• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I too am hoping for good weather and a strong performance from ScotRail in May Kite. Also hoping for some winner 158s from the Inverness allocations!

Most of the Heart of Wales are easily pronounced, Pantyfynnon is probably the most challenging to be honest. They're definitely easier than a lot of them on the Cambrian, I would struggle to spell some of them let alone pronounce them!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
If anybody would like to follow I shall be using the hash tag "#FieldsOfRoses" on Twitter for this weekend's trip.

As for festers... Looks at idea for West Highland Line for some long festers
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Looks like a great time was had.
Those festers are much too long for my tastes, though.

As for HSTs, I've had all the VTEC ones but, perhaps not surprisingly given my general disdain for them, need quite a few from other operators.
I have had two of the three NMT power cars, mind :)
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I too am hoping for good weather and a strong performance from ScotRail in May Kite. Also hoping for some winner 158s from the Inverness allocations!

Most of the Heart of Wales are easily pronounced, Pantyfynnon is probably the most challenging to be honest. They're definitely easier than a lot of them on the Cambrian, I would struggle to spell some of them let alone pronounce them!

Pantyffynnon seems difficult to spell as well. :):) If only 1 x f would be pronounced "Pantivynnon".
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
24th September – Fields of (Red) Roses, Day 1

A trip to Lancashire was on the cards to finish visiting some stations on the Preston – Colne section of line, plus a visit towards Clitheroe, as when I did the line for coverage it was on a 70 hauled rail-tour towards the S&C so all 4 stations on that section of line remain unstopped at. An overnight stay was planned in Blackpool to allow me to hit the rails with the Blackpool tram system as well.

The usual 05:27 start this morning, joining 3 other passengers on the platform at Grateley for 159102 to roll in for the nice run towards Waterloo, heading towards the underground station where after a couple dud sets required 51600/51601 rolled in to take me the 2 and a quarter miles to Euston, swinging via WH Smiths to pick up a newspaper, before heading towards the 07:30 service towards Glasgow Central, formed this morning of dud 390047. Kicking a moody lady out of my reserved seat (as she huffed and puffed shifting her oversized handbag), the reason for selecting E62, is like C9, it has elbow room and the window sill makes a good arm rest (although it means the seat opposite is one of those with a view of plastic).

Non-stop to Warrington, so with some excellent tilt and the unusual sight of the member of staff in the shop going for a walk with the trolley (which seemed to sell a few coffees and snacks), it wasn’t long before I alighted at a busy Wigan North Western. Popping down to the ticket office to purchase my Lancashire Day Rover and it was a short walk back to the platform with two options to get to Preston in time for the next Colne bound service, however the 2nd was a TPE and it was doing what TPE does best and running around 15 minutes late. Thankfully required 390119 rolled in on route to Edinburgh having started from Birmingham, so with a smile I took a seat for the 15 mile trip northbound, only 3 more 390s left to locate (including forum celebrity 114).

To platform 2 at Preston, as I alighted the arrival of the service from Blackpool South, and in bounced dud 142045 leading 150134 (which was locked out of use after Preston due to short platforms). I managed to grab a decent seat on the former Merseyside seated example to the first new station of the day at Rishton, which features a handy looking pub outside the station and a nice footbridge. A short wait before duds 142029 & 150115 rolled in for the short bounce back to Blackburn. A RPI revenue block was in place (although easy to avoid by making use of the lifts!) as I had a short wait for the next Manchester Victoria via Todmorden service (the line south of Blackburn towards Darwen was out of use today due to engineering works), so I had a quick walk outside.

10 or so minutes later I returned as duds 156420 & 150226 had rolled in, to take me to Rose Grove, with the driver being extra careful to fit all 4 coaches on the platform (it just fits). Making use of the handy island platform featuring many chairs, it was a short wait for 150134/142045 to return requesting the next station (as it is one of the three request stops on this service), to alight at Hapton, a basic stop with only housing around, but a short walk via the road bridge I was onto the other platform, ready to flag down the next Colne bound service. In rolled required 142046 attached to dud 150277 to take me to Burnley Central, where I had 30 minutes (or so) to kill so I headed to the town centre to purchase lunch from Greggs. Heading back to the single platform, waiting as 150277 returned with a fresh dud 142046 on the rear, taking a seat in the 150 this time (not like I had much choice), it was a short run to Huncoat, a station which involved a timetabled +0 (or +3 if you are lucky), however it is a footbridge shack (located at the Blackburn end) and we didn’t call at Hapton so I was able to easily make the connection, watching as some ladies tried to hold the Blackpool train, but in vain as a couple were slow walking from (I’m guessing the car or a house) leaving them with an hour wait.

Anyhow, I managed to get across to the other side to be rewarded with required 150220 attached with dud 150137 to take me to the end of the line at Colne, before returning back to Rose Grove, for a 10 minute (or so) wait for duds 142027/150116 to Accrington and another short time wasting fester for dud 158860 to take me to Blackburn. It was a time wasting move due to the rather poor connection between the Blackpool South train and the next Blackburn - Clitheroe shuttle service, which was formed of dud 150270. It was a busy train full of passengers heading out for a good time as I alighted at Whalley, crossing via the subway to the other platform (via a little walk around, the station is located at one end of a nice viaduct). A short wait later and 150270 returned to take me to Ramsgreave & Wilpshire, another short walk around the area later and I returned to the other platform as dud 150111 rolled in to take me to the end of the service at Clitheroe.

A large “Booths” supermarket was located near the station, seemed to be a posher version of Waitrose, but after a quick look around it was back onto 150111 to the last station on this section of line at Langho which has excellent views of the countryside. 150270 returned from Blackburn to take me back to Clitheroe, having a walk around the town (which seems to have a lot of pubs) before re-joining the 150 back down to Blackburn. Swinging via a nearby Morrisons for some dinner, before returning to platform 4 to join 158759 for the run to Blackpool North, where my rover failed to open the barriers, and the rain which had been threating to arrive most of the afternoon had finally arrived.

A quick walk along the road towards the sea front, walking passed North Pier to Tower for a longish wait for a wedged out dud (typical, only had 1 tram before!) 009 (featuring a conductor attempting to check/sell tickets but failing unless you ended up wedged in the door area), due to the sheer overcrowding it was hanging around at the stops for 2 minutes to unload and then reload with passengers for the lights. I managed to escape at St Chad’s Road where I checked into the hotel, dropping some stuff from my bag before returning to the tramway, and my moves were as followed, walking between some ultra-close stops:

St Chad’s Road – South Pier on tram 016 (handing over £5 for a “24 hour” ticket)
Pleasure Beach – Burlington Road West on tram 004
Harrow Place - Manchester Square on the return of dud 016
Central Pier – Pleasant Street on 014 (getting a bit wedged at North Pier where crowd control measures were in place)
Wilton Parade to Gynn Square on 003
Cliffs Hotel to (Uncle Tom’s) Cabin on the return of 004
(Uncle Tom’s) Cabin to Lowther Avenue on winner 010 (which was right behind 004)
Lowther Avenue to Cavendish Road on 008
Bispham to Cavendish Road on 011 (walked to Bispham and doubled back)
Cavendish Road to Sandhurst Avenue on 001
Sandhurst Avenue to Norbreck on 012 (another two trams within a couple minutes, although the only busy trams at this point were the half hourly ones which went all the way to Fleetwood hence some bunching of services)
Norbreck North to Little Bispham on 015
Little Bispham to North Pier on 005 (massive distance between the two platforms at North pier, probably more than the distance between some of the stops, stepped back a tram after 015 departed towards Starr Gate).

My final move was from North Pier to Starr Gate on 010, which caught some passengers out as the last northbound tram had already departed for the evening, however I had other plans and walked the short distance over to Squires Gate on the Blackpool South loop for a cheeky shack score with a late running 150137/150220 taking me to Blackpool South and a short walk back to the hotel to turn in for the night, getting woken up by what sounded like a massive storm. I was happy as I had cleared the tramway for stops to Little Bispham, leaving the 14 or so stops towards Fleetwood to do, and with a frequency on the Sunday of 6 trams an hour, it should be easily done.

25th September – Fields of (red) Roses, Day 2

After a decent night’s sleep, I had a nice breakfast in the hotel before checking out and heading to St Chad’s Road to wait for the next northbound tram. Would I get lucky and get my last 4 trams today (as 12 out of the 16 trams should be out today with the 10 minute frequency, anyhow the rain overnight had cleared leaving a sunny day, bit chilly in the sea breeze, but good walking weather:

St Chad’s Road to Anchorsholme Lane on 014
Anchorsholme Lane to Cleveleys on 004
West Drive to Thornton Gate on 007
Rossall Beach to Rossall School on 001
Rossall Square to Broadwater on 010 (making use of the 10 minutes to grab a cold drink due to no easy walk to the next stop)
Broadwater to Heathfield Road on 008
Lindel Road to Stanley Road on 005
Fishermans Walk to London Street on 015
Victoria Street to Fleetwood Ferry on 002

Where I headed for a quick walk to wait to see what else was out as I had completed my mission, as the next tram was dud I walked back towards Victoria Street to see what the following tram would be, as that was 009, I jumped onto 012 to Cleveleys for a brief lunch break, as the one following 009 would be required (and with time to kill before stage 2 of my plan I could waste time). 013 rolled in to take me to the end of the line at Starr Gate, getting a bit wedged out after Cliffs Hotel (passing a hotel on route which was advertising the fact it had “3 lifts”, which I know is very high on the list of what customers look out for in a hotel).

At Starr Gate I took a seat to have my lunch to see what was the last tram, sadly that was dud 011 (so 006 must have been one of the three sat on the depot, ah well, gives me an excuse to return in 2018 time when the extension to Blackpool North is open and 017 & 018 arrive). Back to Burlington Road West, with a short walk (less than 5 minutes) took me to Blackpool Pleasure Beach station on the loop, pulling up a seat as the service from Colne arrived to roll into Blackpool South before returning a few minutes later. It was onto duds 150142 & 142028 to Moss Side, a station which doesn’t really serve anything (apart from a few posh looking houses), sadly the toilet on the 150 was locked out of use, so I had to wait for the next service.

Dud 150103 (with a working toilet!) and 150277 were up next to take me to the small town of St Annes-on-the-Sea, where I had a short walk around the town centre before returning for 150277/150103 to take me to Lytham. An upmarket looking place, with an upmarket looking pub in the former station building, I pulled out my top hat and fitted in (with my cucumber sandwiches for High Tea). Anyhow it wasn’t that long of a fester before 150138 & 142045 rolled in to my final shack on the loop at Andsell & Fairhaven, a former island platform, with some shops nearby (the island platform being annoying to some cyclists who had to shift their bikes to allow myself and other passengers to alight from the train).

A short wait (spent purchasing a light snack from a nearby Co-Op) before 142045 & 150138 returned to take me back to Preston, where I alighted and the train got quite busy (as it seemed the previous Colne bound service 2 hours ago got cancelled as it was sitting on platform 5). Although I doubt that wouldn’t be as busy as a single 221 heading towards Euston from Glasgow Central (via Birmingham). When on the 142 it sounded like a passenger was cutting it fine to reach Manchester Airport, however he probably didn’t look at the timetable as the Manchester Airport train overtakes the Colne train at Kirkham & Wesham.

Anyhow once in Preston, it wasn’t long before I was back on the move on required 142035 attached to dud 150146 to Kirkham & Wesham, returning to Preston 10 minutes later on 150277/150103. Dud 156448 & 156428 rolled in on route to Manchester Airport via Wigan, so for some 156 thrash I boarded to take me to Wigan, switching over to my advance ticket for the delayed service from Edinburgh changing at Crewe for the faster service from Liverpool. Dud 390020 rolled in around 15 minutes late, running in reverse formation (which itself caused a higher dwell time as passengers had to swap ends), and was quite busy. I had to kick someone out of my reserved seat (as the seat reservations were working and stated “reserved from Wigan”, he wasn’t a happy bunny (although that might be down to not being able to show off that he had an Apple laptop). Into Crewe and it wasn’t a long wait for the delayed service from Liverpool rolled in, around the same time as the service from Manchester rolled in.

It was onto dud 390126, taking up seat C9, and I was surprised that this 390 was put out in front of the one from Manchester (as that one runs non-stop to Euston, whereas this one calls at Stafford). An excellent run with some good tilt (although made worst by someone who was on the phone for most of the time sat in C1 about booking hotels). Into Euston and it was a short walk to the underground station and to the Northern Line with a few dud sets before 51705/51609 took me to Leicester Square, followed by 51670/51671 to Waterloo. Swinging via McDonalds for some much needed food, as Inspector Sands was called to visit Concourse South (fire alarm test), and I took a seat on the 21:15 towards Exeter, formed tonight of 159021, 159003 and 158882 (which avoided me for many months, only to tip up for the 3rd week running on my service out of Waterloo!).

Anyhow, a good run back towards Grateley with a short walk home, reflecting on the clearance of some more Northern shacks, the Blackpool Tramway, plus getting a couple more 142s (5 remain) a 150 (4 remain for Northern), plus a 390 (3 left), and getting 14 out of my 15 required Blackpool trams (I’m ignoring the heritage trams, although they did look nice in Fleetwood). The lights at Blackpool are an excellent sight and were a good highlight of the trip.

Some pictures of both days:

This station is a Request Stop sign at Hapton:


Huncoat:


Pretty signage at Rose Grove:


Countryside at Langho:


Colourful tram in Blackpool:


The Tower:



Tram 005 at Little Bispham, just about to go round the loop to head back south:


Double Decker Tram in Fleetwood:


Old Twin Car heading towards Fleetwood Ferry:


The upmarket looking Station building at Lytham:


The former island platform at Andsell & Fairhaven
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Where do I start?, clearing shacks and lines a plenty, not least the shacks in the top of Scotland, with a mega festers, it's totally phenomenal effort, also clearing the 350/4s and 375/6s and plenty other winning units, trams, zings and 3 winning 66's and a 73, well jealous of the latter.

Having read a full 8 pages of trip reports, I've kinda lost track of your overall winners list but 55 winners in London on a Sunday!!!, is very impressive indeed. Your relentless pursuits are staggering but at the same time, very enjoyable reads. Congratulations are well in order kite

Just to join those having a playful pop at young Quinn, I've had 43308 too, however Quinn trust me, you have many a sighting, I require for sight, nevermind for haulage.

Ah cheers kite for posting yet another trip report just as I reply.
 
Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
You last report reminds me I really do need to have a proper go at the Blackpool Trams. A good couple of days was definitely had there.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
The Blackpool trams are high on my to-do list, I've not had any of the new ones yet (quite a few of the old guard, though).
My plan is to head there out of season (probably January/February time) when there'll be considerably less wedging :)
The mainline stuff you did looks enjoyable as well.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
The Blackpool trams are high on my to-do list, I've not had any of the new ones yet (quite a few of the old guard, though).
My plan is to head there out of season (probably January/February time) when there'll be considerably less wedging :)
The mainline stuff you did looks enjoyable as well.

Bear in mind that during out of season the frequency drops to 4 an hour so you will only get 8 or so trams out.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, yet another couple of fantastic days for you filling your books, eliminating shacks and generally having a good time. I think that two day trips could well be the way forward - you certainly did well to bag all bar one of the modern trams over two days. Is that the norm to rotate them around like that?

Like other regular correspondents on here, Blackpool is high on my list of priorities for a visit. Last time I was there, it was with the family and while I managed a few heritage trams and most of the line, there's still a load of shacks and all of the new trams to do.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Bear in mind that during out of season the frequency drops to 4 an hour so you will only get 8 or so trams out.

Thanks, I did wonder if that may be the case.
Even so; for me, having to make extra visits when it's quieter beats fewer, unpleasantly wedged, ones.
 

87electric

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
1,243
Kite, i agree with 47403 in your relentless pursuits. Very commendable and lots of dedication. :D
Have you had 158887 many times on your trips this year? It is eluding me.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Kite, i agree with 47403 in your relentless pursuits. Very commendable and lots of dedication. :D
Have you had 158887 many times on your trips this year? It is eluding me.

I've had it many times, my most travelled on SWT 158 (currently at 672 miles)

-------

The only really wedged one was the first tram southbound, but that was due to hitting Blackpool around the time the families were heading to the hotels/car parks, and a gap in frequency. The only other busy one was one heading towards Fleetwood in the evening, the busy one on Sunday was due to a large group boarding from the Cliffs Hotel
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Everyone's had 308 but me :lol:!

Sounds like a great time there Kite - which pendos do you need? I can confirm that I don't need any of them - all so old hat ;).
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
Sounds like a good time on the trams. The only tram network in the UK I'm yet to actually touch! Which is bizarre considering I've finished entire systems on the continent....

And I've had all the VTEC trams, don't think 308 has had much mileage though.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Another clearout kite, well done AGAIN!!14 out of 15 trams can't be sniffed at, shame that 006 didn't materialise for you though, would've been nice to do it all in one foul swoop.

Another cracking read there, least I'm up to date with your thread, at last. For how long though.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
011, 114 & 128 to clear Virgin WC outright (including the superior 221s)
011 is incredibly low mileage (8.25 on a New Street-International), 114 fairly high but not cleared for 100 and 128 slightly lower than that but still cleared for 10.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
1st October – Eden of the North

A trip towards the Settle & Carlisle line was in order, to make use of the temporary £15 day rover when the line is closed due to the landslide earlier in the year, a quick plan was made and I worked out I could complete the line in a couple Saturdays, although that plan changed due to engineering works. Anyhow unusually I was going to Leeds via York (and the only reason why I think VTEC put that as an offering was that it saved 2 whole minutes compared to changing at Doncaster for the stopper.

A short walk through the thick morning fog to the station, arriving a couple minutes before it started to rain as 159103 rolled in to take me towards London, I decided to try and be different and bailed at Clapham Junction, missing a service from platform 10, so over to platform 3 where a couple minute fester produced low mileage duds (what else would they be?) 458528 & 458515 for the short leap to Vauxhall, transferring to the Victoria line with duds 11061/11062 taking me the near 4 mile spin to Kings Cross St Pancras. I had arrived in good time, allowing me to pick up the rover (Andover ticket office has been closed the last couple times I’ve visited the station), plus a newspaper before the platform was announced for the 07:30 Newcastle service.

Dud 91130 (I wonder who needs that ;)) was at the front with DVT 82207 being at the rear, a good load (in coach C at least), and a good run was had until just before Sandy where the service slowed down and crossed over into the slow line for a couple miles (passing Sandy itself) before going back into the fast lines (as I was sat on the left hand side I couldn’t see anything which might have caused some rare crossovers to be scored). Anyhow a Leeds bound service was running slightly late in front and that called at both Grantham & Newark, so it was very stop start, eventually losing it when this service pulled into the Retford loop. However a further delay once outside York waiting for a XC to cross over in front meant my booked service (a 185 from Scarborough) had long gone.

There was a silver lining as the next service, formed of dud 185122 was a York starter so no fight to get a seat, for the fast run (and I think the first time on a TPE between York & Micklefield junction). An early arrival into Leeds meant I had less than 5 minutes to get across to the Heysham service, which I had down as being on platform 2, however a late platform swap put it onto platform 9, as I jumped onto winner 144019 for a nice run towards Skipton, leaving the wires and alighting at Hellifield. Technically not a new shack as I had previously visited in 2014 when being hauled behind 70002 (for a short break).

The next Armathwaite service was running a few minutes late, and eventually rolled in around 15 down (looks at RTT it was a late departure caused by a late arrival of a preceding service), I was surprised as it was a pair of 158s, with 158860 leading 158797, both dud, but at least 158860 has been cleared for 10 miles. I believe it is the first time I have been on a service to call at the little stations on the S&C, and the line is as excellent as ever for views of the moors, the service emptying out at Appleby as passengers for Carlisle had the choice of either a bus towards Penarth or to stay on for a bus from Armathwaite. Anyhow the 158s continued onto the current single line section to reach the current terminus of Armathwaite.

A quick photo was had (in the rain) of the units at Armathwaite before boarding 860 (previously I was in 797) as the turnaround time had been cut down to a couple minutes, back down south alighting at Langwathby. My luck with the weather was rubbish as ever and it was throwing it down, I legged it into the shelter of the little waiting room for a couple minutes allowing the worst of the rain to clear, before heading to the little station cafe for a light lunch (For it was Scone O’Clock), just to pass the time (had 90 minutes to wait for the next northbound service). After my scone I headed down into the village centre, passing a handy looking pub, to a little Nisa Local. Nothing of interest in the shop so I headed back to the station to await the return of a pair of 68s I saw heading north earlier.

68021 was leading a Network Rail test train (with 68016 on the rear), it even stopped at the station before giving some Cat Thrash out of the station (well as much as they can do with the speed limit), but I wasn’t expecting to see some 68s today. Eventually dud 158791 rolled in to take me the short distance north to Lazonby & Kirkoswald, where I visited a little branch of the Co-Op to grab a meal-deal (that scone had worn off), before returning to the same platform (word of warning to any station bashers thinking of bashing these stations when the line reopens fully, all 3 look to be a good few minute walk to reach the other platforms via road underpasses) as 158791 returned, sitting in the opposite end for the short run to Appleby where the train terminated.

Due to late running, my planned 30 minute (or so) fester was reduced to 20 minutes, giving me enough time to look at the lovely footbridge (for I do like a good footbridge), and visit the little shop, before returning to 158791 for it formed the next Leeds service, a semi-fast service (calls at only Settle between Kirkby Stephen & Skipton) with the stopping service in a siding to the north of Appleby (looked to be a 158/9). A 158+153 was spotted heading north, but I headed south through the excellent views arriving at Skipton, where we rolled in a few minutes early onto platform 3. The first 333 towards Leeds was dud 333002 (and the one towards Bradford was 333010), so after attempting to locate the entrance to Morrisons (a path goes right behind the car-park with no access into the car-park it seems), before returning to the service from Lancaster, which was sadly dud 144015 to take me back to Leeds, arriving into the back end of platform 9 (as I suspect it was going to depot afterwards).

Heading to the depths of 9D, did allow me to grab the ID of the 91 which would be taking me home, as I popped into WH Smiths to pick up a couple local newspapers, and dinner from Boots before heading back to the 19:05 Kings Cross service (an hour earlier than usual), with DVT 82205 at the front, missing coach D and winner 91118 at the rear pushing the shorter set (which did give better acceleration which was handy as this was a service which called at all the intercity stations on the ECML (apart from Retford, because after-all if you want to travel to Newark from Retford you are limited to a 2 hourly service from York). A well loaded coach C, which emptied out a bit by Peterborough, but a good speedy run only getting caught up after Stevenage with a late running GN stopping service, meant a rough right time arrival, giving me 40 minutes to reach Waterloo for the 22:20 Andover service.

To the Victoria Line platform as 11031/11032 took me to Oxford Circus, crossing over to sit on 3246/3564 for a couple minutes before it got going to Waterloo, arriving before 159017 had even rolled in from Exeter. Grabbing a good seat for the nice run towards Andover, where the train terminated due to engineering works (better than the 23:40 service which only reached Basingstoke before getting terminated), a mini-coach thing was waiting out the front of the station which took me back towards Grateley and the new bus pickup/set-down point at the top of Station Road (which is handy as it saved a bit of walk). Back home and it was time to reflect, only 2 winners today, but 4 and a half shacks into the book, plus some good views.

Some pictures:
144019 departing Hellifield:


End of the line at Armathwaite:


158860 departing Langwathby during a rain storm:


The currently disused ‘up’ platform:


An unexpected bonus of some cats:




Lazonby & Kirkowsald:


Appleby:


Look at that lovely old footbridge, beautiful:
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a great little time getting those shacks - that 90 minute fester doesn't sound fun. Did you realise that you could have saved £5 by getting a Northern £10 voucher though?
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
What a railway that is. Enjoyed reading that as always.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always Kite, an excellent read and I wish I could get up there to use this special ranger. Lots of shacks to go after on that line...
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Well done for doing some normally awkward bits at the far extremities of Midland Railway metals.

I was drawing up a plan a few months ago to take advantage of the revised service, but sort of abandoned that to concentrate on other areas of the network.

Regarding the Blackpool trams, I first sampled them back in 1990. They were double decker trams back then. Did you come across any double decker trams at all?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Sounds like a great little time getting those shacks - that 90 minute fester doesn't sound fun. Did you realise that you could have saved £5 by getting a Northern £10 voucher though?

Yep, but to save £5 would have involved purchasing of said newspapers at Leeds, locating the tokens to attach to a previously printed form to take to the ticket office which might have been busy.

Even if I had made my booked train at York I would only have had around 15 or so minutes between arriving and departing on the Heysham service, hence it was probably worth spending a bit extra to get usage up for the S&C line rover ;)

As for the fester, it could have been a lot worse, at least I had an enclosed waiting room, a nearby cafe and little shop/pub, so not quite in the same league of 150 minutes at a random station on the Kyle line
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well done for doing some normally awkward bits at the far extremities of Midland Railway metals.

I was drawing up a plan a few months ago to take advantage of the revised service, but sort of abandoned that to concentrate on other areas of the network.

Regarding the Blackpool trams, I first sampled them back in 1990. They were double decker trams back then. Did you come across any double decker trams at all?

There was at least one heritage double decker tram out on the Sunday as I think it was a special weekend where the heritage trams ran all the way to Fleetwood rather than the short workings, looked like £10 for a day ticket which included the regular service trams and buses.

Hopefully the remaining 5 shacks on the southern end will fall in a couple weeks time leaving Long Preston & Gargrave which are mostly served by the Lancaster trains
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Ah OK - makes sense not going for it then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top