• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
I've done the trams a few times this year and don't remember his dulcet tones.
Maybe they only put his voice in one.
I still require 104, so when/if I get it I'll make sure I have a close listen.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
There was a mix back in June.
Although his voice seemed to be more in the minority.

Congratulations on the Pacers as well Kite. I still need 002/051/053/072/073 to finish mine off.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
There was a mix back in June.
Although his voice seemed to be more in the minority.

Congratulations on the Pacers as well Kite. I still need 002/051/053/072/073 to finish mine off.

I would say all Pacers are done, but alas I still need one more Welsh 143 to complete the set :(

Still pleased as punch that, that 142 sort of fell to me. I just asked out of wonder and to hear the news it was in Sheffield made me happy. I was half expecting to hear "it's gone back to the North east and is on Newcastle - Metrocentre shuttles all day" and it wouldn't be until next year when I eventually head back out to that part of the world I would have fallen onto it.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
I need two as far as I remember plus scores of GWR ones :(

That reminds me, one day I will attempt to search for 150120 & 150265, as I've fallen onto the other 2 I needed at the start of the year (one by tipping up on a Southampton working on the day of my OU exam, and the other by being run into at Bristol to be taken to Pompey for the night).

Apart from a Saturday in August I haven't really been in GWR-Wessex land this year
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Nicely done on that Pacer sir. Quite an achievement.

Good to see someone else bashing the MMl, not enough of us do it
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Well done on clearing Sheffield Supertram, and also landing your final Class 142.

Of note, I still require Attercliffe Road to Meadowhall section of track, and the top side of the triangle heading towards the Cathedral. I have already done the PSUL side of triangle last year when parts of the tram network were closed for engineering works.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Well done on clearing Sheffield Supertram, and also landing your final Class 142.

Of note, I still require Attercliffe Road to Meadowhall section of track, and the top side of the triangle heading towards the Cathedral. I have already done the PSUL side of triangle last year when parts of the tram network were closed for engineering works.

At least you did the harder side of the triangle :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Congr**s on clearing the 142s! I couldn't put it all in ;). It sounds like a great day there and congrats on clearing all of the Supertram shacks - something I'm not too far off doing myself. Ouch to the long distance 222 ride though, and not getting your last two trams - I sympathise as my last one was in the depot last time I was up.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
That's great work Kite and I never knew that about Jarvis either, you learn something new.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
I'm just making a rough plan to get the new section of track between Oxford & Oxford Parkway into my book (as I didn't manage to do it before it closed in 2014). Which just happens to involve some Cat Thrash
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
25th November – Red Friday

A trip to London was on the cards, with some gen at the location of some of my required units I worked out a rough plan, which involved the 14:38 from Andover so it was an earlier start than a few weeks ago. A drive to Andover, parking in my usual spot, and walking over to the station picking up my travelcard for the day and via the subway to platform 1, where the 14:38 was being shown as formed of 6 coaches (which could get cosy).

However the PIS was wrong (no surprise there) as 158888/159021/159009 rolled in, as I did my usual trick of heading to grab a table seat in the empty 158 for the speedy run towards Clapham Junction, where I alighted and headed over towards the Southern platforms, jumping on a hopelessly delayed 377431/377105 from some distance lands (otherwise known as Eastbourne & Littlehampton running around 20 minutes late). Into Victoria, where it was a fire to get off from the train (due to some idiotic passengers deciding to crowd around the doors without thinking that passengers would have to get off the train, some of which had suitcases), and it was over to the South Eastern side where I had a couple options to reach Bromley South.

The 1st was a Rainham bound service which was a solo 465/2 was it was over to platform 1 to grab a seat on duds 375829 & 375817 for the slow (until Shortlands where 4 tracks resume) run to Bromley South, alighting from the train onto the island platform, noting a pair of 387/1s heading towards Sevenoaks running late. 10 minutes (or so) later the service I was waiting for rolled in, with winner 375301 leading dud 375614 with winner 375810 on the rear, 2 for the price of 1, happy days, as I took a seat in 810 for the slow run back towards Victoria (but at least it is 3 more units into the 10-mile club ;)). Back at Victoria I headed over to the Southern side to jump on the next East Croydon bound service (pretty sure it was heading towards Portsmouth).

377157/377160 were quite busy, but I was around the doors as a familiar sounding message came from the driver that “can the guard please contact him”, so expecting the train to be cancelled I was happy the hustle alarms went and the train departed a couple minutes down, managing to get a seat in the 3+2 coach (god these seats are terrible) sitting next to a grumpy person who wasn’t very happy he had someone sat next to him for the run to East Croydon, which was in a state of chaos due to no information being displayed. The service from Uckfield was due into platform 5 going by RTT, so I was hanging around the platform ramp just in case it got swapped, however with the sound and sight of Turbostars meant I was in the right place as duds 171729 & 171805 rolled in with winner 171401 on the rear (only 201 to go to re-clear the class).

It was the usual 171 slowness, matched with a random call at Norwood Junction meant the Turbostars rolled into London Bridge around 10 minutes late, however it was the time where Charing Cross bound services resumed calling so with nothing better to do I headed over to platform 9. First up was a dud pair of Evil-stars, followed up with winner 465919 leading dud 465025 for the short hop to Waterloo East, where I fired up RTT to see what was floating around. Sadly nothing matched my (limited) requirement list so after around 45 minutes I headed down to Southwark underground, but again luck wasn’t on my side, cutting my losses with duds 96075/96100 to London Bridge.

Beware anybody wanting to get from LU to the new concourse at London Bridge, for it is a long walk, however I was heading towards a Thameslink operated service to Brighton, expecting maybe a lovely shiny 700... nope a solo 377414, needless to say it was quite crowded on departure from London Bridge. Down to East Croydon for the 2nd time of the day, this time the platform displays were working, however services were doing the usual Southern self of being delayed, the train I was waiting for (the 20:08 Victoria) was around 10 minutes late, so the legal connection at Clapham Junction (for I checked NRE) to the Exeter train had gone. However it was worth the wait as winners 387214, 387226 & 387205 rolled in for the tiny leap to Selhurst (I bet not many people can say they have alighted from a Gatwick Express branded service at Selhurst!). The reason for the additional call was due to a cancelled Victoria stopper from East Croydon so passengers for stations to Clapham didn’t have a half hour delay.

I jumped over to the other platform for some 455 action from 455819 back to East Croydon, with 15 minutes to kill before the other 387/2 worked service returned from Brighton so I headed out of the station for some tram hunting in the unlikely event 2564 or 2565 would pop up. Sadly it appeared the trams were bunched up so I headed back downstairs for the arrival of the other 387 diagram (spotting 171201 on platform 5, looked like it had been out doing the peak time Oxted – Uckfield shuttles and was returning to depot). My main attention was drawn to the arrival of winner 387218 leading duds 387227 & 387219 to take me back to Clapham Junction (another 387/2 into the book without a Gatwick leap :)), a quick scan of RTT suggested a service from Basingstoke would be the fastest way to Waterloo so it was to platform 7 to jump on a trio of 450s led by 450113. I would tell you what the other two units were but the front coach of 113 was quite busy and nobody has replied to my request yet (an annoying gap on my log file).

Swinging via Tesco for a meal deal for dinner before I headed back to the main concourse to take a seat on the 21:20 service which tonight was formed of toothy 159102 with 158881 attached, so doing my usual I sat in the 158 (for the nice soft seats) for the run back to Andover, giving me chance to reflect on a good day with 2 more 375s falling (3 left), 1 more 171 (just 201), 1 more 465 (4 left), with 4 more 387/2s (10 to go).
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Sounds good on your requirements list, or rather lack of it.
I do wonder what youl do when everything clearable is cleared though.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, well done on bagging those red 387s. I was at East Croydon to see the return of 214 & co after an evening;'s socialisation just down the road. Thankfully winner 700112 provided a suitable way north for me but I am going to have to time my exit from what's becoming more regular Croydon socials to coincide with red 387s - like you say, saves all the aggro of going to Gatwick!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Kite, well done on bagging those red 387s. I was at East Croydon to see the return of 214 & co after an evening;'s socialisation just down the road. Thankfully winner 700112 provided a suitable way north for me but I am going to have to time my exit from what's becoming more regular Croydon socials to coincide with red 387s - like you say, saves all the aggro of going to Gatwick!

Welcome back Keith :)

Certainly doing those two moves saves money as they can be done a travelcard.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Welcome back Keith :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I've not been completely absent from the rails but it's been meagre pickings in the past few weeks although I am down to one running S-7 pair and I'm keeping atop the retractioned 455s. Now that the loop sees regular 700 workings, those should be somewhat easier although that's easier said than done if this morning is anything to go by.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Great read there Kite, well done on getting some winners.

Sounds like you had a good time. :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
26th November – Central African Republic

I was Liverpool bound today for a good unit hunt, focusing on Merseyrail as it won’t be until July or August next year I will potentially be back in Liverpool due to the pending engineering works. Also allowed me to have a look for my remaining 4 319s as Liverpool is probably the best place to fester looking out for the former Thameslink units as all bar one diagram operates from Liverpool, plus any other units which may pop up (185s, 350s, 150s).

Unusually when I was booking my tickets, national rail enquires put me not onto the direct Liverpool service, but onto an earlier Manchester service changing at Crewe for a London Midland service, made a change from the usual direct run on a 390. It was the usual 05:24 service this morning, and after a walk to the station, it was a short wait before 159015 rolled in for the speedy run to Waterloo, where I had time to pick up a couple items before heading to the underground. Luck wasn’t with me this morning as the first 4 sets heading northbound were dud, and with my eye on the time I cut my losses and took 51518/51519 to Euston, exiting the underground and to the main concourse.

The 07:35 service to Manchester was in one of the higher number platforms and was formed of dud 390130, which I was going backwards in C9 (which is a good seat because most of the time the person booked into the dreadful C3 takes one look at the seat and selects another seat with a bit more elbow room). After a false start (headed forward before the brakes slammed on, which I’m guessing was door interlock issues judging by the door buzzers sounding afterwards), eventually departed around 5 down, which gave a good run northbound stopping briefly at Milton Keynes “This is the Manchester train, it isn’t the Glasgow via Birmingham train, that train is a few minutes behind this one”. A fast run down the Trent Valley giving some excellent tilt and arrival into Crewe was into platform 1 from the southern end (vice platform 5), so I don’t know how rare that move is.

The Liverpool service was from platform 11, which was quite busy (a search on RTT suggested the previous service had been cancelled), however when dud 350127 rolled in a few minutes early it was quite busy but I managed to get a seat (after asking a lady to move her oversized handbag who gave me evil looks for the remainder), many other passengers were not lucky as we called additionally at Winsford, by Hartford the train was pretty much full and wedged (at least in the rear coach), leaving passengers behind at Runcorn due to the sheer overcrowding. Arrival into Lime Street was around 10 minutes late due to extended dwells (plus the call at Winsford), but this didn’t bother me as I had already purchased my Saveaway from Basingstoke on Thursday evening post getting my iPod fixed.

I headed over to platforms 1-6 which now features a gateline, and several 319s, none of which matched my requirements. 150150 was spotted buffer blocking (which I assume would later head towards Helsby for the Ellesmere Port services), I decided to hang around to see which 319 would roll in from Preston to head towards South Parkway, and I was happy as it was required 319374, so climbing on board (motor coach but of course) for the run towards South Parkway, sadly not a high speed run as we stopped after Edge Hill area for a delayed CLC service to clear the line before crossing over to the slows rolling into platform 4 at South Parkway.

The fog has arrived, as I crossed over to the platform 2/3 island (does anything use platform 3?) to await the arrival of the next LM, which was winner 350240 which I managed to squeeze on right at the front for the way back into Lime Street, 3 more 350s left to get. Once back at Lime Street it was a quick scan of platform 9 (a dud pair of 156s), before heading back over to P1-6 for another short fester, noting a few other dud 319s floating around before a 319 rolled in from Wigan, for it was winner 319382. Climbing on board for the short run to Edge Hill (but of course I sat in the motor coach for some 319 thrash), where I alighted at the twin island platform station, RTT in hand with ideas of what to do next (noting we had passed a 319 from Warrington within the tunnels which would be next out).

In the short fester I had spotted another required 319 heading towards Lime Street on a non-stop service from Manchester Airport, so had a plan to head back into Lime Street to get it roped into the book on either the next 319 or DMU. That plan went into the bin with the appearance of winner 319366 on the Warrington Bank Quay service for the tiny leap to Wavertree Technology Park (having checked the calling pattern of the Manchester Airport service), however having just missed a connection back to Liverpool meant I had a near 25 minute fester at the cold station. Time to fire up the iPod and my magazine to pass away the time before winner 319379, beyond my hopes for today my final 319 for the non-stop run to St Helens Junction, getting some good speed up on the 9 and a half mile run (mmm 319 thrash).

I somehow managed to make a tight connection at St Helens Junction via the footbridge onto a busy 319375 working a stopping service back to Liverpool Lime Street, so I got the benefit of even more 319 thrash, keeping an eye out once we rolled into Lime Street for anything DMU shaped, but nothing on platform 9 so it was a swing via Boots for a meal deal to say farewell to the sunlight and Northern and head to the underground, making a rough plan to visit Neston on the Wrexham line, giving me around 45 minutes before the required service to Bidston.

I took up a seat, and waited as the first few services were all 508s (my target for today was 3x 507s, knowing I could ignore the 508s having cleared them back in July), and sadly with some annoying chavs on the platform I decided to employ a chav annoyance move on dud 508137 to Liverpool Central, taking up a seat for another short fester before winner 507032 rolled in for the tiny leap to James Street, closely followed by 507021 to take me underneath some water to Hamilton Square (the unit rather than the user ;)), taking up a position to view the next Chester service (but not in a position to catch it), thankfully it was a 508 so it was over to the other platform for the next New Brighton service where my run of luck continued with 507026 taking me to Birkenhead North (fresh air felt good). 508110 was next up to take me to Bidston where I only had a short fester on the same platform for dud 150255 to roll in on the next Wrexham service, being on time (the other unit was around 10 minutes late), to take me to my first new network rail shack in over a month at Neston (one more ATW shack down, but it clears the line from Shotton to Bidston). I noticed that ATW have fitted carriage reporting posters (similar to Northern) with a picture of a winking 143.

No ticket check on board, and the station was quite basic with a subway to get between platforms. A couple nearby supermarkets, which to kill some time (for I had around 30 minutes to kill) I headed to Sainsburys to have a quick look for no reason, only to have to visit the toilet with a bloody nose (but less about blood the better), before I returned to the platform for a short wait before dud 150253 rolled in to take me back to Bidston, rolling in with a couple minutes to spare before dud 508108 took me to Hamilton Square, a couple units later and I was heading back under the water to Moorfields on 508112, deciding for a change of scenery and headed via the passageways to the Northern Line platforms.

First couple departures to Liverpool Central were dud, followed by winner 507003 for the 46 chain leap to Central, where I had a short fester keeping an eye out on what arrived next from Hunts Cross and Southport (plus what terminated), sadly with nothing else of interest I decided to jump onto 507009 back up to Moorfields to intercept the next Hunts Cross working heading south, which was worth it as it turned out to be winner 507030, another short fester at Liverpool Central and I returned back to Moorfields on dud 507020, only for winner 507015 to come down from Southport, only 2 507s remain, of which 1 I had spotted earlier on Birkenhead depot.

With nothing else and wanting to get out of the tunnels and into fresh air it was another trip on 507009 back to Moorfields, and around to Lime Street on 507031 to have a look at what units were floating around up top. Sadly nothing matched my requirements at a busy station, noting the 18:04 LM to Birmingham departing full and standing with the doors closing a couple minutes early with shouting of “No More” from the guard, thankfully it was a dud 350/2. Similar there wasn’t anything else of interest DMU side, both from Northern and a late running TPE to Scarborough, which got swapped from platform 9 to platform 6 resulting in a lot of passengers moving. I noticed 319380 sitting on platform 5 ready to depart to the depot with destination of “Sellafield”. But with nothing else of interest (noting the queue for the 18:47 VT was quite long) I picked up a meal deal from Boots and headed back underground on the off-chance the 507 I hadn’t already seen was floating around.

40 minutes later I returned back to the surface, alas no sign of it, and with nothing better to do I noticed the late running LM service holding up the inbound working of the 19:48 service to Euston, which caused a large queue as the 19:34 LM (19:04 was cancelled) again made it look like 350240 was rather cosy. With the late arrival of the 390, the passenger control was thrown away with passengers allowed through onto the platform as dud 390112 rolled in, with a sub 10-minute turnaround it soon departed, with rumours of it being rather cosy in the front few carriages (as normals can’t walk down the platform!) Mix of Liverpool football fans heading back to London, thankfully it emptied out at Crewe & Stafford where it was run fast down to Euston. I was lucky to get my actual reserved seat, it was such a fast turnaround the Train manager didn’t get the chance to download the reservations for the 19:48)

I say running fast, but we hit congestion caused by earlier issues around Birmingham after Milton Keynes where the WCML goes down to 2 tracks that time on a Saturday night. So it was a nice crawl up, behind several other 390s (including one from Edinburgh which appeared to be running around 90 minutes late), held up more with the odd call at Watford Junction to set down, but eventually we sped up and into Euston around 15 minutes late. After alighting (witnessing an idiotic cyclist riding along the platform weaving in between suitcase pulling passengers), I headed to the Northern Line, but like the morning my luck wasn’t with me, and with a couple duds with a 8 minute gap for service 4 I cut my losses with service 3, 51567/51552 to Waterloo, swinging via the chaos of McDonalds before heading to locate the diesel.

159004 (Basingstoke and Deane) was on the 23:40, and I got a table seat and waited for chaos to unfold with the usual overcrowding of Basingstoke passengers (although I must say after walking to the toilet in the 2nd coach due to the disabled toilet being out of action (due to some lovely passenger unable to hold their drink) it was quite busy after Whitchurch. Anyhow an uneventful run back, via swinging via the slows at Farnborough Main, I alighted at home for the short walk home, noting that it didn’t feel that cold. Gave me a chance to reflect on a much better day than I had hoped for with all 4 319s into the book, another 350, plus 6 507s, leaving just 507027 & 507029 to clear the class, a job for next summer time when the engineering works have been completed (and probably a request to someone with access to the magic box to give me a clue)

A couple pictures:

Smiling 143!


319380 to Sellafield, with large crowd at P6 (they weren’t impressed when the 185 stopped mid-way up the platform:
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Another great report there Kite, enjoyed that. Well done on your winners, too.

Bah, I still need 507032.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Grand stuff.
I have a policy of never visiting Merseyside when either Liverpool or Everton are at home and nothing you said makes me want to re-evaluate that position :)

Oh, and I'll see your Central African Republic and raise you Vanuatu.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
27th November – 3rd time lucky

Attempt 1 at this shack was back in July, failed when the 153 got cancelled at Cromer due to late running
Attempt 2 at this shack was in August, failed when 90005 decided it wanted to break down at Stowmarket on route to Norwich.
Attempt 3 at West Runton, my final Greater Anglia shack was today, would it work out, or would I get bowled out again?
I’ve been waiting for a Sunday where there was no engineering works on the Great Eastern Main Line in order to have a good run with a 90 hauled set rather than heading via Cambridge (more chance of something required via the GEML), and with a plan made I purchased my tickets the night before picking them up at Liverpool (the Virgin TVMs still issue in old style). Thankfully the morning wasn’t that cold so I didn’t have to waste time with de-frosting my car on route to Andover.

The 06:59 to Waterloo this morning was formed of 159022 & 159009, taking up my usual seat for a fast run, festering at Basingstoke for a few minutes and Woking for 5 minutes (I’m guessing it is timetabled just in case there is some slow-line running), after Clapham Junction crossing over towards the “up Windsor” line to roll into Waterloo on the Windsor lines side (quite unusual that). I had an hour and a bit to head towards Liverpool Street, so after picking up a bite to eat I headed to the Jubilee line for some 96 stock thrash.

But I wasn’t heading to London Bridge, instead winner 96058 attached with dud 96065 took me to Bond Street for that extra noise and speed on the fast running section between Westminster & Bond Street, where I headed to the Central line for some 1991 stock hunting, striking it lucky with 4 moves, generating 5 required sets:
91189/92460/92410/91191 to Tottenham Court Road
91179/92140/92090/91003 to Chancery Lane
91243/92438/92170/91175 to Bank
91251/92134/92182/91183 to Liverpool Street

I exited the underground and headed to the main station, noting that the Norwich set wasn’t on the usual platform on the West Anglia site but on the GEML side of the station, dud 90011 was pushing with ‘required’ DVT 82152 at the front. My reserved seat was pants, but I managed to find an empty table seat in coach E on the rather empty trip, first time non-stop on the main-line through Stratford, although catching up with a stopper after Romford so the speed was lost until Shenfield where the driver opened up the power, a mild drama at Colchester due to a disruptive passenger, but the set continued all be it 10 minutes late and with someone talking in a monotone voice on their phone until they alighted at Ipswich.

It was a good run, and the first time in doing the whole Great Eastern Main Line in one sitting, at Norwich I spotted one of my last 2 GA 156s working out to Yarmouth via Berney Arms, and dud 153306 waiting on the next Sheringham ‘fast’ departure to the end of the line at Sheringham, returning on the same unit back to Cromer, where I exited to get some lunch from the nearby Morrisons. Killing some time by having a quick look around the station area before super-epic-dud 170271 rolled in on the next Sheringham line service (first time at getting a 170 on this line at least). I took a seat for the short hop to alight at West Runton. I had finally done it, clearing Greater Anglia, time for a celebration fresh cream muffin.

15 or so minutes later 170271 returned to the single platform shack which had nice gardens had it been summer, as I took a seat in the other coach for the slow trip back to Norwich, pausing at the junction with the Yarmouth line for a late running service from Lowestoft to pass in front before we were allowed to slowly accelerate towards Norwich. With nothing really better to do I took up a seat on the 15:00 departure to Liverpool Street being hauled by 90011 with another ‘required’ DVT at the country end, this time being 82103 to haul me to Ipswich, where my attention was drawn to a pair of 321s sat on platform 4, required 321435 was leading dud 321361 on the stopper service which would depart in 20 or so minutes.

20 or so minutes later, the doors closed as I got some 321 thrash heading south of Ipwich where for some reason I decided to alight at Manningtree, as I wanted to investigate the disused platform to the side of P3 (looked like the track is a long siding as it losses wires soon after the short platform. Anyhow the next Liverpool Street service was running late caused by an unit from Cambridge having some issues at Stowmarket (judging by RTT) and it was rather chilly sat at Manningtree awaiting the arrival of dud 90006 with dud DVT 82107 on the rear running 10 minutes late. A busy service but I managed to get a table seat and log onto the free Wi-Fi to pass the time, catching up with a semi-fast from Clacton around Chelmsford. Thankfully the signallers saw some sense and allowed us to pass Shenfield when holding the TFL Rail stopper on the platform, but it did mean the last few miles after Romford was a crawl (as we had caught up with the Semi-Fast which had caught up with another stopper).

Eventually once we passed Stratford we regained some speed heading into Liverpool Street around 15 minutes late, but not to worry as I headed to the Sub-Surface Line turning down a dud S8 before catching dud 21539/21540 to Moorgate, turning down another dud S8, before I headed to the Northern line platform turning down a dud set before winners 51652/51653 rolled in for the short hop to London Bridge.

Another short walk later and I was at the 3/4 mark on the Jubilee platform (allows me to ID both sets with ease), the first was a double dud (and with time on my side) I turned it down to be rewarded with winner 96024 attached to dud 96115 to Southwark, followed by another winner, 96044 attached with dud 96007 to Waterloo, where I exited LU by means of the lift. I headed up to the main concourse, noting that the 159s forming the 19:15 were departing from platform 18 and this evening was formed of 159008/159015/159106, taking a seat in the middle of the train as it was a busy service to Basingstoke (engineering works between Basingstoke & Winchester means fast Basingstoke services had been reduced), and with a fast run back to Andover.

Only one required 321 today, but better than nothing as I had finally cleared another TOC (leaving just ATW, Scotrail & Northern to go) for shacks visited :) Another visit will need to be paid to the area in the New Year to hunt down those last two GA 156s, plus last 3 90s.

Here be some pictures:
I have a feeling someone fitted the filter back to front, engaged seems a bit backwards:


The beast of 153306, finally took me to Sheringham (for it was the unit which got terminated on the 1st attempt):


Handy Morrisons:


West Runton:


-------------

Next weekend I have the Metrolink to attack, this time not getting sidetracked by required pacers (although I might get side-tracked if a certain 323 pops up), when the following week is the "Marches & Moors" tour where I've been treated to travel in the 1st class dining area :)
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A few decent spins there - congrats on the GA shacks and the 319s! You're title for the London one gave me an idea for a future one of mine too. A few great reads as always!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Grand stuff.
I have a policy of never visiting Merseyside when either Liverpool or Everton are at home and nothing you said makes me want to re-evaluate that position :)

Oh, and I'll see your Central African Republic and raise you Vanuatu.

Sadly an incorrect answer which scores you 100 points ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
2nd December – A quick spin to London

I was half and half about heading up to London this afternoon, part of me wanted to have a nice lazy evening sat in front of a hot log fire, but after getting information from 37078xotTE about the location of my last 3, 375s (and last 171) I formed a rough plan. Sadly one of the 3 were working a one-way trip from Cannon Street to Broadstairs, first stop Rochester so that was ignored, and the 171 was working doing peak time shuttles, arriving into London Bridge in between the other 2 375s, so that had to be binned (besides the chance of it actually making London Bridge is quite remote, as normally it gets capped at East Croydon due to late running).

Unusually it was the 15:59 I caught this afternoon, formed of 158883, 159018 & 159017, with taking up a seat in the 158 (which moved it above 887 for highest mileage 158) for a good trip towards Brookwood, where we came to a stop alongside a 450 at the station, for the line was blocked due to a bridge strike with Network Rail inspecting the bridge for damage. Thankfully 10 minutes later we were on the move again, however that delay meant that the unlikely chance of making it to Fenchurch Street in time for a certain evening peak working (no guesses what I was going after ;)) was lost. For lack of a better plan (for I had no plan other than “20:15 Charing Cross – London Bridge”) I decided that once into Waterloo to head over to Blackfriars for a spot of 700 hunting.

I leapt onto the first Northern line service which rolled in on the platform as I was coming down the stairs, to be happy it was required 51521/51522 for the tiny leap underneath the mighty Thames to Embankment where less than a minute later I was doing a cart-roll (well maybe not) onto an unknown S-stock heading towards Upminster, sadly luck didn’t strike twice as it was duds 21541/21542 for the trip to Blackfriars, turning down a linear hop on grounds of wanting to max my 700 hunting time. Exiting LU and to the national rail platform, noting a dud 465/9 on a Blackfriars – Rainham service, the first few services were 319s (even a single unit on a St Albans stopper), eventually the sight of a “Darth Vader” came into view and it was winner 700005 for the tiny leap to City Thameslink.

Less than a couple minutes later winner 700112 rolled in for the leap to Farringdon, sadly the next couple northbound services were dud, so I headed over to the LU side, turning down a busy S7 heading to Barking to be rewarded with winner 21087/088 to Moorgate, followed up by dud 21373/21374 to Liverpool Street, with the idea of doing some 321 hunting. Sadly it appeared luck wasn’t on my side this evening and after roughly 45 minutes of walking up and down platforms to ID front units, I decided to call it a day and headed back to LU.

I noticed a required S8 heading towards Aldgate, with a couple dud units before winner 21093/094 returned from Aldgate, which I was going to take to Farringdon, however at Moorgate I spotted a required S7 sitting in one of the bay platforms, doors open and displaying “Hammersmith” so I bailed in the hope that it would be on the move sooner rather than later. A dud S7 was up first before the doors on winner 21555/556 closed and we were on the way to Farringdon (probably a mild track score as I don’t think I’ve had platform 3 bay at Moorgate before).

A short wait at Farringdon, listening as a 319 thrashed away northbound, before the next Brighton bound service rolled in, the PIS was showing “formed of 12 coaches” which suggested 1 thing, which turned out to be winner 700101. Taking up a seat in the rear 1st class area (plug sockets located under the seats 395 style) for the short trip southbound to Blackfriars, heading back to LU. Sadly my luck wasn’t with me and I cut my losses with duds 21397/398 back to Embankment for the short walk up the road to Charing Cross. Over to platform 6, dud 375926 was at the rear, a dark blue 375 was at the front, and yes it was winner 375804 my final 375/8 (and final 4-car 375). I was going to take it to London Bridge, however we passed a 466+465/9+465/9 set rolling in, so I bailed instead at Waterloo East.

Another 465/9 was spotted heading into Charing Cross on the rear, sadly that was dud, so I had a short wait before dud 465902 rolled in, with dud 465910 in the middle and 466029 on the rear for the short hop over to London Bridge (ah well, it was worth a shot in case one of my last 4 networkers popped up at random). First couple services were dud before the service I was waiting for was due, formed of 7 coaches so I was looking hopeful as dud 375903 rolled in with winner 375306 on the rear. Woohoo, another 375 bites the dust (leaving just 375304 to get) for the short run back to Waterloo East, where I had around 30 minutes to grab a meal-deal from Tesco and head over to take a seat on the 21:20 bound for Yeovil.

I think 158887 must have heard it was no longer my highest mileage 158 and wanted to put things right as it was on the rear of the 21:20 with 159015 at the front to regain its place at the top of the table, and to take me back home. Arrival into Basingstoke was nice and early due to not having to wait for the late running Bournemouth XC, and it was a short run back to Grateley, the end of a productive evening, 2 more 375s into the book, along with 3 more 700s, plus a handful of LU units.

------------

3rd December – A Manchester Weekend

The idea of this weekend was to clear Metrolink for shacks, plus maybe getting some more units into the book from the Manchester area, but the main focus would be on Metrolink (I said that a couple weeks ago only to hunt down 156s at Salford!). The early morning air wasn’t as cold as it had been earlier in the week for my walk to the station for the 05:24, which this morning was formed of 159101.

Nothing unusual about the way into Waterloo this morning as I spent the time reading a couple of yesterday’s newspapers before checking up with the forum, once into Waterloo I decided to make a change and get some 1996 stock thrash, so after swinging via Tesco for breakfast, it was down to the Jubilee line with duds 96094/96049 to Green Park, crossing over to the Victoria line with duds 11079/11080 (makes a note to go Victoria line hunting at some-point this month) to take me to Euston, where I was booked onto the 07:35 Manchester service, which RTT was suggesting was departing from platform 16.

RTT was correct, and after the 07:20 departed the screens updated to say that the 07:35 would indeed be departing from platform 16, sadly it was dud 390107 to take me to Stockport via Crewe (for that extra bit of tilt), unlike the previous week it was a right time arrival into Stockport, and lucky I dodged a bullet as the 08:00 service had been cancelled (and the 08:20 was rather full with football ‘fans’ heading to Manchester from London). Anyhow a short wait at Stockport, keeping an eye out on anything required being spotted, before spotting which 323 was working towards Stoke, for it was no other than 323229 my last 323.

2 miles and 30 chains later I alighted at Cheadle Hulme, to be faced with a 25+ minutes wait before dud 323235 rolled in rather wedged out with Christmas shoppers (in fact pretty much every train heading to Manchester was wedged out). At Stockport I met up with 185143 who was having a lazy weekend, and after a few more wedged out duds decided to cut the losses and head over to platform 2 for dud 150115 on the Chester bound to Altrincham. Quickly popping via the large Tesco near to the station before heading back to the platform to ID the next Manchester bound service (185143 wanted to intercept at Hale, but I decided to play it safe just in case it was wedged out and we were unable to board). It turned out to be a pair of dud units, so saying farewell to 185143 (as he went off to catch several buses) and I headed over to the tram platform for a series of linear hops making use of the rough 6-minute frequency.

3038 & 3009 to Timperley
3019 to Brooklands (hey Andy ;) )
3059/3049 to Sale
3014 to Dane Road
3018/3008 to Stretford
3035 to Old Trafford
3002 to Stretford (as a time wasting winner move due to a delay in the next pair of trams)
3025/3027 to Trafford Bar
3052 to Cornbrook
3105/3093 to Cholton
3098 to Firswood, to await the next Airport tram, knowing I might have to be clever and employ a “2 stops forward, 1 stop back” method due to the 12 minute frequency
3102 to Barlow Moor Road
3084 to Northern Moor
3085 to Sale Water Park (a nice island platform allowed me to pull off a +1)
3076 to Wythenshawe Park
A walk along the road to Moor Park
3067 to Roundthorn
3102 back to Baguley
3110 to Benchill
3076 to Martinscroft, for an extended fester due to poor traffic
3106 to Crossacres
3095 to Peel Hall
3106 back to Robinswood Road, to clear the line, beware the platforms are not opposite each other here
3102 finally to the Airport, I had enough of the trams for the time being and looking at RTT saw a potential of a 175 move, dud 175102 was running late but thankfully it got given the green light over the 319 stopping service for the run to Oxford Road, the main reason for wanting a train move was to have a PNB and a slightly faster way back towards the city centre. At Oxford Road I wanted to intercept the next Manchester Airport bound ATW in case it was required, or jump on a stopper to Deansgate to rejoin the tram network.

The ATW working airport bound was dud, the next Deansgate service was a busy Hazel Grove – Blackpool service (IIRC a 142+156), which for some reason had an extended fester at Oxford Road, as I was standing by the Liverpool stopper which was a 156 waiting to see what was working from Blackpool. When I was waiting for it to roll in, a Liverpool bound 185 was routed via platform 3 and I said to myself “that unit looks required”, for it was 185138. But on the bright side coming in from Blackpool was dud 185104 leading winner 185125, my 2nd last 185. Once back at Piccadilly, I headed downstairs to the tram platform and did the following moves:
3058/3011 to Piccadilly Gardens (for it was Bury bound)
3072 to Pomona
3081 to Exchange Quay (2 minutes later)
3090 to Salford Quays
3071 to Anchorage

Where 3071 hid up the rear of 3090 as the Eccles line wasn’t in the best place due to vandalism, so delayed services were being turned back at MediaCity and some using the avoiding line. However it meant there was a queue of trams at Anchorage, which I kicked myself for turning down the following tram for a leap to Harbour City as it was required, and I had a short 10 minute wait before 3071 returned to take me back to Cornbrook, as a pair of trams emptied out making the next pair (thankfully dud) quite cosy when it departed. Next up was another Deansgate-Castlefield terminator which was winner 3062, closely followed by required 3082 leading dud 3097 to take me to St Peter’s Square, the closest tram-stop for a forum meal.

A couple hours (or so) later, I said farewell and headed for a walk to the hotel where I was staying in (Black Lion pub in Salford) to check in and drop some weight, before walking back (dodging the drunks and people who randomly stop) to St Peter’s Square with the idea of clearing the remaining shacks on the Eccles line (having cleared the section towards Media City UK earlier), plus my last piece of remaining track [the curve from Media City towards Broadway, having covered the avoider back in December 14 when doing the line for coverage].

Anyhow first tram up was an Eccles bound service (how be that for timing), with dud 3113 taking me to Broadway, scoring the track from Media City UK at long last, with a bit of a wait being displayed (18 minutes) for the next tram I fired up Google Maps and after a short walk arrived at Langworthy, with the PIS now displaying 14 minutes. 14 minutes later winner 3080 rolled in to take me to Weastle, with a mere 5 minute fester for dud 3072 taking me to Ladywell to complete the line. I kept my eyes peeled for the following tram, but that was dud so I leapt onto the return of 3072 for the long trip back to Piccadilly Gardens, closely followed by winners 3045/3007 to Piccadilly for I had spotted something. That 185 appeared to have been shifted to form a Scarborough service rather than a Newcastle via Victoria, and was due back into Piccadilly around 23:06 (or so), so it gave me something to aim for as a just in case measure.

To kill some time, I checked out an ATW towards Chester, but that was dud, followed by duds 150143/150272 eventually rolling in a few minutes late (due to an EMT 158 getting routed via P14), a hop to Oxford Road to intercept dud 175105 back to Piccadilly (more of a toilet requirement). The platform was quite busy, but I was standing near the front as time ticked by until the service from Scarborough rolled in. I jumped for joy (in my head) as in rolled 185138, my final 185. I managed to get on board a busy service, forcing myself off at Oxford Road and headed over to platform 4 to intercept the Huddersfield bound service due in a few minutes. When I was waiting I couldn’t help noticing that 185 departing complete and utterly full, a good 50 passengers were left behind who jumped onto the Northern stopper (which itself was quite full). Dud 185109 rolled in with 185111 on the rear, locked out of use. After a short delay the doors were released and I jumped onto the 185 and once at Piccadilly noted that 185111 had got lost.

Still in a happy mood I headed downstairs, first up was a dud tram, followed by dud 3046 leading winner 3012 to take me to Market Street, followed by duds 3075/3104 to Victoria. Sadly the next Exchange Square tram was 10 minutes away so I walked back to the hotel for a semi-good night sleep. The plan for Sunday was to clear the Ashton line before going hunting.

------------

4th December – Day 2

I awoke and checked out of the hotel, walking over to Exchange Square stop to pick up my Train & Metrolink rover and jumped onto winner 3032 for the short trip to Victoria, walking over to the main-line station (via Greggs for a sausage roll, beware it appears they charge premium prices, £4 for a baguette + drink). A quick look around highlighted nothing of interest so it was onto a freezing cold 142037 for a short hop to Ashton under Lyne, walking over to the tram stop (which is closer than I remember it being), the idea was to do a two stop forward, one stop back move for the final 8 stops.

First up was dud 3065 to Ashton Moss, doubling back to Ashton West on winner 3077. A minute or so later winner 3091 took me to Droylesden for a short wait before dud 3087 took me back one stop to Audenshaw. 3077 was next up to Edge Lane, where I missed the connection by a matter of a minute, so I walked back along the road to Cemetery Road. Dud 3090 was next up to take me to the Velopark stop, under the shadow of a large Asda, and a short wait before dud 3089 took me to my final Metrolink stop at Clayton Hall, along a very slow piece of track with some sharp corners.

Mission one complete as dud 3072 took me to Eithad Campus where I bailed as I spotted the next Bury had a required tram, and it was a minute or so before dud 3047 rolled in attached to winner 3003 to take me to Piccadilly, for it was now time to have a look upstairs for anything required. Nothing spotted of interest so I headed back downstairs for a short trip to Piccadilly Gardens on winner 3022 attached with 3020.

A brief pause before winner 3057 attached with dud 3017 took me back to Piccadilly, followed by a pair of winners 3010/3006 to Victoria for a quick look around for any required DMUs. Nothing spotted which was required (although I did spot that Northern seemed to be missing some members of staff as a few services had been cancelled), so back to the tram stop with dud 3120 leading winner 3074 took me to Shudehill, followed by 3005/3043 back to Piccadilly for a lunch break and another quite look upstairs for anything required (mainly on the lookout at the 390s as I need 3, or any ATW services towards Crewe, plus the odd northern DMU to Buxton/Sheffield).

Nothing required, so it was back downstairs for another shot at Victoria, so onto 3043/3005 for the 2nd time back to Victoria, again with nothing spotted at the station. I decided to leave Victoria alone until another day, and headed back to the tram platforms for winner 3012 attached with dud 3046 for the run back to Piccadilly for another short look around, but this time jumping onto duds 150270/150220 from Chester to make use of the toilet (for I refuse to pay to use a station toilet), before heading back to Piccadilly on 323227 for some Starship thrash. After another quick look around highlighted nothing of interest, I went back downstairs and jumped onto duds 3047/3003 to Piccadilly Gardens, walking over to Market Street for a few trams, eventually getting rewarded with winner 3039 leading dud 3048 back to Piccadilly for another short look up top.

15 minutes later (and another dud ATW 150 spotted) it was back downstairs with dud 3091 out to Piccadilly Gardens, another walk over to Market Street with duds 3046/3012 to Shudehill (for some unknown reason). Winner 3051 attached with dud 3052 took me back to Market Street, with a short walk back to Piccadilly Gardens with dud 3021 leading winner 3004 to St Peter’s Square. After a couple more dud trams (I think I had seen the majority of trams out in this part of the network) I headed back to Piccadilly on 3020/3022 for another quick look. Still no luck with required 390s (and yet another ATW 150, 3rd in a row), so back downstairs with 3040/3016 to Shudehill, a couple dud tram movements later and duds 3015/3001 took me back to Piccadilly for the final time.

Dud 390134 was on my booked train home (16:15), which was a good trip southbound, slowing down north of Nuneaton, I spent it watching a couple programs downloaded to the iPlayer. Once at Euston it was down to the Northern line, which had collapsed (next service 30 minutes), so after 5 minutes of no movement I decided to cut my losses and headed to the Victoria line with duds 11069/11070 taking me to Oxford Circus, 3251/3555 to Waterloo on the Bakerloo (one noisy line). A swing via McDonalds before boarding the 19:15 service to Exeter, formed of 159017/159004 & 159009 for the fast trip back to Grateley.

A successful weekend, clearing my remaining Metrolink shacks and putting a massive dent into my requirements, down to 28 trams now, clearing both 323s and 185s was a bonus, will make a Leeds based fester slightly easier now that I can ignore TPE (and XC, pacers & EMUs).

Pictures:

Festive Trams!


Typical, you wait ages for a tram to Media City UK and two turn up at once ;)


A sunny Clayton Hall:
 
Last edited:

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Congratulations on clearing the Metrolink shacks - you're a braver man than me going into Manchester on a Saturday in December (no crowd buster loco-hauled trains this year, either).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top