Kite159
Veteran Member
Thanks Keith
21st October – Fields of White Roses, Day 0
As I was booked onto the 07:03 London Kings Cross – Leeds service on the Saturday I decided it would have to be an overnight stay in London (the reason for wanting that train will become clear on the report for Saturday). I had no real idea of what to aim for other than a couple 387 operated services and the location of my last 466 which was out doing Victoria – Orpington services. Finished work on time and a drive home (witnessing some idiotic behaviour from a driver overtaking on a blind bend!) and I walked to the station to pick up my tickets for the day.
The 14:59 was the train I was aiming for and today it was formed of 159016 & 159014, and due to half term I would imagine one of the boarding schools in Salisbury finished early as it was full of school kids with various suitcases heading home for the week. Anyhow I got a seat and relaxed for the half hour trip to Basingstoke, where 150001 took me onwards to Reading for some early 150 based thrash. You could probably guess why I was heading to Reading, and that was mainly due to my 12 remaining GWR power-cars, and with a hope I wasn’t going to be festering around Reading for as long as I was back in August.
My wishes came true as the first service which rolled in had dud 43015 on the front and winner 43159 on the rear (won’t be my last one Quinn
) for the speedy run to Slough where due to a late running Slough caller meant it was a crawl for that service to depart before running into Paddington a few minutes late. On route I had an idea to try and grab the 466 earlier, so once into Paddington it was down to the Bakerloo line jumping onto the first available service as it would be quite tight to get to Victoria in time, especially as it was nearing peak-time with the crowds. Duds 3234/3543 took me onwards to Oxford Circus, leaping across the platform to jump onto duds 11075/11076 onwards to Victoria, a very stop-start journey due to following another service on the route to Brixton.
A few minutes attempting to leave Victoria LU station (such an awful design) and it was over to the South Eastern platforms with 5 minutes to spare, locating the next Orpington service, a busy 6 car with 465033 on the rear and 466024 at the front. Happy days, as it means another class was now cleared (and the 466s are quite hard to get as they can pop up nearly anywhere on the SET network) as I took a seat in the motor coach for some extra noise, the idea of heading to Brixton and then onto the Victoria line somewhere. Which is where things went wrong as the train turned left at Brixton to head towards Denmark Hill (Thameslink had collapsed due to 3rd rail issues at Blackfriars, so I’m guessing the signallers decided to turn this service into a Catford loop line service).
Anyhow, Denmark Hill was in a state of panic, the next service out of there had a last minute platform change from P1 to P3, only for it to roll into P1 (with an extra delay as passengers headed back over from P3 to P1). Dud 465929 was leading 466023 to take me back to Victoria, where the queues for the Victoria Line ticket hall was quite long, so I decided to take a walk to the other entrance to the underground station, eventually locating it and headed to the Sub Surface Line platform, jumping onto the first service without really checking. It was duds 21435/436 so I bailed at the next stop of St James Park to await a required S7 (or even a D Stock).
First couple units were dud, before winner 21541/21542 rolled in to take me to Westminster, the next couple were duds with a 7 minute wait (at peak time!) I decided to bail to the Jubilee line platforms to await a required 96 stock. A few duds later before dud 96019 rolled in attached with winner 96106 to take me to Southwark (as I was just killing time without really an aim before needing to be at Paddington for the 19:15 service). I decided to bail at Southwark to head to Waterloo East to see what was floating around (in the hope of a 375 or a 465/9 score). It was outside into the light of Waterloo East, as I regain mobile signal to fire up RTT to give me some ideas of what was due. First 10 minutes there was nothing spotted (only 465s and 376s) as I went across to platform D for a service from Ramsgate, a trio of 375s, which was being led by my last 375/9. 375921 was leading duds 375613 & 375709 for the short trip over the river to Charing Cross.
The next couple highlighted services were dud, so I headed to the Bakerloo ticket office, with one eye on the clock as I jumped onto duds 3531 & 3239 to Edgware Road, a couple dud set later and I was back on the move with duds 3532 & 3238 to Paddington, making my way over to platform 12 where the 19:15 service to Hayes & Harlington was waiting. Winner 387131 was leading winner 387136 on the lightly loaded service, for my first “Great Western Electrics” run to Ealing Broadway. A good bit of acceleration out of both Paddington and Acton Main Line (where due to a short platform only the doors on the front 7 coaches are released), at Ealing Broadway I don’t think I was alone in heading over the footbridge and down to the other platform as this service gives a +5 to the other pair of 387s out currently.
Needless to say it was back to Paddington on winners 387134 & 387133, another lightly loaded service (the WiFi works quite well), and once at Paddington it was over for the long walk to the Hammersmith & City line platform, with an idea of heading to Liverpool Street due to information that a required 90 was on the 20:30 Norwich (thanks to Techni). Winners 21395/21396 took me forward to Great Portland Street, followed by required 21115/21116 to Kings Cross St Pancras. Next up was a dud S8 before 21475/21476 took me onto Farringdon, followed by 21099/21100 to Moorgate. With time ticking down, the next service was dud 21429/21430 for the short leap to Liverpool Street (the next service would be in 6 minutes which would have been a bit too tight for the Norwich train.
Anyhow as expected winner 90003 was sat at the barrier end of the 20:30 (with required DVT 82102 at the front) for the short run to Stratford (yes I know it is pick up only, naughty me). A late running required 321439 took me back to Liverpool Street where I had a couple options to reach Victoria, the quicker Central Line to Oxford Circus, or the indirect Circle line. For some reason I picked the circle line as winners 21057/058 took me to one of the bay platforms at Aldgate (doors opened on the left at Aldgate) which I think might have been a required micro-grice. Anyhow a minute or so later winners 21561/562 rolled in to take me the long trip round to Victoria, arriving with 5 or so minutes to spare to head up towards the high numbered platforms for the 21:20 Brighton service, which is one to remember as it is formed of a trio of 387/2s.
Winners 387216, 387210 & 387212 was on the service on the slow trip to East Croydon, seemed to be very stop start after Thornton Heath, arriving 7 minutes down. For me the network rail part of my evening was other, but after spotting a required tram heading towards Elmers End, I checked into the Easy Hotel, dropped off stuff from my bag and headed back out to the tram stop for some tram hunting. I wasn’t festering for long before required 2554 rolled in to take me to George Street, followed by a bit of a fester before winner 2559 returned from Elmers End to take me round the corner to Centrale, to clear my last Stadler. Another short fester at Centrale before I jumped onto dud 2545 to take me back to East Croydon to call it a night, but the next Wimbledon tram was a minute later and was required 2532 to take me back to George Street.
A short fester before I jumped onto 2549 round the corner to West Croydon before fresh dud 2559 took me back to East Croydon, where I called it a night and headed back to the hotel for an average night, the AC unit kept on making funny noises, even when turned off. A very successful evening scoring 2 locos, 7 LU units, 3 trams (only 3 remain) plus 10 MUs.
21st October – Fields of White Roses, Day 0
As I was booked onto the 07:03 London Kings Cross – Leeds service on the Saturday I decided it would have to be an overnight stay in London (the reason for wanting that train will become clear on the report for Saturday). I had no real idea of what to aim for other than a couple 387 operated services and the location of my last 466 which was out doing Victoria – Orpington services. Finished work on time and a drive home (witnessing some idiotic behaviour from a driver overtaking on a blind bend!) and I walked to the station to pick up my tickets for the day.
The 14:59 was the train I was aiming for and today it was formed of 159016 & 159014, and due to half term I would imagine one of the boarding schools in Salisbury finished early as it was full of school kids with various suitcases heading home for the week. Anyhow I got a seat and relaxed for the half hour trip to Basingstoke, where 150001 took me onwards to Reading for some early 150 based thrash. You could probably guess why I was heading to Reading, and that was mainly due to my 12 remaining GWR power-cars, and with a hope I wasn’t going to be festering around Reading for as long as I was back in August.
My wishes came true as the first service which rolled in had dud 43015 on the front and winner 43159 on the rear (won’t be my last one Quinn
A few minutes attempting to leave Victoria LU station (such an awful design) and it was over to the South Eastern platforms with 5 minutes to spare, locating the next Orpington service, a busy 6 car with 465033 on the rear and 466024 at the front. Happy days, as it means another class was now cleared (and the 466s are quite hard to get as they can pop up nearly anywhere on the SET network) as I took a seat in the motor coach for some extra noise, the idea of heading to Brixton and then onto the Victoria line somewhere. Which is where things went wrong as the train turned left at Brixton to head towards Denmark Hill (Thameslink had collapsed due to 3rd rail issues at Blackfriars, so I’m guessing the signallers decided to turn this service into a Catford loop line service).
Anyhow, Denmark Hill was in a state of panic, the next service out of there had a last minute platform change from P1 to P3, only for it to roll into P1 (with an extra delay as passengers headed back over from P3 to P1). Dud 465929 was leading 466023 to take me back to Victoria, where the queues for the Victoria Line ticket hall was quite long, so I decided to take a walk to the other entrance to the underground station, eventually locating it and headed to the Sub Surface Line platform, jumping onto the first service without really checking. It was duds 21435/436 so I bailed at the next stop of St James Park to await a required S7 (or even a D Stock).
First couple units were dud, before winner 21541/21542 rolled in to take me to Westminster, the next couple were duds with a 7 minute wait (at peak time!) I decided to bail to the Jubilee line platforms to await a required 96 stock. A few duds later before dud 96019 rolled in attached with winner 96106 to take me to Southwark (as I was just killing time without really an aim before needing to be at Paddington for the 19:15 service). I decided to bail at Southwark to head to Waterloo East to see what was floating around (in the hope of a 375 or a 465/9 score). It was outside into the light of Waterloo East, as I regain mobile signal to fire up RTT to give me some ideas of what was due. First 10 minutes there was nothing spotted (only 465s and 376s) as I went across to platform D for a service from Ramsgate, a trio of 375s, which was being led by my last 375/9. 375921 was leading duds 375613 & 375709 for the short trip over the river to Charing Cross.
The next couple highlighted services were dud, so I headed to the Bakerloo ticket office, with one eye on the clock as I jumped onto duds 3531 & 3239 to Edgware Road, a couple dud set later and I was back on the move with duds 3532 & 3238 to Paddington, making my way over to platform 12 where the 19:15 service to Hayes & Harlington was waiting. Winner 387131 was leading winner 387136 on the lightly loaded service, for my first “Great Western Electrics” run to Ealing Broadway. A good bit of acceleration out of both Paddington and Acton Main Line (where due to a short platform only the doors on the front 7 coaches are released), at Ealing Broadway I don’t think I was alone in heading over the footbridge and down to the other platform as this service gives a +5 to the other pair of 387s out currently.
Needless to say it was back to Paddington on winners 387134 & 387133, another lightly loaded service (the WiFi works quite well), and once at Paddington it was over for the long walk to the Hammersmith & City line platform, with an idea of heading to Liverpool Street due to information that a required 90 was on the 20:30 Norwich (thanks to Techni). Winners 21395/21396 took me forward to Great Portland Street, followed by required 21115/21116 to Kings Cross St Pancras. Next up was a dud S8 before 21475/21476 took me onto Farringdon, followed by 21099/21100 to Moorgate. With time ticking down, the next service was dud 21429/21430 for the short leap to Liverpool Street (the next service would be in 6 minutes which would have been a bit too tight for the Norwich train.
Anyhow as expected winner 90003 was sat at the barrier end of the 20:30 (with required DVT 82102 at the front) for the short run to Stratford (yes I know it is pick up only, naughty me). A late running required 321439 took me back to Liverpool Street where I had a couple options to reach Victoria, the quicker Central Line to Oxford Circus, or the indirect Circle line. For some reason I picked the circle line as winners 21057/058 took me to one of the bay platforms at Aldgate (doors opened on the left at Aldgate) which I think might have been a required micro-grice. Anyhow a minute or so later winners 21561/562 rolled in to take me the long trip round to Victoria, arriving with 5 or so minutes to spare to head up towards the high numbered platforms for the 21:20 Brighton service, which is one to remember as it is formed of a trio of 387/2s.
Winners 387216, 387210 & 387212 was on the service on the slow trip to East Croydon, seemed to be very stop start after Thornton Heath, arriving 7 minutes down. For me the network rail part of my evening was other, but after spotting a required tram heading towards Elmers End, I checked into the Easy Hotel, dropped off stuff from my bag and headed back out to the tram stop for some tram hunting. I wasn’t festering for long before required 2554 rolled in to take me to George Street, followed by a bit of a fester before winner 2559 returned from Elmers End to take me round the corner to Centrale, to clear my last Stadler. Another short fester at Centrale before I jumped onto dud 2545 to take me back to East Croydon to call it a night, but the next Wimbledon tram was a minute later and was required 2532 to take me back to George Street.
A short fester before I jumped onto 2549 round the corner to West Croydon before fresh dud 2559 took me back to East Croydon, where I called it a night and headed back to the hotel for an average night, the AC unit kept on making funny noises, even when turned off. A very successful evening scoring 2 locos, 7 LU units, 3 trams (only 3 remain) plus 10 MUs.
), the queue was quite long but eventually it got moving and I got my rover, swinging via Boots for a meal-deal for later on. I had a couple options so decided to kill some time by jumping onto 333012 for a spin to Shipley before joining 333004 from Bradford Forster Square for the run towards Skipton to score P4 (also as a time wasting, pacer reducing move). Such a shame that the 333s don’t really give out that much in the way of motor noise when you are sat inside (good noise when they pull away from stations, but a good sense of speed once in North Yorkshire). A few minutes later dud 144014 rolled in to take me to my first new shack of the day at Long Preston.