would form the next Glasgow bound service as the next one from Glasgow carries on to Carlisle). The next Carlisle bound service was dud 156505 for the mileage move to New Cumnock, which features a goods loop behind the Carlisle bound platform, a grumpy old man who was moaning that the guard didn’t open the doors straight away and a long ramp to a road bridge to cross over. The shacks between Kilmarnock & Carlisle gets an odd service pattern, apart from Saturdays where Dumfries to Carlisle gets a short working 156 giving those 3 stations a rough hourly service.

Anyhow, I wasn’t at New Cumnock for long before 156512 took me to Glasgow Central, where I had news that a required 320/4 was due to pass underneath in the next 10-or-so minutes, so it was to the Low Level platform, checking the progress and thankfully it was only a minute late at this point so to the underground cave known as Argyle Street on dud 318266 to await the 2 minutes delayed 320412 attached with 320314 back to Glasgow Central, where I had 5 minutes to get across to platform 2 for the next Edinburgh via Shotts stopping service. I leapt onto a busy 156478 (otherwise known as Noah’s Ark). Thankfully emptied out by Holytown allowing a chance to breath as I alighted at Hartwood.

Pretty much nothing around Hartwood in which to report, even the shelter is rubbish as it had no walls. I was happy when dud 156514 rolled in to take me back one stop to Cleland with the promise of a double unit. Sadly it was duds 156501 & 156502 to take me to Shotts with the world’s longest ramp to exit the platform, going via bridge works to eventually access the other platform for 156495 to take me back to Glasgow Central, where I had news of another 320/4 working so it was back downstairs with 318265/320309 doing the 28 chain hop to Argyle Street for a short wait as 320306 rolled in, along with winner 320417. One more to go to clear the class (416) which was good news, I was made happier with the appearance of winner 380103 on the next Ayr service to take me to Ayr for a 2nd time of the day.

Sadly 156509 escaped me once more, however the appearance of required 156450 was more of a suitable replacement for the thrashy run south to Girvan, the train emptying out a lot at Maybole. I changed ends after a couple pictures of the station as fresh dud 156450 took me back to Ayr. 380110 was the next Glasgow bound service, making a note of the ID of the next Glasgow service as being dud, I bailed at Paisley Gilmour Street for a linear hop on a service from Largs, sadly this was dud 380021.

Once back at Glasgow Central, nothing on the station matched my ever reducing requirements list, so after swinging via the Tesco Metro located nearby to my hostel for some more supplies, I headed to bed for it would be another early start on the Tuesday.

Some pictures (beware, pictures may contain 380s ;)):

Lochwinnoch:


How 2 Wood:

Glengarnock:

Dalry:


Newton-On-Ayr:


Kilmaurs:


New Cumnock:


Noah’s Ark at Hartwood:


Bright lights at Cleland:


Massive ramp at Shotts:


Girvan:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I believe Kite refers to 156467 as a beast as 47403 needs it. However as I type that I think it might be 156457 for his last one, not sure now!

An excellent two reads there Kite, what an excellent start to the trip with clearing the 334s and a huge clearout of shacks!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
My previous reply was before I had realised Day 3 was up. I like the 380s too, they turned out great for modern EMUs considering how ugly their front ends are. 395s are superior though!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
Great reports Kite. Around Glasgow is a very interesting area, lots to see and some impressive stations, see what you mean about the ramp though, looks enormous.
Have a good Christmas :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Reading that gave me fond memories from my own Glasgow trip (even if yours wasn't constantly bashing between Patrick and Hyndland). Hell to the 66 - you can't count the ED if it was only providing heat (or lack of it) though! Sounds like a good few days, and I also like the 380s, but not the 314s ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
20th December – Freedom Spirits Day 4

It was another rather early start for me to walk through the empty city centre to reach Glasgow Queen Street, where dud 156465 was on the 05:20 Oban service, it was another mostly empty service with some good noise from the engines, turning left after Crainlarich onto the Oban branch itself pulling into my first shack score of the day, Tyndrum Lower. My torch was in my pocket, high viz jacket on (for it was rather dark once leaving the lights of the station, walking down a hill to reach the main-road, crossing said main-road before walking up a large hill (the road goes up in a S shape to reduce the gradient). You could probably guess what was at the top of that hill, yep the island platform of Upper Tyndrum.

Giving me chance to get my breath back, and relaxing as winner 66733 rolled in hauling the Fort William sleeper, with dud 73970 attached on the rear (the day before and in September it was sandwiched between the 66 and the coaches). Anyhow it was another single stop leap on the sleeper to take me to Bridge of Orchy, where night was starting to give up its battle for supremacy. I had around 50 minutes to kill, so I had a wonder down the hill passing a little primary school, community fire station & village hill, passing a hotel to reach a bridge over the River Orchy for some pictures and some relaxation in a very beautiful part of the world.

Eventually I made my way back to the station (looks like it has a hostel in the former station buildings), to await the service from Mallaig, formed of 156477, which was a bit poorly as the driver jumped down to inspect something before returning to the cab. Daylight meant I could look out of the window at a truly amazing line, dropping back south to reach Ardlui where we were meant to pass an Mallaig/Oban bound service. 156477 at this point was around 10 minutes down, however the pair of units (both dud) were even later. I departed the station to have a look at the largest Loch within the UK (Loch Lomond, extends right the way down to Balloch), however there must have been another issue with that 156 as it was stuck at the station for a good 15 minutes (I heard it accelerating away when I was heading back).

The next service towards Glasgow was due to pass that pair at Crainlarich, so it was around 10 minutes down when 156465 returned from Oban, thankfully the signaller put the 156 ahead of a stopping service from Balloch at Dalreoch junction, however it was further delayed before Westerton (due to services having to run on the other line to access the line towards Maryhill), so it eventually rolled into Glasgow Queen Street around 20 minutes late. I had time to grab a meal-deal from Boots before jumping onto the 12:30 Edinburgh service, formed this afternoon of dud Borders Line liveried 170414 for the noisy trip across the central belt to Edinburgh Waverley itself (annoyingly spotting required 158707 working a Fife circle service which if I had caught the 12:15 would have been able to get into the bag). My mission this afternoon was the shacks towards West Calder, to clear the WCML Edinburgh branch. First up was dud 156502 for the 16 and a bit miles (it being the first time calling at the local shacks along this line) to West Calder which has a handy footbridge to reach the opposite platform, although it did look like the footbridge might be getting removed due to the wires coming.

156485 was next up heading to Edinburgh which took me to the good sounding Wester Hailes, which features a large Odeon cinema nearby, plus a subway to get across to the other platform. My time was short (as I’ve heard rumours that this is a rough part of Edinburgh) with 156492 taking me back to Livingston South. Like Livingston North, South is a hard station to get across platforms in a hurry, however I wasn’t in a hurry and had time to visit a nearby Co-Op to get a sandwich for later. 156442 rolled in to take me back eastbound towards Curriehill, with a short wait before my first 158 of the trip rolled in, dud 158730 to Kirknewton, the final shack on the WCML branch line itself.

Kirknewton features a level crossing, which did give me a chance to attempt a picture of a passing 390 at speed before 158712 rolled in to take me to Slateford, and having just missed the next stopper back towards Glasgow I fired up Google Maps for the short mile (and a bit) walk back down the line towards Kingsknowe, another level crossing shack...

...of which the level crossing was closed for upgrade, no access between platforms, a quick fire up of Google Maps highlighted a way back, joining the former trackbed of the Caledonian Line before walking alongside an unknown body of water underneath the railway line to eventually reach the Edinburgh bound platform at Kingsknowe station. A very quiet station (bar someone else getting caught out who was nearly foolish to trespass to reach the Edinburgh platform), but soon 156485 was back from Glasgow to take me to Haymarket.

Nothing required spotted, and turning down a rather busy 170 heading for the Fife Circle in exchange for dud 170475 heading towards Dundee to call at the newest station currently within GB, Edinburgh Gateway. I had some issue with the Tram TVM (only takes exact coins with card payments only for above £3) but eventually I got a single ticket and waited at the tram platforms at Edinburgh Gateway for a couple dud trams, annoyingly I had spotted a couple required trams heading towards the airport but as I had to board within 30 minutes of buying my ticket I had to jump on dud 272 to take me back to Haymarket.

I was at Haymarket waiting for the return of a certain service from the Fife Circle, and in rolled winner 68004 hauling one of the evening peak loco sets (mmm 68 thrash) for the short run to Edinburgh. I had noticed the XC which would form the 21:05 Glasgow – Edinburgh was running late (caused by issues in the South West), however the Glasgow bound VTEC was on time which allowed me to use option 91. Broken up with the appearance of winner 170433 on a Haymarket leap with a short wait before dud 91127 rolled in. I say dud but the only previous time I’ve had this 91 was for a tiny distance from Kings Cross to the tunnels as it was having power issues, before returning to the platform, so a chance to put some decent mileage to Motherwell going via Carstairs. Dud DVT 82206 was at the rear of the set.

At Motherwell it was hit or miss, but eventually the 21:05 Edinburgh departed 10 minutes late, and as expected it was formed of dud 220014, the front coach was pretty much empty on a non-stop run back to Edinburgh. What not even Haymarket I hear you say? That be right, this service avoids Haymarket and goes via the Suburban line to approach Waverley from the east. I was crossing my fingers as I felt the slow down after Curriehill, felt the crossing over into the “Up” line and felt the turning right after Slateford. I was happy as I was expecting for it to go straight to Edinburgh with the delay, but it did cause the other person in the coach to panic a bit as we went on a scenic tour of Edinburgh, although eventually rolling into Edinburgh 14 minutes down, meaning the 22:30 Glasgow Queen Street had already departed.

Nothing else of interest (apart from a late running XC HST which got cancelled at Edinburgh running something stupid like 80 minutes late), so it was onto the 23:00 Glasgow Queen Street service formed of duds 170415 & 170402 which calls at every station towards Queen Street, yes even Edinburgh Park. Eventually we rolled into Glasgow Queen Street on time, I was a little deafer from all the 170 noise accelerating, but my mission for the day was complete, another PSUL move into the book. Needless to say I went straight to bed once back at the hotel, not as an early alarm for the final day thankfully.

Some pictures:
Tyndrum Lower:

Not to be confused with Upper Tyndrum:

Bridge of Orchy:



Views from the Bridge over the River Orchy:



Ardlui:


Loch Lomand:


West Calder:


Wester Hailes:


Livingston South:


Curriehill:


Dusk falling at Kirknewton:


Slateford:


A closed level crossing:

Didn’t stop me reaching Kingsknowe:


Edinburgh Gateway:


68004 at Edinburgh:


A virgin train calls at Motherwell ;)


----------

21st December – Freedom Spirits Day 5

It was my final day in Glasgow (boo!), final day of an amazing trip to recover my mental state after a busy couple weeks at work. I packed up my bags but left my main bag in the hotel room as I had some unfinished business to take care of, mainly the Subway. I handed over my ticket at the ticket office at St Enoch and they gave me a single ticket for the Subway (happy days, as I was expecting to have to pay). I had two shacks left uncovered, the rest of the time spent hunting down requirements using the peak time 4 minute frequency.

103-204-133, St Enoch to Kinning Park
102-202-119 to Cessnock (system cleared and last ‘Light’ Rail shack within GB)
127-129-132 to Ibrox
105-121-107 to Govan
114-128-108 to Partick
Noting the return of the first set I turned down I hopped over to the Inner Circle side
126-208-124 to Govan
110-206-106 to Ibrox
117-123-109 to Cessnock
130-201-101 to Kinning Park (101 in a heritage livery)
113-207-120 to Shields Road
115-205-118 to St Enoch

I departed the system needing 4 power cars, all the trailers had been cleared with 205, however time was ticking and 115-205-118 was the first I saw at Partick so I had covered all the sets on the Inner Circle. I picked up my bag and checked out of the hotel to head back to Glasgow Central, where I was rewarded with stalker 156509 working an East Kilbride service, which I took to Crossmyloof, noting the next Kilmarnock was dud so turning down both services on Barrhead stoppers, I jumped onto 156507 back to Glasgow Central to grab something to eat for later.

The aim of today was to grab my remaining 3 shacks between Kilmarnock & Dumfries, as the other two can be done on a FONW some when in 2017. The next Carlisle service was in the hands of a familiar unit, yep 156507, which would be getting some good mileage today as it would be the service bringing me back to Glasgow Central later on that afternoon. The service was fast to Dunlop, although we had to pause at Barrhead for the single line section to clear, before carrying on, via Kilmarnock onto the line towards Carlisle, arriving at Sanquhar for the lowlands way (wasn’t there another trip reporter based in Sanquhar?).

Anyhow a nice little town, a few shops in which to waste some time and in a rather nice area with rolling hills. I was happy as the next Glasgow bound service was winner 156504 to take me to Auckinleck where I didn’t have that much time to explore my last SPT shack before 156462 rolled in to take me to Kirkconnel. Like Sanquhar this shack is in a very nice area, although I didn’t see much in the way of shops, so I spent the time relaxing before 156507 returned from Carlisle for the fast run back to Glasgow Central. Funny how 156507 was my first 156 of this trip and is my last 156, anyhow I got news that a required 380 was departing on a Largs service, and so I boarded winner 380109 for the run to Paisley Gilmour Street, my final member of the 4-car subclass (just two members of the 3-coach /0s left).

I wasn’t long at Paisley before dud 380014 took me back to Glasgow Central for my last bit of 380 acceleration, before I headed over to see which 390 would be taking me back to Euston on the 16:40 departure. I was happy as it was the forum celebrity, winner 390114 for the 400 miles trip back to Euston, 2 Pandas left ;) I was in my usual seat (C9), got busy at Preston but mostly wasn’t that crowded, a great train manager who checked tickets for passengers when boarding at Glasgow, and also gave connections at Carlisle/Oxenholme/Lancaster/Preston. I spent the time watching some TV on the tablet (for it was dark), arrival into Euston was pretty much on time. First service on the Northern line was winner 51715/51595 which I took to Tottenham Court Road, but the next 3 services were dud and with a 7 minute gap I boarded duds 51620/51619 back to Waterloo.

McDonalds was visited for some dinner, before joining the 22:20 service, formed this evening of 159016 & 159006 to take me back to Grateley, bit sad my trip had come to an end, but I set out what I had planned to do, scoring a lot of required units in the process.

Some pictures of my final day:

Cessnock Subway:


Car 101 at Kinning Park (note the handy island platforms on the stations in these parts)


Sanquahar:


Auckinleck:


Kirkconnel:


Techni’s favourite 390:


--------

22nd December – The Winner Takes It All

I wasn’t planning to hit the rails today, instead I was going to hit them on Friday, however I got news that all the 387/3s had entered service, plus the locations of some of my remaining 465s plus a certain 375, I decided to head to London, with a loose plan in my head. A short walk to the station for the 14:59 which was formed of 5-coaches today instead of the usual 6, for toothy 159103 was joined by 158886 for the run towards Waterloo, arriving pretty much bang on time, maybe even a few minutes early.

I got lucky with the Northern line as I headed down the stairs winner 51637/51721 was just rolling in, for the leap under the river to Embankment where I climbed up the stairs to the Sub Surface Line platform for some linear hops before needing to be at Fenchurch Street for around 17:10. A couple duds up first before 21519/21520 entered my book for a leap to Blackfriars, followed by some more duds before calling it a session with 21423/21424 to Tower Hill, exiting the underground station and walking across to Fenchurch Street, arriving before the ECS had arrived.

In rolled the trio of brand new 387/3s, the first set being formed of 387303/387301/387305 for the short hop to Limehouse, with duds 357323/357312 taking me back into Fenchurch Street, where I had a short wait for the 2nd ECS to roll in, this time it was 387302/387304/387306 back to Limehouse, subclass & TOC cleared. Sadly I wished I could remain on board, but I had a tight connection so it was over to the DLR platforms, just missing a Bank bound service, however the next Bank bound service was a minute or so behind, sadly it was duds 83-44-05 for the short run to Bank, where I attempted to locate the District Line platforms at Monument (hint be at the rear of a DLR set).

I was going to jump on the first service, and I was happy when winner D-stock 7526 rolled in attached with dud 7037 to take me to Blackfriars, where I could relax as I had 5 minutes to reach the bay platforms, with dud 466042 sat attached to winner 465928 on a Rochester service. First stop was Elephant & Castle, where I bailed and crossed over to an Elephant & Castle – Bedford service which was waiting to depart once a 700 on a Bedford fast cleared the line. 319008 & 319421 were the units adding 1 mile & 17 chains to their low mileage figures to take me back to Blackfriars, where I headed back to the underground.

A run of duds meant I had to catch 21463/21464 the short distance to Cannon Street, where winner 465932 was waiting for me, attached with dud 465043 on a Barnehurst service. It was the first time over the revised Cannon Street lines at London Bridge, and it was very slow, eventually I decided to bail at Deptford 5 minutes late. Over to the other platform and 376009/376003 did the honours to take me back to Cannon Street. With an hour and a bit to kill before the next 465/9 was due back into London I decided to head to Liverpool Street for some 321 hunting, sadly it didn’t go as well as I planned with dud 21471/21472 taking me to Monument as I got lost finding my way to the Central Line platforms, and even landed on the wrong platform, resulting in a 7 minute gap in services heading out east. I decided to remain on board the next Central line service, formed of required 91249/92242 leading duds 92200 & 91081 to Stratford, it was crush loaded but emptied out at Mile End.

Sadly my luck didn’t last with a string of dud 321s (with an added kick in the teeth of a pair of required 321s heading into Liverpool Street ECS with no idea of their next working). I cut my losses and headed over to the Jubilee line, with duds 96124/96123 taking me to London Bridge, going out via the maze to reach the main-line station. As I had some time to kill I headed to the free toilets before making my way up the stairs. The service from Tunbridge Wells was running late, which meant it was behind dud 375826 leading winner 375304 which took me to Waterloo East. My final 375 which I was happy about, however sadly RTT decided to have a funny 5 minutes and I couldn’t double back towards London Bridge to intercept the late running service from Tonbridge, which eventually appeared around 15 minutes late.

I was going to turn it down, but decided that it was worth delaying myself an hour, as dud 466009 rolled in with 465903 in the middle and winner 465922 on the rear for the short trip over the river to Charing Cross. Only 465917 remains of the 465s (and networker family overall) but I believe that is currently enjoying the South Yorkshire Air getting fitted with the new toilet unit. With an hour to kill before the 22:20 service, I decided to head to the Bakerloo line for some hunting (making use of the handy island platform at Charing Cross to ID both northbound & southbound services). 20 minutes of waiting paid off as 3242 rolled in with winner 3553 on the rear to take me to Embankment, followed by a 10 minute fester before 3263 rolled in with winner 3536 on the rear, my final 3-car 35XX unit of the 1972 stock, so I was happy (just 3266 left to locate to clear the Bakerloo line for stock).

Swinging via McDonalds (again, naughty me!), before joining 159015/159104 forming the 22:20 service back towards Grateley, the end of a quite successful little afternoon trip, knocking down my requirements quite nicely.

Stock operating within London which I require:
700s (as of the list posted here http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2821294&postcount=6450)
10x RLU; 6x FLU
7x 387/2s
465917
(9x 395s)
11x 321s
3x 90s
3x 332s
3x 350s

My plan for next week is probably to visit London on Tuesday, Wednesday (staying overnight) with a tour on the Thursday. A day of rest on Friday before visiting Birmingham on the Saturday for unit (and tram) hunting.

I would imagine my London trips will be more focused on LU, seeing as the 321s, 90s & 332s are not running, 465917 I believe is in Doncaster and I may get lucky on Wednesday night if the 20:50/21:20 services run with the usual 387s. I will ask if those 350s are operating within London with services calling at Watford Junction (or even Harrow & Wealdstone if I’m lucky) as they have either stayed away or been on Crewes. I suspect a trip to Ebbsfleet/Gravesend might be in order on Tuesday to see if I can get some 395s into the book, maybe festering around the Thameslink core for an hour or so to see if any required 700s pop up
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Wow what a week.

Your early spin to BoO in the morning was a good to time. Well done also on your GSW shacks and clearing pendo 114, not to mention C2c again. What seats to the new 387/3 have?


Surprised you needed the Edinburgh sub and even more so that that train did it given how late it was.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
Wow what a week.

Your early spin to BoO in the morning was a good to time. Well done also on your GSW shacks and clearing pendo 114, not to mention C2c again. What seats to the new 387/3 have?


Surprised you needed the Edinburgh sub and even more so that that train did it given how late it was.

C2C's 387/3s are the same seats as the other 387s, the ironing boards.
 

alexf380

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
1,417
Location
Musselburgh, Scotland
A fantastic array of moves to keep you going over Christmas. Many congratulations on the achievements made (I can't quite remember them all, there were a few!) on the trip, and some inspiration may be found here for some moves of my own.

Merry Christmas and I hope 2017 is as fantastic as 2016.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
That was a hugely productive time, there's not many of us who've cleared the 375s and I suspect it will be a long time until the next trip reporter manages the feat. I sure won't be managing it for years.

Your photos from the WHL have got me wanting to go there again, especially with talk of 156 thrash!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top