My original plan for day 1 of my super FoSS was to do various shacks in the FGW area, before clearing the annoying Ashchurch for Tewkesbury, and also the shacks between Gloucester to Severn Tunnel Junction.
Instead I've swapped my rough plan for the 11th to tomorrow, so a couple shacks down the Heart of Wessex, a couple towards Western-Super-Mere before connecting up with the Pilning before heading to the Severn Beach line.
It looks like one service sits at Clifton Down for around 15 minutes (arrives 19:15, departs 19:29), so I might attempt to beat the train and ride the mile or so to Redland.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
First a couple pictures from a little linear bash from Southampton to Winchester on Friday to clear a couple shacks
159007 on a peak time service from Winchester to Southampton at Swaythling:
159101 running away from Shawford:
4th July Super FoSS Day 1
Having paid out the sum of £70.50 to FGW online in exchange for a 8 in 15 Freedom of the Severn & Solent rover, I had many plans to try and cover many shacks within my local area. I made up a rough plan which got changed on the Friday evening due to the FGW strike action (decided to swap the first Saturday with the 2nd Saturday which was more FGW heavy). Little folding bicycle at the ready and come 5:25 on Saturday morning I was out the door for a little drive to Salisbury station.
I arrived after an uneventful drive, paying £2 at the TVM for a car-park ticket and went towards the island platform (2/3). 158887 was sitting locked up on P3 which was going to be the FGW hire-in unit of the day, sitting down to wait before dud 150108 (previously had a couple weeks ago on a Dawlish Teignmouth leap) rolled in. Attachment complete and I went onto the 150 (as the 158 was locked out of service), taking a seat in a bay of 5, only passenger on departure from Salisbury to Westbury.
Arrived at Westbury, and the units detached and 150108 started a new service towards Gloucester, and I had a 15 minute or so fester before the first Weymouth bound service rolled in. Watching movements and I spotted one of my last 2 FGW 153s rolling in and getting detached from a Portsmouth bound service, the Weymouth was expected to be formed of 1 carriage so I was a bit hopeful, expecting a platform alternation from P2 to P1 where the 153 was sitting, but nope dud 153372 rolled in.
Taking a table seat for the quiet service for a ride for my first shack of the day at
Castle Cary, looking a lot different this week compared to the previous Saturday. The 153 continued down towards Weymouth and I went over the bridge, to take a sit and relax waiting for one of the few HSTs which call at Castle Cary to arrive. Winner
43190 rolled in with
43154 on the rear to take me back to Westbury, a nice pain-free ride in a mostly empty coach, arriving a couple minutes early which is always a bonus.
My next required movement was a Transwilts service to Swindon, so I had the option of a quick unit tick as there was a Cardiff bound service first and then a service from Weymouth, which I could have taken for the short distance to Trowbridge to jump onto the Swindon service. First was a dud 158/9, and the service from Weymouth was also a dud (150/2 I recall), so I stayed on the platform, waiting for 158887 to roll in from the siding, where I made a bee-line towards the first class section for a quick phone charge. I must say the luggage rack in a SWT 158 FC section is laughable, as in so narrow it is rather useless to put bags. Anyhow a few minutes passed and the guard called out that for the next station it was local door only due to a short platform, and I alighted at my 2nd new shack of the day at
Melksham
30-odd minutes to kill before a service towards Westbury was due, so I unfolded the bike and went for a quick spin down to the town centre to pick up a newspaper and a nice cold drink (as it was quite warm, even at 8:30 in the morning), good thing with a fold-up bike is that I can fold it up at the entrance to a shop and carry it in. Back to the station where it was quite busy (30 or so passengers), and winner
153380 rolled in, (the 153 I spotted at Westbury earlier) which took me to Trowbridge. The guard had his work cut out selling tickets to the passengers who boarded at Melksham as it sounded most of them were heading to Weymouth. I bailed at Trowbridge for a same platform change for the next Weymouth service.
Leading was
158959 now reduced to only 2 carriages (didnt get the chance to grab the coach numbers to see what it is made up these days) with outright winner
150238 on the back. Taking a seat next to the large accessible toilet, and the door alarms are quite loud, sadly the PIS was a bit rubbish only coming up with delays likely due to poor track conditions in the Thatcham area, but overall was nice, but very busy, standing room only after Westbury. It was getting a bit delayed (due to the extended dwell timings due to the crowding) which meant my 7 minute connection at Bruton was looking a bit on the shaky side. The service arrived at
Bruton, I guessed the location of the footbridge correctly and had 2 minutes to get across to the other platform before 153372 returned from Weymouth and it has gained dud 150202 (another low-miles 150, last had on a Filton Bristol Parkway hop), for a nice run to
Frome, on the Frome loop.
10 minutes later, the Weymouth Wizard arrived (Summer Saturday HST special), formed of winner
43010 with dud 43165 on the back, it was standard class only with the first class coaches being declassified, so thinking it would be a good time to sample out the lush refurbished first class area on a FGW HST, and the leather seats are lovely and soft (seemed to be formed of a 1st class coach, a new composite coach and a buffet/1st class coach, with a bit of regular standard class seating randomly in the middle). Anyhow I alighted at
Yeovil Pen Mill for my first shack on the mainly single track section between Dorchester West & Castle Cary. Compared to the previous service which was full and standing this service was empty.
Originally I had a 30 minute break at Yeovil Pen Mill, unfolded the bike and I went in search of the town centre, and the signs simply vanished into thin air, so I went back to the station for a break, the platform was getting quite busy and the next train was running 15 minutes late, so a bit longer at Yeovil than I would have liked, but hey-ho. Originally I was going to ditch at Thornford and ride down the mile and half to Yetminster, but decided not to. Anyhow dud 150108 had returned from Gloucester and again it had gained a friend, in the shape of dud 150101 (I believe my remaining FGW 150/1s are Exeter based so the chance of winning 150/1s today was low), which I took to the request stop at
Chetnole
30 seconds later I had finished exploring what Chetnole had to offer, which was pretty much a little waiting shelter, off a little lane with nothing really around, a shack in the middle of Dorset fields. However it being a request stop meant I couldnt go anywhere as the next service would be due in around 20 minutes, and it was the return of 150238 & 158959 to take me back towards Bath. The Local door only on 150238 wasnt working so it was in via the staff access door, and taking a seat, looking at my connection for Bristol, which would be tight for a Taunton bound service.
Very tight, 2 minutes to get from one platform to another at Temple Meads, and onto a busy winning
150261 which pulled out of the station on time, only to be held at a red signal at Bedminster station (where it wasnt calling) to allow a late running XC HST to rush pass, the guard handed out bottles of water as it was quite warm, before setting off down the line, where my connection at
Yatton would again be tight. Hoping over the bridge and I made it with time to spare as duds 150249 & 150216 rolled in to take me back towards Bristol where I alighted at
Nailsea & Backwell. I was getting a bit hungry so went in search of food, and found nothing. The station itself is on a high embankment so had steep stairs to the platforms, with a large car-park (Im assuming some sort of Park & Ride system operates). The next Western Super Mere service was due, so the potential of a quick hop back down to Yatton to connect with a certain service, however both units were duds, so I decided to stay where I was to relax.
The 14:07 from Taunton to Cardiff Central was formed of dud 150106 with winning (and final FGW 153)
153370 on the back (cue a big smile on my face as I boarded). It sits at Bristol Temple Meads P3 for 10 minutes which gave me a chance to quickly bail and dash to the little WH Smiths for a bit of lunch before rejoining the service, this time sitting in the 150 for a little ride towards Wales to call at the 8th least used station in the UK (going by the estimates of station usage on the ORR website), at
Pilning. Needless to say I was the only passenger alighting from the train today, having a brief conversation with the guard that it was a good day for a bike ride. Only other person on the platform was someone taking pictures, bike unfolded, maps of Google up and running with directions to Severn Beach via bike, I knew that the Severn Beach service was running around 10 down (late arrival into Temple Meads) so had a chance of getting ahead of schedule, if I could get to Severn Beach station in under 20 minutes.
Nice little ride along a country road, joining up with a main dual-carriageway before the GPS suggesting a narrow bridleway and when I spotted the station signs, seeing the sight of a 158 on the platform gave me a extra bit of energy as I jumped onto dud 158763 and let out a big breath as it started on its journey, roughly 10 minutes down. Focus now shifting to the Severn Beach branch, with the next shack being
Sea Mills, quite a basic shack with a foot crossing. Dud 150234 rolled in (having sat at Clifton Downs for 10 minutes due to the single track) to take me to
Avonmouth, where it terminated. Changing over to the other carriage and taking the service to
Clifton Downs.
Noticing that to try and get the branch back on time, the next service to Avonmouth was cancelled, and noticing a little shopping centre allowed me to buy a light afternoon snack from Boots before riding down the road to
Redland to sit and eat my sandwich when waiting for 150234 to roll back in once more (was expecting the 158), this time heading towards Severn Beach where I jumped off at the request stop of
St Andrews Road, located next to a large industrial area, its not the best looking station in the world, but it must have been a shift-change at one of the units as around 10 others boarded the service when 150234 arrived back in (once again), taking me to
Shirehampton. Another basic shack, down a little path from a dual carriageway, you wouldnt know it was there if passing by road.
Anyhow, I didnt have long to wait before 158763 arrived back, which I took all the way to the end of the line at Severn Beach, before changing seats and back out towards Clifton Down. I noticed when planning that this service seems to randomly sit at Clifton Down for 15 minutes which gave me a challenge, unfolding the bike and away I spun across Clifton, passing Redland and reaching
Montpelier a good 5 minutes before 158763 arrived. A quick check of RTT saw the chance to get the two stations on the main-line cleared, so it was to
Lawrence Hill, crossing over the platform to board a Parkway bound service formed of duds 150247 & 153329 to
Stapleton Road, and it was time for another bike ride.
Riding to Bristol Temple Meads (side streets before joining the former trackbed of the Midland Mangotsfield and Bath Branch Line on the Bath-Bristol railway path, running alongside a rusty track towards a waste depot (which used to be the line to Bristol St Philips station in the 1950s), I arrived into Temple Meads with time to spare before the next Bath bound service, formed of a busy-ish 158951. Under the subway at Bath Spa and watching the platform for the London bound platform getting quite busy waiting for one of the last HSTs back to London (around 20:30?). Anyhow duds 150238 & 158953 had arrived to take me to another new shack of the evening, this time at
Oldfield Park in the suburbs of Bath. Long ramps to get between platforms (I decided to unfold the bike and push it up rather than carry it as it was getting heavy now and my arm was tired).
Next up was dud 150247 which I had a moment of thinking, as I had a 15 minute connection at Bradford on Avon for the SWT service (had the idea of going back to Keynsham), I could bail at Avoncliff and ride the couple miles along the canal towpath & river path), so I decided it would be another shack cleared, so I alighted at the local door only
Avoncliff, up the stairs and doing something I havent done in years, rode around the towpath towards Bradford-on-Avon, coming off the tow-path at the former swing bridge and along the river path, reaching
Bradford-On-Avon. Technically not a new shack for me, but the last time I used it was probably 10+ years ago, so it was nice to get back in touch with my youth.
A quick random check of RTT saw a potential to clear a slightly annoying shack, giving a 25 minute connection, however the service from Cardiff was running 20 minutes down at this point, so I gave the 159 a miss and waited. Mixed messages of formed of 6 coaches, full and standing, front 3 will detach at Westbury, which all were lies, yes it was formed of 6 coaches, but the rear 3 were locked out of use as they would detach at Westbury and the front coach was mostly empty. 158957 was leading with 150106 & 153370 on the back, departed Westbury 20 down, and arrived at
Dilton Marsh Another local-door only shack as my bike was unfolded for the wheel down the slope, under the railway bridge and up the slope for the Westbury bound platform, which was quite busy with some slightly drunk ladies. A late running Cardiff passed through the station before a service from Southampton towards Bristol, and it was 153372.
To give you an idea how small the platforms at Dilton Marsh are, even a 153 is local-door only, back to Westbury where I alighted to have a little wait on P1, watching the cleaners come in to give 153380, 150106 & 153370 a quick clean, before 158887 arrived to roll down P1 waiting for the final southbound service of the evening, which was formed of 159014, attaching to the 158 for the peaceful run into Salisbury via the nothingness of Salisbury plain. Bike into the car for a nice drive home, the end of a busy day in FGW land, only 7 new winning haulages, but with 22 new shacks cleared. Day 1 of 8 was a success.
153372 at Castle Cary
FGW hire-in 158887 at Melksham, big train small platform
43010 approaching Frome
Chetnole:
153329 & 150247 departing Nailsea & Backwell
Oh dear, I have missed my train, only a week to go until the next stopper:
Wales is that way:
Sea Mills:
St Andrews Road
Dilton Marsh at 22:35...
-------
5th July Super FoSS Day 2
The idea of day 2 was to make a good effort at clearing out the many shacks in SWT main-line land, plus the local shacks between Swanwick & St Denys, so it was a nice early morning drive to Romsey, via the Co-Op in Stockbridge to pick up some Halls for a slight cough, annoyingly a van was parked in my normal space at the side of the road next to Romsey station, so I parked elsewhere and walked back to the station, where I said to myself when seeing the roof of the 8:19 to Fareham [would normally be Brighton but the line between Fareham & Cosham was closed] that looks like a 150. And I was right when I got the station and it was a 150.
And I was right, it was winning
150926, my first 150/9 hybrid unit, formed with one half of a 150/2 in the middle of 150126, quite unexpected (and I wouldnt want to be on it for its next service from Fareham all the way to Cardiff as its mostly high-den 3+2 seating), anyhow it arrived into Southampton Central bang on time, giving me a few minutes to make a movement outside the station to pick up a nice cold drink & something to eat for breakfast, from the little Co-Op. Back to the station, the service from Basingstoke for Poole & Fareham had arrived, I was expecting for it to be a pair of 450s (not knowing the length of the platforms between Fareham & Southampton), but it was a pair of 444s, and I noticed the coach number of the rear unit which was going to Fareham.
It ended in 17, my last 444,
444017, which managed to hide from me for the last 6 months, happy days, yippee, class cleared and all that. Sadly t7he Wi-Fi wasnt working (was connecting, but when you came to hitting accept T&Cs and hitting log-in, kept coming back with connection issues, happened on most of the 444s so probably issues with the ISP), anyhow, 444017 took me to my first new shack of the day in the shape of
Bursledon, next to a harbour/marina, but not a lot else (which I could see). 444008 was the next unit to roll in to take me back towards Southampton to
Bitterne. A few minutes later 444039 rolled up to take me to
Hamble, which is actually a shack, local door only for the 444s due to a short platform.
The next service back towards Southampton wasnt due for 25 minutes, Google was suggesting a 22 minute walk back to
Netley (not that far in terms of rail miles, but not a direct road), which I managed to do in just under 20 minutes, involving a pause to cross the road when the pavement suddenly decided to come to an end. Pausing briefly before jumping back onto 444017 to take me back towards Southampton towards
Woolston, where I had my 2nd planned walks, this was a bit easier as the road ran pretty much alongside the track via housing so not that busy, walking back to my final shack in this part of the network in the shape of
Sholing.
When I was walking I was thinking would it be possible to beat the train back to Southampton Central by jumping off with a bike at Woolston and ride over the bridge to the city when the train makes its slow way up the side of the river to cross at St Denys? Anyhow 444007 was the unit on duty to take me to Fareham. Why Fareham you might ask, well it was for a micro grind, 444007 rolled in onto P3, emptied out before reversing out of the station and coming back into P1 where it would sit for 30-odd minutes for the next hourly service, in the meanwhile 158958 rolled in from Southampton, where it was stabled on P5, into the rarely used platform 2, the bay platform at Fareham. Anyhow it was a few minutes before the doors were released into the warm unit (AC wasnt working in coach C, so the guard opened up the windows) for the short run back to Southampton Central.
It was lunch time, and I had a 8 minute gap before the next Weymouth service was due in, so I hopped across the platforms for a quick Co-Op raid (that shop is so useful) before coming back to P4 to jump onto 444018 which was leading 444034 for a short leap to Brockenhurst. Over the new footbridge to the P1/P2 island to await the stopper back to Southampton, formed today of 444038, I made sure I was located in the front coach as the next shack was another local-door only due to tiny platforms, a shack which sees a lot more trains stopping on Sundays, than during the week (hourly on Sundays, 2-hourly during the week), the station in the middle of nowhere at
Beaulieu Road. What a lovely day for walk/bike ride in the New Forest I thought as I crossed the road bridge to get to the other platform. 444005 rolled in, boarding via the 2nd door and I took a seat for the short run back to Brockenhurst.
I had a decision, either stay on to do Sway, or leap off at Brockenhurst and do the shack on the Lymington branch. I decided to leap off at Brockenhurst, crossing over to jump onto 450544 which was being stressed out today with going up and down the little branch line. I alighted at the only intermediate station on the line at
Lymington Town, before having a quick look around the station before 450544 rolled back in from the pier to take me back to Brockenhurst. Brief moment of rest once over the footbridge before 444031 rolled in to take me to
Ashurst New Forest. It was a bit of a tight connection here (2 minutes), but quite doable with the footbridge, over to the other platform to jump onto 444015 back to Brockenhurst. I had planned to catch the XC service to Bournemouth but that was running 15 minutes down and had been overtaken on route by the Weymouth train at Basingstoke, so no Voyager action for me today.
444025 & 444040 rolled in, which took me to Bournemouth where 444040 was detached (as you cant take 10 cars down to Weymouth) and continued down the line, beautiful line. In a moment where I had an internet connection I did some research and found a FGW service heading to Weymouth would arrive into Dorchester West 15 minutes after this service would get into Dorchester South, with a 3 minute connection at Upwey. So my plan had changed and I stayed on board to the county town of Dorset at
Dorchester South, only using one platform today (Im guessing during the week where there is 2 trains to Weymouth an hour they pass at Dorchester due to the single track section). A quick walk across a few roads following the signposts took me to
Dorchester West, the point where the mostly single track Heart of Wessex line begins (passing points at Maiden Newton & Yeovil Pen Mill), to await the FGW from Westbury.
Duds 150249 & 150216 were the units today, which I took for a nice short run to Upwey, crossing over the bridge to the Up platform, ready for the SWT Waterloo service to arrive. Formed of 444001, which took me to
Moreton. Moreton is one of those annoying stations with a level crossing between platforms, so thankfully I had a good connection before 444004 rolled back in to take me all the way to the end of the line at
Weymouth, for the first time since February 13 (or whenever SWT had a £10 Rainbow day promotional fare from Salisbury), before I recorded my logs. Over the platform to re-board 444025, getting a nice table seat in the leading coach to use the power sockets for a quick charge of my tablet device, where I stayed on for a good run back to
Parkstone.
Over the footbridge at the station located in the Poole suburbs, to catch 444006 for another long trip back west to
Wool. Over the platform for a short wait before 444004 arrived back from Weymouth to take me to
Hamworthy. 30 minute fester time here to wait for another service, which was used for a quick walk (nothing really of interest around, apart from housing), so back to the station to await the next Weymouth, and it was another 444, 444028 this time, taking me to my 2nd last shack to the west of Bournemouth (the last being Horton Heath which is closed on Sundays) at
Wareham.
A brief wonder around the area, to find nothing, so back to the platform to await the arrival of the service from Weymouth, this time it was 444019 which was running a couple minutes late, but gained the time back when at Bournemouth where it ran into the back of 444034 for the journey back to
New Milton. Over the footbridge for a brief wait before 444015 arrived to take me back west to
Hinton Admiral. Over the footbridge and a quick wonder around the station later, 444005 rolled in to take me back to Southampton Central, where I had a choice. 1st was the final FGW Cardiff of the evening, 2nd was the SWT service to Salisbury or 3rd was the SWT to Romsey via Eastleigh. After checking the FGW, and finding it was a dud (on the lookout for 158962), I did a quick Co-Op raid for something to eat for dinner (as Romsey is lacking in takeaways, and there is nothing much on the way home).
I noticed 158882 was on the Romsey service via Eastleigh, so I decided to add some extra miles onto this particular 158 (only previously had on a leap to Westbury from Salisbury & a Southampton Airport to Romsey leap), and took it for the nice run via Chandlers Ford to Romsey. Walking back to the car, and with a nice drive home, the end of a busy day, the end of a busy weekend, only 2 unexpected winners in the bag, but with 18 new shacks cleared, a job for another day on my rover to clear the remaining 4 shacks out west (Horton Heath, Pokesdown for Boscombe, Christchurch & Sway).
The 444s are nice enough units, but for ones designed for intercity duties serving an airport and holiday destinations at Bournemouth & Weymouth, they do lack storage space for suitcases.
150926 at Southampton Central:
444017, we meet at last, at Bursledon
444008 at Bitterne:
Who wants to ride 150926 from Fareham to Cardiff?
158958 at Fareham
Beaulieu Road
450544 approaching Lymington
444031 departing Ashurst New Forest
Moreton (Dorset) Nicer area than the other Moreton in Merseyside
Wool
------------
6th July Super FoSS Day 3
A nice and easy post-work shack attack today, down into 159 country, mainly the West of England line west of Salisbury where I had a massive gap between stations, so after a quick walk to the station to buy my day return to Salisbury, I sat back to relax waiting for the 17:07 to Gillingham. Formed of 159001 & 159010 with 159010 detaching at Salisbury, the guard was very friendly and was the first to mention about my cheap season ticket between the Lichfield stations. I think next year I will do the Ryde season ticket, might cost a bit extra but the free SWT tickets would come in handy.
Anyhow I stayed on board to the end of the line where it terminated at
Gillingham, using the passing loop at platform 2. Over the footbridge and with a short wait before 159004 arrived with 159107 in tow. Making sure I was in 159004 as due to a short platform, only the doors in the front unit would be released as
Tisbury. Alighting at the station and with a short wait before Exeter bound 159101 & 159014 arrived to take me to
Sherborne where I had a tight connection if I wanted to get Templecombe out of the way.
Leaping over the footbridge, I jumped onto 159020 via the door the guard was at, having closed the other doors, a few seconds later and I would have missed it. Back east to
Templecombe, the old platform being in good keeping with the new extension from the car-park side (to stop passengers having to go over an old footbridge which is fenced off now). Bit of a brief wait before 159106 arrived to take me to
Yeovil Junction where it terminated (and soon after departed out east, a driver training ECS to Pen Mill for the new services when they come in?)
Yeovil has 2 stations, neither which are no-where near the town centre, at least Pen Mill has housing around it, Junction (or Yeovil parkway as I should call it) has nothing around it, apart from the Yeovil railway society. The footbridge from the car-park to the island platform looks like it was sliced in half when the other island platform stopped being used by passenger trains. Around 28 minutes later, zombies attacked Yeovil, but I was on my away to
Crewkerne on 159008, which was another nice station, but far away from the town centre (a road-sign said 1.5 miles).
Festering time at Crewkerne, wondering what to do this coming Saturday, before 159019 & 158890 rolled in, yes a 158 had found itself down in Exeter, which seemed strange, but nice to get a bit of 158 thrash until Tisbury loop where we waited 5 minutes for another Exeter bound service, where I changed units into the 159, as the 158 was being detached at Salisbury. Arrival into Grateley was on time and at 21:37, time to have a walk home and have some food.
No new winning units, sadly no more 159s cleared for 500 miles, but 6 new shacks on a local line.
Disused footbridge at Templecombe leading to the disused platform
Its like someone has taken an axe to it (at Yeovil Junction)