• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
I really enjoyed the reads there Kite, really liked the photographs too.

Looking forward to your next trip report!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
28th August – The Only Way is Three plus Two

The idea of today was a trip to Essex to finish my remaining shacks in the former First Great Eastern area of Greater Anglia land, with a detour to visit the Felixstowe branch, with the end goal having only 1 station left to visit. I wanted to get this trip out of the way before various weekend closures close the GEML between London & Witham (even today it was closed between Liverpool Street & Stratford, plus north of Ipswich).

A short walk after checking out of the Easy Hotel in Croydon, via Sainsburys for a mild supply raid, before catching a London Bridge service which called at every station between Easy Croydon and New Cross Gate, at least 455815 gave some good motor thrash accelerating between stations. I bailed at New Cross Gate to change onto a following LO service (saving a bit of money to avoid zone 1 at probably a couple minute time penalty). Super dud 378226 did the honours (I was hoping for a 378 only in my book as a bus stop leap within the ELL core) to Canada Water, where I leapt onto duds 96123/96124 for the long run to Stratford.

Due to Lizzie Line works, the GEML was 2-track this morning, so it was the usual Sunday timetable of the half hourly Southend Victoria services calling at all stations after Romford, the first Southend service was a dud 321, so I gave that a miss to take a seat on the Ipswich fast service sat on platform 9. Low mileage dud 321335 was leading winner 321313, and needless to say I sat in the motor coach of 313 for some high speed 321 action, as after an off-pattern call at Shenfield it was non-stop to Colchester, arriving a few minutes early. I stayed on however to the end of the service at Ipswich, where after a pause the train was brought into the southern end of platform 2, as a 170 was sat bound for Lowestoft was at the northern end.

I got a slight shock when I saw what was on the first service to Felixstowe this morning, as it wasn’t a 153. It wasn’t even a 156, but it was 170202 (which looking at RTT it seems this service is summer only, and the unit once returned at Ipswich forms a Cambridge bound service, swapping with a 153 arriving from Cambridge). Anyhow taking a seat in the middle coach of the 170 for the short run to Trimley, a single platform station just before the line to Felixstowe docks branches off to the North Docks, with a disused platform on that track used for when passenger services ran to Felixstowe Pier. Anyhow it wasn’t long to fester at Trimley (as expected no freight movements due to it being a Sunday) and 170202 returned to take me to Westerfield.

Westerfield is a strange station, it is on the Lowestoft line, however during the week (and Saturdays) the majority of the Lowestoft services rush through without stopping, but on Sundays the services call, which 30 minutes later a busy dud 170272 arrived to take me to Ipswich, where I had two options to take me up to Manningtree, the first was a pair of dud 321s on a fast service, with a pair of 360s departing half an hour or so later on a stopping service. I had planned to swing via the WH Smiths at Ipswich station for some lunch; however it was closed, so to kill some time I went for a walk to Ipswich town centre. Not the most pleasant of walks, but 12 minutes later I reached signs of life, and shops, grabbing a meal-deal from Boots before walking back to Ipswich station, dodging idiotic teenagers walking side by side down a narrow pavement.

Back at Ipswich station and over the footbridge and onto 360111 & 360120, the toilet was locked out of use on 120 which was a pain, but at least the run to Manningtree pushed another 360 over the 10-mile mark. The service from Harwich was running late which meant some unhappy passengers missed their connection, but it regained right time after swinging via the toilet at Manningtree, as I boarded 360101 to take me to the basic Wrabness. Nothing much of interest, a small local shop was nearby the barrow crossing station, so I sat in the little shelter to have my lunch waiting for 360101 to roll back in from Harwich Town to take me to Mistley. Another basic station, this time with a nice (disused) station building, but another barrow crossing station, and a short fester as it had started to rain. 360101 returned to take me alongside a quite scenic line (running alongside the river) before reaching the docks featuring some large ships, and some 321s stabled in sidings. I remained on board as it went into single line after Harwich International (the 2nd track is still in place, just not used), to alight at Dovercourt.

A short wait at Dovercourt (seemed to be a typical small town), before 360101 returned to become a super-dud of the day, arriving back at Manningtree, thankfully on time before the next Stratford bound service rolled in. Duds 321309 & 321446 rolled in to take me to platform 4 at Colchester, where it was a short walk towards platform 1 to wait a few minutes before the next Clacton-On-Sea service rolled in, as expected it was a pair of 360s, with 360110 & 360107 doing the honours to taking me to Alresford for a tight +3 (be at the front of the train) to the other platform to board 360108 & 360113 back to Colchester for a short fester, but I was happy that I pulled off that +3 as it meant I could grab the next station now, rather than after my trip on the dogbox. 360109 & 360114 rolled in from Ipswich to take me 9 and a half miles to Kelvedon to clear the line from Liverpool Street to Norwich, my last GA EMU shack.

Nothing much of note around Kelvedon, apart from an old footbridge at the Colchester end of the station, and it wasn’t that long before 360106 & 360118 rolled in to take me back to Marks Tey. A short platform change to the Sudbury line where 153306 was waiting, and a right time departure to give me some much needed DBT to Bures, watching as the dogbox departed from the single platform which has a shed on it for a waiting room. A quick look around the area found nothing of interest, apart from a station garden, the rain had restarted so it was a fester within the shed for 153306 to return to take me to Chappel & Wakes Colne, opposite the East Anglia Railway Museum which was having a “Thomas the Tank Engine” family day. However the heavens opened as I alighted from the 153, and I wasn’t alone in seeking shelter from the monsoon. A nice little station building with history, and families from the little steam engine, the rain had ended allowing me to have a wonder around, looking at a grand station building, watching as the 153 departed back towards Sudbury.

Nothing much around the station itself and with the rain threating to make a comeback it was to the safety of the canopy and a short wait later 153306 returned to take me back to Marks Tey. 360117 & 360119 was up next to take me to Shenfield, where I decided to step back a train for some 321s from Southend (as a time wasting move, my original plan would have been to catch the 19:45 to Salisbury from Waterloo, but those extra services got cancelled today due to engineering works). However when winner 321302 rolled in with dud 321357 on the back it made the wait worthwhile on the run back to Stratford crossing over to roll into platform 10A.

A long walk to the jubilee line platforms, for a quick scan, picking out a required set on the 2nd departure, so it was on board dud 96090 leading winner 96021 for some 96 stock motor thrash to Waterloo. As I was heading for the way out, 96025 rolled in on the other platform, attached with 96036, so back to Southwark, jumping onto duds 96012/96077 back for the 21 chain leap to Waterloo. Swinging via Tesco Express (cos Sainsburys once more was empty of anything Sandwich related, making me wonder if it is delivery issues) for a meal-deal for dinner, and it was onto 159020 leading 159007 & 159106 for a speedy run back to Andover, allowing me to drive home to relax and reflect on a successful day, leaving just West Runton to get in Anglia land, a job for a Sunday (which is likely looking to be on the 30th October due to various engineering works).

Anyhow some pictures:
Tonight Matthew, I’m going to be a... 153!

The old station building at Trimley:


National Express lives!


170202 departing Westerfield:


The branch line comes away pretty much straight away after the platform ends:


Wrabness:


Mistley:


Dovercourt (disused line on the left hand side):


Any guesses what this is used for at Hythe?


Stratford bound 360108 arrives into Alresford:


Kelvedon:


153306 at Bures:


Look at that rain:


A new sighting:



------------

29th August – A day on LU

Today was going to be a nice social meet-up with my good friend Techni, who was down in London bashing LU to clear all the LU stations. As it was a bank holiday there was no peak-time restrictions, and with my high-viz jacket on I walked to the local station in the dark for the 05:27 service. I was surprised the TVM recognised it was a bank holiday, as I purchased my travel-card and waited for 159015 to roll in for a speedy run to Woking, where we got held at the platform for an empty 450 from the branch line to get put ahead as it was running late.

Once into Waterloo, I crossed over to Waterloo East, and after a couple dud services (witnessing someone sat on platform A listening to music not hearing the platform announcement that a Sevenoaks stopper had been shifted to platform C, and hence missing the half hourly service), before dud 375605 took me to the new platform 7 at London Bridge. Blimey that concourse underneath the platform appeared to be massive as I made use of it to go to platform 9 for the next Charing Cross bound service.

In rolled 465184 & 465248 to take me to Waterloo East, where after a quick PNB using the free toilets on platform B I was going to head over to Waterloo main to meet up with Techni, however that plan got put on hold with the appearance of required 465921 attached with 466009 to take me to Charing Cross. Swinging via the Co-Op before heading down to the ‘old’ entrance to Charing Cross underground station to meet up, and make a rough plan of attack, of which the moes were as followed:

3531/3264 to Piccadilly Circus
107/138 to Barons Court (a filler move as this Piccadilly was heading to Heathrow, making use of the cross platform interchange to the district line)
21539/540 to Hammersmith
251/184 to North Ealing
128/125 to Park Royale
252/103 to Alperton (Nice Night tube livery)
119/124 to Sudbury Town
226/856 to South Harrow
866/216 to Eastcote (onto the shared section with the Metropolitan line)
21085/086 to Ruislip Manor
21101/21102 to Ickenham
21053/21054 to Hillingdon (I’ve previously used this station to get to a musical event at Wembley, but never logged it)
872/249 to Uxbridge, for a PNB via the shopping centre.
21079/080 to Ruislip.

We decided to take a bus to avoid a mile(ish) walk to Ruislip Gardens, however it would have been quicker to walk as bus 8875 working a route “E7” to Ealing Broadway took an indirect route and was a few minutes late. However it was onto the Central line, with winning units in bold:
91063, 92186, 92122, 91079 to Perivale
91105, 92110, 91183, 91035 to Greenford (filter move due to 8 minute wait showing at Perivale)
91113, 92208, 91127, 91005 to Hanger Lane
91221, 92200, 92006, 91201 to North Acton, changing platforms
91317, 92170, 92428, 91243 to West Acton
91157, 92074, 92114, 91077 to Ealing Broadway.

Crossing over to the main-line side, it wasn’t long before 165127 & 166214 rolled in, annoyingly both toilets on 214 were locked out of use (involving a quick dive onto 127 once at Paddington), coffee time for Techni as I spotted 387132/387133 on test. It was down to the Bakeroven for 3244/3537 to a chaotic Oxford Circus, where we decided to jump on the first Central line service out of there, and out of the warmth to Leyton.

91183, 92182, 92056, 91251 to Leyton
91075, 92162, 92196, 91297 to Debden
91199, 92156, 92028, 91129 to Theydon Bois (by this time Techni was buzzing as all shacks had been complete, but we didn’t have long before the next London bound service was due.
91165, 92434, 92440, 91343 to Leytonstone for a PNB
91207, 92060, 92040, 91345 for a busy service which sat at Leytonstone for a good couple minutes.

Heading down to the DLR platforms, a dud pair was spotted heading towards Woolwich, but a required unit for Techni was on the next Stratford International service, so it was to Stratford International on 108/150, remaining on board 150 to West Ham. Winner 10 and dud 44 (winner for Techni I believe) back to Abbey Road, before dud 46 & winner 47 back to West Ham. Heading up to the C2C platforms, it was dud 357032 to Limehouse, followed by 357035/357027 to Fenchurch Street.

A short walk to Tower Hill and the next service was a circle line, winner 21407/408 which got very cosy after Victoria with cardinal goers, non-stop via Notting Hill Gate, but emptied out at stations either side (a shame because the lady in front had a very nice bum). A quick smoking break before boarding the service for Swansea, sadly it was a pair of dud 43s, with 43092 leading 43140 for the rather empty (in coach C) trip to Reading, where I said farewell and headed over towards platform 3, with an idea of boarding the Bournemouth bound XC service to give me 25 or so minutes at Basingstoke.

The Southampton bound XC service from Newcastle was running around 25-minutes late, so I boarded 220011 (on the grounds that it will probably be emptier) for the short run down to Basingstoke, swinging via a couple little shops for something cold to drink and a light snack. Returning to the station to wait before 159005 rolled in to take me back to Grateley, with a short walk home in the sunshine.

A very successful day for me with lots of new LU stock, and a very good social day with Techni as he completed his LU shacks, never again does he have to worry about Theydon Bois ;)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I thought you had done better than that on the Central line, as you'll have seen I did far better. Mind you, when I needed 236 Central line sets before the trip that shouldn't be a surprise! Still need 201 of them...At least you did better than me on the Piccadilly line. Surprise surprise, I'm planning to do an absolute mega-fudge load of linear leaps through the core on both lines to bring the numbers down. Same on the dreaded Northern line, oh boy won't that be so much fun...

Another pair of excellent reads there, and thanks for the excellent company which made Tube bashing much more entertaining! Now bring on 2018 and that ALR we've already started planning!
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, I'm having enough trouble keeping my own trip reports up to date let alone catching up with your reports. Your Bank Holiday Bonanza seemed to be very varied and productive particularly that leap around the Great Eastern. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour on the Saturday even if you locked horns with a jobsworth at Carlisle!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
The good thing with the tour was the speed on the main line, better than some tours where the last couple hours seem to drag.

Although with the mornings getting darker and evenings slowly drawing in, shows autumn is on its way.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like another good couple of days there! I certainly a approve at the dustys!
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Theydon bois, Theydon bois
Lace up boots and cordurois
:)

A cracking weekend out, plenty of variety, winners, shacks and good company.

I'm unsurprised at your WH Smith problems. The ones in Rochdale and at Leeds station also seem to be staffed by the lower end of the gene pool.

Bit disappointed that the sun appeared to be shining at Mistley. If ever a shack should be swathed in permanent fog, with the creaking rigging of a ghostly tea clipper heading upriver as a soundtrack, its this one.

Interesting reference to cardinal goers on the tube. I didn't think they had conclaves at Notting Hill..:) Well jealous of the bottom, though - always a required sight!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
The bottom was good, didn't think that much about the top half, at a glance it looked like she had a make-up shower before going out.

As for the Cardinals, oops
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
Really enjoyed reading that Kite. Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That was a very enjoyable read Kite. Thanks.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
I wonder if there are any big events planned for the Cardiff area on the 19th November?

Looks like Queen Street is set-down only after 16:00 to the end of service so something appears to be happening within the city, which appears to suggest some Rugby match at the old Millennium Stadium, of Wales against Japan, kicking off at 14:30, so in theory by 20:00 most of the crowds should have disappeared?

*Ponders, as I was hoping to have a good visiting session to those shacks north of Pontypridd on that day, but if the queuing system was anything to go by last time where long distance travellers interchanging at Central got kicked out to join a large queue of short distance hoppers than it might not be worth it*
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
3rd September – A Wayfarer of the Greater Manchester, day 1

The idea of this weekend was to have a good session on my remaining areas of the GM Wayfarer, plus making a start at some Metrolink stops. A short walk into the light in the darkness of Saturday morning for the 05:27 service, formed this morning of a very quiet 159101 for the nice run into Waterloo, arriving pretty much on time without any random spotting of flying pigs, or bananas. Down to the Northern line for a spot of linear hopping as I was booked onto the 07:35 (or so) departure to Manchester, so I had time to kill.

The first service had just rolled in when I reached the platform, so I did what I normally do and jumped on before checking the set numbers, happily my gamble paid off with winners 51704/51520 to Tottenham Court Road, closely followed by another pair of required 1995 stock in the shape of 51712/51574 to Euston itself. A quick swing via a TVM to put some extra money onto my oyster card before getting ready to board the service to Manchester, which avoids Stoke and goes via Crewe, sadly it was formed of dud 390153, but I had one of the better standard class seats in the shape of C9 (good window view, with the ability to use the window sill as an arm-rest).

Some good tilting later pausing briefly at Milton Keynes Central and Crewe before leaving the main-line to head towards Stockport (giving me a crazy idea of somehow putting platforms on the freight dive-under lines for use by the services to avoid crossing over the Up line), I alighted at Stockport, with some time to kill before the next Chester bound service wasn’t for a fair while, a few dud services later and the next Virgin service, which was winner 390049 for the run into Manchester Piccadilly, where my wayfarer failed to open the ticket gates.

A quick swing via Sainsburys to pick up items for lunch before heading via the manual gateline to board the next Chester service, which was formed of a low mileage 142028 leading high mileage 150207, as I would be on this service for some time I decided to sit in the bay of 4 at the front of the 150 (opposite the bike/luggage rack). The service was well loaded after a couple stops with passengers heading out to do an ‘ale trail’, but soon enough the first station was reached in the shape of Greenbank. A pleasant enough station with a road bridge at the Chester end, which made it easy to change platforms in time (even if I was delayed in alighting from the 150 due to somebody standing in front of the door buttons and not realising that someone might want to press said button to open the door).

Next up was dud 156466 working back to Manchester, it was a minute late and the station I wanted to alight at had a +1 to get between platforms via a road bridge, thankfully on checking RTT saw the next Chester service departed Manchester 5 minutes late, so I had hope of being able to pull of the connection at Ashley, a remote station serving a small village, however a fast walk up the access road and across to the other platform with the next service spotted in the near distance, giving me a minute or so to wait in the rain (which was pretty much non-stop) as busy dud 150136 rolled in. I was quite happy to being able to make the connection as it saved a 2 mile walk, which due to the weather I would have probably ditched that plan and had an hour festering at Ashley.

I alighted from the 150 at Northwich, which had a large Tesco next to the station, and the main Manchester platform covered with a leaking canopy. The next service was running around 8 minutes late (late departing Chester due to a late ATW service), which gave me a puzzle as I had previously noted that Mobberley was a level crossing on a little lane, and with the connection reduced to a +2 would the barriers rise between services. I decided not to risk it when 150207/142028 returned from Chester, this time taking a seat in the pacer (for it was quieter) and bailed at Knutsford, where an hour ago had some revenue protection guys by the platform entrance (so I had my ticket in hand ready to show them to leave) but they had gone.

Another nice Cheshire station, although shelter on the Chester side could have been better than a single bench style seat under a small canopy, as that area got quite busy waiting for the next service, which was formed of dud 150143 leading an unknown unit, as it was running late and the rain was still coming down I jumped on the front unit, grabbing the ID of the rear 150 as dud 150111 once I had alighted at Lostock Gralam (which completes the Lostock trio). Another basic shack, but another decent waiting shelter (one which kept out the rain), although sadly I wasn’t alone in my fester as a chav was also in the shelter, smoking some sort of drug (judging by the smell), drinking cheap alcohol from a plastic bottle (something like White Lightning) and playing ‘death-rap’ leaking quite badly from ill-fitting earphones. Even with the rain I decided to have a walk from the poor excuse for a youngster to avoid getting smoked out (and going deaf from the ‘music’ where most words were swear words).

150136 returned from Chester, thankfully pretty much on time to take me to the level crossing shack of Mobberley where my fears from an hour ago was sound as the level crossing came down a good few minutes before the return of 156466 to my final station on the Mid-Cheshire line at Professor Plumley. Another pleasant looking station, with another good waiting shelter (I was expecting some of those Welsh style useless shelters where there is a massive gap between the top of the walls & the roof), although once more I wasn’t alone in my 30 minute fester as there was a couple of girls talking about which universities they were going to apply for (so at a guess 2nd year of college), but I didn’t mind as they were stunning to look at (and wearing the right style of clothes, but enough about my pervy mind)

30 minutes later, 150111 & 150143 had returned, and taking up a seat in 150111 this time for the run back towards Stockport, where I decided to bail to chance my luck with something else, sadly it was the return of a late running 390153, followed by 390005 to take me to Piccadilly. As I fired up Google Maps to find the route to the hotel, bumping into forum member ‘Crossover’ outside the station as he was on route towards Liverpool. A short chat and walk later (blah at the rain) I reached the guest house above a pub, checked in dumping some weight from the bag and headed back out to face the rain. The guest house was a couple minute walk from Shudehill Interchange, with winner tram 3073 taking me the tiny distance to Manchester Victoria (which has a lovely roof). I had 3 options for a linear hop to Salford, sadly all three were dud, so I jumped onto the 2nd departure (as the 1st was a through service and was busy).

An extra mile and 3 quarters for 156482 & 142057 to the island platform at Salford Crescent, for a short wait for a Southport bound service to roll in, sadly that was also a dud so I gave that a miss before dud (I am having such rubbish luck today for required Northern units) 150144 to Hall I’ the’ Wood. A complete world away from earlier, with a basic shack with a leaking shelter on an embankment, beware for any future station bashers that the platforms are staggered across a busy road (with long stepped ramps down to road level). Making use of some peak-time extra services up the normally hourly line towards Blackburn, it was a short wait for dud 156488 to take me to Darwen, another evil looking station to get between platforms in a hurry, however I had a 30 minute wait here, and Google Maps suggested a nearby Asda, so I went for a walk.

15 (or so) minutes later I returned to Darwen station to relax when eating my duck wrap, as duds 153328 & 150145 rolled in for the short hop back towards Manchester for the request stop of Entwistle, which far as I could tell only existed to serve the nearby pub (which looked quite busy). A couple youngsters were near the station who asked about the next train towards Darwen, which I said was in around 10 or so minutes, they must not had believe me and checked the timetable looking at the Monday – Friday timetable rather than the Saturday timetable and got the wrong time before disappearing. As the rain was still coming down I decided to hide out for the remaining 20 minutes in the shelter, away from the driver’s view so he didn’t accidently stop (didn’t matter as the 150 stopped anyhow to allow some more passengers off to head to the pub), those youngsters reappeared at the time they through it was going to be, only to be disappointed by some other passengers who said the next was in an hour, and they wouldn’t recommend walking to Darwen which was a good 6 or so miles down little country lanes.

Anyhow, a few minutes later 150144 returned from Clitheroe, to take me down to Bolton, where a short wait produced 156440 from Blackpool to take me to Salford Crescent (as a time wasting move). A few minutes later duds 150112 & 150268 rolled in from Kirkby to take me back to Victoria, where I remained on board for the 15 minute fester at the station as it was a service which continued onto Blackburn via Burnley. I alighted at my final Transport for Greater Manchester heavy rail shack at Smithy Bridge to get rid of a major bug (3rd time I’ve attempted this shack, 1st was bowled out by delays, 2nd was a cancellation). Over the level crossing and a short wait before dud 158759 rolled in from Leeds to take me to Rochdale.

It was time to tackle some Metrolink, after an issue with a beggar lady (who was claiming to want some cash to get home to one of the little stations on the Blackpool South branch [next to St Annes], wanting an odd amount (something like £17.32), she soon buggered off when I offered to ask the guard of the next service if he would do an unpaid fares notice to allow her to get home. Anyhow after that I wanted to get away as fast as possible, so as per light rail tradition my moves were as followed, using a 2 stops forward 1 stop back method, I got a bit carried away:

3087 to Kingsway Business Park
3088 to Newbold
3113 to Newhey
3118 to Milnrow
3096 to Oldham Mumps
3093 to Derker
3118 to Oldham King Street
3087 to Oldham Central (it had returned from Exchange Square)
3104 to South Chadderton
3088 to Freehold (RPI block here, a few passengers spotted being given standard fare notices)
3114 to Newton Heath & Moston (where I got confused by the single platform)
3118 to Failsworth
3093 to Monsall
3114 to Central Park
3099 to Victoria

I had missed a couple stops out, but they could wait for another day as I had covered all the trams on Exchange Square – Rochdale services. A short wait before winner 3064 took me to Market Street for 3029 forward to Piccadilly Gardens to score some new track. 3075 was up next to take me on the other side of the triangle to the reopened (and rebuilt) St Peter’s Square (I had it previously but it is classed as a new light rail shack due to being rebuilt).

3041/3034 took me back to Piccadilly Gardens, closely followed by 3005 to Piccadilly itself. Over to the other platform and my final move of the evening was a busy 3046 to Shudehill to cover the other new track. A short walk back to the guest house (dodging various drunken party goers), a short shower as I waited for the noise from the smokers to die down for a decent night’s sleep, although gave me a chance to reflect on a successful day shack wise, not so much unit wise.

One odd observation was with 150144, one coach had the Bay style 3+2 seating, whereas the other coach had the airline style 3+2 seating.

A couple pictures (I would have taken more, but it was horrid weather):
150136 loading at Northwich, note the distance from the shelter to the front door of the unit:


Quinn 28 at Knutsford:


---------

4th September – A Wayfarer of the Greater Manchester, day the second

An early (ish) start as I checked out and walked towards Piccadilly, swinging via the ticket office to purchase a Wayfarer for the day (which is something I should have done the previous day due to a large queue). I swung via Sainsburys to pick up a bite to eat for later, only to be shocked as the items in the meal-deal have been axed (due to a rebrand called “On the Go”), the only items left are sandwiches & pasta pots [which lack little plastic forks in which to eat said pasta, not really an “On the Go” item]. Gone are the lovely baguettes, the salad boxes and the carrot cake :(

The plan of this morning was to recover what I ditched back in June time due to delays caused by Brigg and horrid weather, after noting that on a summer Sunday the Manchester – Sheffield local stopping services are hourly and unlike on Saturdays where they pass at Hope, they pass inside Totley tunnel (and having a good layover at Sheffield), which gave me an idea to grab my last 4 ‘EMT’ served shacks on the Hope Valley

Anyhow, to platform 1 where a trio of units had arrived from depot, noting a required 142 was at the rear of the trio, and a couple minutes before departure the doors on dud 156459 were unlocked as I climbed on board for the run via Reddish North towards Hope. Noting that the weather (which had been poor) was trying to improve, and also a handy footbridge at the Sheffield end, so in theory if the train from Sheffield was on time someone could make the +1 to a Sheffield bound service. Beautiful scenery with a few walkers boarding the early morning service, as I had a 40 minute fester for the next service from Manchester, spent enjoying the silence before dud 150148 rolled in.

A bit more busier this service as I took it to Hathersage, crossing over to the other platform by use of a handy subway, another basic station in Derbyshire but a nice play to fester for 10 or so minutes before 156459 returned from Sheffield for the nice run back past sidings full of wagons (plus a Freightliner 66 hiding) to Edale, a lot of passengers boarded at Edale from the youth hostel judging by their backpacks, but it was another gentle walk in the rain to the other platform for a hopeful winning unit.

My luck had finally turned as in rolled winner 142031 to take me to the limit of the Wayfarer at Grindleford which is just outside Totley tunnel, however this time the service from Sheffield was an odd-timed departure giving me a +8 rather than a +3, however it was easy enough to cross over to the other side, and grab a good seat on the return of 150148 all the way back to Manchester, getting rather cosy after New Mills but rolling into Piccadilly pretty much on time. I had two options of either doing some unit hunts or Metrolink, and I decided to hunt units.

Although for the first hour I would have been better off sticking with metrolink as the only required unit I spotted was a 390 which was departing just as the service from Sheffield was arriving, and a 185 which ran fast to Huddersfield. After some walking round the station I was almost going to call it a day before a pair of 156s from Blackpool rolled in on route to the Airport, with winner 156427 leading winner 156428, so I was airport bound, away from Piccadilly at long last.

Looking at RTT it appeared I had arrived into the airport at not the best of times, the next departure was a dud 185 I saw earlier, followed by the same pair of 156s, so I decided to head over to the Metrolink platform, passing a revenue block and eventually 3101 rolled in to take me one stop to Shadowmoss, a quick hop over to the other platform for a couple minute fester for winner 3089 back to the Airport. A dud 319 was the next departure, followed by a Cleethorpes bound 185 which was dud, a service from Scotland was due in and so if that was dud I would probably have jumped back onto the trams to work back towards the city centre.

However the trams would have to wait, as my final 350/4 had finally decided to show itself at a time where I could catch it, so with a smile upon my face I boarded winner 350410 leading dud 350408, making use of the plug socket for a quick charge of my tablet, on a good run back to Piccadilly. It was time for some more unit hunting, and thankfully my search didn’t last for long as I spotted winner 175106 awaiting departure towards Cardiff, so onto the ‘hippo’ for the short run to Stockport, with a couple options to get me back towards Manchester. First up was a dud 185 from Doncaster, then a dud 390, but finally winner 175113 from Wales. Only 175112 remains of the 3-coach 175s so I was happy, with the plan now being on metrolink, however I wanted to head over to platform 13 first as a service from Southport was due in.

I never made it to see what was on that service from Southport as a delayed TPE from Liverpool was rolling in, a quick check saw it calling at Stalybridge with a reasonable connection, so it was onto winner 185146 for the short run to Stalybridge. A lot of coal wagons were in the sidings alongside the Guide Bridge – Stalybridge section of track, but the 185 rolled into Stalybridge a few minutes late with a Huddersfield stopper being held outside the junction. The stopper was a dud 150+142 which I turned down the chance for a run to Mossley on as IIRC Mossley isn’t the nicest of stations to get between platforms in a hurry.

Over to the other platform for a short sit in the sunshine, before a pair of pacers rolled in on route to Victoria, my good run continued with winner 142048 being at the front attached with dud 142054 which was locked out of use. To Victoria where I spotted a 142 working a service towards Leeds via Bradford (ouch!), nothing of interest departing towards Salford giving any sort of decent connection, so I headed direct to the tram platforms. First up was a dud tram on route towards Piccadilly, next up was dud 3029 which I took to St Peter’s Square, as a time wasting move. A good move as next up was winner 3100 taken for the short hop to Deansgate-Castlefield, crossing over the bridge to Deansgate station for a short wait before the stopper from Liverpool via Warrington, which was a required move to take me to Oxford Road.

Winner 142041 attached with dud 156460 rolled in taking my required 142s down to single figures. It was only for 29 chains but it is in the book. A dud 175 was up next which I gave it a miss in exchange for extra 43 chains of distance for 158854 & 158862 to Piccadilly, jumping back to Oxford Road on duds 185111 & 185109 working a Northern service to Blackpool & Barrow. Sadly my luck appeared to have run out as next up was dud 185101 (after a busy 156 from Blackpool), back to Piccadilly where I spotted a required 185 on the next Cleethorpes service, so boarding 185134 for the short run to Stockport.

390043 was next to take me back to Piccadilly, where 390020 would be on my booked train home (annoyingly I had followed that missed 390 from earlier, and RTT was suggesting this service would have been it, so must have had a set swap in Euston). Anyhow once more I was in seat C9 heading via Crewe for some more tilt, although a passenger slightly worse for wear was asleep waking up after Crewe asking “when does this service reach Stoke”, not the best sort of question when the service was running non-stop to Euston with some epic tilting. Arriving pretty much bang on time, it was a short walk to the underground, queuing to go down the single escalator, but with time to kill, it was a short hop to Goodge Street on winners 51631/51632 back to Euston on 51622/51621.

51501/51701 made it three winners in a row to Leicester Square, where my luck ran out with a couple duds before I jumped on 51523/51524 for the short run to Charing Cross, heading up to the main-line platforms (noting that the Northern line ticket hall area is closing for a few months, with passengers advised to use Embankment to access the Northern Line). As expected nothing much of interest at Charing Cross, so it was onto duds 375708 & 375819 to Waterloo East, swinging via McDonalds for some much needed food.

After munching on my chicken burger, it was to the 21:15 to Exeter St Davids, formed tonight of 159006 leading 159101 and 158886, taking a seat in the 158 for some 158 thrash, it was a nifty journey back westbound, arriving into Grateley pretty much on time, giving me a chance to walk home in the pitch black, reflecting on a mostly successful day leaving only 3 185s left to locate in the vast TPE network.

Anyhow some pictures:
156459 at a wet Hope:


150148 departing Hathersage:


142031 at Grindleford (that is the NRDMUG for you!):


Big tunnel:


Partly Rebuilt St Peter’s Square:
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Whats the ticket hall closure at Charing Cross for?


Sounds a lot of fun and good read there. Was that accom in Manchester any good?
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Apart from the chav at Lostock Gralam it sounds like a good time! Hell with the Sainsbury's too! Why oh why? Did you notice if they still have the chicken triple sarnie...? If not then I think I'll flag Sainsbury's in future.
 

45135

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2014
Messages
107
A nice scenic (in parts) day there. The Calder Valley route isn't too bad, even on a 142 - I've used it on my last few Manchester moves as it's about the same journey time from home, less wedged and cheaper, although I wouldn't say that I just can't get enough of it.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Apart from the chav at Lostock Gralam it sounds like a good time! Hell with the Sainsbury's too! Why oh why? Did you notice if they still have the chicken triple sarnie...? If not then I think I'll flag Sainsbury's in future.

I didn't check, but is has caused "uproar" on social media going by the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...over-sainsburys-3-on-the-go-meal-deal-changes

It seems Sainsburys has changed sandwich provider, so the future doesn't look bright if that sandwich provider is anything to do with "Urban Eats". But I dare say the number of "premium" sandwiches will be slowly dropped with the massive decrease of sales, afterall you would be a tad mad to pay £3 for one on it's own.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chicken Triple has fallen to the Meal-Deal 'Axe'.

And that doesn't include the changes to the Tuna Pasta pots which have got rid of a fork (shaped object) which used to be attached to the lid, now you need to pick up a fork from elsewhere to eat it "on the go". :lol:
 

alexf380

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
1,417
Location
Musselburgh, Scotland
All over the news and my facebook, so it was. I certainly was disappointed to hear of Sainsburys' decision to axe half the meal deal stuff. Their chicken and spicy pepper sub roll was one of the best meal deal items I've sampled.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Two excellent reads there Kite! I won't comment on your pervy mind at that one shack ;)

Some absolute terrible fortune on Day 1 for Northern requirements, but overall across the two days you've sure done well. Getting down to single figures of 142s is good going, I still need 24 of the infernal things!

You've got the TPP Mode side of my brain ticking away quite a bit, as I need so very much in the North that I need to get up there and rectify that. You're 3 185s ahead of me, another reason I need to get up there again. Yet more plans to decide amongst for January's week off, although do I really want to head north in the winter?!

Fingers crossed for this weekend generating better fortune with the NRDMUG for you!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
10th September – The next report, by request, will be a South Yorkshire day


The idea of today was to have a clear out of my remaining South Yorkshire shacks, a plan changed due to the Brigg incident, but the main part of the day would be to grab two more shacks in North Yorkshire, one semi-limited served one plus an hourly station which I had never called at previously. I woke up and noticed that it was rather wet outside at 05:00 so I decided to take the car to the station (even then I got wet going purchasing the car parking ticket from the TVM and placing it into the car). Anyhow the 05:27 this morning was running and was rather empty as 159002 rolled in; placing this unit closer to 2000 miles (another trip to London will see it becoming member 1 of the club).

At Basingstoke, a large group of football fans joined, and even though it was 06:00 they were drinking the cheap mass produced lager, anyhow a right time arrival into Waterloo, and with a short walk over to Waterloo East I jumped on the first available movement towards Charing Cross, which was formed of 465155 & 465245 (both now super-duds with 4 trips on each). Swinging via the Co-Op to pick up a couple items (mainly a Sausage Roll as the Co-Op does the best sausage roll in my view), before walking back through Charing Cross and out of the other side to reach Embankment.

The first service was a dud S7, which I allowed to depart, being rewarded with a D-stock movement, as set 7101 was leading dud set 7508 it was a short hop to Temple, for a short wait for winners 21347/348 to take me another tiny leap to Blackfriars, with a semi-fast walk to the mainline platforms as I couldn’t quite remember which of the Brighton – Bedford services which departed Brighton around 06:00 was meant to be a 700. Turned out it wasn’t the 06:03 which was formed of 377521 & 377208 which I took for a leap to Farringdon for no other reason than it was a bit chilly at Blackfriars (and gave me a backup with LU in case the other Brighton service was running late). Thankfully it was on-time as winner 700113 rolled in to take me to the Bat-Hollow, my nickname for the low level platforms at St Pancras.

Anyhow a short walk to the light and the EMT platforms at St Pancras to board 222021, strangely enough a dud, my reserved seat was in coach B but that was a bit on the busy side, whereas coach C was mostly empty (and the standard class part of the next coach up was busy), a full ticket check got on the way pretty much straight away out of St Pancras. This was a fast service, so the first stop was at Leicester, followed by Derby, then Chesterfield and finally Sheffield, the train getting busy after Chesterfield, but a comfortable fast journey to Sheffield.

My original plan was to have 45 or so minutes worth of unit hunting between Sheffield & Meadowhall, but I decided to make a start with some of the tram stops out towards Meadowhall instead. To the tram platforms, passing some customer service members of staff selling tickets (looked like one of the universities had an open day) before being allowed to get onto the platform, anyhow my Travelmaster ticket purchased I was onto the platform to await the next city centre bound tram...

...My first Sheffield Tram since May of last year, and it was dud 109 for the short run to Fitzalan Square, crossing over quickly put me onto dud 125 for the run to Hyde Park. Noting that the next station was in sight with a handy road running alongside the track, it was a short walk to Cricket Inn Road arriving to grab winner 106 for the 17 chains leap back to Hyde Park, before crossing over with winner 120 to Nunnery Square, a busy station as it was near a park & ride and also the depot (nothing much to see of the depot from the tram stop, best to view it from the main NR line itself).

Dud 116 took me back to Fitzalan Square, where I decided to walk the ultra tiny distance to Castle Square (those 6 chains could come in handy, and probably the shortest distance between tram stops anywhere in GB?). Anyhow it was winner 124 to take me back to the station, where I had plenty of time to walk down to the Meadowhall facing bays. The next Lincoln bound service was running a few minutes late, and in rolled dud 144006, having a large passenger flow meant a departure a few minutes late, but I wasn’t that worried as I had a good connection at Kiveton Park.

A basic level crossing shack (beware that level crossing came down a good 4 minutes before the train was due), but with a handy shelter to protect me from the rain with decided to resume. A very well loaded winner 142065 was up next to take me to Darnall, where I left at the island platform with some smoking chavs in the subway leading to the outside world, however I decided to remain on the platform, within the little waiting shelter for 144001 to roll in to take me to Kiveton Bridge. A footbridge station, but when I was at the road level I spotted a little “One Stop” shop which due to the rain ending and wanting to waste some time I headed there. A good decision as I picked up a £3 meal-deal for lunch (saves grabbing something at Sheffield), as well as my newspaper, a short walk back to Kiveton Bridge to relax as dud 144011 rolled in to take me back to Sheffield. A case of how different loadings can be, compared to the service an hour earlier this one was mostly empty!

Previously at Sheffield, I had spotted a required 142 heading towards Adwick International Transportation Interchange (or Adwick as otherwise known), and I had a very tight possible connection at Meadowhall, so I decided to aim for it by boarding Leeds bound 158907, getting a good position near the rear doors for a fast walk over the triangle, via some RPIs to head down to platform 1 just as winner 142027 was rolling in. Jumping on to catch my breath back to Sheffield, happy that only 7 more 142s remain for haulage, but I was back on plan with a couple options before the next Leeds via Moorthorpe service was due to depart, the first was a Leeds stopper via Barnsley and that was a dud 150/1, the 2nd was meant to be a TPE, but it was running late. Over to the Southern end of platform 1 where dud 144013 was waiting on a lightly loaded service, keeping an eye out in case that 185 was routed in front of this pacer (as it was due to use the northern end of platform 1), but no 185 was spotted before the pacer departed.

Heading via Rotherham Central, it was a bouncy ride heading towards Leeds via stations I will be visiting later that afternoon (making mental notes of what was around) before being routed into a loop (micro-grice!) south of Moorthorpe to allow a late running XC service to overtake before rolling into Moorthorpe station itself, my 2nd last West Yorkshire station to get. I had a short wait here before the York service was due, the PIS mentioned on announcing the next service will be something along the lines of “Northern are sorry to announce that this service is formed of 1 coach today”, which made me happy as I had spotted a required 153 earlier in the day in the sidings at the southern end of Sheffield.

I was happy as winner 153360 rolled in (as I reckon those 153s will be harder to locate than the 142s), the guard took a quick glance at my Moorthorpe – South Milford ticket questioning the route [was happy with Church Fenton – Micklefield, although I wouldn’t want to do that route due to a long fester at Church Fenton], I suppose whilst not technically a mapped route, it is a lot shorter distance wise than the mapped route via Leeds. Anyhow the 153 contained only 5 other passengers, one alighted at Baghill, and I was the only person alighting at Sherburn-in-Elmet.

A semi-limited served shack (roughly a 2 hour frequency), with a loud pub next to the station. I had Google Maps fired up for the fast walk, following in the footsteps of probably many a station basher via the housing estate along what appears to be a former main-road (cut off at the end with a fence) to reach South Milford. A word of warning, I would say it is at least a 7 minute walk to get between platforms (since a barrow crossing got removed). Anyhow it was a basic shack and wasn’t long before dud 150138 rolled in to take me to Leeds, picking up more passengers along the way, with a large flow of passengers at Leeds itself (the final destination for this 150 was Huddersfield via Bradford).

I don’t normally do this, but to be continued (I is tired)...
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
To be continued? :o;)

A great read so for and I'm looking forward to the rest.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Youve been most unlucky with the weather of late, and unless its still to come no eye candy this trip iether. Sounds fun none the less
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
I was on 130 this morning, and 125 is my highest mileage 185!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Yep, although at the moment I couldn't tell you where & when

My last 3 are 125, 130 & 138 :)

Now I have access to my travels log, I have rode on your name-sake 5 times, looks to have been my 4th 185 into the book :)

------

@ Quinn, I felt tired last night and posted where I got up to.

@BT, aye the weather has been a bit poor the last couple weeks, but it is just the way it goes. Probably better than boiling hot weather on a lot of non AC stock, or walking fast in heat
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Very unusual (if indeed it's ever happened!) for you to not finish a trip report off in one go Kite! An excellent read thus far, I'm certainly looking forward to the rest.

Only needing 7 142s, well jealous!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
10th September – Part 2


Now where was I, oh yes, I was closing my eyes and ignoring the required units around Leeds, swinging via Boots for a meal-deal before the service towards joining the Sheffield via Moorthorpe service, formed of a busy 142050 which did empty out a tad at Wakefield, but was a well loaded service throughout as I alighted at Bolton-Upon-Dearne, for an extended wait for a late running XC service being put out ahead of the next Leeds stopper at Rotherham.

Dud 142024 eventually rolled in 10 or so minutes late, which surprised me as I was expecting it to be the return of 144013 from earlier in the day, with the assumption that the units stayed on the Leeds – Wakefield – Sheffield diagrams, but it appears they interwork with other routes. Anyhow I stayed on for a few minutes to Thurnscoe, and with Google Maps fired up for the mile and a bit walk back down south along several roads to reach my final shack within South Yorkshire of Goldthorpe, another basic station with nothing much to shout about. Dud 144001 from earlier in the day rolled in to take me back towards Meadowhall, pausing at Swinton, where I noted we seemed to have stopped for longer than expected.

Another 144 from Doncaster rolled in alongside 144001 (think it was 144006), and basically due to some vandals throwing bricks/stones/items at trains up ahead the line was blocked whilst the police dealt with the youths (who probably ran away). 18 or so minutes later as I was thinking that the trams would have to wait, the doors closed and we were on the way, getting well loaded at Rotherham before I alighted at Meadowhall to a busy station with many shoppers heading home.

Something must have gone wrong with the trams, as there was a sizable gap, a good 10 minutes before the first tram rolled in displaying “out of service”, before winner 104 rolled in on the other platform. I jumped on to take me round the corner to Tinsley – Meadowhall South. A short wait before dud 116 rolled in to take me the short distance to Carbrook, where I fired up Google Maps and set my course via the retail park car-park to reach Valley Centertainment (not the most easiest of walks).

Dud 120 from earlier in the day took me to Arena - Don Valley where I was going to repeat my walk to reach Attercliffe, but it seemed the route Google Maps wanted to take me was fenced off so I doubled back to the tram stop with required 123 taking me to Attercliffe, I probably should have stayed on and doubled back with the next stop as it would have scored me a required tram, but ah well. Anyhow a short walk later (it is just me or does it seem like a few of the Supertram stops are close enough to walk in between the 10 minute waits?) and my final shack on the Meadowhall branch of the network was scored with Woodbourn Road. Dud 125 took me to Fitzalan Square, which strangely doesn’t have a PIS screen, so after firing up Google, suggesting a 15 minute wait for the next Station bound tram, I walked it back to Sheffield station for the last direct Sheffield – St Pancras service of the evening.

This was formed of 222001, which featured only one working toilet (in first class of all places). No ticket check took place, and the train got busy with drunken football fans at Derby, who thankfully alighted at Leicester (from what it sounded the next Peterborough service was going to be cosy), although they were replaced with some rugby fans, the key difference between the two sports being clear as the rugby fans were not loud, a pleasant enough journey back down to St Pancras. I had previously noted the next Brighton bound Thameslink was meant to be a 700, it was running a few minutes late, so I headed down to the Bat Hollow to have a fester, getting some good 319 motor noise thrash as a 319 departed northbound.

Dud 700102 rolled in to take me down to Blackfriars (those automatically opening doors in the core are amazing!) with a fast walk to the underground station jumping on duds 21469/470 to Embankment, flipping a coin in my head to head to the Northern line platforms to be rewarded with a 3 minute wait, before winners 51612/51613 took me the tiny distance to Waterloo. To the main concourse where 159001 was sat working the 22:20 service to Salisbury and it wasn’t as busy as expected. 159001 was another 159 slowly edging closer to the 2 thousand mile mark (currently on something like 1940 miles), a right time arrival into Grateley with a short drive home, giving me chance to reflect on my scores of the day, both units and also shacks.

Anyhow a few pictures:
144001 at Kiveton Bridge:


Tiny level crossing gates at Sherburn-in-Elmet:


Going for Gold(thorpe)!


----------------

11th September – The Nifty Fifty, a Red-Pen Day

I wanted to have a nice lazy day, but instead decided to have a red pen day in London, mainly because next Sunday it will be a lazy day, mostly sitting on a HST for 9 hours and 45 minutes from Inverness to Kings Cross, via Carlisle (in 1st class). Anyhow with a short drive to Andover I was ready for the 07:44(ish) service to Waterloo, which due to engineering works was starting from Andover this morning. It was a busy 159016 taking me to Waterloo this morning, with a challenge of getting 50 winners.

Swinging via Tesco Express for something warm, I headed down to the Jubilee line platforms, with the aim of getting to London Bridge to catch a 700 worked service to East Croydon for some trams. I took up my usual position (between the two half units on a Jubilee set, to grab the ID of both halves with ease). The first service was dud, but that was followed a minute later with winner 96009 & dud 96096 to Southwark, another minute later I was back on the move on 96111/96112 to London Bridge, followed by 96047/96014 to Bermondsey.

Duds 96096 & 96049 took me back to London Bridge, where I had a fast walk via the diverted route at London Bridge to reach the low level platforms, where winner 700111 was working a Brighton service (the core was closed today for engineering works which gave an odd London Bridge – Wimbledon 319 working which ran non-stop to Sutton before going via Keith-town to Wimbledon. Anyhow a busy unit but the front coaches were empty as I took up a seat for the 10 mile & 28 chain journey to East Croydon, arriving a minute or so early, it was another 700 into the book with a decent run.

Outside of the station, I had just missed a required tram heading towards New Addington, so something to note for later, as I took up a seat in the shade (for the sun was shining) watching the trams go by before winner 2545 took me to Lebanon Road, where in need of a toilet break I jumped onto dud 2563 back down the hill to East Croydon, heading through the barriers to make use of the toilets, noting that an Uckfield bound service was due from platform 6 in a few minutes so I decided to have a lookie, a good call as in rolled 2 thirds of the former 170423. Although it is now known as 171202 which is required both for haulage and for sight, so climbing on board the former 1st class area which has kept the 1st class seating from Scotrail, I took a seat for the 5 mile run to rural zone 6 at Upper Warlingham.

5 or so minutes later a London Victoria bound service rolled in, formed of 377301 & 377320 to take me back to East Croydon, making use I used the toilet before alighting, and exiting the station to hunt some more trams down. The first 20 minutes wasn’t much cope, before winner 2557 rolled in bound for Wimbledon, which I took as far as George Street before deciding to walk back to East Croydon station, jumping on 2563 for the 2nd time of the day to Lebanon Road, thinking it was a nicer place to fester for trams than East Croydon.

After witnessing three buses arriving at once on the other side of the road, and several trams later I was back on the move with 2560 to East Croydon, jumping on dud 2545 back to Lebanon Road, thinking of an exit plan as the trams were repeating themselves as winner 2534 (the one I saw earlier in the day) took me to Sandilands, deciding on an Elmers End move with a +5 to a Cannon Street via Lewisham service, for some DLR action. Dud 2543 did the honours to Elmers End, where it was a simple cross platform to wait for the South Eastern service which was saying “formed of 8 coaches”, so happy days as it would (most likely) be a pair of 465s.

Needless to say I was very happy as required 465926 rolled in attached with 465159, as a 465/9 was probably low down on what I was expecting. A quick visit via the loo before taking a seat in the 1st class section (why not, it be standard class only), and nearly 5 miles later the pair of 465s arrived at Lewisham where I alighted, heading down to the DLR platforms, where due to engineering works the route between Bank/Tower Gateway to Poplar/West India was closed, so Lewisham services were heading to Stratford, with both platforms at Lewisham in use. I decided to employ use of a linear hop keeping notes on the sets heading the other way:

101-154-152 to Elverson Road
80-52-29 to Deptford Bridge
50-31-22 to Greenwich
03-90-15 to Cutty Sark
10-44-91 back to Elverson Road (next 2 Stratford services were dud, with the 3rd being an unknown, which turned out to be dud
48-24-59 to Lewisham
149-124-136 to Greenwich
68-42-51 to South Quay
144-123-140 to Poplar, by which time the first set was going to be the next Stratford bound, so I turned my attention to the other routes.
134-127 to Blackwall (microgrice the sharp crossover after Poplar as normally services from platform 3 at Poplar head towards Stratford)
64-92 to Poplar (another microgirce as normally services from Blackwall head towards Limehouse rather than towards Canary Wharf, no idea which route the Poplar – Beckton services were taking as they departed from platform 1 at Poplar).
153-104 to East India
94-75 to Canning Town
26-56 to East India
112-105 to Canning Town
06-35 to West Silvertown
128-147 to Canning Town Low-Level
37-36 to London City Airport
86-70 to King George V[/b]
36-37 back to Canning Town Low-Level
121-107 back out to West Silvertown
70-86 back to Canning Town, High Level
78-67 from Canning Town low level to Royal Victoria
83-16-99 back to Canning Town low level (where it terminated)

I think I had covered the vast majority of DLR units out and about, so in need of a toilet break it was via some RPIs to the Jubilee platforms with 96125/96126 to West Ham, followed by 96067/96066 to Stratford. The next GA service was a pair of 360s, so over to the TFL Rail platform for the next C2C service and it was duds 357205 & 357201, thankfully the toilet wasn’t locked out of use and my god the AC felt so lovely after a couple hours on DLR units on a warm day. A quick working out in my head put me onto 32 winners of the day so far, a good session putting me down to only 30 units on the DLR, but still 18 short of my target, due to the warmth the deep level tube was out of the question, so once into Liverpool Street it was to the sub surface lines for some S-stock hopping, where lady luck was shining on me as I had a good winning run:

21039/040 to Moorgate
21481/482 to Barbican
21113/114 to Farringdon
21437/438 to Kings Cross St Pancras
21077/078 to Euston Square, after a quick platform change
21315/316 to Kings Cross St Pancras
21081/082 to Farringdon (where I hit a dud run of 4 duds in a row before)
21037/038 to Liverpool Street (where a quick look at the main-line spotted a dud 321 to Wickford and a pair of duds 357s to C2C land, so back to LU)
21443/444 to Tower Hill
21531/532 to Monument (from bay platform)
21559/560 to Cannon Street (nice new train smell)
21483/484 to Mansion House
7034 & 7115 to Blackfriars
21397/398 to Temple (as I was wondering when this run of luck was going to end!)
21499/500 to Embankment
21387/388 to Westminster
21405/406 to St James Park, where I decided to cross over platforms
21325/326 to Westminster (where my run of luck came to a sudden end with the next 4 movements being dud with 2 D-stock movements spotted heading the other way, so down to the Jubilee line platform)
96061/96016 to Waterloo (very crush loaded, had I spent so long down on LU it was suddenly Monday morning rush hour?)
96003/96080 to Southwark
96093/96034 to London Bridge, crossing back over to the other platform
96060/96005 to Waterloo (I was going to bail at Southwark, but the PIS was showing a 5-minute wait for the next service and with that sort of delay it would only be crush loaded.

Exiting the underground for the final time of the day, and back into fresh air, walking over to the 18:45 service to Salisbury, formed tonight of 159107 leading 158882, sadly no 158 thrash tonight as that unit looked busy (and is my final SWT 158 to clear for 100 miles). Taking a seat in the 2nd coach of 107 for the fast run, picking up passengers at Clapham and running fast back to Andover, apart from a brief stop outside Basingstoke where the units had caught up with a Weymouth service in front. But just over 60 minutes to travel the 66 miles (and 19 chains) back to Andover is reasonable. A swing via Papa Johns for a well earned pizza, as I counted up my winners for the day once at home (after eating said pizza), transferring my notes from Keep to my spreadsheet.

I had beaten my target of 50, and scored 55 winners (counting the S-stocks as 1), putting a nice dent into my LU requirements, plus 3 more heavy rail units into the book was a bonus as well.

A couple pictures:

Former 1st class area of 170423:

171202 departing Upper Warlingham, one of the few 171s which serve the station:


You wait ages for a bus... and 3 tips up at once!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top