• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
passengers for Carlisle had the choice of either a bus towards Penarth or to stay on for a bus from Armathwaite.

Wow thats one hell of a bus-substitution!! Wonder what the route for that would be (M6/M5/M4?). More likely Penrith!!

Another great trip report though, brought back memories of my week there last May.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
7th October – Into the Valley of Esk, Rode the 156

As you could probably guess from the title, this weekend I was mainly shack scoring on the Esk Valley line (Middlesbrough to Whitby), which has a limited service of 4 trains a day in each direction. With such a limited service it was key to have an early start in Middlesbrough to catch the first service to go backwards and forward walking between some shacks to reduce some long festers (as it is the same unit which goes backwards and forwards).

Bag packed and I had a short walk to Grateley to pick up my ticket to London, as the PIS was saying for the 15:59 it would be “formed of 4 coaches”. It was half right as the 15:59 was in fact formed of 8 coaches, stalker 158882 was leading with 159010 in the middle and 159108 brining up the rear for the fast run to Woking where we got put into the slow line to allow a late running service from Portsmouth overtake, pausing at Surbiton and losing time as that late running Portsmouth service called at Clapham Junction, eventually rolling into Waterloo 5 minutes down.

With a 10 minute gap before the next Charing Cross train was due in at East, I walked down to the Northern line platform on the underground with required 51519/51518 taking me the 34 chains to Embankment with a short walk to the sub-surface line platform. A couple dud S7s later and I was on the move with 21505/506 to Temple, followed by another couple dud units, before calling it a day as it was nearly time for a 700 operated service from Blackfriars so it was onto duds 21315/316 working a Circle line service to Blackfriars for a short walk to the national rail platforms.

I shouldn’t have worried as the service I was hoping to catch was running 10 minutes late, however it was worth the wait as in rolled winner 700103 for the tiny leap to City Thameslink. The next Bedford ‘fast’ service was right behind the 700 which was a pair of 319s (imagine the motor noise on that running fast down the MML, especially since most passengers would have boarded the 700 in front). Another couple 319s rolled in and departed on route to Luton before winner 700002 rolled in, my first of the 8-car 700s to take me to St Pancras, a busy service.

Once at St Pancras, I walked over the road to Kings Cross to take a seat in the 1st class lounge (when booking tickets, 1st class was cheaper than standard class), to await for the 19:00 Newcastle service to be announced. Quite a nice First Class Lounge, grabbing a couple items before heading off to see what was on the 19:00 service, a walk to the front of the set and I was smiling as my 2nd last 91 was at the front, 91105, with DVT 82202 at the rear. The service looked well loaded in standard class with the unreserved coach looking quite busy. 1st class was also quite busy but after departure I changed seats to an empty table for 2 in coach L, in the middle where the seating is 1+1. Good seats but a terrible ride, as the service ran non-stop to York, it meant service didn’t feel as rushed. A couple drink runs before orders were taken for evening meal, where I decided to have the lamb rump with minted potatoes, a short time later it arrived and was very tasty.

Orders for pudding were taken around the Newark area, where I picked the Chocolate cherry roulade and settled down for an early arrival into York, where we were held up due to a late running service in front. A short time later I alighted at Darlington, and had a short walk and some fresh air before the Saltburn service from Bishop Auckland rolled in. It was dud 142050 and I managed to get a decent seat for the 15 mile run to Middlesbrough, firing up Google Maps to get directions to the hotel, but sadly the GPS wasn’t playing game so it was more guess work. After a mild farce with some other guests wanting to check in (the intercom wasn’t working), I checked in, sorting my bag out for the following day, setting the alarm for an early start.

Mmm leather seats:
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a good run there apart from the poor ride quality on the MK4s. Congrats on only needing one milkfloat! Hopefully 114 will land soon (odd co-incidence that it's that one as I'm pretty sure that it was rg177's one too and, obviously, 390114 was Tech's last pendo).
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
Sounds like a good start to the trip and indeed 91114 was my last one. I only had to wait a few weeks between getting 91107 and that one so hopefully it won't take forever to find it!

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I've bashed 2 NK4 sets this year and think they ride better at 100 or less. Food sounds good though!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
8th October – Into the Valley of Esk, Rode the 156, Day 2

A decent night’s sleep in the Travelodge and a short walk back towards the station hoping that the ticket office would be open to allow me to exchange some tokens for a weekend rover, thankfully the ticket office was open and after a short while I was issued with the weekend rover valid anywhere on the Northern network. It seemed a bit of a waste to only be using it on the Whitby line but saved some money over separate tickets.

The first option for me was a service to Nunthorpe, which was formed of winner (and empty) 142070, grabbing a seat on the 3+2 bench seating for the run to Nunthorpe giving me some time to swing via the little shop to pick up a couple items before returning to the station to await the arrival of the first Whitby service, and in rolled Über-dud 156469, ah well by the end of the day it will be Dandy-Dudded. A lightly loaded service to head down the quite picturesque line via the North Yorkshire Moors to reach my first shack score of the day at Ruswarp.

A basic single platform, with a waiting shelter under an old porch, a pub opposite the station with a level crossing to reach the bridge over the River Esk, with a footpath mentioning the river walk to Whitby (which on the Sunday looks like it goes between the river and the railway line). I only had 15 or so minutes to wait before 156469 returned for another long trip to alight at Great Ayton, nothing much in the area of the station (the map suggested the village was a 10 minute walk away), a low bench seat in the little waiting shelter plus some picnic tables around the station. It was time to settle down and await the return of the 156.

An hour (or so) later 156469 returned, and the 2nd service was quite busy, a few passengers standing but most of the stations it looked like passengers were alighting or boarding (good weather for a day in the countryside), as I was getting a bit hungry I alighted at Grosmont where I missed a trick in not walking back to Egton (looking at the map of the local area it appears there is a footpath alongside the river which follows the line), but I grabbed a sandwich from the little shop, and had a look at some of the steam engines of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (something which is on my list to do next year). Returning back to the station to eat my lunch and read some more of my book as 156469 rolled in, again sitting in the opposite coach and making sure I made use of the toilet before I alighted at Battersby.

Previously known as Battersby Junction (where the line used to continue to the ‘Yarn’ line), which features a long platform and a passing loop for loco hauled services, and not really a lot else, a few houses. Anyhow I had Google up for the first walk of the day, just over 3 miles towards the next station, could probably be cut down if using an OS map (looked like a public footpath could be used to bypass a road loop), going through the farming village of Battersby up and down a hill crossing the railway via a level crossing to go underneath it a little while later before heading down a little farm track (seemed to be a shortcut) to reach Kildale, eventually locating the access road. Another station which pretty much nothing nearby, the village suggested was 10 minutes away (the map suggested it had a shop and a pub), however the station featured some toilets (how random).

I took a seat and relaxed, as 156469 returned from Middlesbrough, rolling in pretty much on time to take me to Egton, where I set about for another walk. Egton station is near Egton Bridge (rather than Egton itself), featured a pub and what appeared to be some toilets. The walk towards Glaisdale started off nice and gentle, walking alongside the river, and which is where having proper maps would help as I’m sure there would be a footpath to bypass the massive long hill (felt like I was walking uphill for a good half mile, steep in places) before a 33% decline (yep a steep hill), cutting off via a footpath through a wood (little hint, stay on the road, or don’t do it) which was a bit scary in places trying to keep my footing. The reward was crossing over an old bridge before reaching Glaisdale, the passing loop on the single track line (although with the current timetable no trains are timetabled to pass here).

Needless to say I took up a seat and was fatigued, but I decided to do my 3rd walk as the weather was nice (a good thing as well, as the weather on Sunday was awful). Loading up Google Maps for that area (for it was in an area with no O2 signal), I spotted a Co-Op being shown in Castleton so that is what I aimed for once I alighted at Commondale. A station accessible down a grass path, the way towards Castleton was via a bridleway which was on a ridge which ran alongside the railway line in a very beautiful area of the moors (as a couple of the pictures might show). You need decent footwear when doing the walk as the surface is a bit rough, and after going underneath the railway line passing a pub it was back up a steep hill to reach the Co-Op for some well earnt food and drink before returning down the hill to have a rest in the shelter at Castleton Moor, not to be confused with Castleton in Greater Manchester.

156469 had returned for the final time to take me into the darkness to Sleights with a short wait before getting searched by some security guards to reboard a dry service (4 security guards, so I can imagine the final service from Whitby used to be a riot. I was thankful the service wasn’t half as busy as I was expecting it to be, and it was a trip back to Middlesbrough in the dark (book to the ready). Once at Middlesbrough I had a couple options for a quick hop but both were dud 142s (watching as a 185 which had arrived late, emptied out on platform 2 to reverse out of the station heading west only to come back into the station onto platform 1, causing more delays as it departed 12 minutes late.

Anyhow I decided to call it a night and head back to the hotel the end of a productive day on the Esk Valley line. Here be some pictures:
Ruswarp:


Great Ayton, you don’t really want to be missing the 09:53!


Grosmont (has a large sign)


Battersby:


Kildale:


Egton (Bridge):


Glaisdale:


Commondale:


Walking to Castleton:


Castleton Moor:


Sleights:

----------

9/10/16 – Day 3

Another good night’s sleep in the hotel and I checked out walking to Middlesbrough station via Tesco Express to pick up a breakfast snack, as it was a Sunday where services were running to Whitby (ends at the end of October I believe), instead of being one unit going backwards and forward it is two units running further afield (so useful to note as it means a reduced fester at the western end). As a time wasting move I jumped onto dud 142066 to Allens West to wait for delayed dud 142079 to Thornaby with the first Whitby service right on its tail.

It was winner 156444 which was lightly loaded pausing briefly at Middlesbrough before turning right onto the single track section, looking very different in the wet compared to the sunshine from yesterday. An hour or so later I alighted at Lealholm and headed for a little walk across the barrow crossing and to the little village centre where I purchased a couple cold drinks from a local shop before rushing back to the safety of the waiting shelter as the rain had resumed, heavy at times even with the sun shining.

Fresh dud 156444 returned from Whitby, as I sat in the opposite coach for the one station leap to Danby which was ever so dandy, as it was my final shack on this line (woohoo!). It was a short wonder round the area (nothing much of note) before retiring to the waiting shelter with a couple newspapers I picked up on the 156. No mobile signal and with the PIS not working I had no idea how late the next service was, but it was only a few minutes late with the sight of dud 142068 rolling in locked out of use with an old friend, tremendous dud 156469 (it must have been missing me).

A nice run to the end of the line at Whitby before changing coaches for one final time to head back to Middlesbrough where I alighted as the unit would continue to Darlington. Swinging via Tesco to get a lunch before coming back to the station for a time wasting leap to Thornaby on dud 142079 before getting rewarded with dud 142063 from Newcastle back to Middlesbrough and with time to kill I decided to do a little bit of looking in shops. 50 minutes or so later I returned to the station with a dud 185 doing the TPE shuttle and a dud 142 rolling in from Newcastle (well the Metrocentre) so I took a seat and made use of the WiFi waiting for the next Darlington train, getting some peace and quiet once both services departed.

For the 2nd time of the day I boarded 142066, this time continuing on to Darlington, bay platform 2 for the final time using my Northern ranger. With 25 minutes to kill before my booked train home (which itself was running 5 minutes late) I headed to the 1st class lounge (again when booking tickets 1st class was a couple quid more expensive than standard so I decided to go for the luxury). Although an issue with being in coach M is that the loco is right at the rear so I had to get a request from the TOPS Request (standard class looked very busy judging by the number of passengers waiting).

It was dud 91119 pushing DVT 82219 back to London, having to kick someone, who couldn’t read the seat reservation label, out of my seat to settle down for the run up to London. Sandwich offering this week was rubbish (the Salmon or egg week), so it was onto a handy packet of crisps and biscuits, with arrival a few minutes behind schedule. Due to rail improvement works around Woking meant buses in that area, so it was onto a Bus Avoiding Move (which I’m sure Quinn will be happy with). To the sub-surface line with a dud S8 up first, which I turned down for duds 21369/370 to Edgware Road, crossing over to score 21431/432 on the run to the Praed Street platforms at Paddington.

I had two options of HST to get to Reading in time for the next Basingstoke shuttle, sadly both were dud (the 2nd departed from an unbarriered platform allowing me to check it), so it was onto a Swansea bound 43186/43091 which was a busy service. I grabbed a seat at a table which was reserved from Newport to Cardiff, the aisle seat as the window seat was reserved from Paddington to Didcot (which annoyed one person when I refused to move over as the rightful owner could have arrived). A good run until Slough where the service went into a crawl caught behind a stopping service, arriving into an empty and quiet Reading. Over to platform 2 (via Subway as I was hungry) as 165120 rolled in from Basingstoke, as I boarded into the former 1st class area for a good thrashful run to Basingstoke, arriving pretty much on time.

My final move of the weekend was waiting on platform 2, low mileage 159012 was leading 159013 with 159013 locked out of use for the run back to Grateley, walking home giving me some reflection on a successful weekend, 4x 142s remain (2 from both Heaton & Newton Heath) and a small number of (Northern) 156s remain. One more move into the clearing out of Northern land :)

Here be some pictures:

Something which was puzzling me, an old line coming in at Commondale (later found out to be an old freight line to brick producers):


Lealholm:


Danby:


Whitby:


142066 at Darlington, looking all 142-like:



Next Saturday is another trip to the Settle & Carlisle line, this time focusing on the shacks at the southern end, I hope to put a Dent in my book
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I certainly approve of the bus avoidance move! You've got to be crazy to go for all of the Whitby shacks but congrats for getting them! I wouldn't know which sarnie to go for out of Salmon or egg - I love them both :lol:!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
My previous post went through without seeing the rest of the report!

Congratulations on clearing the Whitby line shacks Kite, quite an impressive achievement. Still not as impressive as clearing the Heart of Wales mind ;)

As always an excellent read and photos appreciated too. I really need to get back to that part of Yorkshire, maybe a job for some Sunday moves up that way. Depends what happens away from the hobby in the meantime!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
An impressive feat clearing all those shacks! I've had everything from Middlesbrough to Battersby but only Grosmont and Glaisdale followed by Whitby beyond there. A job for next summer before I toddle off to university I suspect.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
An impressive feat clearing all those shacks! I've had everything from Middlesbrough to Battersby but only Grosmont and Glaisdale followed by Whitby beyond there. A job for next summer before I toddle off to university I suspect.

The last Whitby service carries on to Newcastle ;)

It may be a little job for the quieter months, not the sort of service you want to be doing during the summer when the services may be standing room only
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
Danby and Lealholm are lovely villages, two of my favourite places on the Northern Network!

There is absolutely NOTHING in Kildale! (Apart from a tea room, which actually did some rather good food IIRC).

This line was all dud a while ago-Grosmont resulted in some unplanned 37 cranking-as I had no time limits, using a weekly season ticket (which is cheaper FROM Whitby than Middlesborough-the guard gave me a funny look when I asked him to put it into his Avantix machine specifically from Whitby!) And staying with relatives in Darlo, quite a relaxing week really!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Congratulations in clearing the shacks on the Whitby line! I've done the line twice but who knows if I'll ever be in the position of clearing the shacks on it! At least you had a winner 156 on one day, but your efforts are amazing!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
Thanks for your comments, yes it is a line which requires some efforts to clear and can involves a few long festers considering the limited service.

The villages do look very nice, some friendly passengers. The line is very pretty in parts, when it runs through the moors and alongside the river passing underneath the old viaduct from the former Scarbrough - Whitby - Saltburn line
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,729
Location
West Riding
Congratulations on clearing the Whitby line. It's a very underrated line in my view, and I wish it had a Sunday service and an all-round better service. The NYMR is definitely worth a trip.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
Congratulations on clearing the Whitby line. It's a very underrated line in my view, and I wish it had a Sunday service and an all-round better service. The NYMR is definitely worth a trip.

It has a Sunday service during the summer/early autumn months ;)

The only way service levels can be improved is smart timetabling services to pass at the 3 passing points, with enough padding to allow for when things go wrong for the timetable not to be screwed up for the remainder of the day
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyhow, for anybody on Twitter, my hashtag tomorrow shall be #ReturnToEden although updates could be limited on internet signal in the Dales.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
15th October – Return to Eden, the S&C revisited

A couple weeks ago I did the northern end of the S&C line, today I was focused on the southern end of the line, again using one of the temporary S&C line rovers (yes I know I could save money on getting a Northern rover, but I’m trying to save my tokens for a trip which doesn’t have a handy day rover available). Anyhow, a short walk to Grateley station saw 159017 rolling in on the 05:24 (autumn timetable) towards Waterloo, the extra 3 minutes from autumn timetable probably not needed this morning as we sat at Basingstoke for a good 5 minutes waiting for departure time.

My original plan was to waste some time by going via Waterloo East and into Charing Cross, but sadly Waterloo East was closed due to engineering works and with news of a required 700 working its way northbound so it was to the Northern Line, jumping on required 51703/51535 as it made its way northbound for the tiny leap under the river to Embankment. Up to the sub-surface line platforms, where I didn’t have the best luck with the first 3 services being dud, so keeping an eye on the clock and the platform display I decided to board the 4th service as the 5th was showing as 7 minutes later. However my luck changed as the circle line service was formed of required 21337/21338 for the 72 chain leap to Blackfriars.

Upstairs to the national rail platforms, spotting the unusual sight of 376s in the bay platform (engineering works at London Bridge) as I settled down as required 700003 rolled in a few minutes early, taking a seat on the lightly loaded 8-car unit for the short leap to Farringdon, as I still had time to play with, and I transferred once more to the sub-surface lines. The first service to roll in was a Hammersmith bound 21337/21338 (heh), with a few dud S7s & S8s later before I decided to cut my losses to jump on the next service, and once more it turned out to be a winner set, 21013/21014 for the leap to Kings Cross St Pancras.

Exiting LU (god knows what the backend system would think of my journey), and I had time to swing via WH Smiths to hand over a voucher for a free newspaper (those Yorkshire Evening papers purchased a couple weeks ago have already paid for themselves twice over, with 2 weeks’ worth of newspaper tokens left). Anyhow it was to the platform where dud 91132 was at the front with DVT 82231 bringing up the rear, a pair of 66s were spotted on a railtour to Scarborough, taking up my seat with some programs downloaded to my tablet to kill away the time on the run to Leeds.

A right time arrival into Leeds meant I had time to swing via Boots for some “Autumn Warmers” sandwiches (the Turkey, Bacon & Stuffing sandwich is very tasty) for later in the day (as somehow I doubt there will be much in the way of shops in the Dales). My last 333 was spotted working to Ilkley so I killed some time in tracking its movements for the rest of the day before smiling as it should be on the 18:5X Leeds – Skipton service. No point in looking at what was on the service to Bradford so I headed over to the platform where a 158 was locked up waiting for an inbound service to attach up. Eventually the attachment was complete and the doors were released as I took a seat on 158816 which was attached with 158787 on a busy service.

It was time for some relaxation, looking out of the window as the scenery from urban industrial landscape of West Yorkshire giving way to the wide open views of North Yorkshire, crossing over the mighty fine Ribblehead viaduct over the Cumbrian hills to reach my first new shack of the day at Garsdale. A nice little station, beware of any tight connections as it is a good 5 minute walk to reach the other platform (via a road underpass), and not do what some tourist did and crossed the railway line itself (no barrow crossing here). A nice little waiting room was on the Settle bound platform and what appeared to be some toilets; I reckon on a nice day and if you had the correct footwear you could walk back to Dent (I believe Crehld did the same back in August). Anyhow not a lot around the station over than for some good views, and it wasn’t long before duds 153324 & 158849 rolled in to take me back over the viaduct to Horton-in-Ribblesdale, getting some good Dog Box Thrash in the process.

Where it started to rain (only lightly), so I played it safe and after a wonder round the former Midland Railway station it was over the barrow crossing to the other platform, as a busy dud 158910 (looked to be a coach party going by the “reservation” labels, rolled in to take back over the viaduct (never gets boring) and via the toilet to reach the highest mainline station in England at Dent. Needless to say there isn’t a lot around Dent station, other than a farmhouse and the old station house which was having some work carried out, but excellent view of the hills and a very peaceful place to spend a 90 minute fester, the sun was shining and I had a good seat.

All good things must come to an end, as 158787/158816 returned from Armathwaite to take me once more over the viaduct to reach Ribblehead station itself, sadly I only had a 15 minute fester which prevented me from heading down into the valley to get a picture of the viaduct from the ground (a job for another time). There was some sidings to the side of the Carlisle bound platform, but judging by the state of the track I doubt they have been used in years (cue someone popping up to say there is a weekly freight train from Ribblehead sidings to somewhere). A short wait with a beautiful view (losses some points for having piles of ballast by the side of the line) before the return of 158849 & 153324 to take me to the final shack on the main line at Kirkby Stephen.

Another nice shack, although I believe the town itself is a good mile away, I didn’t have long to wait for the return of 158910 which ran non-stop back to Settle and then non-stop to Settle (which seems strange as if it called at Hellifield it would give a connection to the last Lancaster service, rather than a walking connection from Settle to Giggleswick). I decided to alight at Skipton and had a walk to Morrisons to pick up something cold and a light bite to eat, before returning to catch the service from Morecambe, which was formed of only 2 coaches (rather than 3). In rolled winner 150274 which was a handy bonus to leave me with just 3 Northern 150s left to locate, a nice run to Leeds arriving onto platform 9 right at the far end (as the unit forms a Selby stopper going by the PIS).

A short walk later over to the bay platforms, and a short wait before a certain 333 rolled in from Ilkley, to form the next Skipton service. Allowing passengers to alight first before I boarded 333008 to clear the class and have a non-stop run to Shipley, before a short fester over on platform 1 as dud 333012 rolled in from Skipton to take me back to Leeds. Swinging via McDonalds for some fast service (I prefer that style of separate areas for ordering & collection) before eating said food before walking over to the final Kings Cross service of the evening. DVT 82211 was leading, and dud 91115 was on the rear (so close, yet so far). I was on the usual table, two other seats were reserved from Wakefield to London with the 4th from Leeds to Peterborough, so cue someone checking the seat reservation and deciding to sit in the one from Leeds, getting his Apple laptop out (as is the Macbook law), only to get edgy when the rightful owner arrived.

Anyhow, the usual slow run to London, calling at Wakefield, Doncaster, Retford, Newark (passing a Pullman service), Peterborough and finally London, arriving a couple minutes late (due to waiting for the platform at Wakefield), my original plan to waste some time was to wait for a Brighton bound 700 for a quick hop to Blackfriars, but Thameslink appeared to have fallen over and the 21:52 departed 25 minutes late. So in lieu of something better to do I headed to the Victoria line platform for a fester for any of my last 5 sets. 20 minutes of festering later and winner 11049/11050 rolled up, as I took it to Warren Street, which after 10 minutes of festering decided to call it a day with the Victoria line and headed over to the Northern line platforms, jumping on an unknown set without time to check. Sadly it was duds 51661/51662 which I bailed from at Goodge Street to have a fester. Sadly this time luck wasn’t with me and a few sets later I decided to call it a night and jumped onto duds 51624/51625 to Waterloo.

The 23:40 tonight was formed of 159007, and as always it was a busy train (doesn’t help that it overtakes the 23:35 Southampton service between Woking & Basingstoke), but I managed to get a seat opposite what I can only describe as a grumpy middle aged man, sat with his bag on the window seat and giving passengers evil looks to say “no don’t ask me to shift my bag to get the seat”, huffing and puffing at some of the singing on board (needless to say this service has a few passengers who have been out for the evening in various pubs). The grumpy middle aged man got off at Basingstoke (no surprise there, probably getting ready to write to complain about the loud passengers). Arriving back at Grateley with my usual short walk home, to relax and reflect on a successful day clearing another line (from Settle to Carlisle, I need Gargrave & Long Preston to clear Leeds to Carlisle), a couple new units was good (especially getting 333008 as it means next Sunday when I’m looking out for any required units I can ignore them).

I was going to head to the Isle of Wight today to see if 483008 or 483009 was out and about, but when I woke up the weather was very wet, and hence I didn’t really want to drive to Romsey as those roads get mildly flooded with large volumes of water). Anyhow some pictures of my day trip:

First time I’ve seen 376s at Blackfriars, lucky Gravesend passengers (would have been the 07:25)


Garsdale:



Horton-in-Ribblesdale (quite a large step)


Dent:



Ribblehead:



Kirkby Stephen:
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Excellent. Some nice moody photos. Stunning scenery on that line.
 

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
Lovely photos of the S & C. It's possible to stay at Kirkby Stephen station as the station building has been converted into two self-catering cottages. I stayed there in May and really enjoyed it. Hoping to go back there in 2017 when the line is fully open
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
Lovely photos of the S & C. It's possible to stay at Kirkby Stephen station as the station building has been converted into two self-catering cottages. I stayed there in May and really enjoyed it. Hoping to go back there in 2017 when the line is fully open

I hope it isn't an expensive as the station building at Dent (£700 for a week in the main house, £300 for the week in the ex snow shelter)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always, an excellent read good sir. Congratulations on clearing the 333s, a task I keep putting off!

To need only 2 shacks between Leeds and Carlisle is quite the accomplishment!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Congrats on clearing the 333s! It sounds like a good day there!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,729
Location
West Riding
Excellent trip and congratulations on the shacks scratches. I thought someone might have said it by now, but the sidings at Ribblehead did used to see routine freight trains, that involved the loco running round at Blea Moor just over the Ribblehead viaduct and then propelling back into the sidings, but I'm guessing the closure of the line has stopped that activity for the moment.
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Stunning scenery! You have certainly had some good weather with your shack clearing of the Scenic lines of Britain. Congrats on another line cleared!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
Stunning scenery! You have certainly had some good weather with your shack clearing of the Scenic lines of Britain. Congrats on another line cleared!

Indeed I have, the S&C (and Esk Valley) are so much better in the sunshine compared to heavy rain :)

Thanks for the info on that siding Iskra
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
It was a good day for you there, with the added bonus of the weather being good.

Is there much else you require along Midland Railway metals, including the London, Tilbury, & Southend Railway in the mix?

I was looking into the area which the Midland Railway covered which is still open, and I don't think I need a lot

C2C was cleared last year for shacks :)
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite
The relentless assault on the nation's network seems to continue unabated. Your dedication and enthusiasm combined with excellent reads is almost unparalleled. How long before you're telling all of us that you've had a Friday afternoon leap from Grateley and some how managed to get the gen that your last pacer is working and by bagging it, you have got your last English shack in? And knowing your luck, it'll be a required unit back as well ...
But well done - particularly on the recent attempts to square the S & C shacks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top