Last 2 weeks in February, out on the 16th, back on the 26th.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
24th January – A trip to the West Midlands
My aim of today was to try and get some new units around the West Midlands area, such a large area covered by the Daytripper ticket for a reasonable price. Thanks for Techni to give me some ideas of potential leaps to score various units.
159008 was the SWT unit on Salisbury to Basingstoke duties, terminating at Basingstoke and it was rather empty, although on a frosty January Saturday morning, it wasn’t that surprising. I had an option of checking the FGW unit on the Reading shuttle before joining the XC service at Reading West, the 159 arrived into P4 which was nice, but sadly tremendous dud 165118 rolled in, so deciding to give it a miss, I headed to buy a newspaper from the station café to await the XC service to Manchester.
A rather empty (for a 220) rolled in, and it was winner 220020, which took me up to Banbury, but not via Reading due to engineering works with the viaduct, so via the Reading West curve underneath the viaduct and onto the relief lines, I had a nice table seat to relax, arrival into Banbury was 10 minutes down due to being held up around the Didcot area. First time at Banbury station for a fair while, sadly I had to change to Chiltern as XC don’t allow usage of the Gold Card north of Banbury. Winners 168216 and 172101 rolled in, my first Chiltern 172 (nice surprise), and a nice little run towards Leamington Spa.
My plan to try and buy the Network Daytripper ticket with ‘Add-on” failed, so it was onto winner 165027 on stopper duties for a short trip to Dorridge, another new station for me. Across the bridge and to buy the required tickets, the daytripper was fine (and printed on Network West Midlands stock), but the add-on ticket was a bit of a puzzle (the add-on allows travel to Leamington, Stratford-Upon-Avon & Lichfield City), he sold me some sort of add-on ticket, no idea what one it was (£2.50 cost), but did the trick. I had a quick option for a bus-stop dash to Widney Manor to make a 3 minute connection with a Stratford upon Avon train, with the aim of getting some new track of Hatton north [previously I had only used the South curve via Chiltern].
Winner 172335 was on a service heading north towards Snow Hill, the doors closed but it had to wait for a delayed XC service, so my 3 minute connection turned into a zero connection, as winner 172340 arrived at pretty much the same time. Thankfully I guessed the location of the bridge correct and made it in the nick of time, being careful with some icy patches on the bridge. The ride to Stratford is rather boring, as it’s in a cutting before opening out to fields passing a couple limited service stations, passed the new Stratford Parkway and down to Stratford where the line used to continue all the way down to the Spa at Cheltenham. Nice new bridge is being built at the station so it is bit of a worksite. 15 minutes later 172340 began its journey back towards Birmingham, where I stayed on until Solihull.
Chiltern winner 168113 arrived for the short journey towards Moor Street where I had a minute or so connection with a London bound service formed of 168002, departing from P1 (so started at Snow Hill), my first 168/0 with the Turbo style front end. I stayed on for the trip back to Solihull with a 15 minute wait before the next service back towards Moor Street, formed of dud 172213, rather busy 2-car model, which I alighted at Moor Street with a couple minute wait before Chiltern winner 168106 took me the short distance through the Snow Hill tunnel into Snow Hill station itself. Time to break for some lunch and I had the option of either Tesco or Sainsburys just outside the station, so Tesco it was for a nice sandwich meal-deal. Yum Yum.
Back at Snow Hill a few minutes later for the 10-minute frequency of the Snow Hill Lines, with dud 172220 emptying out and I alighted at the south end of the tunnel to await the next Solihull bound service (giving a Chiltern a miss due to it being a known dud). Dud 172340 returned to take me to Solihull, with a short break before winner 172222 arrived to take me back to Moor, where a repeat of the previous saw me jumping onto winner 168217 for the distance to Snow Hill. I made a mistake in boarding the Dorridge bound service formed of winner 172332, should have stayed for the next service towards Whitlocks End, to score another 172. I crossed over the footbridge at Moor Street to get onto dud 168108 back to Solihull for another short wait.
New dud 172332 (see my mistake) returned from Dorridge where I stayed on until Moor Street, repeating myself with dud 168216 making a comeback (without the 172 attached this time) for the trip towards Snow Hill, waiting as winner 172215, packed with football fans heading towards the big game, hence Bordesley was actually open, however I decided not to stay on 215 and ditched at Moor Street, watching the police marshalling fans outside on the street. To the bay platforms to get onto an Mk3 hauled set, leading was DVT 82303 with DBS branded 67018 at the back; sadly the carriage next to the 67 was rather busy so I couldn’t get a seat to get some 67 noise. First time on a Chiltern Mk3 set for a good few months (October 13 was the last time on a Chiltern 25p each-way day)
To Solihull (again), with another little break before a busy looking known dud 172 arrived with football fans, I decided to wait at Solihull for the Chiltern following, although that was dud 168215, at least I got a seat as I stayed on until Snow Hill. When at Moor Street I spotted 168005 in the front of another 168, thinking they might be joining up for a double set back to London, I headed back towards Moor on winners 172342/172212, and sadly 168005 had disappeared again leaving just a known dud 168/1 on the platform. Change of attack plan, as I headed towards New Street via the subway.
Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to go, what to do, I decided to jump onto a Shrewsbury bound double winners 170513/170509, to hop towards Sandwell & Dudley, for some reason. Next was a winning 323211 for the short hop to Dudley Port, a quite narrow island platform which is quite dangerous to hang around as the XCs fly though. Winner 323220 took me back to Smethwick Galton Bridge, where I had a couple minute wait for dud 350242 to arrive coming back from Liverpool. Back to New Street, and across to make a ~3 minute connection for a Euston bound service formed of dud 350265, staying on until Birmingham International. I think the next time I do one of these daytrippers I will go 350 hunting.
Birmingham International, where I was pleased to alight from a busy train, with a short wait before an empty winning Cross Country 220024 arrived, another 220 ticked off my list, gives me phone a little extra boost. Into Coventry, the limit of the daytripper zone (Coventry to Leamington line isn’t included), where it was quite busy with Rugby fans, thankfully the majority of them cleared when a 390/1 arrived heading towards Euston. I was on dog-box look-out, to see what London Midland 153 was on the Nuneaton – Coventry service today, requiring 6 out of the 7 units the odds were in my flavour, and when I saw winner 153371 tipping up, I was happy.
Buying the ticket for a return to Nuneaton to board for a nice trip to Nuneaton and back to Coventry, some lovely dog-box action. Next service towards New Street was a Virgin, where I have my required VWC units on my phone, as I had the option of a London Midland 350 which was following to get back to International. Thankfully the back-up 350 wasn’t needed as the Virgin was a winner, 390154. To International to see what pair of 158s was on the ATW service towards the Welsh coast, dud 158839 was leading with winner 158841 behind, happy days. Back to New Street with a 10 or so minute connection with a XC 170 heading towards Cardiff which stops at University, winning unit 170110 arrived which was good and with a new station scored at University.
Didn’t stay around University for long as dud 170112 arrived around the same time, so back to New Street for me, quite a busy train, but not as busy as dud 390127 heading towards Euston, thankfully I only had to stand until international where I alighted, heading over for some ATW 158 spotting, winner 158832 was leading with dud 158829 behind, so another ATW 158 ticked off. To New Street, where I hung around to board dud 220033 heading towards Reading, slightly busy but I managed to find a table seat which was reserved from Manchester to Oxford, nobody there so either a no-show or they picked somewhere else to sit.
You might be wondering why I was boarding a XC service when previously I mentioned that the line between Coventry & Leamington was excluded, well it is excluded, but this service doesn’t use that particular line, it doesn’t go via International/Coventry, but runs non-stop to Leamington Spa via Solihull & Warwick, the train manager checking tickets being a bit confused with my tickets (Daytripper & the Add-On) but valid to the network west midlands diagram. First time going towards Leamington in that direction (previously covered that line in December heading towards Stockport on the Thursday evening), 25 minute wait at Leamington, where we arrived 5 minutes early, so I had the option of either catching a 168 towards Warwick to try and get another Chiltern unit from Stratford-Upon-Avon back to Leamington where it was terminating, or trying to find somewhere to grab some dinner.
Search for dinner was the winner, knowing I didn’t have that much time at Banbury or at Basingstoke, so I headed out eventually finding a little Spar which had some sort of baguette meal-deal, lots of various takeaways around the town centre, but nothing which took my fancy. Back to Leamington to await the Marylebone service, formed of winner 168214 for the single station leap to Banbury where I could use my gold card on XC. Dud 220020 (same unit as in the morning) was the service to take me towards Basingstoke via Reading West curve, where it arrived into Basingstoke a couple minutes early, which thanks to the Staines diversions the SWT 159s were pushed back 5 minutes (so departure was at 22:13 rather than 22:08), which was running around 5 minutes late, so I had time to relax before a quiet 159016/159019 arrived to take me back home.
A busy day around the West Midlands, I will be back around that area later in the year, maybe even on a weekday trip. So many difference options to pick from in that area, new units 28, including my first recorded Chiltern 67 & DVT, 168/0 & 172. Rock and roll
25th January – London trip
No real plan for today’s Sunday trip to London, just an unplanned day out, although with engineering works my options were more limited, but I through to see what happens. After a brief walk to the station to catch the 7:35-wibble service to Basingstoke, formed today of 159001, for an uneventful trip to Basingstoke where it terminated due to Wimbledon. Unlike on a Saturday where the Basingstoke terminators have good connections the early Sunday morning’s connection is with the stopper (or wait 30 minutes for one from Southampton), today it was formed of winner 450032, as I took my usual seat opposite the guard’s office.
Alighting at Brookwood (new station for me) to wait a couple minutes (you could see the headlights in the background waiting for the signals to clear) for the service from Alton which was due to attach with 032 at Woking. Formed of double winners 450555/450570 for the short hop to Woking where after it crashed into 032 the doors were released, and I crossed over to P2 to await the train from Southampton (and Portsmouth), would it be one of the magical trios of required 444s? Nope, 444031/444019 was the units for today’s magical tour via sunny Staines.
I alighted at Clapham to wait a couple minutes for a service from Portsmouth via Guildford (which departed Woking 15 minutes after the double 444s, but due to the speed restrictions of the 444s arrived 2/3 minutes afterwards. Another pair of winning 450/5s, with 450563 leading 450558 for a short hop to Waterloo overtaking the double 444s I had left behind, arriving with a few minutes to spare for the Shepperton bound stopper, the last service departing Waterloo for 18-odd minutes, didn’t have that much choice as it was a pair of duds, 455714/455859 for the trip back to Clapham.
Back into Waterloo on the next set with dud 450005 leading with winner 450127 behind, and back out to Vauxhall on dud 450119 leading winner 450021. Next stop Clapham with the next double 455s, leading was winner 455874 with dud 455872 behind. A couple duds later and some winning 450s tipped up in the shape of 450564 & 450008, to take me back towards Waterloo in time for the break, so heading over to Waterloo East which was open (Charing Cross was open and Cannon Street was closed today), which gave me an option of doing London Bridge non-stop to see the work, with a Lewisham leap.
Winners 465243/465164 took me towards Lewisham (wow at London Bridge rebuilding), and back into Waterloo East after a last minute platform change on winner 465049 leading dud 465237, 3 more 465s crossed off. Via Tesco Express before I reached Waterloo to have a look at what was departing in the next 10 minutes, pair of dud 444s, trio of dud 450s, but what caught my eye was a winning 458/0, dud 458029 was leading winner 458028, my 2nd to last outstanding 458/0 with the remaining 458s having gone to Doncaster to be introduced to part of a 460 (last one is 458022). This double 458 took me to Vauxhall where I had a couple options, but all were duds so I headed to the underground.
The Victoria line took me towards Kings Cross St Pancras, where I headed towards Kings Cross first of all, first 3 units checked were duds, but when I was going to pack it in to head to St Pancras (before I found out that Thameslink was flooded at Farringdon) winner 313025 rolled in, departing in 10 minutes so I decided to take a seat and relax. Alighting at Finsbury I crossed over to P2 (anybody noticed how strange that the P1-P2 Island hasn’t got ticket barriers when the other platforms have?) for a dud-filled 30 minutes, 6 sets stopped, all 6 were duds, quite annoying, so I called it a day and went down to the underground.
The Victoria line took me to Highbury & Islington where the North London Line was closed, but the East London Line was open for business, some sideways action on 378s I felt was needed, some linear bashing down to Canada Water. First up was 378225 to Dalston Junction, crossing to a bay platform to get onto 378144 down to Haggerston, with 378151 taking me the next bus stop to Hoxton, 3 minutes later 378142 took me to Shoreditch High Street, one of the few Overground stations in Zone 1. 378150 was next to Whitechapel, where the underground trains go over the overground, with 378153 towards Shadwell. Back to the dual-voltage units as 378202 took me to Wapping, north of the river, the sound of water was quite strong. Next bus stop leap to Rotherhithe was in the hands of 378203; with 378143 taking care of the tiny distance to Canada Water (you can actually see the platforms of Rotherhithe from Canada Water). My first dud 378 of the day with 378204 down to Surrey Quays, before I headed north, ignoring one unit as I had it already before winner 378140 arrived to Canada Water, where I went down to the underground.
Not the Victoria line this time, but the Jubilee line, to its terminus at Stratford where I had my eye on doing a quick hop on some AGA units, mainly the 315s on a cut-down service. First up was dud 315802 leading winner 315844, where after looking at RTT saw a potential changeover at Maryland, but it was looking fine when 802/844 departed 3 minutes late, but thankfully I made it across the bridge and down onto the platform just as dud 315806 arrived with winner 315834 behind. Checking RTT saw a 3 minute connection with a fast to Romford service, although only a single dusty bin today, in the shape of winner 321445. 5 minute break at Romford before winner 321440 took me back to Stratford, where another tight connection saw me onto winner 315826 & dud 315831 towards Forest Gate. Slight delay of the inbound service which I was thinking was going to be 844/802 making its way back, but was winners 315804/315847, back to Stratford, where I called my AGA trip a day and went down to the underground.
West Ham and C2C land was in my sights, making out a rough plan to cover some units on the limited service they operate on Sundays, and all 357s were winners (which made a change from the last time I did C2C on a Sunday where all 3 units were duds). 357208 took me into Fenchurch Street for the first time of the year, with 357206 taking me back out to West Ham. Crossing over the island platform with 357044 arriving, with an annoyed cyclist as he had to move his bike as it was blocking the door (and even more annoyed at Limehouse where he had to move from laying with feet high on the table to shift it again). Into Fenchurch Street and across to P4 where a double awaited me, 357046 leading 357221 back to West Ham where I decided to call it a day on C2C land and went down to the underground.
Quick hop to Canada Water, for no reason other than to try and get another couple 378s, north on winner 378152 before heading south on dud 378207, using Rotherhithe as a base as the bridge is easy enough to cross platforms. Back to the Jubilee line, and to Waterloo where I was going to have a quick look on route to the Bakerloo line, to get to Paddington. I saw dud 444006 leading 444004, one of the required trio, so I jumped on it without really thinking, and it looked tight at Clapham, 1 minute connection with an inbound service before a 13 minute break, I made the connection onto duds 159021/159020, which were quite busy (and the best example of an idiotic passenger standing by the door-way when lots of passengers were trying to alight, justice was served as the train arrived into Waterloo with opposite set of doors opening. 28-odd minutes to get to Paddington and onto the Plymouth train departing at 18:57, so guess what... I went down to the underground.
1 minute the Bakerloo line train was due in, giving me 8-odd minutes spare with the average journey time, “train approaching” came on, but no train appeared, the times disappeared and 4 minutes later a set arrived. Apart from a longer than expected stop at Regent’s Park it was a nice and easy trip, although that delay cut down my time down to mere 4 minutes, so I legged it, making the main-line station just as the doors were starting to be closed and jumped on the first available door and walked through, leading was dud 43185 with winner 43170 behind, keeping my run of having one dud and one winning powercar on FGW HSTs, finding a seat to relax as it sped towards Reading, going slowly until Slough in the relief track before speeding up to reach Reading 5 minutes down, thankfully it went into P7 and I had the advantage of knowing that the Basingstoke train would probably be held up in Reading for the HST to clear, another dash to P2 noticing it was my least favourite 165, 165118, making its 10th appearance on my unit log, which is quite good going as its less than a year old. Nice slow trip to Basingstoke arriving 3 minutes down, involving another leg it to get to P2, where packed 159020/159021 arrived, it stayed packed, standing room only until Andover where the odd space appeared. I managed to get one of the door seats for the last few minutes. Next time I will try and time to get onto the 159s which start at Basingstoke rather than the 2 hourly London service, idea that they will be a bit quieter....
And so I headed to the underground
