That looks like the bay platform at Mansion House. S Stock can't fit in it so I think it isn't used very often now?
That D stock barely fitted into the rarely used bay, I was in the right place at the right time on Monday to see a Mansion House terminator around South Kensington, so decided to grab the slightly rare micro-grice of the bay platform. Anyhow onto
24th March Operation LU part 1
I had an idea to try and attempt to clear as much of the London underground/DLR/Tramlink as possible over the long Easter weekend , and with an early finish on the Thursday, I decided to make a start, focusing on a line which was due to be closed for the long weekend. A fast walk to the station to pick up my travel-card to jump onto 159010/159103 forming the 14:59 to Waterloo, and an hour and 15 minutes later we were rolling into Waterloo, a few minutes early which is always a benefit (rather than sitting outside Waterloo for an half empty outer suburban service towards Guildford to roll out)
As it was the early evening, the peak-time subway was open, and as I find it easier to reach the Waterloo & City line using the subway (just to there being less crowds) I soon reach the Waterloo & City line platform, the first departure is dud 65501/65502 so I let that go, which I think was a very good call as the next service was required
65503/65504, my last of the 5 sets working the drain services, so it was to Bank and via the maze of tunnels and passageways I found the DLR platform. First up was a Lewisham bound service formed of winners
97, 52 & 54 which I took to Shadwell, a station I had previously used but had no record of using. A short wait at the island platform before the next service towards either Beckton or Woolwich Arsenal (cant recall), which was another trio of units, with required
153 leading dud 146 with required
103 on the rear, to take me to my first new outright shack of the day at
Blackwell.
A quick crossing of the platforms (watching the traffic below building up), and required
09, 31 & 28 took me to Poplar with a cross platform interchange onto a Canary Wharf bound service formed of
27 & 37 for the short hop around the bend to
West India Quay. A short interchange to the other platform and a short wait for 37 & 27 to roll back in, as my target was set on the Stratford line, with a 3-4 minute frequency due to the evening peak, most of the doubles the front unit was busy but the rear unit wasnt, so my movements were:
37 &27 to All Saints
86 & 48 to Langdon Park
141 & 135 to Devons Road
155 & 110 to Bow Church
62 & 90 to Pudding Mill Lane
78 & 44 to Stratford
I was happy as all were required units (although to be fair Ive only got a very limited number of units logged so I was expecting to get winners), a slow walk to platform 9 with a couple options to get me to Liverpool Street for a quick Network Rail hop, first up was a trio of 321s, with duds 321442 & 321441 leading required
321443, so it was to Liverpool Street which was probably a bit of a mistake, as by the time I reached the sub-surface line platform, it seemed to have collapsed into itself.
5 minutes before the first service appeared, and it was a metropolitan line service, but followed closely by required
21321/21322 to take me to Stepney Green. No platform information here to say when the next service was due, so it was a couple long(ish) gaps (ok 5 minutes might not sound a lot, but in terms of evening peak on the district line it felt a lot longer. Duds 21421/21422 rolled in to take me to Bow Road, before a good run of required units, with my movements below:
21377/21378 Bow Road to Bromley-by-Bow (Hammersmith & City)
21469/21470 to Plaistow (makes note of the bay platform)
7061/7506 to Upton Park
7518/7046 to East Ham
21429/21430 to Upney
21351/21352 to Becontree
21495/21496 to Dagenham Heathway
7500/7070 to Dagenham East (another bay platform here, the next service terminated there)
7031/7012 to Elm Park
21459/21460 to Hornchurch
7121/7044 to Upminster Bridge
And 21507/21508 finally to Upminster, where I made use of the toilets on platform 1 for a quick PNB before the rain started, most of the stations along this route are basic, mix between island platforms & side platforms with locked toilets & waiting rooms. It was increasing to see the various C2C units roaring pass, but it was now time for a quick check of RTT to highlight possible movements back towards West Ham. First two sets were duds, so it was the 3rd set which would have been used regardless (or have a 20 minute gap). Dud 357041 was leading required
357028 to take me to West Ham, no point doing a linear bash at Barking as there would be that 20 minute gap. I decided to jump down to the DLR platforms as the next Stratford International service was only a minute away, but sadly it was formed of dud units 72 & 76 to take me the 77 chains to Stratford.
A quick check of RTT highlighted a few possible movements, but sadly it was a couple dud single 321s and a dud 90, so it was back to the low level platforms, with required
96102 &
96029 to take me the 20 minutes to Waterloo. Heading via Sainsburys for a meal deal, before the 21:20 service, which tonight was formed of 159009 leading 158886, and as usual was busy (mix between Woking passengers wanting a fast to Woking and passengers for Winchester as the line is closed during the weekday evenings for ballast cleaning). A nice walk home as I reflected on clearing the DLR line towards Stratford, plus a couple other stations, and clearing of the district line.
25th March Operation LU, part 2
Making use of the bank holiday and the no peak-restriction meant I had a walk to the station to catch the 06:59, a service which on a normal weekday would be the quad set (158-158-159-159), but today was just 159012. After thinking up a possible plan of the day, my idea was to head to Croydon to finish off the Tramlink system, and with the line between Clapham & Victoria closed for engineering works, meant most long distance services were starting from London Bridge, a quick check on route for departure times gave me a 20 minute window before the next departure.
To the jubilee line, and required 96117/96062 was up first for the tiny hop to Southwark, followed by required 96065/96004 to London Bridge, up to the main-line station, where the first service was a Thameslink branded service, formed of dud units 377150/377158/377104, yep all 3 Southern units with the onboard PIS saying this is the Southern Service to Brighton, why couldnt GTR just be simple and call it a Southern service to stop confusion as it rolled into Croydon (announced as Thameslink, but some passengers were confused as it said Southern). [I wonder through if you were on a Southern Daysave ticket and were checked by a RPI].
Anyhow it was outside, and via the little Sainsburys Local for a quick bite to eat before heading to the tram stop, due to the line between East Croydon and Reeves Corner being closed for engineering works, trams were terminating & starting at East Croydon, so to platform 2 with dud tram 2552 waiting on the next New Addington service, with my movements as follows:
2552 to Lloyd Park
2540 to Coombe Lane
2547 to Gravel Hill
2546 to Fieldway
2547 to Addington Village (A sneaky double back)
2538 to King Henrys Drive
2546 to Sandilands
Sadly all those trams were dud, and after a brief moment of rest at Sandilands to see what other trams were out and about, saw nothing required, it was onto 2544 back to East Croydon. All the tram-stops were basic, and the sun was shining with a roughly 8 minute frequency, but all the stops were done (so an idea for a future Sunday will be to fester around Croydon to hunt down my last 20 trams).
I had two ideas to take me back towards the city, either a Thameslink for the slow crawl to Blackfriars and onwards to West Hampstead, however that was formed of a pair of dud 387s and looked quite busy (and if I did that ~ 45 minute journey I would want a seat). Next up was a semi-fast to London Bridge, formed of duds 377451 & 377408 (when you need only 9 Southern 377s, coming across required units are an additional bonus). Sadly it was busy and the toilet was out of order (and I wanted a quick PNB before hitting LU), a plan was formed and dud 96028/96055 took me to Southwark, where I crossed over to Waterloo East, and jumped on the first service towards Charing Cross (making sure it wasnt a 376).
Duds 465008/465247/466028 were the trio I jumped on to make use of the (thankfully open) toilet on 465247, for the short trip to Charing Cross. Going via the Co-op on the Strand on route to the Bakerloo platforms for lunch, and down to the Bakerloo platforms, luck wasnt on my side as two dud sets rolled in before I decided to take 3558/3261 to Baker Street, crossing over to the northbound Jubilee line platform as dud 96078/96053 rolled in, with my movements as followed:
96078/96053 to Neasden
96108/96085 to Wembley Park (not a required shack, but this was a Wembley Park terminator and was required)
96006/96019 to Kingsbury
96038/96113 to Queensbury (both dud sets)
96022/96075 to Canons Park
With the jubilee line cleared, I exited the station and headed to the bus stop outside the station for an Edgware bound service, first up was a route 186 to Brent Cross, a Metrolink operated double decker fleet TE992 took me the short distance to Edgware, where I could start with my Northern line stations.
51571/51570 to Burnt Oak
51503/51502 to Colindale
51630/51720 to Brent Cross
51604/51603 to Golders Green (dud units)
51636/51635 to Hampstead (dud units)
51641/51640 to Belsize Park (dud units, and a station which was on my have visited in the pass, but had no records of list)
51711/51551 to Camden Town
Crossing over to the High Barnet branch, and jumping on the first set for:
51666/51667 to Tufnell Park
51665/51725 to Archway (dud units, and like Belsize Park, a previously visited station where I had no record of)
51627/51626 to Highgate (being in the fresh air was lovely)
51568/51569 to East Finchley
51684/51683 to West Finchley (making use of the toilet on the platform)
51645/51646 to Woodside Park
51723/51651 to Totteridge & Whetstone
With the northern line now cleared, I headed out of the station and to the bus stop, this time a longer wait (10 minutes) before a bus on route 251 rolled in, heading to Arnos Grove, and was a London Sovereign DE62 single decker for the ~ 3 mile trip to the Piccadilly line, other options were available. At Arnos Grove it was a bit of a fresh air before heading to the platforms to firstly head north
102/149 to Oakwood
132/163 to Southgate
151/856 to Bounds Green
250/171 to Wood Green
245/860 to Turnpike Lane
205/122 to Manor House
225/160 to Holloway Road*
170/219 to Caledonian Road
118/197 to Russell Square
196/159 to Covent Garden
The last 4 stations were on my have visited, but never recorded list, so that is the Piccadilly line cleared from Uxbridge to Cockfosters, leaving just the Heathrow branch, all the movements were on required units (I allowed 102/149 & 132/163 to head back south without me). I had finished a lot earlier than I was expecting so it was across the island platform at Covent Garden with required 131 & 112 to Holborn, walking to the Central line, with required 91031/92090/92148/91327 to take me to Stratford for a break (and a quick visit to the shopping centre).
30 or so minutes later I was back at Stratford, fully refreshed after a toilet break & with food inside me, however my plan was either to head on the central line or to do some more DLR, with the Central line suspended due to a trespasser on the line, I headed to the DLR platforms, winner 23 & dud 48 took me to Star Lane where I decided to gamble with a Stratford International bound working, but was duds 72 & 76, for the short hop to West Ham. Required 96048/96087 took me to Canning Town where I transferred to the high level DLR platforms to head towards Beckton, my movements as follows (required units highlighted)
133 &
139 to Prince Regent
65 & 07 to Royal Albert
46 & 28 to Beckton Park
114 & 142 to Cyprus
15 & 91 to Gallions Reach
28 & 46 to Custom House for ExCeL, that is the line cleared for shacks, before I did a couple hops to get some units into the book
05 & 26 to Prince Regent
127 & 112 to Royal Albert
38 & 61 to Custom House
131 & 132 to Prince Regent
26 & 05 to Royal Victoria
16 & 22 to Custom House
And finally 112 & 127 to Canning Town
Frequency was every 5 minutes, mix between services to Tower Gateway and short workings to Canning Town Low-level. The Woolwich Arsenal branch was now in my sights, so my movements were
23 & 48 to West Silvertown
51 & 66 to London City Airport
147 & 152 back to Pontoon Dock (very tight connection, only made it due to the train captain keeping the doors open so he could change units)
62 &
92 to King George V
144, 128 &
145 to Woolwich Arsenal.
I somehow picked the right unit for a quick interchange at Woolwich Arsenal (only a 15 minute frequency due to engineering works) and a warm 376036 rolled in to take me to Blackheath, before dud 376008 & required
376011 rolled in to take me to Waterloo East, scoring the new viaduct between Waterloo East & London Bridge in the process! Making that +2 at Woolwich allowed me to go via Tesco on Waterloo Road, before dashing up to jump onto 159103 working the 19:50 departure to Salisbury, for a rare non-stop run via Clapham Junction. Arriving on time at Grateley, with a short walk home to put my feet up, a very successful day I would say
