16th August A Kentish Rover, Day 1
The idea of the next three days was to have a good clearout of my remaining shacks in Kent, making use of some enforced time off work (building works) to use a Kent Rover. So making use of the weekly season ticket purchased the day before I pretended to be a London commuter and walked to the station for the 07:27 service to London (arrives around 08:45). This service comes up from Exeter, however that is only the rear unit, the front two units are attached at Salisbury (I would imagine), so being the first stop after Salisbury meant getting a seat in the front 6 coaches was a piece of carrot cake.
Mmm Carrot Cake
The service this morning was formed of 159020, 159022 & 159010 for the nice run, I grabbed a seat in the middle coach of 022, and it was a good trip, probably 90%-ish loading after Basingstoke (although I would imagine on a regular weekday not in the middle of August it would be more than that, especially going by the car-park still having spaces). Roughly an on-time arrival into Waterloo, maybe a couple minutes late due to the usual hanging around outside for a platform to become free. A short walk over to platform 1-4 to jump on the first movement back towards Clapham Junction found me onto 455722 & 455868 (5868 being cleared for 10 miles, and 5722 getting closer only previously had as a bus stop leap between Walton on Thames & Hersham. Anyhow it was using the cross platform to jump on the first Southern service which rolled in to take me to Victoria, 377462 & 377431 did this honour (both high mileage units had multiple times).
I picked up my ticket to Sevenoaks to link up with the rover area and had an option of a pair of 375s heading to Ramsgate which departed after the Dover service, but overtook the Dover service (as the Dover goes via Denmark Hill). Both were dud, and I went over to the semi-fast Dover service (although it be a stopper after St Mary Cray towards Rainham, before skipping those two tiny shacks and only calls at Canterbury after Faversham, compared to the other Dover service from Victoria which runs semi-fast to Rochester, then turns into an all station stopper down the line to Dover). I was surprised to see it was duds 465927 & 466041, mainly as I wouldnt have expected to see a pair of networkers on a long trip. Anyhow I climbed into a bay of 4 on the 466 in the motor coach for some traditional networker motor noise (sadly lost in the 465/0s & 1s), windows open (for it was a warm day), for the run along the Chatham main line to my first shack of the day at
Canterbury East.
A nice little station, where I had a short wait for the next Dover service to roll in, and this was in the shape of dud 375712 for the near 10-mile trip to
Shepherds Well, home of the East Kent Railway (one of the many heritage railways I need for coverage). A nice enough small station, a handy Co-Op located nearby (used to purchase a meal-deal as it was lunchtime), where I noticed the northbound service after the next one was showing as cancelled, so a quick change of plan was needed, which would involve a short walk between two close stations. 375712 returned from Dover to take me to
Adisham, a very basic station whose waiting shelter on the Dover platform could do with some TLC (as the picture will probably show). The next Dover was formed of 8 coaches, and in rolled winners
375609 &
375610, happy days as I climbed on board 610 for the 2 mile trip to
Snowdown.
Another basic rural station, but I had Google Maps fired up for the rough mile walk along a pavement, up a hill to reach
Aylesham, with 35 minutes to kill (that included some wasted time looking at a statue for the miners killed in an accident). What is strange with this station is that it appeared to have an old path leading up from the Dover bound platform to the road bridge for disabled access, replaced with a regular footbridge (the path is very overgrown but you can still make it out, seems a bit strange that). Anyhow 375610 rushed through as ECS back towards London way and it was a short wait (hiding in the shadows) before dud 375608 rolled in, the 8 and a half mile run to Dover pushing this dual voltage 375 over the 10 mile mark. Arrival was a few minutes late rolling into platform 3, 375609 was sitting looking all 375 trial livery like (it isnt blue) in platform 2 and the Ramsgate shuttle was due to roll in on platform 1.
Since the sea-wall collapsed (between Folkestone & Dover) the service between Dover & Ramsgate has been in the hands of some 375/3s, sadly luck wasnt with me as dud 375309 rolled in to take me towards Ramsgate to
Sandwich, where I made use of the handy footbridge to cross to the other platform to await the next service. This turned out to be
375310, which got the red pen treatment as it rolled in to take me down the line to
Martin Mill. Another semi-rural station, with nothing much around, it was a short wait before fresh dud 375310 returned from Dover to take me to
Deal (or No Deal), where I had a quick visit to the nearby Sainsburys to pick up some food (all this festering in the heat was making me hungry) and a bottle of anti-bacterial solution.
Back to Deal station, and it was onto 375309 to take me back on stop to
Walmer to clear the line for shacks, a short wait before dud-of-the-day 375609 came into sight on route to Ramsgate, but this is the services which I was hoping to get in my book, one I actually did my plan around catching it, as after Sandwich it turns left over the single track chord to Minster station, scoring me the PSUL move over the Minster chord. Arrived a bit early (I think we were meant to be held on the chord for a few extra minutes but a Charing Cross service from Ramsgate got cancelled), before reversing back towards Ramsgate (just what is the point in that chord these days?). A quick change of platforms at Ramsgate to board 375629 as a time wasting move to score
Broadstairs, before heading back to Ramsgate on a pair of 395s from Margate, with winner
395007 leading dud 395026.
It was back onto 375609 as it was forming the next Charing Cross bound service, to take me to
Sturry, beware station bashers this station features a level crossing and a busy road, took me 5 minutes before I could actually cross the road to reach the other platform. The platform itself was very basic, little waiting shelter and not a lot else, an unknown 395 popped up on route to Margate, before another short wait for dud 375617, getting closer to the 10 mile club, to take me to
Minster. A footbridge shack with the line towards Sandwich peeling away pretty much straight after the Ashford bound platform.
A short wait here at Minster before 375620 rolled in to take me to
Chilham, where I was in luck as the next Ramsgate bound service was running around 10 minutes late, allowing me to make a -5 connection onto duds 375703 & 375607 to
Chartham, to clear the line. Ahead of my plan, it was time for a mileage move with a trio of duds, 375302, 375815 & 375621 to take me to Canterbury West, dashing under the tracks using a handy subway to jump onto an unknown Javelin. Sadly luck wasnt with me as it was high mileage dud 395005 (the one I spent a good few hours on a couple moves ago for a railtour). Ah well, an extra 14 miles & 18 chains wont harm it, and the quick battery charge for my phone was good. To Ashford International, where the next Charing Cross bound service was due from platform 1, however with delays to an inbound service from Blackfriars, it was switched to platform 5. Duds 375907 & 375625 rolled in from Ramsgate, and after a brief pause crossed over from platform 5 to reach the line towards Tonbridge.
I decided to kill some time (as this service would arrive into Waterloo East at 21:21, so it was a 59 minute connection), and bailed at Tonbridge for a couple options, a pair of duds from Hastings was first, followed by a pair of dud 465/9s from Tunbridge Wells, so it was onto my 3rd option, a service from Folkestone, formed of 11 coaches going by the PIS. In rolled dud 375307, followed by 375801 with winner
375707 on the rear, my final 375/7. So taking a seat in 707 for the fast run back towards Waterloo East, pausing at Sevenoaks before running non-stop to Waterloo East, a nice speedy run, once at Waterloo East, I crossed over to Waterloo (Main), via Tesco for a late evening wrap, and waited for the 22:20 to roll in. Tonight I was being taken home by 159004, a busy service until Basingstoke, but arriving into Grateley pretty much on time, and with a short walk home.
A chance to reflect on my day, only 3 stations remain on the line from Folkestone to Dover, the line from Ramsgate to Ashford & Dover is cleared, with a handful of required units. Here are some pictures:
466041 departs Canterbury East:
A blue 375712 departing Shepherds Well (or as the signs say Shepherdswell):
A nice station building:
A networker on holiday 466041 dashing like a bat out of the tunnel:
The dark blue suits the 375s:
The waiting shelter at Adisham...
When the snow comes down:
375309 at Sandwich:
A random Sandwich

:
Was there once a mill owned by Martin here?
In years gone by, did Deal have a through line (to the banker?)?
Walmer in the sunshine:
The not-so broad stairs at Broadstairs:
An unknown Javelin passing Sturry:
Minster station, with chord on right hand side leading towards Sandwich:
Not such a nice footbridge at Chilham:
----------------
17th August A Kentish Rover, day 2
It was a similar start to the Tuesday (day 1), making use of the 07:27 service to Waterloo, doubling back to Clapham before heading to Victoria, today it was 159005, 159001 & 159012 getting the miles on route to Waterloo, arriving a few minutes late. 455741 & 455903 eventually departed a few minutes late, but was very stop-start to Clapham, with 377107, 377429 & 377163 taking me to Victoria. I was happy I had picked up my ticket beforehand as the queue for the TVMs was quite long.
The aim of today was to clear the line towards Dover, and also towards Ramsgate, but first a spot of linear hopping as a busy 375819 & 375820 took me to Rochester, a short wait before a service to Ramsgate from Charing Cross, with winner
465934 leading duds 466015 & 465907 for the tiny leap to Chatham. A few minutes later and
395017 became the next entry into my book on a leap to Gillingham, followed by 465901 &
466018 from Victoria to take me to Rainham. A dud service was heading back towards London which I turned down for a wait, spotting a 376 dashing through on route to Ramsgate depot, before dud 375629 rolled in to take me to
Bekesbourne
Sadly we lost some time, and the +1 disappeared into the atmosphere, giving me an hour to fester a station in the middle of nowhere, apart from some houses and a minibus taking some youngsters somewhere and an office building, there isnt anything around. To hide from the sun I stood in the shade on a path behind the station, before moving to underneath the bridge before the train was due. I made use of the time by listening to some music & reading my book, so the 60 minutes flew by. As was the day before the next service was formed of 8 coaches, although unlike yesterday it wasnt a double win, it was 375923 & 375707 to take me down to
Kearsney, a nice enough station with a little local shop (but some busy roads).
375707 returned 20-or so minutes later to take me back up the line to
Selling, my final shack on the line full of little rural basic shacks. 30 minutes to fester at Selling before the next Dover bound service was due, making a note that the next fast was a dud 465, I was happy when winners
375805 &
375606 rolled in (final 375/6!) to take me down to Canterbury East, with a short wait for 375925 back up the line to Teynham for no reason other than a time wasting miles move. It was a short wait at the basic level crossing shack before 375811 took me to Faversham, where I gave myself an idea to change the order I did some shacks to potentially get home an hour earlier.
Winner
395006 was up next to take me one stop to
Whitstable, where 15 or so minutes later 375629 popped up to take me to
Herne Bay, a station which Im guessing in years gone past had a passing loop, with an old platform face fenced off. 375603 was up next to take me to the embankment shack of
Chestfield & Swalecliffe, which was a horrible place to spend 10 minutes waiting for the next train as there was no shelter (has a little bus shelter, but with the angle of the sun meant it was useless). Thankfully it wasnt that long before winner
395010 popped up to take me to the rough looking
Westgate-on-Sea, which is where my tight connection held (be at the Faversham end of the train), as I jumped onto 375630 back one stop to
Birchington-On-Sea.
15 or so minutes later duds from yesterday, 375707 & 375310 rolled in to take me to
Dumpton Park, which has an island platform, and little else. However with the crowds at Margate I was thankful I was boarding the next Ramsgate Victoria service from the 1st station, as 375623 rolled in to take me back towards Victoria. As expected it was quite cosy on departure from Margate, and remained cosy until Faversham when 375603 ran into the back of us (with announcers from the guard that the rear unit was empty to try and get some of the standing passengers to shift so they could get a seat).
Once back at Victoria, I was happy as I had cleared my targets with a few winners, the first service out of Victoria towards Clapham was in the hands of 377620/377604 heading towards Dorking, but with a delay it was running fast after Clapham Junction to Sutton. At Clapham Junction, I purchased food from Sainsburys before heading back to the station for the 20:27 service, expecting the worst, but wasnt that bad (considering many things), with 159003 leading 159018, taking a seat in 159003 as it was detaching at Salisbury (so anybody wanting stations towards Exeter was in the 018).
Day 2 was complete, on a hot sunny day, with some pictures:
376004 at Rainham (Kent), something I didnt expect to see:
Not my ticket to freedom from Bekesbourne:
The nice footbridge at Kearsney:
Ah 375707 we meet again, this time not behind a 37 at Derby:
A Javelin at Whitstable:
Herne Bay... Not to be confused with Herne Hill:
Chestfield & Swalecliffe in the sunshine.
Westgate-on-sea:
375630 departing Birchington-on-sea:
The luxury of Dumpton Park:
18th August A Kentish Rover, Day 3
The target for today was those stations on the Medway Valley line, and the Maidstone East line, so I was expecting a lot of networker action. Thankfully it wasnt as hot as it was the day before, as I walked to the station for the 07:27 service for the final time of the week. Today it was formed of 159007, 159012 & 159018, giving an extra 72 miles and 49 chains to my only sub thousand mile 159. Unlike the previous couples days I was treating myself to some High Speed action, but to kill time I had picked up a couple potential moves from Waterloo East to Charing Cross.
Neither of which were needed, as I was getting into position as a service formed of 465237, 465182 & winner
466036 rolled in, so it was rude to turn down a required 466 it was to Charing Cross (the 1st potential move I would have scored a pair of 465/9s on, the 2nd was a pair of dud 375s). Anyhow with nothing else much of interest at Charing Cross, it was via Co-Op on the Strand to visit the Bakerloo line platforms, with duds 3544/3246 taking me forward to Oxford Circus, and 11065/11066 to Kings Cross St Pancras. A short walk to leave the underground complex and I headed over to the High Speed platforms, as I had a chance of a linear hop before the next Faversham bound service would depart.
A required 395 was spotted on the platform, however that was locked up as the next Dover service was in front of it, a quick walk and it was winner
395003. To Ebbsfleet for some 395 speed on HS1 (zoom zoom), and after visiting the toilets I had a short walk over to platform 5&6 in the annex building to await dud 395023 to take me to Strood, a nice little ride.
The Medway line was running slightly late, as dud 466018 rolled in and departed a few minutes late to take me to
Snodland where I had planned a 30 minute fester (very tight connection), although I probably would have made the connection if South Eastern didnt decide to run the next Strood service fast from Maidstone (and there was some very unhappy passengers that the train ran through without warning). Anyhow Snodland has a level crossing and a footbridge, with roadworks being carried out outside the building for a new car-park. 30 minutes later 466018 returned to take me to
Cuxton, where the HS1 Medway viaduct could be seen.
After a short wait it was back onto 466018 as it returned towards Maidstone, to take me to
Aylesford, another nice little station, and another short fester before 466018 returned to
New Hythe, which compared to Aylesford looked to be a tad rough. However my run with 466018 was over as 466005 rolled in to take me down the line to
Beltring a very basic level crossing shack in the middle of nowhere, and so my festers began before 466005 returned for the short trip to
Wateringbury, another basic shack, this time with an old station building, and what appeared to be some old sidings. 466034 was the 3rd unit on the Medway line diagrams today as after 10 or so minutes of festering it rolled in to take me to
Yalding, another basic rural shack without much in the way of life around.
40 (or so) minutes later 466034 returned from Tonbridge to take me to
East Farleigh, the shack with a +3, which was easily made over the footbridge to rejoin 466005 down to Paddock Wood, where I had some time to dash out to a nearby Tesco for a meal-deal and a cold drink. Back to Paddock Wood station and 466005 returned from its magical adventure to Tonbridge to take me to
Maidstone West, where I had 30 or so minutes to walk to the East station, swinging via Burger King for an ice-cream before reaching
Maidstone East. A station which looks to be evil to change between platforms, but I noticed a service from Ashford was showing as cancelled, so a quick rethink of my plan was needed.
Rethink complete and 375618 took me to
Bearsted where for the sake of a mileage move, I jumped onto 375818 back to Maidstone East for a short wait before 375805 rolled in to take me to
Lenham, a basic shack with a goods loop behind the platform. 465913 was up next to take me to
Hollingbourne for a short wait before 465909 took me back one stop to
Harrietsham. Cant really remember much about either station, apart from they were quite rural, with footbridges. I didnt have long to wait before 375618 returned from Ashford to take me to the ultra-rural
Kemsing, nothing around apart from a small business park. Needless to say even when 466038 & 465915 rolled in nobody else alighted or boarded the train for the short run to
Borough Green & Wrotham.
A short wait here before the next of the peak-time extras rolled in, and it was a shock to see it being Thameslink branded 377523 & 377212 to take me the short hop to
West Malling, passing another pair of Thameslink 377s heading back towards Victoria. Time to swing via a little Co-Op, before 377511 & 377209 rolled in for the little leap to
East Malling, this time I knew it would be a pair of Thameslink 377s as it came from Blackfriars. Another short wait before 466026 & 465037 took me to Maidstone East on a Maidstone East terminating service, where I had hoped it would use the bay platform
Nope, went into platform 1, so probably a rare crossover, but it did save a walk as it departed as ECS back towards London. A short wait before 465907 & 466014 rolled in to take me to my final shack along this line at
Barming for a +8 which turned into a +18 due to late running. This in turn reduced my +20 to a +10 between Maidstone stations. My bad luck with 465s continued as it was dud 465924 & 466007 back to Maidstone East, and with Google Maps fired up with the route to Maidstone Barracks, it was an easy footpath (although quite narrow, but didnt stop an idiotic cyclist ignore the no cycling signs and forced his way pass).
I arrived after 6 minutes of walking at my final South Eastern shack,
Maidstone Barracks, I was happy my plans worked without any real issues. I relaxed as I boarded 466034 for the 3rd time of the day back to Strood, where 395005 took me to Ebbsfleet International, as I had noted the next St Pancras service was from Margate and that is usually a pair. Sadly it was only a single unit, which was running around 10 minutes late, but it was worth the wait as in rolled winner
395011 to take me to Stratford International for a 5 minute wait for the next service, which was dud 395023, back to St Pancras. A good speedy run from 395011 reduced the lateness by a couple minutes.
To the Victoria line and 11043/11044 took me to Oxford Circus, followed by 3258/3546 to Waterloo, where tonights 22:20 service was formed of 159102, to take me home, tired and in need of a shower. Not as many required units as I would have liked from the 3rd day, but all my shacks I set out to do were done, with a couple change of plans to avoid cancelled trains. As per usual, here are some pictures:
376 meets 395 at Strood:
An Eurostar on route to Europe going over the Medway Valley Line:
466018 at Aylesford:
The industrial New Hythe:
Beltring:
Wateringbury:
An old canopy at Yalding:
466034 at East Farleigh:
Maidstone West:
Leeds Castle is nearby Bearsted:
375818 pausing at Maidstone East:
Lenham:
Hollingbourne:
Harrietsham:
Trains passing at Kemsing:
Has a modern footbridge....
Borough Green & Wrotham:
Purple trains at West Malling
A former Southern 377/2 at East Malling:
An unknown 465+466 rushing past East Malling:
Barming:
My final South Eastern Shack, Maidstone 'Barracks':
466034 arriving to start my homeward bound journey, my guitar was in hand:
----------------------
19th August Another hunt for those HSTs
A late start was required from my body, and a late start it got given. A couple little jobs on the laptop before I set off for a short walk to catch 159004 heading to Basingstoke, where like on the Monday I popped out to grab a meal-deal from the Sainsburys before heading back towards platform 5. Would I get one of the Reading depot pets or would it be a Turbo I was thinking to myself as I climbed up the stairs to come across the green 150001 rolling in. Reading depot pet it will be, first time since last September for this 150.
Once at Reading, I returned in the rain to platform 10 & 11, to wait for anything required to pop up on route to Paddington. Sadly luck wasnt on my side at all this afternoon, however after 80 minutes, dud 43078 rolled in with winner
43147 on the rear, this time I sat on the left hand side in the direction of travel, noting a required 43 coming in from the depot, to give me something to aim for when it eventually rolled in and was announced as being a service to Cardiff. This service was only 7 carriages, and I could feel the difference in acceleration (add that the coach was empty as it came from Oxford)
Due to the late arrival, no seat reservations got put out, so I took up a seat in coach C, with 43036 leading winner
43016, only to be tapped on the shoulder by someone who said Oi You, shift it, Im with a family, if he was nice and said please then I probably would have moved, but as he was rude I refused and pointed out the other table was still available (all it the table which has a view of plastic) (I just dont like those airline style seats on a GW HST, they are too tall for me).
Once at Reading, I didnt hang around for long as the next departure for Paddington was rolling in, and featured winner
43035 on the front, with dud 43132 on the rear. Slightly more busy than the Ex-Oxford service, but after a quick look around Paddington saw nothing of interest, I took up a position on platform 1, where it overlooked the lines running in, giving me a good view to ID anything required. One service I picked up as being required, however when it got announced it was pick-up only at Reading (heading towards Penzance), so I gave that a miss, eventually picking up a required 43 heading towards Hereford, so it was onto 43191 leading winner
43017 for my 4th (and final) 43 of the day.
At Reading, it was a quick cross platform leap onto an unknown voyager heading towards Bournemouth; I managed to get a seat on this busy service to Basingstoke, which on alighting found it was 221125, however it gave me time to swing via Sainsburys for a couple items for dinner before heading back to the station to wait for the service from Waterloo. It was a quite busy 159015 & 159021, and until Overton I was standing by the doors, although that was down to someone deciding not to look inside the carriage itself as there was some seats available.
A short walk home before the rain started, as I reflected on scoring 4 more GWR 43s, so a small dent into my requirements. A good early night was required for an early start in the morning.