• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
That sounds like a very fun day. Which 390 did you have back from Lime Street though?

Dud 390005, although dud due to a Stockport Manchester leap.

I will need to return to the Southport line as that is all that is required shack wise in Merseyside, Southport to Wigan/Manchester via Swinton is thankfully cleared.

------

I'm happy tonight :)
Lord Techni knows the reason why
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Kite in Japan – Day 10

Today was a later start than normal, bags to the bus by 8:45, instead of the more usual 8:00 or 8:15, however breakfast wasn’t that much cope, wasn’t a lot of choices compared to other hotels (although if that was down to arriving later than normal for breakfast I wouldn’t know), anyhow the main feature of day 10 was a ride on the Shinkansen, more commonly known in the UK as the bullet train, riding it for the 214-odd miles between Hiroshima to Kyoto, a journey which was due to take around 1 hour 40 minutes involving 4 intermediate stops, the Nozomi 18.

Anyhow before hand, a visit to the Shukkeiem Landscape Garden which is a very peaceful traditional Japanese garden (rebuilt after the 2nd world war) near the city centre, a nice walk around the large pond and looking at other features (including large fish!) before it was time to head back towards the bus.



The drive to the station itself didn’t take long, we said goodbye to the bus driver as he was going to be driving back to Kyoto as the Shinkansen has no luggage space for large bags. Shinkansen, or new major line, run on their own high speed lines, separate from other traffic, so they are pretty much always on time, a bit like C2C and Merseyrail ;), we were travelling on a group ticket so it was to a side gate, held open by a bowing attendant, and it was upstairs to the part of the station I didn’t visit yesterday:




Bang on time, 16 coach N700A Series set X03 rolled in, and we found our seats in coach 14, having done a lottery earlier in the day to draw seats, inside is all 3+2 airline seating, but unlike the 3+2 airline seating found on a 150/1, you had leg room, you had good elbow room, these are wide machines with quite long coaches



Right, my thoughts on the Shinkansen is that you do not feel anything, it was so smooth, little windows which meant I could see what I was passing, but it did not feel like it was going at 185 mph (ok it isn’t the fastest of high speed trains in the world, even the new Eurostars beat it), the only thing I felt was the acceleration, my god these things get up to speed so fast (probably the closest I can say it felt was a 395 on HS1), seats were comfy, can HS2 get these machines please?

It even had a popular on-board trolley service, I bet the RMT wouldn’t like that ;)



Soon enough Kyoto was reached and it was time to say goodbye, but not before one final shot:



And once we had exited the gateline, and being shown where the hotel was we were to meet up for some optional excursions, and where our hotel shuttle bus was due to depart from (the hotel was around a mile from the station, it had a little free minibus which goes backwards and forwards all day long), and it was time to say goodbye as I was on the afternoon trip to Nara, land of the deer. So I grabbed some odds and sods for lunch and headed out of the station where the Shinkansens platforms, and I was amazed that in the 30 or so minutes I spent, there was a train pretty much every couple minutes (looking at a departure board said there was 10 trains that hour to Tokyo, each with various stopping patterns). But it was to the new miyako hotel to be checked in for my afternoon trip to Nara.

A nice hour or so drive to Nara with a brilliant tour guide, very cheerful from Osaka (and previous readers might remember what I said about the accent from Osaka), the first stop was at Todaiki Temple, which holds a big Buddha statue and was very very busy with school children (popular time for school trips be October). After a walk around the other statues it was back via the deer to the bus, and onwards to Kasuga Taisha Shrine, which I can’t remember much about, apart from statues of deer, and the next and final stop was at a gift shop, useful for a toilet break and to sample some cheesecake KitKats.

Bit of a mix around with the 3 coaches as they dropped passengers off at various hotels, so it made sense to keep passengers wanting such and such a hotel to be on the same bus, very sensible, coming back into Kyoto we hit traffic before hitting the freeway and before I knew it, we were being dropped off outside the hotel where we started, an enjoyable afternoon trip, but it was time to hit the rails (again). Now if you look a map of the Kyoto railways system, it has many private lines dotted around, but I had my eye on doing a semi-round trip involving the Kintetsu line, both subway lines and a JR West line back to Kyoto station. So it was to the Kintetsu part of Kyoto station (which I will come onto in more details on day 11, with its colourful stairway, roof garden and walkway in the roof) to buy a ticket. A couple minutes to grab a couple pictures before the next “local” departed, formed of a 9000 series set 31 & a 8600 series set 03 (a 4+2) to the first station at Tōji, a brief wait of 5 minutes before a 8800 series train (set 03) rolled up to take me to Takeda, where the Karasume Line comes out and some trains terminate but some continue onto the Kintetsu Kyoto line. After exiting the station, buying a ticket for the subway and re-entering the station, I took a seat on a Kyoto subway 10 series train, set 06 to Karasume Oike, transferring to the Tozai line for a 50 series (set 03) to Nijo.

Full platform doors, which meant no pictures of the trains themselves, but when I was looking for the way out, the next train heading the other way pulled in and I jumped on as it looked different, it was a through train, a Keihan 800 series set 04 taking it one stop back to Nijōjō-mae with set 01 of the 50 series taking me back to Nijo. Exiting the subway, and to the JR station, and I had a 5 minute wait before the next Kyoto bound service, formed of a 221 series, set 75. Back to one of the bay platforms at Kyoto, I was back where I started, just the other side of the station! Exiting the north side to grab a picture of the tower and a strange ball:



It was time to try and locate the bus stop, and I got a bit lost, following the signs to the subway line, passing the entrance to the subway part, I continued on further than needed and came out on the wrong side of the road (doh!), double backing to the bus stop and I arrived in time for the 20:00 bus, 30 minutes before the last bus of the day, to the hotel to drop some stuff off before heading out in search of food, eventually finding a little convenience store for some convenience store “what is in that” guessing, and ended up with a mix bag of a sandwich, a rice-ball, something else warm and some beloved CC-Lemon, back to the hotel where thankfully we had 2 nights (and for the first time I had a room with twin beds, all the other rooms have been single rooms with single beds, so I had pillows!).

Anyhow some random pictures:
A reserved seat only Limited Express:


Another limited express to Nara:

Rear end of the 8600 series:

Front of an 8800 series:


A pair of 10 series subway trains:

Run it’s a 221!

Some random train departing from Kyoto:


Sadly that was the last of my train bashing for a couple days, although the last day did see a trip from Narita to Tokyo
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
You must have better luck than me, MerseyRail don't like running on time when I'm about! ;)

I do indeed know why you were happy yesterday, but I shall not ruin the surprise for your loyal audience of trip report readers ;)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
It sounds like another nice day. Now moving the the big question: Cheesecake kit cats?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
It sounds like another nice day. Now moving the the big question: Cheesecake kit cats?

Yes cheesecake flavoured Kit Kats (didn't have the nerve to test the Green Tea flavoured ones)

It's Japan, they have strange food ;)

_---------
30th October – SWT Metro clear-up

Due to no electricity at work we were given a free day-off so I decided to make the most of the free day and finish my SWT Metro, as it is easier to do on a weekday/Saturday than a Sunday (mainly the Hounslow loop), also with the current £15 day returns promotion, it gave me a chance to clear those 3 shacks on the Shepperton branch line which are outside the zones for no additional pennies.

To Grateley, to pick up my £15 day return to Upper Halliford, plus a pre-purchased travel-card, although getting caught behind someone who couldn’t understand that a 16-25 railcard has a min fare before 10am and was trying to buy a return to Salisbury, to the 08:59 which is both the first off-peak train of the day from this part of the world to London, and also the 2nd service from the depths of Devon, so is normally busy, today was no different with the train being formed of 159104 & 159004, I was lucky and got a seat as after Andover it was mostly full and after Whitchurch it was standing in the aisles. Rail head conditions were not the greatest as it kept slipping. Basingstoke came and went and the little 6 car unit got fuller still, and when I ditched it at Woking (sadly the +2 with the train from Alton was missed [just to see what 450s were on it]) it departed full and standing leaving passengers on the platform (as a train from Portsmouth was running 10 or so minutes down the 159s slipped in front of a pair of 444s [and people from Woking can’t be seen to board a semi-fast or shock horror the stopper].

The next semi-fast from Basingstoke was formed of a pair of dud 450s so I gave that a miss and headed to the pier for the stopper to take me to Surbiton, only needing 3 SWT 455s at this point (plus 8x456s) meant the odds were against me, and it was duds 455721 & 455739 (at least the 12 and a bit mile run clears both for 10 miles as Keith would say, as they were both bus stop leap 455s). Time for a quick visit to the toilet before the next Hampton Court bound service, which the one from the branch was annoying formed of a 455+456+456 and the middle mini-red devil was required, super-dud 455854 rolled up (only a single unit which seemed a bit strange) to take me to my first new shack of the day in the shape of Thames Ditton, a quite basic shack with a little ticket office & café on the Up platform, with nothing much on the down platform. 15 minutes later 455854 reappeared at a busy platform to take me to New Malden. Duds (for that word will be appearing a few times) 455918 & 455716 rolled up to take me an bus stop leap to Raynes Park before 455859 & 455731 appeared to take me onto the Kingston loop to Kingston (where they are timetabled to sit for 5 minutes, so the 3 minute delay had been wiped out).

Doubling back on myself on 455869 & 455712 to Norbiton with a rapid connection (not the easiest to make, but nice Network South-east colours in the subway) to the next Shepperton bound service, formed of duds 455858 & 455909, taking me just over 8 miles outside of London to Upper Halliford, and what a dump this station is (sorry for any readers who live in that area), basic platforms with a road bridge going over the top, with the M3 running alongside one side (so not the best place to go for some peace and quiet), plus with a group of 5 ABSO-wannabes kids smoking on one end of the platform. Thankfully it wasn’t long before 455909 & 455858 had returned to take me back into the safety of the London zones, at Hampton.

A slight double back now, as I jumped onto 455716 & 455918 for the 2nd time of the day to take me to sunny Sunbury, and as a Kite trip isn’t complete without at least one walk between stations (or bike ride), I decided to walk the 0.6 or so of a mile to Kempton Park, which appeared to be used for a park & ride site for the rugby. Anyhow, 13 or so minutes later I had arrived at the station and 5 minutes afterwards 455918 & 455716 reappeared (as if by magic!) to take me to Hampton Wick. The connection is best made at Teddington, as the services are timetabled to pass here, so it would be 30 minutes until the next “Waterloo via Twickenham” service, so I decided to head to the bus stop. Double decker Bus number SP118 working a route 281 service took me towards the Strawberry Hill area and I had a fast walk to my final shack on the loop to Strawberry Hill, another station where trains are timetabled to pass which appeared to be a level crossing station.

455709 & 455903 rolled in to take me around the curve to Twickenham, where a quick transfer from P3 to P5 saw me onto duds 458535 & 458505 to take me onto the Hounslow loop, where I decided to bail at Syon Lane, over the bridge and to the other side rewarded me with super dud 450033 for the 56 chain leap back to Isleworth. Another dud 450 followed, this time 450111 for the 3 and a half mile leap to Chiswick, with a pair of 450s in the shape of 450554 & 450004 back to Kew Bridge. 15 minutes or so to break here, so I went for a walk and discovered a Sainsburys local, so I grabbed a late lunch, and headed back to the station to wait as duds 450103 & 450018 rolled in to take me to my final SWT metro shack in the shape of Brentford.

This is a passing point, so I had a 15 minute to spare, and with changing my plan earlier I was 15 minutes ahead of schedule, so I decided to stand at the footbridge at Brentford, to see if anything required would tip up. The next direct Waterloo service was a dud 458/5 so I headed down to jump on 458525 for the short hop to Isleworth before dud 458504 took me to Clapham Junction. A brief walk over to the Southern side and I was heading downstairs as I saw a required 377/6 rolling in, making sure it wasn’t one of those services which runs fast to Sutton (mainly the Horsham services I believe, and I have been caught out before), and found it went via West Croydon so I jumped onto my first winning unit of the day, 377601 for the tiny leap to Wandsworth Common, to find out that I had somehow got a rare double winner with 377605 on the rear. Next up was dud 455843 to Balham before the next service towards Crystal Palace.

Duds 377608 & 377607 rolled in to take me to Gipsy Hill, where a quick turnaround saw me onto the other platform and rewarded with dud 377618 leading winner 377615, only 617 & 625 to go to clear the /6 subclass, back to West Norwood, where another fast turnaround saw me onto a pair of dud 455s, 455839 & 455808 to my final Southern metro shack, Birkbeck. Going out of the station, under the road and onto the tramlink platform, found myself with a 8 minute wait before the next Beckenham Junction bound tram, my first Croydon Tramlink service since August last year, and formed of winner 2536 to take me the short leap to Bechenham Junction. Sadly I had just missed an Orpington train (a couple minutes earlier and I would have got it), so had 13 minutes to wait before winner 465186 rolled up with dud 465043 on the rear to take me to Petts Wood.

This is where my plan fell apart, the next service from Sevenoaks towards Charing Cross was due in at Grove Park a good 7 minutes before the next Bromley North shuttle was due to depart (to grab the slightly annoying Sundridge Park on the Bromley North line), however it kept getting later and later due to poor rail condition, and so I changed my plan as dud 465035 rolled in with winner 465158 in the middle and dud 466014 on the rear (which is better as when I saw 10 coaches, I was thinking it would be my least favourite electrostars, I took it for a single hop to Chislehurst and fired up RTT which gave me a couple choices, so it was onto winner 466025 leading duds 465043 & 465186 to Grove Park, where the island platform came in handy as dud 465163 rolled in with winner 465908 to take me to Elmstead Woods.

Dud 465185 and winner 465162 (anybody seeing a pattern forming here?) took me to the triangle station at Hither Green, where I crossed over to the other London bound platform, where a pair of 465s were waiting to depart as ECS, with the next pair rolling in, next stop Waterloo East, and the pattern continues with dud 465245 leading winner 465025. I had a couple options at Waterloo East for a 61 chain leap to Charing Cross, first up was a pair of dud 375s from Hastings on platform D, next up was a pair of 465s on platform B where I was standing, and it was winner 465193 leading dud 465161 to Charing Cross. Walking to Embankment station (no idea why I decided to walk to embankment rather than walking downtstairs) and onto a very busy northern line sets 724/658 to Mornington Crescent for a forum meal. After the meal it was back to Waterloo on sets 619 & 620, with 159105 & 159108 taking me home (nothing around Waterloo which I could have used for a linear bash to Clapham).

I couldn’t help noticing how many trains were heading south towards Sevenoaks and beyond, a lot of 465/9s and 375s, and a job for a Kent Rover to stalk Sevenoaks/Tonbridge. But I need to get back to that area to try and grab those two shacks south of Orpington within the zones, but as I need a lot of the South Eastern metro, that will be a job for some Saturdays in the new year.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always an excellent read.

If I'd followed you on all those SWT moves I would have scored quite a few shacks and EMUs, oh and I've had those 377/6s you need ;)

Even on SET I would have undoubtably scored quite a bit, not the shacks though.

I've definitely got Moves Envy now though! I can't wait to head to London again, the sooner the better!
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
To Nogi, which was my only Japanese station which didn’t have ticket gates or a man waiting to collect tickets, which allowed me to keep the outward part of my return ticket (costs the same as 2 singles), a bit confusing as I went to the wrong platform, but the line must be bi-directional as the 2-car EMU arrived on the same platform as the DMU departed.

Yes, that line is indeed bi-directional. Most stations in Japan are like that as it gives them more flexibility.

Out of curiosity, out of all of your trips on the Japanese railways, were you ever more then 30 seconds late? Its my understanding they still give out Apology Letters to give to your bosses if they have caused you to be late. Of course, that might raise a few eyebrows at your work if you hand that in...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
No big delays if I can recall, not like I was checking.

I've scored a bonus tonight, in a double bunk on le sleeper with nobody else :)
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
I'm impressed.

Excellent use of the 1893 Pitt-Wyeth amendment (abrogating diagonal movement on occasions of pre-arranged gustatorial indulgence) enabling the direct move from Embankment to Mornington Crescent. Obviously the walk from Charing Cross to the former was designed to enable this amendment (via ta cunning use of the Cholmondeley-Harrison fresh air protocols of 1921). :) :)

By your reference to avoiding a berth share on the sleeper, I presume you're heading to the unfrozen North...
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Another awesome read about Japan kite, Them bullet train looked immense and coaches more akin to the inside of a plane.
Cheesecake KitKats!!!!!! Now your talking my language, I want one now.:lol:
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Another very fun read!
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
Great reads.

I'm with Tech on Merseyrail... never had an 'on time' day with them!

Well done with the SWT metro shacks. I'm panning to clear out my remaining zones 1-6 SWT shacks on 19th November!
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
Good times in Japan and on the 3rd rail network. Talk about extremes! :P Always like reading about other people's adventures onto my local lines (or otherwise familiar to me) :).


As always an excellent read.

If I'd followed you on all those SWT moves I would have scored quite a few shacks and EMUs, oh and I've had those 377/6s you need ;)

Even on SET I would have undoubtably scored quite a bit, not the shacks though.

I've definitely got Moves Envy now though! I can't wait to head to London again, the sooner the better!
Definitely. :lol: Just need to make sure you don't get tempted by LUL or 313s now <D
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Agreed, I have a feeling I'll get distracted again, but once I find that 313 then I might actually head to foreign territory (SWT) :lol:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
I'm impressed.

Excellent use of the 1893 Pitt-Wyeth amendment (abrogating diagonal movement on occasions of pre-arranged gustatorial indulgence) enabling the direct move from Embankment to Mornington Crescent. Obviously the walk from Charing Cross to the former was designed to enable this amendment (via ta cunning use of the Cholmondeley-Harrison fresh air protocols of 1921). :) :)

By your reference to avoiding a berth share on the sleeper, I presume you're heading to the unfrozen North...

Indeed I went to Glasgow...

...on a weekend the lines via Central & Queen Street Low Levels were closed (yep, poor planning on my part)

Now sitting on 390153 just about to depart Central to add Motherwell as a "virgin call"

----

All the 313 talk reminds me that I need to try and track down 313202
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
31st October – A Lancashire Day Rover

A nice little day was planned in Lancashire, only because I managed to get booked onto the 07:30 Glasgow fast from Euston, although it was to Wigan was I was in three minds what to do, either a Lancashire day clearing some shacks, maybe a GM rover as Wigan is on the edge, or maybe even another Merseyrail day (paying for a Wigan – St Helens day return), in the end I decided on doing Lancashire, with the aim of clearing a few annoying shacks to tidy up.

After a nice drive to the station, I arrived early and decided to have a play with the TVM, mainly to see if Oxford Parkway had been loaded on, it hadn’t, but strangely the not-yet-open Cranbrook was added and was available to buy a day return to (I wonder what would have happened if I had purchased that ticket) anyhow 159015 was the unit in charge for the early morning blast to Waterloo, lost a couple minutes before Basingstoke, but arrived into Waterloo pretty much bang on time. No time to do any diversions this morning so it was down to the Northern Line platforms, and with sets 524 & 523 taking me to Euston, where I exited to grab some breakfast from Sainsburys.

There was a signal issue at the depot so units were late arriving, I was standing around P3 and dud 390005 rolled into the platform at around 7:23, a very fast boarding and we departed at 7:32, 2 minutes late, but soon made up with a nice non-stop run to Warrington Bank Quay. I was in my favourite seat (C1) and had time to relax, after Wigan I shifted to the empty C2 (‘reserved’ since Euston, for the gamble that the person who had it reserved was on for longer, but my views on the 390 reservation displays compared to the displays on XC which say that the seat is reserved from station X to station Z, so if you board at station Y you knew if the seat was empty than it would be available until Z).

Into Preston arriving on time, so it was time to think as I jumped onto the Manchester Victoria bound service from Blackpool North, formed this morning of duds 150150 & 150203 taking it to my first new shack of the day at Chorley, the PIS on the other platform said the next train was running late, but was in fact on time to the revised timetable in place, and formed of duds 150201 & 156423, so I took a seat in the 156 for the run to Layton, and I had forgotten how boring the line to Blackpool North is.

Layton had a 30 minute fester whichever way you did it, so I did a quite search on google maps which suggested a nearby Tesco Express, so I purchased an early lunch and a newspaper before heading back to the station as 156423 & 150201 returned from Blackpool North to take me back through Preston, I was hoping to bail at Adlington, which had a 3 minute connection, sadly we lost time and after departing Buckshaw Parkway 4 down I decided to ditch the plan shack attack at Adlington, and bail once more at Chorley. Good thing as well, as winner 150273 rolled in with dud 150138 behind (was expecting 203 & 150 to reappear) to take me back to Preston, where I took the long walk to platform 3C to board winning dog-box 153331 which was heading to Ormskirk, as I set about clearing the shack which escaped me back in July after the train from Ormskirk got cancelled (which involved a fast bike ride), Croston

Nice little single track station in a little town, with a little Co-Op, but I had 40 minutes to kill before the 153 would return, so after a look around sat down in the waiting shelter to read some more of my book. 153331 reappeared (as if by magic, who would have guessed it would be the same unit?!) to take me back to Preston, where I transferred over to a Colne bound train, the idea on my original plan was to take it most of the way to Burnley Central, wait for the same units back, but I decided to change my mind. Dud 142068 rolled in with winning 150222 locked out of use on the rear (due to short platforms, only front 2 east of Preston) to take me to Church & Oswaldtwistle. 10 minutes or so later, dud 150147 rolled in with winner 142054 on the rear, so I took it to the request shack at Pleasington, a very basic shack.

Over the bridge to the other platform, to flag down a single pacer, dud 142057 to take me the 1 and ¾s to the island platform at Mill Hill, as I decided to head for a little walk along the canal to get Cherry Tree into the book as well. Very basic station, and with 150222 & 142068 making it’s reappearance, arriving 5 minutes late got me in a bit of a panic, as I only had a +4 at the next station, but thankfully the Blackpool South services is timetabled to sit at Lostock Hall for 4 minutes and to sit at Preston for 10 minutes, so it departed on time and I let out a big sigh of relief as a few minutes later it pulled into a particular station which only sees a limited handful of services a day, Salwick, which is in the middle of nowhere, but has a nice island platform which is always a bonus as 4 minutes later 142054 & 150147 came bouncing back in.

My original plan was to continue to Rishton, but when I was looking at the timetable I noticed the next Blackpool North – York service turns into a stopper between Preston & Blackburn, so gave me an idea as I bailed at Bamber Bridge, walking to the end of the platform to await the level crossing barriers to go up before they were lowered again, thankfully the Blackpool South service was running late (as they been doing most of the day due to poor railhead conditions) so I made it over with a 5 minute wait before 142057 came bouncing back in to take me 1 stop west to Lostock Hall, to clear the local shacks between Preston & Blackburn. Over the bridge and to the other platform with a 10 minute wait before winner 158756 rolled in, bound for York, but I alighted at Blackburn, my plan was to head south (although when a required 153 came rolling in attached to a 150 heading north, I was thinking of a run to Clitheroe (I did the line on a 70-hauled tour last year), but decided against it. A bit of a shame as duds 156461 & 150112 came rolling in towards Manchester Victoria where I bailed at Bromley Cross, was thinking of trying to grab the request stop at Entwistle but I didn’t have my usual high-viz jacket to request the Blackburn bound service to stop.

Anyhow, crossing over the barrow crossing at Bromley Cross to the other platform to await the next service, which turned out to be duds 150203 & 150150 for the near 11 mile trip to Blackburn, arrival was a few minutes early so I jumped onto an unknown 158 heading towards Leeds, sadly it was new super-dud 158753 which I found out when I bailed at Accrington for a 10 minute, sorry 11 minute, no 10 minute, sorry 11 minute (as the PIS couldn’t decide if the next Blackpool North train was on time or running 1 minute late), super-dud 158755 rolled in 2 minutes late for the nice 158 thrash back to Preston, so nice to speed through those local shacks without stopping. To Preston, where the next service south was going to be my booked Euston bound service, so no linear bashing for me tonight.

Winning 390123 rolled in, so I took my reserved seat slightly early (as it was empty and “reserved from Wigan North Western”), although the person sat opposite decided he would quite fancy hogging the entire table with his oversized bag, until he suddenly noticed that after Warrington that yes someone was sat opposite him. Nice enough run down the WCML via the Trent Valley, until Milton Le Keynes where the usual Saturday night crawl started, as we were caught behind a late running stopper (which was held up due to late running Virgin services which go in front of it), was fine until the Leighton Buzzard area where the crawl began. Arrival into Euston was around 5 minutes down as we regained speed after Watford. Across to Euston Square where S8 stock 29 & 30 took me to Finchley Road, and 61 & 62 took me back to Baker Street, and Jubilee set 125 & 88 taking me back to Waterloo, all were required LU units.

There was time to grab a quick McDonalds before heading to the concourse to sit on 159011 forming the 23:40 to Salisbury, thankfully no bus tonight, however I think the fast tracks were out of action as it was a crawl behind a stopper, really quite painful to accelerate only to slow back down again, and after Basingstoke the rail head conditions were not the best and it took the driver a couple attempts to pull away on the hill at Grateley. Back home where I headed straight to bed after doing a brief de-bag of stuff, a busy and successful day, and probably my last 05:24 out, 00:58 return day for a fair while (my AP box is getting emptier by the week)
I wonder what would have happened if I purchased this ticket:


The basic station known as Salwick:



1st November – A Cat to the Island

To the Isle of Wight, to try and clear the shacks and also getting my first required 483 into the book for the year, and it was a bit of a later start than normal to catch the first service to Portsmouth Harbour from Romsey, formed this morning of 158950 for the near 34 mile run to the end of the line at Portsmouth Harbour. I had 30 minutes or so to play with before the next sailing to Ryde Pier Head (as it is only hourly on Sundays), and my god the area outside Portsmouth Harbour station has all changed.

Gone was the old “The Hard” interchange building, instead was a building site as they are rebuilding the interchange between boat/train/bus/coach to be fit for the 21st century, so via the Co-Op to grab lunch before heading back to the harbour, passing into the Wightlink terminal for the catamaran service, and it was dud cat Wight Ryder II for the 20 or so minute crossing to Ryde Pier Head, sadly with the fog meant that the upstairs ‘sun’ deck was closed off so it was the main passenger cabin.

Onto the island that time forgot and to the railway station at the end of the pier, as dud 483007 came rolling in, the former 1938 tube stock looking very red and tired looking, with the guard leaping between the two carriages to check & sell tickets, sadly I had misread the steam timetable as I through it was running today (but it turned out it wasn’t running) so we went sailing through Smallbrook Junction and stopping at my first new shack of the day at the former two platforms of Brading. Not really a lot to do, everything appeared to be closed for the duration, so 20 minutes later winner 483004 rolled up to bounce (the ride on the class 483s is complete and utter rubbish, bounces more than a 142) to Lake.

A fast walk was in order and the walk between Lake & Sandown might look easy, but it isn’t as it crosses some open grassland, and with the ground being wet meant I couldn’t do my usual walking speed, but with 2 minutes to spare I made it to Sandown, and back onto fresh dud 483004 back up the line to Ryde St Johns Road, where the depot is located. I spotted 483006 & 483009 sitting out in the Ryde sunshine, with the remains of 483002 rotting away on a siding with no sight of 008, must have been in the shed. Anyhow, I decided to walk back to the pier as a gang of local ‘ouths had gathered at the station drinking cans of that cheap cider.

25 or so minutes of leisurely walking later I reached the start of the pier and 5 minutes after that I reached the end of the 200 year old 600+ metre long pier to the area where to board the cat back to the main-land, and after an uneventful journey I alighted and walking up the ramp to hear the sound of the GWR 158 pulling away (although I had planned not to catch that one). I jumped on the next departure, dud 377113 for the 66 chain leap to Portsmouth & Southsea, where I headed into the city centre for some ideas for Christmas gifts, sadly the HMV in the city centre had closed (only one left was at Gunwharf Quays at the harbour), so that idea was killed, so back to the station to see if any of my required 450s were show up on the stopper (the line north of Petersfield was closed so Portsmouth Harbour – Peterfield shuttles were running, formed of single 444s, with another 444 on a Waterloo via Winchester service), but it was a dud 450/5, the next southern departure to Fratton was dud 377465 with dud 377408 spotted heading back into Portsmouth.

158961 rolled in, and I grabbed a seat on this busy after Southampton service, for the nice roll back to Romsey, and a nice drive home (via the petrol station for some fuel). A pleasant enough day on the island, where I’m due to head back in the new year on the next UK railtours Ticket to Ryde tour, to try and grab Smallbrook Junction, my last 2 483s (008 & 009), plus the track coverage of the steam line (and seemingly random siding mentioned on the website).

Brading:


483004 at Lake:


The Pier Head:


------------------
4th November – A trip to Surrey

I had 3 SWT shacks remaining (as I’m counting Smallbrook Junction as an Island Line branded shack), Farnham, Ash & Wanborough, all doable on a weekday evening which involved a bit of a tight connection at Woking (normally the trains to Alton give a +8 (or so) from a service from Grateley, but as the service which forms the 17:51 from Woking runs fast to Woking from Waterloo, the +8 is reduced to a +2, but with the advantage of being a cross platform interchange (from P2 to P4).

Or so I had hoped.

The 16:59 from Grateley was on time, and formed of 159010 & 159008 for the 48 mile and 22 chain journey to Woking, pretty much keeping to time until the outskirts of Woking where all of a sudden we crossed over from the fast up to the slow up, so instead of rolling into P2, we rolled into P1. I was swearing a bit under my breath as we rolled in 2 down, as I attempted to dash over the footbridge against the flow of passengers to jump onto the Alton service which thankfully was a couple minutes late itself, formed of low mileage duds 450018 & 450007, I managed to get a seat on this busy service, where it sat on P4 for 5 minutes before departing. No reason was given for the delay, as it rolled into Ash Vale & Aldershot dropping off passengers and reaching Farnham.

Normally Farnham is the crossing point of services, but due to this one running earlier than normal, it uses the rare (I think) P2 loop at Bentley, however with it departing 7 minutes late, meant the next Waterloo service was held at Bentley for the pair of 450s to clear the single track of this little rural outer-suburban branch line (wink wink). A surprise in the shape of 444005 rolled in 5 minutes late (which seems to follow me around), and to Aldershot where my connection to the next Guildford train was held only by the signaller putting the Waterloo train in front, thank goodness as I dashed like a bat out of a tunnel to the island platform to jump onto an unknown pair of 456s, eventually setting off and coming to a stop at the Aldershot South junction to allow a late running GWR to clear the junction on route to Reading.

Anyhow this meant we rolled into Wanborough 8 or so minutes late, as I alighted from the pair of units before grabbing the numbers, duds 456007 & 456008. Nothing much around Wanborough to shout about, but before long 456008 & 456007 had returned, running 4 or so minutes late, to take me to Ash, my final SWT shack. I was happy, it was finally done, but I wasn’t finished for the day, oh no, not just yet as I boarded super-dud 166213 for the 2 mile trip to North Camp and used the walking interchange to walk back to Ash Vale (taking me just over 7 minutes including waiting for the barriers at North Camp to raise). Winner 456022 rolled in with dud 456024 on the rear to take me back to Aldershot, where I noted the pair of 456s next up to Ascot were dud, so I gave them a miss in exchange for the next London bound service. Formed of duds 450040, 450123 & 450547 back to Brookwood, the next service from Basingstoke was a pair of duds, so over to the other platform.

Low mileage dud 450117 (harsh as I need 116 & 118) and high mileage dud 450555 took me one stop west to Farnborough (Main) which is getting work done to it, where I waited for the Portsmouth via Winchester service, although I was expecting a single 444, but was surprised when it was a single 450, mid-mileage dud 450015 for the 14 and a half mile trip back to Basingstoke, which was a busy service. 159001 & 159006 were the units to take me back to Grateley, forming the 20:20 departure from Waterloo, which meant 159001 was cleared for 1000 miles (member number 8, with 159008 so nearly becoming member 9 being on 999 miles and 69 chains).

I’ve got some pictures, but I haven’t uploaded them yet
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
As always some excellent reads.

Jealous you've got all SWT shacks done, but then I only need the two intermediate ones on the steam railway on the Isle of Wight ;)

With 483002 gone, I now only need 008 to clear the 483s. I doubt I'll ever get over there for it though.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A few fab reads and it sounds like a few successful days! Congrats on the SWT shacks!
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
Agreed, I have a feeling I'll get distracted again, but once I find that 313 then I might actually head to foreign territory (SWT) :lol:
Maybe it doesn't want you to get it until you go for a break in "foreign territory" first :lol:.


(the ride on the class 483s is complete and utter rubbish, bounces more than a 142)
Wonder what they are like compared to a 72ts or 73ts, which I find ride so poorly compared to a 92ts or newer. Sadly direct comparisons are impossible (well, for the next few years anyway, missed the last chance a few years ago with a 67ts and 09ts).
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,755
Location
Up North
Excellent reads there.

You've got me itching to get down to SWT land now, I require basically every shack outside the zones except Woking :lol:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Maybe it doesn't want you to get it until you go for a break in "foreign territory" first :lol:.

To be fair, my priorities in London are currently:

313035
315s with both LOROL and TfL Rail
317s with all TOCs
321s with all TOCs
Clearing Southern shacks in the zones
Clearing SET shacks in the zones
Finishing the clearout of shacks across the board on the Tube
455 bashing with Southern
378 hunting
Croydon Tramlink tram bashing and shack scoring

Then SWT comes in :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite
A few productive days reported on there.

I was at Euston to see 390005 roll in on the 31st - that's the only nine-car Pendolino that I still need for 10 miles - so imagine my curses as I was booked out on the 07:43 which as my report said, never got away close to time.

Well envious of you clearing all SWT shacks. At least I am over half way now with 69 left and only six on the metro.

Must do the Island line again sometime - the last time I rode on the 1938ts was when it was in service on the Northern Line.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
It just occurred to me: you have cleared the SWT shacks but you won't in a few days (weeks?) when Cranbrook comes out!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,844
Location
West of Andover
New station which is delayed

6th November – A slight change of scene

I was booked onto the Glasgow sleeper which departs Euston at 23:50, which meant I had an evening to play around with in London, after considering various options (linear bashing the southern end of the WCML, linear bashing the Southend Victoria line, SET shacks, SWT/Southern/Thameslink unit hunting) I decided to visit Liverpool Street in an attempt to finish my London Overground units, which was 1 315 and 6 317s, with maybe shifting over to try and see if any of my remaining 5 315s on TfL Rail would pop up.

To Waterloo, the usual 14:59 formed this afternoon of 159019 with a rather heavy bag for a weekend away, and it was to Waterloo, getting caught up in some mild delays after Woking, and it was via the peak-time subway to the Waterloo & City line platform with the former 482505 & 482506 units (so 505 & 506 of the 92 W&C stock, taking me the 1 mile and 38 chain leap to Bank, where I noted the notices that the subway linking the W&C platforms to the rest of the station were to close for works in the near future, so something to bear in mind. To the central line where the Central line service took me to Liverpool Street, formed of dud unit 021, leading winning units 022, 100 & 223. RTT time to see what was floating around the West Anglian side of the station.

Good news is that all the Overground stock was doubled up, however it did mean walks down the platform to try and grab the number of the front unit, in which cases 5 carriages down, first two sets noted were duds, but I noted the next Stansted Express service had one of my last 6 required 379s on the rear, so I decided to jump onto dud (and most used 379 as I had it all the way to Stansted) 379003 & winner 379029 for the 6 mile 10 minute journey to Tottenham Hale, where I transferred to the other platform. First southbound service was formed of winner 317512 with dud 317881 on the rear, so it was a trip to Hackney Downs, to do the “Hackney dance” (as the LO units arrive within a few minutes of each other so you have to be on your toes to try and grab anything), so to platform 4 for the first service towards Seven Sisters.

I was in luck, winners 317729 & 317719 rolled in, happy days as I jumped on board to check RTT for connections and saw a possible +2 (due to delays) at the first stop, so I bailed at Rectory Road and across to the other platform in time to see winner 317708 rolling in with dud 317892 behind it, so back the 66 chains to Hackney Downs, and across to P4 for the next service. It was another pair of 317s, and leading was dud 317891 with required 317888 behind, my evening was going well, as I noted 315808 disappearing up towards Chingford, my last orange 315.

This time RTT suggested the first available service southbound would be possible at Seven Sisters, so it was to Seven Sisters and a brief hop over to the other platform to allow a pair of dud 315s to go first as a peak-time “semi-fast” from Cheshunt was behind, and it was a good call was dud 317710 rolled in with my last LO 317/7, 317723 behind, only 317889 left to grab of the LO 317s, with 15 minutes to go before 315808 was due to come back from the wonders of Chingford, I headed out of the station to visit the little Tesco to grab food, the gateline staff had no clue when I tried to re-enter 8 or so minutes later where Sudbury & Harrow Road was and my ticket wasn’t valid there as it was an off-peak (they allowed me through after I mentioned there was no evening peak restrictions inside the London Zones), to P1 where before the 315s were due was a AGA service, and as it was double winners 317882 & 317670 I decided to jump on for the ride back to Liverpool Street.

A few minutes later the pair of 315s rolled in, and as expected, dud, 315805 was at the front with winner 315808 on the rear, so climbing onto 808 for the short ride back up to Hackney Downs to begin a deck chairing session to see if 317889 would show up. 45 minutes later I saw most of the diagrams which were out working in the evening, and sadly 889 didn’t appear (slight chance it could have been hiding down Romford if the former LM 321 was broken) so it was back to Bethnal Green on 317709 & 317887, to have a look at what was floating around on the GEML side, nothing of interest before fresh dud 315808 rolled back in with 315805, back to Liverpool Street. It was time to shift over to the Shenfield metro and GEML side of the station, and there was nothing required departing inside the next 20 minutes, pairs of 360s were dud, pairs of 321s were dud and the 315s were dud. However a pair of 321s came rolling in which were to form the next Southend service, with another pair forming the next Braintree service (which calls at Romford), and both had required 321s on, so it was to Stratford on dud 321329 leading winner 321331, before changing over to winner 321326 leading dud 321352 for the nice fast run to Romford.

Quickly changing platforms as another fast AGA service was dud, and it was winner 321425, so back to Stratford, where I didn’t hang around for long as the next service had winner 321301 on the front, with dud 321362 on the rear. Still none of my 5 required 315s were spotted, which is a bit of a shame as I headed over to winners 321342 & 321353 (a rare double winning 321) to Stratford, where I spotted a required 317 sitting on P11 ready to form the next service towards Tottenham Hale, and it was a double winner, 317653 & 317885, so it would be rude to turn them down, so it was to Tottenham Hale. I worked out I had 5 options to getting back, and the first 4 were all duds, so I didn’t have high hopes for the 5th and final option, but someone must have been smiling at me as winner 379030 rolled in with winner 379008, blimey a double winning Stansted Express service, happy days, only 3 left to go to clear the class (009, 010 & 016).

As time was ticking, services were starting to run down (Shenfield had dropped to 4 trains per hour), but the next service towards Stratford was winning 321305 & dud 321433, so it was back to Stratford, where I changed over to the central line, with a service formed of winners 081, 001, 454 & 213 to Bank, and winning Northern line service formed of 604 & 603 taking me to Euston. To P1, passing the world’s most stupid gate-line, and to the sleeper. Leading was winner 90024 (when I booked this trip I did hope to try and get my first 92 into the book, but sadly as the 92s are still unreliable, the 90s are back, and 90024 appeared to be one of the former First Scot Rail coloured examples. To my cabin, where I got told I was on my own (always a bonus) for the evening, and I managed to get some sleep, waking up around Carstairs (although took a while for the cabin to cool down a bit as it was a tad warm).

Needless to say, to be continued :)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top