• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Cheeky sod ;) Sounds like an excellent day in West Yorks though Kite, still need to get Ulleskelf in to complete the lot all the way from York as far as Huddersfield on the TPE :)

I think using the Sheffield - York services is probably the best way to avoid that long of a fester, allows you to knock out Baghill if you need it as well ;)

--

I've just been provisionally planning my few days in Newcastle in August time, looks like I can take the bike and leave it in the guesthouse for most of the time. I'm using Techni's rules for British Steel Redcar, if I'm on a train which calls I'm counting it (on grounds that it is still private property)

Richard - Am I right in thinking that the "Network One Day Ticket" (http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/day-rover-tickets) carries no morning peak restriction?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
It'll no doubt close one day anyway, so it'll become a mute point regarding British Steel Redcar. 185143 made a special request to actually go there!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
I think using the Sheffield - York services is probably the best way to avoid that long of a fester, allows you to knock out Baghill if you need it as well ;)

--

I've just been provisionally planning my few days in Newcastle in August time, looks like I can take the bike and leave it in the guesthouse for most of the time. I'm using Techni's rules for British Steel Redcar, if I'm on a train which calls I'm counting it (on grounds that it is still private property)

Richard - Am I right in thinking that the "Network One Day Ticket" (http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/day-rover-tickets) carries no morning peak restriction?

Indeed I need BSR too...same rule for me as well. It's just out there all on its own so I need the motivation to do it!

And aye Kite, no restrictions at all on the Network One.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
It'll no doubt close one day anyway, so it'll become a mute point regarding British Steel Redcar. 185143 made a special request to actually go there!

Or most likely be reduced to a token 1 service a week service to avoid the process of closure

---

Richard, excellent, that gives me something to do on my "metro" day [up in that area for 5 days in total on a FONE, which one day I've pencilled in to try and attack the metro shacks, and try and get Blaydon done, as it looks easier on the 7:53 departure from Newcastle which gives a +4 with a +34 as backup from a Scotrail service :) (Although I suspect there are buses which I could use to get back to the city centre)
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
About 9/10 times i've made the tight connection back from Blaydon from the Newcastle side (It's a +5 from what I remember).

And indeed, there's a lot of buses to get you back (it's about a 5 minute walk over a road bridge to the bus station).

Do PM me if you need any T&W advice, i've completed the network and used most of the bus routes twice over :lol:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Cheers, I will keep that in mind when it comes to double checking my rough plan (for I am a basher with a plan) for any engineering works :)

10/8 to the 14/8 I'm in Newcastle area, and at the moment the only day where the bike will be used will be the first day to ride between those ECML shacks (Morpeth to Pegswood, and Acklington to Widdrington) With Chathill being provisonally done on the Saturday, bailing at Alnmouth on the way back for a XC service 20 minutes behind)

---------

(The idea of this afternoon was to head to Stratford and linear bash the Southend Victoria line during the period where it's a train every 10 minutes (and hopefully lots of triple 321s), sadly I decided to put that on hold as the weather has been dreadful all day)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
17th April – A random trip to Cambridgeshire

It was nice to be back on the rails for a bash, after Friday’s trip was rained out, and having a study day on the Saturday (although a highlight grabbing a required 220 back from Reading to Basingstoke), today was going to be a semi-random day today involving a station in GA land which I deemed to be easier to grab on a Sunday (a +10 rather than a +55), plus one which I couldn’t quite fit into my plan when I attempt to do the limited served shacks along the line. Unusually it wasn’t a drive to Andover, but a drive to Salisbury, although a bit later than I had hoped due to being caught behind a horsebox which could only do 40 mph on a mainly 60 mph road (sort of a fast walk from dumping the car at the side of the street to the station).

159006 was in charge of the 06:45 to Waterloo, for the speedy run getting a bit busy at Woking, and with the usual Clapham Junction fester before continuing into Waterloo. To get to Liverpool Street this morning I decided to head via London Bridge & Bank, so it was to the Jubilee line platform and required 96023/96064 taking me forward to London Bridge, with a long walk to the Northern line platforms, with 51589/51590 doing the honours of the 45 chain leap to Bank, before an even longer walk to the Central line platforms (no sub-surface line services from Moorgate today). The next service was dud 91129 with winner 92240, dud 92246 followed with winner 91017 on the rear, how I dislike attempting to record the central line stock as they reform sets on a regular basis. Anyhow to Liverpool Street, to see if any required 317s were floating around on a Hertford East service, or anything required floating around on the GEML side, but alas it was a dud 321 and dud 360 only on that side.

After waiting to see what 317 was on the next Hertford East service, and determining it was dud, I took a seat on 379023/379005 on the 09:10 Stansted Airport service, taking a seat in the leading coach of 379023 which was completely empty until Tottenham Hale where some RPIs boarded and remained after doing a ticket check, calling only at Bishop’s Stortford, it was a nice run to the airport. I had two options to getting to Cambridge before the Ipswich service, either the XC to Ely or the GA Cambridge. A dud 170/1 was sat in the open on platform 2 on arrival, with the hourly GA to Cambridge due to depart from 3c, only for it to come into platform 1. Unusually for a Sunday it wasn’t a 379, but dud 317662, so taking a seat in the motor coach for the semi-fast run to Cambridge. Certainly made a better noise than a 379 does, into Cambridge pretty much on time, where I had a quick look around, noting a required 170/2 was on a Thetford service (cue short due to engineering works) which would be one I wouldn’t be able to grab unless I put myself an hour back. Ah well, plenty more chances to grab that 170/2 to come next month.

The last couple times I’ve been to Cambridge on a Sunday, the services to/from Ipswich were 156s, sadly I would have no 156 thrash this morning, instead it was winner 170207 to take me the near 20 miles in an eastern direction to Kennett. Which apart from a large modern footbridge between platforms (I would say min of 3 minutes to change between platforms), Kennett hasn’t really got anything else around, some farm buildings and a busy sounding dual carriageway, I can see why it is only a 2 hourly served shack for most of the day, and another entry into the “stations next to each other with little or no direct service between them” list, as the next station up the main-line is Ely.

170207 running away from Kennett:


The view from the footbridge:


My trance was interrupted by the arrival of dud 170206 to take me back to Cambridge, pausing briefly at Newmarket and Dullingham, a quick visit outside the station to the nearby Co-Op for a meal-deal for lunch, before coming back in to board dud 170201 working the Thetford bound service (engineering works east of Thetford). The timetable between Cambridge & Ely on Sundays is just a bit rubbish in my view, yes there is 3 trains an hour between the two cities, but all 3 are within 10 minutes of each other. Anyhow after pausing at Ely and Lakenheath (where a group of lads got off) before I alighted at Brandon. The station is in Norfolk, but the village is in Suffolk, nice enough rural station with a level crossing and an old-looking footbridge. It was a short wait after a brief look around, noticing the notice board promoting some countryside walks in the forest, something to keep in mind for future years. Winner 170203 rolled in to take me back to Cambridge, a bit stop/start before we reached Ely, but arriving into Cambridge on time after a 170-thrashy run, enough time to see which 317 was on the other Stansted diagram, but it was a dud 317/8 so I turned my attention to the semi-fast Kings Cross.

170201 departing Brandon:


Duds 365511 & 365538 were in charge as I took a seat in the motor coach at the front of 511 for the fast and speedy run back towards Stevenage, the driver was very good at announcing stations. At Stevenage I had previously identified a tight +2 onto an East Coast service from Leeds, so I took a gamble, as I walked back to the other end of the platform (didn’t really think that one through), as dud DVT 82218 rolled in being pushed by required 91119, happy days another 91 into the book and without even trying to hunt then down. I found an empty seat in coach E for the short trip down to Kings Cross, arriving pretty much around the same time as I would have done if I stayed on the 365s.

Earlier in the day at Waterloo, I spotted a required 458/5 on a Windsor diagram, so previously on route to the airport, I picked up what services it should be on, but I had some time to kill before-that time, so I decided to head to Victoria for an enhanced South Eastern service (due to London Bridge High level being closed), I jumped onto dud 11067/11068 just as the doors were closing, and soon alighted at Euston, followed by another couple dud sets, with 11051/11052 taking me to Oxford circus, before duds 11077/11078 to Victoria, no winners on the busy and warm Victoria line this afternoon. To the concourse and to the South Eastern side, with a couple potential moves highlighted, the first two were dud, but the 3rd was super-dud 465915 leading winner 466020 on a Sole Street stopper. First stop was Denmark Hill, which gave me two options, back to Victoria or straight to Clapham Junction on a London Overground service.

I decided to head back to Victoria, on duds 465195 & 465242, and jumped onto a Brighton bound service (the other options were a 377/6 (or 7) and a dud 455), which was formed of duds 377120, 377138 & 377439 for the 2 mile & 59 chain leap to Clapham Junction, noting that the slows were out of action for engineering works. Through the subway and to platform 3 to await the next Waterloo bound service, due in 10 minutes, so I had the chance to sit and relax, before as expected winner 458529 rolled in with 458521 in tow to take me to Queenstown Road Battersea.

The next Woking bound service was dud (hence the reason for bailing, just in case 458507 was around), so I boarded the next Waterloo bound service, formed of dud 458505 to Vauxhall, and headed up to Victoria, jumping onto an unknown set without checking beforehand, and it was the return of 11052/11051. Back to the concourse of Victoria and back to the South Eastern side, where sadly Lady Luck wasn’t on my side, and my last possible movement was a pair of units heading to Tonbridge from platform 1, dud 465923 was leading winner 465902 and after checking RTT (and watching as a pair of 67s topping and tailed a Pullman service rolled into P2), I decided to bail 30 minutes later (yes it was a very slow run via Lewisham) at Grove Park. I through I had spotted a required 465 earlier at Victoria which would have been on the service after this one, but I was delighted when winner 465236 rolled in with 465152 in tow to take me back to Lewisham.

A couple options followed, but sadly they were duds, so I headed to the DLR platform, where due to engineering works it was double units working services to Island Gardens, the first pair was dud, so I decided to jump on duds 110 & 137 to take me to Elverson Road, the next Lewisham bound service was dud, but I was rewarded with winner 122 & friend (for my phone did its usual trick in forgetting to save my edit) for the 22 chain run back to Lewisham platform 5. Sadly either I misread the unit number earlier, misjudged the platform or a set-swap had taken place, but the next Victoria ‘fast’ was duds 465043 & 465022, although both already cleared for 10 miles and 465043 approaching double super-dud status. Into Victoria, and across to a Southern side which was in chaos and I jumped onto the first thing heading towards Clapham without checking the numbers. It was duds 377126 & 377122 for a busy run down to Clapham Junction, where after swinging around Sainsburys for a meal-deal for my dinner, headed to platform 9 to await the 19:53 service to Salisbury.

The 19:45 Salisbury Cruiser was formed of 159009 & 158881, and as expected it was easy enough to grab a table seat in the 158 for the non-stop (ish) run to Salisbury, apart from a stop around Earlsfield and slowing down at Woking for a service from Guildford to clear the flat junction, it was a fast run, arriving a good 9 minutes early. 79 miles & 49 chains in just over an hour, not bad for 90 mph stock, and a lot faster than my drive home via the quieter A338. A good day with 2 new shacks in the book, and a handful of new units (and a loco), hopefully the next time I'm in Cambridge it will be a Saturday next month involving le bike
 
Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
a Profitable day out in East Anglia, even if a bit short by your standards, Mr Kite. Shame the rain put you off going out on Friday afternoon. At least you have the option of doing the Southend Victoria branch on future Fridays - I don't think it's going anywhere soon, neither are the shacks!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Another fine read, and Sunday served you well, clearly. Makes a change for us both to have an excellent Sunday bash at the same time!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like a fun day in Anglia!
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Still plenty to keep me busy in Anglia :)

While my memory may be practising for old age, I don't recall reading much about Kite leaping around the East Suffolk line for starters. And as well as the Southend Victoria branch, I'm sure we've not heard a lot about the Southminster line either.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Strictly speaking, are Southminster and Southend Victoria's lines in Essex not Anglia? ;)

You don't hear much of anyone bashing in Essex or Anglia, even the East Midlands gets more regular visits from the forum's trip reporters than they do!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Strictly speaking, are Southminster and Southend Victoria's lines in Essex not Anglia? ;)

You don't hear much of anyone bashing in Essex or Anglia, even the East Midlands gets more regular visits from the forum's trip reporters than they do!

Problem is the lack of any real rovers for those Essex branch lines, at least north of Cambridge & Ipswich has the Anglia Plus Day Ranger.
 

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
Strictly speaking, are Southminster and Southend Victoria's lines in Essex not Anglia? ;)

You don't hear much of anyone bashing in Essex or Anglia, even the East Midlands gets more regular visits from the forum's trip reporters than they do!

I can heartily recommend a trip to Norfolk, Suffolk etc. There are some delightful wayside stations, preserved steam railways (full size) and narrow gauge. If Lord Techniquest wants to see olden-day trams, he could do no worse than head for the East Anglia Transport Museum near Lowestoft, where there are preserved trams from London and elsewhere running on most weekends during the summer. Of course we have the 37s as well, and a decent amount of freight at places such as Ely and Ipswich.
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
I can heartily recommend a trip to Norfolk, Suffolk etc. There are some delightful wayside stations, preserved steam railways (full size) and narrow gauge. If Lord Techniquest wants to see olden-day trams, he could do no worse than head for the East Anglia Transport Museum near Lowestoft, where there are preserved trams from London and elsewhere running on most weekends during the summer. Of course we have the 37s as well, and a decent amount of freight at places such as Ely and Ipswich.

I heartily concur. The museum at Carlton Collville (nearest shack Oulton Broad South, I believe) is on this summer's to-do list. The Bure Valley is also a smashing line, due a revisit.

Need to work out the logistics of doing Berney Arms by boat though. Is tpedaloRpedalo hire place at Reedham? :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I can heartily recommend a trip to Norfolk, Suffolk etc. There are some delightful wayside stations, preserved steam railways (full size) and narrow gauge. If Lord Techniquest wants to see olden-day trams, he could do no worse than head for the East Anglia Transport Museum near Lowestoft, where there are preserved trams from London and elsewhere running on most weekends during the summer. Of course we have the 37s as well, and a decent amount of freight at places such as Ely and Ipswich.

I'm not suggesting it's not worth going, far from it, as there's plenty over there I want to do. The North Norfolk dielsel gala in particular appeals, as do the trains on the mainlines. Getting much done in Essex is not cheap mind, the lack of a rover/ranger south of Ipswich does not help whatsoever. Same problem on c2c, we'd all go down there far more often if there was one!
 

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
The NNR roster for the diesel gala in June so far is 20227 (which arrives tomorrow), 50026, 33035 and regular locos 25057, 37032 & 31207. Regular updates are on the PLEG website and Weybourne Traction Group Facebook page. I agree that the lack of a rover for Essex is a bit of a pain, especially when it comes to getting the shacks.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
I'm not suggesting it's not worth going, far from it, as there's plenty over there I want to do. The North Norfolk dielsel gala in particular appeals, as do the trains on the mainlines. Getting much done in Essex is not cheap mind, the lack of a rover/ranger south of Ipswich does not help whatsoever. Same problem on c2c, we'd all go down there far more often if there was one!

Unless you fancy putting on a beard and a few wrinkles :lol: http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/daily-tickets-and-fares/senior-rover/
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
While my memory may be practising for old age, I don't recall reading much about Kite leaping around the East Suffolk line for starters. And as well as the Southend Victoria branch, I'm sure we've not heard a lot about the Southminster line either.

Funny how you should say that... ;)



First Great Eastern lives with the world's smallest (and cheapest) P&D station car-park (Can anybody beat 5 spaces [4 regular, 1 disabled] for 50p a day?)!
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
Kite, excellent stuff!

Congratulations on your LM shacks, and the London challenge sounds like a good time :)

Maybe Anglia is just short of rail enthusiasts, due to the lack of decent railways?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Kite, excellent stuff!

Congratulations on your LM shacks, and the London challenge sounds like a good time :)

Maybe Anglia is just short of rail enthusiasts, due to the lack of decent railways?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, well done Lord Kite (or should that now be Viscount Grateley, not read Betty Battenberg's birthday honours list yet, so don't know if you've been promoted!)

I disagree that there are no decent railways in Anglia. The Mid-Norfolk have just put on a superb gala; the North Norfolk will no doubt do the same. The Bure Valley is a nice country ride and has (or had, its been a while) a rather nifty Hymek lookalike. And the very narrow gauge Garratt at the Wells & Walsingham is an absolute monster :)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Agree, well done Lord Kite (or should that now be Viscount Grateley, not read Betty Battenberg's birthday honours list yet, so don't know if you've been promoted!)

I disagree that there are no decent railways in Anglia. The Mid-Norfolk have just put on a superb gala; the North Norfolk will no doubt do the same. The Bure Valley is a nice country ride and has (or had, its been a while) a rather nifty Hymek lookalike. And the very narrow gauge Garratt at the Wells & Walsingham is an absolute monster :)

And they have 37s, what more could you ask for? ;)
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
True, and 90s! I was thinking in terms of mainline variety, it's not quite in the same league as Donny or Crewe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
22nd April – Onwards in Great Eastern Land

When I was looking into my plans (for I am a man with a plan) how to visit the various stations along the Southend Victoria branch, I noticed that for a couple hours in the evening peak the frequency doubles to roughly every 10 minutes, so it should be easy enough to grab the shacks linearly with enough time for a brief look around.

Due to the slight wet weather (not as bad as the previous week as the roads weren’t rivers), I drove to Andover in time for the 15:06 service, formed this afternoon of 159006 & 159108 for the speedy run into Waterloo, although held up around Woking & Clapham Junction for a late running service from the Guildford direction to clear the junctions, but at least it didn’t mean the usual sitting outside Waterloo for 5 minutes waiting for the platform to become available. It was a fast walk down to the Waterloo & City line platform, to jump onto duds 65503/65504 for the mile and a half to Bank, exiting via the manual gate (as I’m not sure what would happen if I put my ticket through the barrier, would it work the gates the other side of the hill due to the ongoing refurbishment work of the subway?).

Onto the Central line platform, and having just missed a service I walked towards the rear of the platform, for two reasons, the first was to grab the unit numbers of the next service, the 2nd was because it is easier to leave the underground at Liverpool Street. A central line service formed of required sets 91163/92226/92432/91205 rolled in and took me the tiny distance to Liverpool Street, where I arrived onto the concourse a mere 13 minutes after leaving the concourse at Waterloo, enough time to check a couple potential linear hops. Mainly a trio of 360s which runs fast from Stratford to Chelmsford, which were all dud so I dashed around and leapt onto the next Southend service [the other linear hop towards Witham departed from the West Anglia side of the station].

All I managed to grab as I leapt on was the rear unit was dud 321319, and walking through passing the passengers who decided to stay in the area around the rearmost door (even though there was seats available in the next coach), I alighted at Stratford for a quick walk up to see what was on the front, and it turned out to be required 321341, happy days as I stood away from the crowds on the island platform, watching a 90 unload passengers from Norwich, the trio of 360s arrived and departed, before the following Witham service. Dud 321363 was leading required 321355 so it was onto the front coach of 355 for the speedy run to Shenfield. The next Southend service was due to depart from platform 5, so under the subway and up to await the arrival of the first 12-car of the evening.

In rolled a trio formed of dud 321350, winner 321328 and dud 321338 to take me the 4 miles & 28 chains to my first new shack of the evening at Billericay. nice enough shack where the train emptied out a bit, and 9 or so minutes later duds 321320 & 321426 to take me to Rayleigh, where a lot more passengers alighted, and I took a seat under the canopy out of the rain which had started to get annoying, but the next service was formed of 12 coaches so it was back to the trios…

…and in rolled a trio of duds, 321432, 321442 & 321436 for the short sub 3-mile hop to Hockley, for another short fester at an unremarkable station, before super-dud 321443 rolled in with required 321307 in the middle and 321308 at the end for the short hop to Rochford. Another nice old footbridge, and decent canopy for the 10 minute wait before winner 321423 rolls in with duds 321356 & 321305 for the tiny 70 chain leap to Southend Airport. Sadly nothing much around the airport apart from an Easyjet plane, but 321423 gets the honours of 321 with the least distance (beats that GN 321 on a hop between Cambridge villages shacks last month). I didn’t want to hang around Southend Airport for long, and thankfully duds 321314/321440/321336 rolled in to take me to my final shack along the line at Prittlewell

I had noticed that someone had dropped an outer boundary travelcard issued 20 or so minute earlier, which probably would cost them something once in London (especially if RPIs boarded), and that it was mostly only 8-car units coming back up from Southend on a roughly 20 minute frequency (so half the services were going direct to the sidings at Southend after working as well as some units, so something to bear in mind for future). Anyhow, it was fresh dud 321307 & 321308 to take me back up the line to Wickford, where my focus would shift towards a couple of the shacks on the Crouch Valley line, so purchasing my ticket from the TVM, and noting a dud 321 sitting on platform 1 (strangely not locked out of use seeing as it would stay there for another 50-odd minutes as the next Southminster service came from Liverpool Street).

In rolled winner 321324 which emptied out a bit at Wickford, so I managed to grab a seat for the short run to North Fambridge the passing loop on the single track line, so normally either get lucky with the +1 connection or a 40 minute+ fester, but I had noticed that the next Shenfield bound service gave a 5 minute connection as it sat on the platform for 5 minutes before departing. Winner 321421 was leading dud 321425 & 321424 (which was looked out of use, I suspect it gets locked out of use after Wickford) for the short trip back to Battlesbridge for a long fester in the rain.

For future reference there appears to be a pub at the bottom of the station approach road, with must feature the smallest station car-park which is Pay & Display, 4 car-park spaces plus 1 disabled bay, charging 50p a day to park, makes me wonder if it is really worth charging for such a tiny car-park, probably costs NCP more to maintain the ticket machine than it does in revenue. Anyhow after a brief look around I returned to the platform, to stand underneath a rubbish shelter, to await the arrival of dud 321310 to take me to the chavastic South Woodham Ferrers, oh yeah it is Essex, smokers on the platform looking at the passengers alighting, ignoring the TVM as they boarded fresh dud 321324, I suspect the 2nd member of staff on board (I would say guard, but I think the services on this line are DOO for 4 car services) was busy selling tickets to the chavs, playing their rap ‘music’ loud and “proud” in the front coach (I could hear it from the motor-coach over the noise of the motors).

Anyhow back at Wickford and a short walk over the footbridge to platform 3 as dud 321342 rolled in to take me to Shenfield as I had time for a small linear hop from a service from Clacton (or wait 20 minutes for a trio of units from Southend). I had a smile on my face when winner 360101 rolled in with dud 360119 in tow, as 101 was my last 360 to get, so I took a seat for the short run back to Stratford, and down to the DLR platform as required units 95 & 35 rolled in to take me the mile (or so) to West Ham. Up and over the footbridge as I got into position for some 96 stock hunting, and first up was required 96100/96081 which I took for the 78 chain leap to Canning Town, and took out the deckchair.

3 dud sets came and went as I decided to jump on the next set regardless (owing to a 5 minute gap afterwards), as winner 96014 rolled in with dud 96079 on the rear to North Greenwich, where I crossed over to the bay platform as winner 96104/96049 was in the bay ready to form the next service towards Waterloo (hence the 5 minute gap). Nice sound of motor noise later and I was into Waterloo, swinging via Sainsburys for a meal-deal and via McDonalds to use up a free Sundae voucher, before heading up for the 22:20 to Salisbury. Which was the front train blocking a 444, and it was 159107 which has returned from its mild holiday at Loughborough.

Nice (busy until Woking) run back to Andover, as I reflected on a good day, and probably will head out towards that Southend line again in the future to hunt down my 321s as I still need quite a few and I’ve only got 9 x 321 served shacks left in GA land to get (2 more on Southminster branch, 1 on the Clacton branch, 4 on the Harwich branch, pus 2 on the main-line.

Anyhow First Great Eastern lives!


------------

23rd April – A Ticket to Ryde

A nice relaxing day for me, with the latest UK Railtours trip to the Isle of Wight, mainly to get coverage of the Steam Railway and hopefully a required 483, with free connecting travel to the nearest pick-up (which today was Woking) gave me a couple options, either a drive to Andover for the 7:38 (from Yeovil, I think) or Grateley for the 7:59 (from Honiton), the earlier arrival will give me some time to kill in Woking for a supply raid for lunch, so decided to aim for that service.

Good thing as it was a trio of units, formed of 159011, 159007 & 159001, so I had a nice bit of space (compared to the 7:59 which rolled into Woking reported as “full and standing” as it was only a single unit. After locating the Sainsburys for a supply raid (not really that easy as it’s buried within a shopping centre), I picked up a rover for the following weekend to kill time before waiting on platform 5 for the special charter service to roll in.

Happy days as 159022 rolled in with 159008 at the rear, as 022 was my lowest mileage 159, so the run towards Portsmouth Harbour certainly gave it a good push, nothing unusual on the route via Guildford & Haslemere, pausing outside Havant and again between Fratton & Portsmouth and Southsea before a slow crawl through the high level platforms towards Portsmouth Harbour, arriving pretty much on time. Lots of passengers headed towards the loading stage to board the “Wight Scene” (red pen time!) for a small harbour cruise showing off many of the royal navy’s ships.

After the short cruise we crossed over the Solent and docked at Ryde Pier Head, due to maintenance issues Island Line were only running single unit services rather than the usual double units previously used on weekends where UK Railtours ran these tours, and with the first departure to Smallbrook Junction due to be very busy, a couple double decker buses were roped in as crowd busters, involving a walk along the pier to the bus stop, where a Vectis Blue double decker, fleet 1523 featuring bars on the top window (as tree bashers I assuming), for the rather nice run towards the Steam Railway HQ at Havenstreet (although from the “branch” being shouted by the person in the seat in front makes me wonder if they have ever been on a double decker before when they brush against low laying branches). It was certainly different then catching a dud 483 and standing all the way to Smallbrook.

After a brief look around the HQ area, at some of the old carriages & wagons in various stages of being rebuilt, and some history in the “Train Story” area, featuring some old steam locos being rebuilt, before I headed to the gate for the Brake Van Shuttle, where a class 05 shunter was being used to go backwards and forward up to the head-shunt of the siding used to access the Train Story area. So “Nuclear Fred” D2554 hauled me in a brake van to the head-shunt before reversing back to the start where everybody was forced to alight and if they wanted another go join the back of the queue. Certainly an interesting experience with my first 05 shunter, before I headed over to the platform at Havenstreet to await the arrival of the Wootton bound service with the “4 wheel” carriages [from the Victorian era].

The little steam loco was “LB&SCR A1X Class W11 Newport” and taking a seat in one of the armchairs in a rather lush first class compartment (I could steal those armchairs!) for the slightly bouncy ride to the end of the line at Wootton, a station with not really a lot around, watching as the loco changed end as I changed compartments for the run back to Havenstreet, changing compartments again during the 25 minute wait for the other service to cross over, mainly for another armchair for the run through the countryside to the end of the line at Smallbrook Junction, the interchange with the Island line services with no outside access.

I was planning to head back to Havenstreet to make a connection with the other steam loco, however when we called at the request stop at Ashey I couldn’t help myself and I bailed at the station in the middle of nowhere with someone taking some pictures who was happy he wasn’t alone as I could flag down the train where he could take a picture. Nice enough platform and it felt strange flagging down the Ivatt 2-6-2 Tank, number 41298, before boarding the “bogie” stock, didn’t feel as nice inside as the 4-wheel carriages, but gave a better ride.

Back to Smallbrook Junction and to the other platform (where I can safety say that I have now cleared the Island Line shacks), sadly both units out were dud, so I decided to head to Shanklin on 483004 before returning to Lake for a mile grab, before 483006 took me back to Shanklin, changing ends for the run back to Ryde Pier Head, first time going to Pier Head by train, and it got busy at Smallbrook Junction (I bet the last service would have been rammed). A brief PNB before we were allowed to board the Wight Scene for the semi-direct run back to Portsmouth Harbour, waiting around for the Wight Ryder Cat to depart from the “Cat Flap” before heading back to the pair of 159s which rolled into platform 3.

Smooth enough run, a bit of a crawl making not the nicest of noise around the curve at Portsmouth & Southsea station, before heading back in a northern direction up the Portsmouth Direct Line, rolling into Woking a minute or so late, however thankfully we went into P2, which meant I could have a cross platform leap onto the Salisbury bound service, which for me was a first time event as it was formed of 4-coaches, 158883 leading 158887 [first time in having a pair of 158s on their own on the main-line] and after a toilet break (just when did SWT update the sink modules to include a hand-dryer which works at drying hands?) I located a seat for the run back to Andover.

I headed home via a visit to the takeaway pizza shop for some dinner (if I had missed that connection at Woking, I would have headed to McDonalds for dinner to kill the 30 minute wait). Anyhow sadly with two 483s left, I need to head back to the Island, probably on a Summer Sunday where it should be double units for the crowds, but at least the stations are clear and the coverage of the Steam Railway is complete (and I can eventually see the Island Line going over to trams, with one of the tracks from Smallbrook being used solely by the steam railway back to Ryde St Johns.

Anyhow some pictures of the enjoyable day:

It’s a baby steam engine:


Class 05 coming through:


41298:


Engine not in use today:


W11 is back:


1st class, Victorian style:


Smallbrook Junction:


Ashey:


From a 1951 steam engine...


To 1939 tube stock:


Lake even has Smartcard readers!


When did this get fitted to the 158s?

------------------

24th April – A Marathon Effort

To say farewell to the £15 SWT day returns promotional fare (which has run for quite some time); a day-trip to London was in order, with the focus mainly on avoiding the marathon (and the football at Wembley). I got some gem at the location of a few of my remaining units, which I decided to build up a rough plan to try and get some little odds & sods cleared up.

It was to Andover (for the line was closed between Salisbury & Andover, otherwise I would have gone to Salisbury) and onto 159013, which departed quite busy (and a couple minutes late due to waiting for the bus to arrive), got very busy at Basingstoke where it was full & standing down the aisles, leaving passengers behind at Woking (where I noticed the guard opening the front door so he could close the doors, probably couldn’t get back in at the rear of the unit (and probably spent the rest of the journey in the front next to the driver).

No chance at alighting at Clapham, so it was onwards to Waterloo, where eventually I got off the service and headed to the Jubilee line, my first required unit was 387121 which was due to be working a Brighton – London Bridge service (the Thameslink core was closed so Thameslink were diverting 2 trains an hour to London Bridge), but first a trip to Canada Water, as last year it was renamed “Buxton Water” for the day in a sponsorship deal with some bottle water brand.

First Jubi line service was winners 96001/96116 which were quite busy as it took me to Canada Water, sadly no name change this year, so it was back to London Bridge on required 96060/96043, and up-to the low level platforms, with a couple options, either a pair of dud 387s heading to Brighton or a pair of dud 377s heading to Horsham, I decided to pick dud 377105 & 377161 as 105 contains nicer seating, and decided to bail at Norwood Junction for a short wait before dud 455837 rolled in to continue my journey southwards to East Croydon.

On checking RTT, it highlighted that the service 387121 was meant to have been on was cancelled, but wanting to hang around just in case it would pop up on the next Thameslink working gave me around 40 minutes to kill, so it was to the trams…

…to find nothing heading west of East Croydon due to an incident, with trams terminating at East Croydon, either reversing in platform 2 or heading out and reversing to the west of the station. The first tram was dud, but it wasn’t long before required 2537 rolled in, reversed and I boarded to head to Lebanon Road, crossing the busy road to await trams heading towards East Croydon (knowing if there was nothing I was only a sub 5 minute walk away from the station), first two services arrived pretty much on top of each other, but both were dud, giving me a good 10 minute wait before winner 2561 rolled up to take me down the hill to East Croydon. At least 2 more trams are into the book, but sadly a swing via Sainsburys found hardly any sandwiches left, so I gave that a miss, picked up my BZ6 ticket for later and went down to platform 4.

Due to engineering works to the south of Croydon, only the “slows” were open, so everything heading north was in platform 4, which was busy due to Crystal Palace supporters heading to Wembley. I would have through they would have headed to London Bridge and direct onto the Jubilee line up towards Wembley Park (changing at Finchley Road) which probably would be quicker than the queues at Victoria for the Victoria line and a long walk at Green Park. Anyhow first service was a dud stopper, 2nd was a dud 377 heading to London Bridge, 3rd service was a Victoria bound service with the next up being the Thameslink service I was after. My plan changed as the Victoria serviced was dud 377432 with winner 377438 on the rear.

To Clapham Junction on a busy 377438, where I bailed and jumped onto a pair of 455s heading to Waterloo, which were 455852 & 455726, although the run up-to Clapham I did spot my 2nd last Southern 455 floating around, so I had a plan to hunt it down after a detour to West Hampstead. As time was a tad tight I jumped onto super duds 96028/96055 for the run up to West Hampstead, arriving with 5 minutes to get over to the Thameslink station, strangely the barriers at the Jubilee station were open and the barriers at the Thameslink station were closed (normally it’s the other way round), over the footbridge and down to platform 1 as the next St Pancras arrival was just rolling in. Dud 377209 was leading winner (and final 377/5) 377519, so taking a seat in 377519 for the run down to St Pancras, micro-gricing the cross-over into the northbound platform.

Out of the station and via Boots for lunch, and to the Northern line platforms, with 51584/51585 taking me the slow trip south, waiting around at every station due to an incident around Tooting services were being turned around early (the dragons had escaped), I through hope was lost as 20 minutes later we arrived into London Bridge, but thankfully I misread RTT and the 455 I spotted earlier wasn’t the 13:09, but the 13:22, it just sat at P14 for an extended time [I’m guessing due to Sutton services being sent via Peckham, meant a reduced frequency for Southern services]. Anyhow required 455813 was sitting there, so after a short wait we were away, happy days as I planned a route to take as I bailed at Peckham Rye.

The next London Bridge 455 was dud, so I headed over to the South Eastern platform, where duds 465175/465243 took me to Victoria, which was going to be a risk, but thankfully the queues for the Sub-surface line platforms weren’t as bad (sounded like the Victoria Line barriers were closed due to overcrowding at the platforms due to poor station design where everybody enters the platform at a single point). My focus shifted to being at Paddington for the service to Hereford (hence the reason for the BZ ticket earlier), but as the circle line is only every 10 minutes, it gave me a chance for a spot of linear hopping on the district line, with 21451/21452 taking me to Sloane Square, with 21345/21346 swiftly following to take me to South Kensington, a pair of dud D stock was next before duds 21303/21304 to Notting Hill Gate, followed by a nervous wait for winners 21355/21356 to Paddington.

Upto the main-station, and across to platform 2 where the 14:41 to Hereford was waiting, with dud 166210 leading winner 166219 (caught you at last you sneaky 166), first stop was Slough, and with a BZ6 – Slough ticket only costing me less than £3 it would be rude to turn it down, as my remaining 166 is out of action pretending to be a 172 and having caught fire last year, so when I get round to doing a HST hunting day, I don’t have to worry about the Turbos. A nice enough run to Slough, keeping an eye out on the state of play with the wiring and the various platform extensions being built to handle the new 345s. Arrival into Slough was a good 5 minutes up, which gave me 20 or so minutes to kill before the next stopper back towards London, so I headed via Tesco to give me something to do.


The next stopper was formed of 5 coaches, and was duds 165110 & 165123 to take me to Ealing Broadway, the driver kindly mentioning to be very careful as the step from the train to the platform on the main-line side of the station was quite large, and with nothing else to do apart from heading towards Putney or Clapham to try and intercept a 458/5, I decided to do some linear hops on the Central line:

91281-92112-92036-91121 to North Acton
91179-92230-92402-91257 to East Acton
91089-92046-92216-91153 to White City
91325-32120-92176-91185 to Shepherd’s Bush
91123-92092-91311-91079 to Notting Hill Gate

The platforms at the closed Holland Park look so strange, and at Notting Hill Gate it was a long way up to the sub-surface line platforms:

21501-21502 to High Street Kensington
7510*-7007 to Earls Court (I must have wrote down the wrong number for the leading set as 7510 was one of the first to be withdrawn, but it was a case of jump on as it was sat in the bay platform)
21471-21472 to Barons Court
242-123 to Hammersmith (Piccadilly Line)
193-126 to Barons Court (Piccadilly Line)
7532-7048 to Earls Court
7028-7098 to West Brompton (similarly to 7510, I must have wrote down the wrong number as 7098 has been redrawn, but the platform was very busy due to marathon crowds
21463-21464 to Fulham Broadway
21497-21498 to Parsons Green
21409-21410 to Putney Bridge (complete with working PIS for a platform which doesn’t have any track in anymore)
21507-21508 to East Putney.

That was the end of the underground linear hops, a few dud S7s in the mix, but mostly were all winners. With a fast walk took me along the road at Putney to reach Putney main-line station with a couple minutes to spare to head down to the platform before winner 458507 rolled up attached to 458523, which I boarded 458507, and made use of the toilet, holding my breath as they stink.

To Waterloo, and to the Jubilee line platform, with 3 services within 3 minutes and then nothing for 6 minutes, first 2 were duds, but the 3rd was required 96083/96082 to take me to London Bridge, upto the main concourse where the 18:10 to Brighton which I through might have been 387121 [following the diagram it would have been on if it hadn’t been cancelled], but as soon as I saw the rear of a 377/5 I turned and headed back (this is when 387121 and another 387 would have been sat as the front train ahead of the 377/5 which would be on a following Sutton service). Required 96090/96039 took me back to Waterloo, where I went upstairs to board the 18:15 to Exeter & Bristol, formed this evening of a very busy 159003/159004, all I can say is roll on the May timetable where the XX:45s to Salisbury call at Andover, which will probably take off some of the pressure of the longer-distance services [not to mention the ending of the £15 deal].

Anyhow a nice drive home, and a chance to reflect on a very productive day with 5 new units in the book (of which 2 were unplanned), a couple trams and a good range of LU units. I think the Central line to the west of White City is quite good for linear hopping, as it’s out in the open and the services aren’t so busy as they are in the main “core”.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
You were certainly busy typing those then! Another set of excellent reads, I don't have to tell you I'd have scored quite a bit out of all that, especially on the Central and Jubilee lines, not to mention the many shack scores I need.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
I think that part of the Central Line is good to grab units, as apart from White City terminators you get all the services, all outdoors and quiet platforms.

Better than being in a tunnel on a busy platform
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Indeed, but you lose the magic out that far, you don't get the pace, the rush, the busyness and the noise. But then I come from Nowhere Heath, where it's quiet and boring, so perhaps it appeals to me more for that reason.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top