29th April A trip to North Kent
The aim of today was to clear the shacks on the Sheerness branch, plus a couple other bits in that area, so it was a drive to Andover parking not in my usual place due to it being quite busy, had to dump the car a bit further from the station than normal. Anyhow the 14:38 this afternoon was the usual 8-coach service, with 158881 leading 159019 & 159022, with taking a seat in the mostly empty front coach of 881 for the hour ride to Clapham Junction.
I was in two minds, either bail at Clapham and jump on the first thing heading east calling at Vauxhall, or stay on until Waterloo and head to St Pancras via Oxford Circus. I decided to bail at Clapham Junction, which features some nice new yellow backed signs (rather than the usual SWT blue), and over to P10 where 455702 & 455709 took me onwards for the 2 mile, 45 chain leap to Vauxhall, where it was a short walk to the underground station, and onto dud 11005/11006 for the near 4-mile trip to Kings Cross St Pancras, arriving with time to spare for the long-ish walk to platforms 13-15 at St Pancras. Which could only mean one thing, and I was amazed that my Andover Sheerness ticket actually opened the barriers for the HS1 platforms.
The first javelin departure was towards Ashford, however as it was formed of winner
395023 I couldnt turn it down, and we departed full and standing (at least in the front coach) as I had my first 395 for a fair few months, the speed these things accelerate out of Stratford International is amazing (although the view isnt so amazing). Arriving into the soulless Ebbsfleet International, where passengers standing by the doors were advised to by the driver to leave the train at Ebbsfleet to allow others off the train, as it wont depart until you are all back onboard. Unsurprisingly my ticket didnt work the barriers at Ebbsfleet as I walked the walk to platforms 5 & 6, to be allowed access to await the next Gravesend bound service, previously noted as required
395029.
Thankfully it emptied out a bit (I would imagine its commuters using the large car-park as a railhead for the local area) and I managed to get a seat as it switched to the DC lines for the journey to the new
Rochester station, I previously had the old Rochester a couple weeks before it closed so Im counting it as a semi-new shack score (as will be the case of Bromsgrove in the next few months). The next service due was a Rainham terminator, which was due to use the new Rainham bay platform, which was a micro-grice for me (and was rude to turn it down), in rolled winner
465924, which as expected for a stopper service nearing the end of its journey was mostly empty, and was a bit of a fester fest with a few minutes wait before it carried on, waiting before rolling into platform 0 where it terminated at Rainham.
Over the footbridge to platform 2 to await the next service towards Dover, and my good run of luck continued with required
375906 &
375821 to take me to
Teynham, which is a basic shack but allowed me to get it into the bag to clear the route to Faversham. The PIS on the other platform was a tad useless, not showing details of the next train instead stuck on buses replace trains between here and there on Sunday, and RTT was having a mild blip. Departure time came and went, still no 375, 5 minutes later and I knew my 7 minute connection at Sittingbourne was looking tight, 5 minutes after that duds 375811 & 375824 rolled in, running 10 minutes late so goodbye connection and a new plan needed.
To save a fester at Sittingbourne, I decided to bail at Rainham for my first double 395 set, and it was a good call at in rolled winner
395019 attached with dud 395018 [ironically the 395 I used when scoring Rainham a few months ago!], anyhow it was back to Sittingbourne to cross over to a waiting required
466015 working on a Sheerness branch, or I would board it if it wasnt for a rude lady who decided to close the doors after she boarded, and got up to close them again a couple times after people dared to board (and I made her do it again as I swapped ends due to some very smelly food being brought on board). Anyhow with my revised plan I bailed from the 466 at
Swale, a couple others got off the train and were picked up from the small lay-by. I could only imagine how busy that road outside would have been before the bridge was built.
After a quick walk I returned to the featureless platform, which features nothing, no shelter, no seating, not even a Permit to Travel machine, why on earth has this station got a half hourly service? Anyhow fresh dud 466015 soon returned to take me back to
Kemsley, for a short wait before the 2nd direct service to Sheerness from Victoria was due which was formed of 6 coaches, standard class only going by RTT, and a couple minutes early dud 466038 rolled in with winner
465907 on the rear, which I was happy about as it was another 465/9 into the book, and the 4 mile run to
Queenborough was a lot more than some 465s have mileage wise. An easy connection was made to dud 466006 which was the other 466 on the regular branch line service today, and it was back to Sittingbourne.
The original plan was to wait for the next St Pancras service, as I knew the next Victoria was formed of a pair of dud 375/3s (as I had spotted them working earlier), however I had some gem that a certain 455 was floating around and based a plan to try and grab it, so it was onto duds 375309 & 375305 for the run back towards Victoria, the longest run Ive had on a 375 in a fair while, getting some speed up after Rochester (of which the old station hasnt got a lot left, the platforms remain with the platform edge stones being removed, and only feature was some old DOO monitor holders). Arriving into Victoria was on time, and I took a short walk via Boots to the Southern side for a Portsmouth bound service, formed of duds 377422 & 377102. Departure time came and went, as we were waiting for a fresh air carrying Gatwick Express to arrive/depart eventually departing 5 minutes late for the short run to Clapham Junction.
A quick walk between platforms, and it was a case of waiting for the service from Woking, which had 455705 leading required
455732, my final SWT 455, back from being re-tractioned (and having some nice sunflowers put on the side). It certainly sounded different to the usual 455 DC motor noise. I decided to stay on to Waterloo to be in a good place to board the 22:20 for Salisbury, a service known for overcrowding, and as usual it was a single unit arriving a few minutes late, but I got a seat on 159107 for the run back to Andover. If I boarded at Clapham I would have been standing to at least Basingstoke.
Arriving back home after a short drive, to note that somehow I had managed to get 8 new SET units in the book, which is a lot better than I was expecting. Although I was home an hour later than I had hoped, it didnt put a damper on the day (although it did mean not a lot of sleep).
Anyhow, AC motor noise time!
----------------
30th April A Derbyshire Wayfarer
The aim of today was to grab some shacks around Derbyshire, mainly the ones towards Matlock, plus the two limited served shacks on the line towards Tamworth, as it will save a job for next months East Midlands Madness trip. A short walk to Grateley station for the 05:59 service formed this morning of 159013 for the short run to Basingstoke, where I was booked on the 06:50 XC towards Manchester, changing at the Bat Cave for an Edinburgh bound service.
In rolled dud 220008 for the just shy of 114 mile trip towards Birmingham New Street, time spent looking out of the window at the process of the wires on the GWML, and watching the world go by, arriving into New Street pretty much bang on time, maybe a minute late due to waiting outside the station for a platform to become available. Going via the toilet for a quick PNB, before going down to one of the high-number platforms for the Edinburgh service, formed of 220010, which was quite busy (owing to the WCML being closed in parts, and smelt of booze in the doorway.
A few minutes late into Derby caused by some slow running around the junction where the Crewe line came in (late running freight/charter train?), but I could easily make the connection for the next Matlock service. The platform was quite busy and in rolled winner
153311, yep a single dogbox, which we departed rather cosy, and I stayed on nearly to the end of the line at
Matlock Bath, which is a nice enough station on the single track section, nothing much of interest apart from a cable car to some large hill, but it wasnt long before fresh dud 153311 returned working towards Nottingham. I had two options in which I could play it safe with bailing at Ambergate or risk a +4 at Belper, as we were on time I decided to risk the +4 and bailed at
Belper.
The connection over the roadbridge was easy enough, I even had time for a quick photo and noticing that there appears to be some shops around that area (so useful for anybody not so lucky in making the connection), anyhow the next Matlock service was due and in rolled a 156, and
156470 made it two winners in a roll to take me nearly to the end of the line at
Cromford. Another nice station with old station building turned into an office and a holiday home, the sun had come out as I sat to watch the world go by before 156470 returned from Matlock to take me back to
Ambergate.
A quite basic shack, although there appears to be the remains of platform carrying on towards Matlock, but it wasnt long before the 3rd unit on Nottingham Matlock services rolled in, and winner
153379 made it 3 out of 3, and also brought the rain which had been threatening to come out, as the heavens opened as I bailed at
Whatstandwell, the main shacks on the branch complete, and nearest station to the Tram museum at Crick, but as the signs warned it was a steep uphill walk. A canal ran alongside the railway at this point, so I took some time to relax (as it was a 30-odd minute wait), before 153379 returned, getting quite busy at Belper, as I bailed at Derby for a quick dash to WH Smiths for a meal-deal as I was getting hungry.
Back onto the platform, and it was a short wait for dud 222007 to roll in to take me to
Long Eaton, which involves a long walk between platforms (as it is on an embankment), but it was easy enough to make where I noticed the next Matlock service was a couple minutes late, but thankfully it was the return of 156470 so the dwell times werent so great at Spondon, however we were 5 late departing Derby due to a late running XC being late, Duffield had a +4 but the other service last reported as being 2 down, so it was time for the danger music, miss the connection and it would be a bus back to Derby, thankfully
Duffield features an island platform, and we rolled in, no sign of the 153. The 156 departed and in rolled a rather busy 153311 back to Derby, of which I was happy as it meant Nottingham to Matlock was cleared.
But now I had a 55 minute wait before the Birmingham bound XC service which called at Willington, so a trip to Long Eaton was on the cards, first up was a dud 222, which I allowed to depart to wait for another XC service bound for Nottingham and in rolled
170638. I previously had this down as a dud unit, however when I was putting my log files together yesterday I did a quick search on Excel to see where I previously had it, and the only reference was logged against a London Midland journey back on my Great Escape weekend in Feb 14 (one of the first trips where I started to log numbers), so I must have made a logging error for a Rugeley TV to Tame Bridge run. Anyhow back at Long Eaton, it was a short walk to the other platform, arriving just as a Sheffeld bound 222 rolled in, and jumped on without checking the unit number (which isnt as easy as it is on the 220/221s as the coach numbers dont match the unit numbers).
Sadly it was dud 222020, but never mind, as I waited at Derby for the Birmingham bound service, which rolled in, it was dud 170637 which took me to
Willington, the station with an odd service pattern, i.e. nothing for 3 hours then 2 services half an hour apart, then nothing for 3 hours. As I alighted from the 170 (along with a few other passengers), the heavens opened again as I dashed down the stairs to the subway, passing some passengers heading the other way (which I hope werent hoping to catch that service, otherwise it would have been a 2 hour wait), before heading up the other stairs to hide in the little waiting bus shelter for dud 170519 to roll in to take me back to Derby.
A positioning move was now required to take me to Tutbury & Hatton to connect with a Peartree stopper, and having noticed before that the Crewe-Derby services appeared to be double 153s, I was happy when I logged winners
153385 &
153319 on the next Crewe service for a short run to Tutbury & Hatton, swinging via the Co-Op outside the station (served by some grumpy lady who shouted that we dont accept NUS discount here [as it seems that the Central England Co-Op group has redrawn from the NUS offer in the past few weeks, like I was meant to know that]. Anyhow it was to the platform to await the slightly delayed Derby service, formed of winner
153321 and dud 153310 to take me to
Peartree.
A couple other passengers alighted, and after being allowed out of the station by the controller of the gate (a station where I advise its best to arrive by train rather than by foot, just in case you have issues gaining access to the platforms), and its opposite a retail/leisure park with housing, seems very strange why it only gets 2 services a day, give it an hourly service and it would probably capture more passengers, its not like the station is in the middle of nowhere. Anyhow, Google Maps fired up and it was a short walk to a bus stop, with a Sapphire 38 double decker, fleet 4405 took me back towards the city centre, and a short walk back to Derby.
This is where my plans changed as I was originally going to head up to Sheffield and grab a shack on the Hope Valley line to link in with the XC at Sheffield, however I previously noted that the Newcastle bound service was cancelled earlier, and hence the Southampton bound service had been cancelled, with RTT suggesting it would restart in Birmingham. Another spanner in the works was knowledge that my last 7-coach 222 was due to arrive in Derby around 18:25, so I had some time to kill, and not needing that many units which operate around the Derby area (220/221/222s) I had a short wait before the next Crewe service rolled in, which featured a required 153 and also called at Peartree...
...Hence I took a seat on dud 153355 leading winner
153381, back to Peartree, again I wasnt alone in alighting (but nobody was boarding), and was amazed that 4 out of the 6 153s on the Crewe services were required, leaving my EMT 153 requirements as 308 & 384. Anyhow, once more I was let out of the station, but this time I couldnt link up with a bus, so it was a mile and a half walk back towards Derby Midland station, not a walk I would recommend as it involves quite a few road crossings. But I arrived with time to spare, and headed to P1 just as the trio of HST power-cars rolled by, the VTEC/NR/GC trio on route to Bristol for the open day on Monday, sadly I was on the wrong side of the station to grab a picture before they disappeared to hide behind a EMT HST set. Anyhow winner
222003 rolled in, and taking a seat for the speedy run to Chesterfield for a 15 minute fester for a service from York, formed of dud 222012 to take me back to Derby to get confirmation that the Southampton service was indeed cancelled.
I had two options to get back to Birmingham, either the return of 220010 from this morning (which looked a tad busy being from Edinburgh), or the return of 170638 on a Cardiff service, I decided to allow the 220 to depart and boarded the 170 for a speedy-ish run back to Birmingham New Street, being held outside the station for a few minutes eventually rolling into P12. I somehow made the +4 to 9A, where dud 220028 was waiting, which was reasonably loaded, but my reserved seat was available for the run back towards Basingstoke, heading via Warwick this time rather than Coventry, a bit of slack in the timetable meant a 5 minute wait at Oxford and a 18 minute wait at Reading, before arriving into Basingstoke to a busy station, as SWT was in a bit of chaos with delays a-plenty.
Anyhow, it was time to grab a nice pizza and can of pop and eat/drink before the service to Salisbury, with the annual army-navy rugby match at Twickenham (less of a rugby match, more an excuse for a good drinking session), and with this area being very military, I would have expected SWT to strengthen their services to deal with the crowds... Nope, in rolled 159018, where I just managed to get on, for it was rammed, overhearing complaints that some passengers couldnt board the previous service towards Yeovil, and thankfully after the service emptied out at Andover (the taxi-firms must have had a great night), the guard came through [I would guess he was hiding previously next to the driver at the front of the train to open/close the doors] with a list of people requiring taxis for stations west of Salisbury, and it looked quite long.
I alighted at Grateley, with the car-park full of taxis (must have been at least 20 there), and had a short walk home, getting fresh air, but a very poor showing from SWT (whose bill for the taxis west of Salisbury probably would have been a fair few hundred of pounds), would it have hurt to put on additional coaches to make those last few services longer than they usually are?
Anyhow some pictures:
153311 at Belper:
156470 departing Cromford:
153379 in the pouring rain departing Whatstandwell:
156470 departing Duffield:
A wet Willington:
153310 getting ready to depart from Peartree.
And from the other platform
Awaiting signal clearance:
XC Turbostar racing!